CONFIRMED: Cédric to Saints on four-year deal

JxgrSaint

I'm not really sure why everyone wrote him off so early, it was clear he had the potential going forward and having Koeman as a manager along with the experienced defenders in the squad meant he would always improve defensively.

I am ...it's the routine response from a handful of our regular contributors to any new signing who doesn't turn in a MoM performance in one of his first two games.

those critics have quickly forgotten how Clyne's Saints career started. We shipped loads of goals at the start, and poor Clynie was turned inside out by Man.U at SMS.

Anyone who has started a new job...will hope for a short " honeymoon period " whilst they find where the car park and the toilets are, and need time to memorise the names of your new work colleagues -and where they work (or in our case - which position they play in ).

It's not enough to say they've trained together for a week or two, but with "real time" football the opponents aren't playing for fun and are out to exploit the situation.

YES - Cedric looked a fish out of water a few times in his opening games, but I thought he played on bravely last week after his facial injury v. a very physical Leicester side and looked even better at Anfield.

Jose Fonte hinted that (Cedric) had some more to learn, but is beginning to look like a good investment.

As for Martina, that will go down as one of the most bizarre signings in our recent history.

I look at the timing of things.....signings are obviously not in the bag until the everything is signed off. Maybe Cedric was a little up in the air. He was supposedly going to Stoke before José stepped in and said come to Saints. So what happens if we didn't get Cedric, we would be down to Yoshida. Same with Caulker. I see it as insurance in case a) our potential signings don't happen and leave us short and b) giving a bit of squad depth which was sorely lacking last year.

I'm not really sure why everyone wrote him off so early, it was clear he had the potential going forward and having Koeman as a manager along with the experienced defenders in the squad meant he would always improve defensively.

I don't think anyone wrote him off, let alone 'everyone'.

He was obviously a very good player right from the start. I'm confused that people thought otherwise. It always takes players a while to blend into the team properly and thoroughly learn the role the manager wants them to play but his skills and technique were never in question.

I don't think anyone wrote him off, let alone 'everyone'.

I have to be honest I had written him off fairly quickly (3/4 games) as too lightweight and small for premier league football. clearly had the technical ability but looked miles off of being physical enough. I still think he will be bullied but seems to be coming to terms with the league and looks a useful player

I'm amazed I have to be honest at how quickly we manage to integrate new players. It can take a while but we have consistently seen players from other leagues performing very well very quickly, with the odd exception of course.

I think Cedric is showing his class and determination and is getting better every minute he plays.

Playing wth that eye injury shows grit and a steely side which I didn't think he would have. I've been impressed with him and his attitude. He wants to play, is hungry and up for the challenge. Excellent signing.

He was obviously a very good player right from the start. I'm confused that people thought otherwise. It always takes players a while to blend into the team properly and thoroughly learn the role the manager wants them to play but his skills and technique were never in question.

Completely agree. I thought he look really good when he played against RB Leipzig in our first pre-season game.

Was frankly surprised that Koeman favoured Maya in the first few games.

He's growing in confidence every game. Great to see.

As for Martina, that will go down as one of the most bizarre signings in our recent history.

agreed, but looking at his past history, it looks as though he has been in squads where Erwin has been involved, so he must have some pedigree....

No big deal (oops no joke intended) when available for just £1 million, doesn't look the worst defender we've ever had, but if he can DAJFU in an emergency - OK.

He's improved, still a tad worried about him defensively, but the addition of VVD, Wanyama getting back on the rails, Bertrand getting back to fitness, and not playing with a "front 4" has definitely helped Cedric. Davis has played in front of him for the last 2 away games too.

Always looks dangerous going forward and great to see he can whip in a decent delivery with his left foot.

• 5 months later...

Thoughts so far?

After a promising spell has been really disappointing of late.

Seems to lack confidence to take a defender on down the outside despite having good acceleration and often cuts back onto his weaker foot.

Iffy defensively too and a target for being done at the back post.

Seeing as Koeman has dropped him for error prone Yoshida and the average Martina it would seem he isn't sold on him.

Crazy when just 2 years ago we had Chambers and Clyne competing for one place.

Hopefully they feel he will have benefitted from the season and will be good enough to be a guarenteed first choice next season.

Thoughts so far?

After a promising spell has been really disappointing of late.

Seems to lack confidence to take a defender on down the outside despite having good acceleration and often cuts back onto his weaker foot.

Iffy defensively too and a target for being done at the back post.

Seeing as Koeman has dropped him for error prone Yoshida and the average Martina it would seem he isn't sold on him.

Crazy when just 2 years ago we had Chambers and Clyne competing for one place.

Hopefully they feel he will have benefitted from the season and will be good enough to be a guarenteed first choice next season.

Just has a massive attitude problem apparently and that's why he's been dropped. His behaviour Really hasn't gone down well with a lot of people. No idea how true, but only what I was told by another players parent.

He's a professional footballer who's paid a lot of money. If that means that he spends a season on the bench he should be grateful.

Footballers are paid well because they perform, not the other way around. I'm sure he is grateful for his career, but who wouldn't want to make the most of it by playing?

Not sure how the left back Fuchs in a left midfield position is his man when there's a right midfielder in our team?

He left Fuchs as he chased the ball when it was played inside when he didn't need to because that was where the midfield cover was. He should have stayed out where he was.

Not sure how the left back Fuchs in a left midfield position is his man when there's a right midfielder in our team?

It was his man (we played 3-5-2 if you remember). Indeed Souness picked up on Cedric's poor positioning right away. That said, their move started from a rash and poor Bertrand clearance. Thankfully his name isn't Yoshida.

Edited by shurlock

He left Fuchs as he chased the ball when it was played inside when he didn't need to because that was where the midfield cover was. He should have stayed out where he was.

Maybe - our first half tactics were pretty decent, but we seemed to be switching from 3/4/5 at the back depending on the position of the ball, one of those split-second things.

Cedric having to close down the opposing left back or two players sometimes seems to be a side effect of our defensive tactics at the moment (which mullered us for the whole match against Bournemouth), but aside from the goal we pretty much neutralised them.

Maybe - our first half tactics were pretty decent, but we seemed to be switching from 3/4/5 at the back depending on the position of the ball, one of those split-second things.

Cedric having to close down the opposing left back or two players sometimes seems to be a side effect of our defensive tactics at the moment (which mullered us for the whole match against Bournemouth), but aside from the goal we pretty much neutralised them.

They played nothing like Bournemouth - not sure what game you were watching pal. Compared to Bournemouth, there was no overlap to speak of. Fuch was Cedric's man in that passage of play and he simply failed to close him down.

• 2 months later...

BARCA SCOUT PORTUGAL TRIO

Barcelona's sporting director Robert Fernandez scouted three players during Portugal’s 7-0 defeat of Estonia on Wednesday, reports Mundo Deportivo.

Barca are bracing themselves for a busy summer of transfer activity, with the La Liga champions considering bringing in a right-back, a back-up forward, a centre-back, a left-back and a central midfielder.

Fernandez travelled to Lisbon earlier this week and monitored the displays of Southampton full-back Cedric Soares, Lorient left-back Raphael Guerreiro and Valencia midfielder Andre Gomes, 22, who is also wanted by Man Utd.

While Barca are interested in Cedric, the Southampton man is behind the likes of Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin, Valencia’s Joao Cancelo, Sevilla’s Mariano and Chelsea’s Juan Cuadrado on their right-back shortlist.

Haha. They also scouted him before we got him. Guess they have more offensive full backs than just about anyone.

If he toughens up over the summer (in the three weeks he has off) he could end up doing ok but was very inconsistent last season.

I'm hopeful nearly all of our signings should be better for next season: Cedric / Martina / Romeu / Clasie / Austin

I think Cedric has shown flashes of real quality but it's clear Koeman didn't favor him. I'm hopeful that a new manager can give him some confidence and a run of games to prove he's PL material.

I know everyone seems to like Martina but he really isn't good enough to be starting for us. He's fine as backup, but that's it.