Leicester vs SAINTS Build Up Thread

nta786

Djuriric had his best game against palace - it was a shame that the international break then came and he got injured. Not done enough yet but i'm neutral on him and certainly haven't written him off after 2-3 games.

Shelvey is a Cork-type player. Excellent for depth but question marks over whether he is a true upgrade for the first XI and almost certainly would want to play week in, week out. Personally, I think Sissoko would be a great addition.

I assume you mean the League game as I missed the Cup one? I can't actually remember him doing anything much for Saints full stop, and he's running out of time to make a positive impact, but yeah, who knows what he MIGHT be able to produce. I'd say at this point signing Alderweireld would be tremendous, signing Elia would make sense based on his proven upside and glimpses of impact in the Newcastle and Man U matches, and Djuricic might be a decent addition if we get into Europa League because of the different style of play and his broad European club experience - though he's got 3 years left on his Benfica deal and doesn't look like a likely permanent deal at this stage. Plus we get Gaston back...

I'm generally in favour of signing loan players if they've shown a solid upside, because you save on having to integrate them in the way you have to with completely new players. I think Djuricic might be a stretch at this point though.

Thinking about this game and it is going to be an interesting contest. Leicester are really fired up, more so than the Saints I would expect. Having said that if we can weather the inevitable blitz in the first 20 minutes it could create space for us to counter attack.

I was going to say that we have struggled when teams 'park the bus' but then again we struggled against Sunderland that played a high tempo game.

Perhaps it comes down to the will to win and I reckon Leicester have more to gain than us ?

Thinking about this game and it is going to be an interesting contest. Leicester are really fired up, more so than the Saints I would expect. Having said that if we can weather the inevitable blitz in the first 20 minutes it could create space for us to counter attack.

I was going to say that we have struggled when teams 'park the bus' but then again we struggled against Sunderland that played a high tempo game.

Perhaps it comes down to the will to win and I reckon Leicester have more to gain than us ?

They'd kill for 17th place.

Sunderland's tempo was anything but "high", they were bloody awful, two gifted penalties aside. If we'd been even remotely able to pass the ball to teammates and not made some awful defensive decisions we'd have beaten them comfortably.

But then that's been the case for the past 3 matches and we've conceded 2 in each of those, whilst not looking like we'll score two goals in a match regularly for months.

Not sure Shelvey is a `Saints type` - when he was at Charlton he had a reputation for being very selfish, very me-me and didn`t buy in to the squad `culture/philosophy.` We`ve had our share of misfits.

I'm sure Uncle Les will know all about him, as they "worked" together there.

I assume you mean the League game as I missed the Cup one? I can't actually remember him doing anything much for Saints full stop, and he's running out of time to make a positive impact, but yeah, who knows what he MIGHT be able to produce. I'd say at this point signing Alderweireld would be tremendous, signing Elia would make sense based on his proven upside and glimpses of impact in the Newcastle and Man U matches, and Djuricic might be a decent addition if we get into Europa League because of the different style of play and his broad European club experience - though he's got 3 years left on his Benfica deal and doesn't look like a likely permanent deal at this stage. Plus we get Gaston back...

I'm generally in favour of signing loan players if they've shown a solid upside, because you save on having to integrate them in the way you have to with completely new players. I think Djuricic might be a stretch at this point though.

Not that it's of any significance, but I think Djuricic's best performance was home against Liverpool. He got in behind their defense on several occasions (twice which I can vaguely remember, one of which was a weak shout for a pen). He was also the player fouled for the nailed on penalty which the ref bottled. An atrocious refereeing performance, by all accounts.

Yes, the first 20 minutes are key. Leicester will do their 'Charge of the Light Brigade' routine again. I hope we have 11 men behind the ball and try to retain possession. Won't be easy and they will press us to the hilt. We'll struggle to get it out of our half during this period.

As you say, if we can weather that storm, the game will likely open up. So if it's still 0-0 after 30 minutes, we have a good chance of stealing it. That's my team talk done. :) Easy, this management lark.

Not that it's of any significance, but I think Djuricic's best performance was home against Liverpool. He got in behind their defense on several occasions (twice which I can vaguely remember, one of which was a weak shout for a pen). He was also the player fouled for the nailed on penalty which the ref bottled. An atrocious refereeing performance, by all accounts.

Mmm, rubbish reffing generally, though not sure him going down a bit too easily instead of shooting is necessarily a good point.

Really hope that Reed plays in midfield and Toby replaces Yoshi in defence. Reed hasn't put a foot wrong that I can remember and Toby and Fonte is by far our strongest centre back pair.

I can think of a couple of things, one is his tendency to make slightly late challenges when he just needs to stand up and block or intercept, but that's understandable with his lack of experience and something that's easily improved upon. His basic skills are sound and he's got an engine to chase around and close down where he might be a few yards out positionally compared to the likes of Schneiderlin - which is a high standard to be compared to.

We are now at the point after 3 matches in a row of conceding 2 goals, where expecting different results from the same defensive approach is just stupidity, and we have to try something else. Wanyama doing his thing with Reed buzzing around hopefully not getting himself sent off for diving into challenges and using the ball well in the middle, with the back 4 restored to their most solid state would be the most obvious change.

Koeman: "Morgan might now be available for the last 2 games. Its more positive than we first thought"

That's excellent news, especially as even if Reed plays and has a superb game on Saturday he'll still be suspended from 14th for, at least, the Villa match.

Edited by The9
Talking ******** :)

Mmm, rubbish reffing generally, though not sure him going down a bit too easily instead of shooting is necessarily a good point.

He was just within the right-hand side of the box for the first, if memory serves. Not quite Mane-esque flopping, but still a pretty weak display. The second, he was plain wiped out by Joe Allen, so he can't be criticised (fairly) on that count. To be honest, given his shooting accuracy to date, I'd rather he win pens, ha.

That's excellent news, especially as even if Reed plays and has a superb game on Saturday he'll still be suspended from 14th for, at least, the Villa match.

Not at all sure about that. Seems to be a difference between first team football and non-first team football as far as suspensions are concerned. Doesn't show up anywhere on the FA Suspensions list or the Awaiting Suspensions list.

Reed's suspension is over. It was served on Monday night (U21 v Man Utd).

His suspension was on the FA site until Monday, it doesn't show now because it is done.

You are also confusing 14th and 14 days. A suspension for an U21 match kicks in 14 calendar days after the incident, not on the 14th day of the month. Match was on 20th April, so suspension started on Star Wars days, May 4th.

Edited by VectisSaint

Not at all sure about that. Seems to be a difference between first team football and non-first team football as far as suspensions are concerned. Doesn't show up anywhere on the FA Suspensions list or the Awaiting Suspensions list.

According to the Prem rules the suspension for a non-Prem match kicks in from 14th day following the sending off. (NB not the 14th of the month as I thought - which would mean he was suspended from 4th May)

Or to put it as the FA website says: http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions

The two categories of match are first team competitive matches and non-first team matches.

Premier League, Football League, Conference National, WSL:

Red cards in first team competitive matches result in immediate suspension from forthcoming first team competitive matches. Red cards in non-first team matches will take effect from the 14th day following dismissal.

Clubs at Step 2 and below: Red cards in first team competitive matches result in suspensions commencing on the 14th day following the match in which the player was sent off. Red cards in non-first team matches will be processed by the County Association to which the Club is affiliated.

I guess the question then is as only first team matches count towards first team suspensions, do non-first team matches only count towards non-first team matches?

Reed's suspension is over. It was served on Monday night (U21 v Man Utd).

His suspension was on the FA site until Monday, it doesn't show now because it is done.

You are also confusing 14th and 14 days. A suspension for an U21 match kicks in 14 calendar days after the incident, not on the 14th day of the month. Match was on 20th April, so suspension started on Star Wars days, May 4th.

Yeah, I just reread that (see above) - makes sense.

Don't think it works like that at all. Newcastle have already tried it.http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/scores/live.html

Not that any of them are any much use anyway, barring Boruc of course and there's no chance of him ever playing for us again.

Well seems it does work like that and the Swindon pair are still playing in the playoffs but nice to see Lloyd training with the squad.

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 29 minutes ago

@lloyd_isgrove back in training with #SaintsFC today following his successful loan spell at @swfc.

He was just within the right-hand side of the box for the first, if memory serves. Not quite Mane-esque flopping, but still a pretty weak display. The second, he was plain wiped out by Joe Allen, so he can't be criticised (fairly) on that count. To be honest, given his shooting accuracy to date, I'd rather he win pens, ha.

He was in the box, and it was a foul, but he'd still have been better standing up and taking the shot with Kevin "No Pens" Friend as the ref. Second one was a pen.

Well seems it does work like that and the Swindon pair are still playing in the playoffs but nice to see Lloyd training with the squad.

@lloyd_isgrove back in training with #SaintsFC today following his successful loan spell at @swfc.

Excellent, any sign of Jos? Should be able to spot him in his old banger at the training ground. He should be a shoe-in for the Man City game at least.

It "does work like that" in the sense that they are our players and if they're U21s or named in the "25" man Prem squad they can play the rest of the season. That doesn't mean we'll pick them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32649472

Pearson named manager of the month. The kiss of death? Hopefully times nicely for tomorrow!

Can't say I'm to optimistic.

I thought that, unfortunately the kiss of death for MOTM is a myth. A team riding high on confidence against a team struggling lately to pull some results out of the bag away from home. This is the type of game we see if Koeman has the tactics up his sleeve. I win would be amazing and I'm going for a 2-1 saints victory.

Thought I'd be travelling up with mates but looks like I was the only one to bother getting tickets. D'oh. Anyone fancy a lift share? Don't mind driving but might as well make it efficient at least.

I gained the impression during Ronald's press conference that he thought there was an element of end of term syndrome causing performance to drop. That would make sense as it seemed that the team upped their effort against Sunderland when they were reduced to 10 men, as if that made them refocus. Thing is, will a talking-to have made any difference if the players are in holiday mood?

I gained the impression during Ronald's press conference that he thought there was an element of end of term syndrome causing performance to drop. That would make sense as it seemed that the team upped their effort against Sunderland when they were reduced to 10 men, as if that made them refocus. Thing is, will a talking-to have made any difference if the players are in holiday mood?

I didn't get that impression, I got the impression that he thought we weren't good enough against Sunderland, probably because that's what he said. Didn't have good ball possession, probably because we didn't have the man that gives it to us.

Victor is a crap passer and Toby...well is he still interested really.

Yeah, he only played through the pain of a broken bone the other week didn't he, clearly not bothered at all :lol:

Perhaps he shouldn't be doing that though, it must be disconcerting for him. Is it right of Koeman to ask him to play every week with that injury in midfield, where he's less effective, when most would agree that Reed might be able to do just as well in that role. I don't know, it seems to be a delicate situation and if any permanent damage should occur due to it Atletico will take us to the cleaners. Presume we've got their OK on that though.

Perhaps he shouldn't be doing that though, it must be disconcerting for him. Is it right of Koeman to ask him to play every week with that injury in midfield, where he's less effective, when most would agree that Reed might be able to do just as well in that role. I don't know, it seems to be a delicate situation and if any permanent damage should occur due to it Atletico will take us to the cleaners. Presume we've got their OK on that though.

I read that although the injury will be a bit painful, there's no harm in playing on - no damage or further issues can be caused, this was confirmed by the doctor apparentley. So whilst he has to dose up on pain killers before games, he won't be causing any extra damage - and at this stage of the season, you want all your best players avaliable.

I read that although the injury will be a bit painful, there's no harm in playing on - no damage or further issues can be caused, this was confirmed by the doctor apparentley. So whilst he has to dose up on pain killers before games, he won't be causing any extra damage - and at this stage of the season, you want all your best players avaliable.

Hope he doesn't get addicted to the meds then like Brett Favre and many other QBs.

You questioned whether Alderweireld is still interested, I just gave you an example that he most likely is.

You questioned whether Alderweireld is still interested, I just gave you an example that he most likely is.

But he was very poor last Saturday anyway, mind you they all were so I'll give him a bye on that one.

RK said they weren't good enough and that is not good.

Pretty representative and fair, having read their thread above.

I even get quoted - my prediction!

As they are reading our forum, let's lull them into a false sense of security.

Ahem, apparently we have no goalkeeper fit this weekend, so Pelle is in goal. We have a sickness bug in the camp and may have no subs. And the side were spotted in West Quay earlier buying flip-flops and sun cream.

There ya go Foxes, quote that. :(

Pretty representative and fair, having read their thread above.

I even get quoted - my prediction!

As they are reading our forum, let's lull them into a false sense of security.

Ahem, apparently we have no goalkeeper fit this weekend, so Pelle is in goal. We have a sickness bug in the camp and may have no subs. And the side were spotted in West Quay earlier buying flip-flops and sun cream.

There ya go Foxes, quote that. :(

Yeh and I hope they sing lots because if the home fans are really quiet and all you can hear is our fans that's when we tend to play worse ;)