Saints vs Hull - Build Up

Lighthouse

No sign of JRod in the build-up video. I thought he was back doing 'normal' training with the squad now?

I wouldn't have thought he'd be part of the full normal training if i'm honest. I reckon, what RK was referring to, was that he'd be back to some resemblance of ball training - albeit light. There's no way, after a year out, that he'd be able to do the same structure as the current squad. He'll probably get some U21 games over the next few weeks, and I think we could probably see him involved in the full training in about 3 or so weeks, and then another week of that until he plays.

My friends like this page even more now. [emoji1]

Thanks for the kind welcome Saints!!

TBH, Good effort but I do prefer Glasgow's other hilarious alter egos, like the ace "Aziz Yebda" and that brilliant "Turkish" character

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the tactics. Until we scored (which was 4 minutes before half time) it was a relatively open game, from which you'd expect the side in the top 6 to beat the side in the bottom 3 pretty much every time, especially as we still had the better defence even without Wanyama. When we scored, we protected the lead.

Had we been playing with both Wanyama and Schneiderlin we probably wouldn't have had as many defensive scares, but we certainly wouldn't have created as many chances either. Hindsight shows Koeman got it spot on, even though we lost the first choice keeper we STILL didn't concede and he was right to start with a more attacking side and get the goal before shutting the game down. It has nothing to do with "we were toilet", it has everything to do with the balance of defending and attacking players, and needing to win home games against weaker teams.

Plus, as I've said numerous times already, most bottom sides won't even try to attack like Burnley, and will be happy to kill time and play for a 0-0, meaning the onus is very much on Saints to be more attacking, knowing the away team won't offer much attacking threat even if we do have one fewer defensive player than usual. West Brom home at the start of the season was the very definition of Saints being too defensive and not threatening enough. We were never going to concede in that game, but we didn't look attacking enough to score either. Top 6 sides go out to win these games, and Saints in particular need all the players going forward that we can afford to get a goal. Once we're leading I don't care if we stick 11 players on the goalline, but you don't win matches without scoring at least once.

But the 'tactic' didn't work! We didn't create anymore chances that we do when they both play. Whether Ron was hoping not to need Vic or was hoping to protect his yellow card situation I'm not sure but it was an experiment that didn't work. They had far more chances than us and deserved to go in at ht in front. If that was the tactic then it wasntva very good one!

But the 'tactic' didn't work! We didn't create anymore chances that we do when they both play. Whether Ron was hoping not to need Vic or was hoping to protect his yellow card situation I'm not sure but it was an experiment that didn't work. They had far more chances than us and deserved to go in at ht in front. If that was the tactic then it wasntva very good one!

We went 1-0 up. It worked.

Two of Burnley's 3 shots in the first half came after we'd scored in the near 10 minutes left after our 41st minute goal due to added time for Forster's injury - if anything we should have brought Wanyama straight on - but at that point we were 1 up at home to a bottom side who'd only had 1 shot up to that point. Plus in that time period between our goal and half time we also had 3 shots (including Pelle hitting the bar), still more than Burnley had.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313683/commentary

Edited by The9

We went 1-0 up. It worked.

Two of Burnley's 3 shots in the first half came after we'd scored in the near 10 minutes left after our 41st minute goal due to added time for Forster's injury - if anything we should have brought Wanyama straight on - but at that point we were 1 up at home to a bottom side who'd only had 1 shot up to that point. Plus in that time period between our goal and half time we also had 3 shots (including Pelle hitting the bar), still more than Burnley had.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313683/commentary

We looked a lot less convincing defensively and no more convincing attacking wise so no I don't think it worked. To say it worked because we went 1-0 up doesn't really really tell the true tale really does it? We've gone 1-0 in front plenty of times this season against similar opposition and with Vic and Morgan playing together.

Expect Saints to continue with a stumble into the end of season and lose so as to provide Hull fans with a glimmer of hope. 0 - 2. There will likely be some booing at the final whistle too. Maybe.

lol. Luckily you post like this most weeks, and you're wrong most weeks.

We looked a lot less convincing defensively and no more convincing attacking wise so no I don't think it worked. To say it worked because we went 1-0 up doesn't really really tell the true tale really does it? We've gone 1-0 in front plenty of times this season against similar opposition and with Vic and Morgan playing together.

Not sure how we looked no more convincing in attack. We created 4 decent scoring opportunities in the half. Admittedly everything's relative, but we've been having whole halves without a shot on target recently.

There are no "similar opposition" to Burnley, no other bottom half sides who have come to attack and certainly none who work as hard. It was a completely unique situation. This weekend we'll be back to a side parking the bus and hoping for a point, for which 2 defensive midfielders is unnecessary.

As we move nearer the end of the season with Sunderland and Leicester both trying to stay up and us playing away, we might encounter a couple more bottom half sides trying to have a go, but until then, one DM at home, maybe two away (and definitely at Stoke and Man City).

Edited by The9

Steve Bruce LOVES us. He always talks us up and is never anything but complimentary about us. I like him actually, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Steve Bruce. I've never understood why he's never linked with England. I'm not saying he should be England manager but he'd be a far better option than some of the lot that get linked. His squad selections would be better than Hodgson's too.

Steve Bruce LOVES us. He always talks us up and is never anything but complimentary about us. I like him actually, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Steve Bruce. I've never understood why he's never linked with England. I'm not saying he should be England manager but he'd be a far better option than some of the lot that get linked. His squad selections would be better than Hodgson's too.

Reckon we must do the best food or something he loves us so much.

Steve-Bruce.jpg

I can see hull really going for the win here. Don't see them sitting back and bus-parking. They have nothing to lose when you look at their remaining fixtures, they need to drag a couple of unlikely wins out of somewhere and I'd guess on current form they'd probably see us as one of the teams they could get 3 points from.

I think we'll win though. 2-1 saints, Pellè to break his drought.

His teams always do well for a couple of seasons and then go down the pan

Why was Ronald Koeman so downbeat in his two pre-match videos, seemed quite depressed to me and without his usual self-confident humour, so what;s bugging him do you think? Confirmation behind the scenes that Morgan & Clyne are going? Blocking from Les on recent performances? Whatever, I prefer the happy up-beat version. Hope it's a temporary blip and not something we should we worrying about as well.

Why was Ronald Koeman so downbeat in his two pre-match videos, seemed quite depressed to me and without his usual self-confident humour, so what;s bugging him do you think? Confirmation behind the scenes that Morgan & Clyne are going? Blocking from Les on recent performances? Whatever, I prefer the happy up-beat version. Hope it's a temporary blip and not something we should we worrying about as well.

Tired, he is getting to the end of the season. Whatever happnens, this has been a successful season, but I bet Koeman has already started planning for next season and he is aware of the need for strengthening particularly in terms of goal scoring. Also, getting into Europe will be a burden with very little value in return.

I would take mid table obscurity in an instant if it was handed to me now.

Genuinely not sure who would win in a competition of being nice between brucey and ronald

Same as a few people I'd guess, sees good performances invalidated by lack of goals from the front men, didn't he say that we lacked quality in attack when speaking of the Everton game ?

That would initiate an even bigger rush of players to leave the club than last year, and less enthusiasm for talented footballers to sign for us - as you know.

Tired, he is getting to the end of the season. Whatever happnens, this has been a successful season, but I bet Koeman has already started planning for next season and he is aware of the need for strengthening particularly in terms of goal scoring. Also, getting into Europe will be a burden with very little value in return.

Glad to see you've set higher standards than a squeaky bum finish for 17th spot :lol: