CONFIRMED: Cédric to Saints on four-year deal

JxgrSaint

This is true, I was basically disagreeing with what I felt was a suggestion that we should not buy anyone until the end. That would be a tad dim.

I still think you get better value earlier on though, and better results. Longer pre-season, more time for them to settle etc.

Juanmi and Cedric are too examples of incredible value deals. 2 current Spanish and Portuguese internationals for less than £10m combined. Absolute top stuff.

Like wheb Norwich did all their deals early and then got relegated you mean? It's the right players at the right time.

So.... you suggesting we wait until after Morgan and Clyne have left and the whole world know's we're sitting on circa £40m of dosh.

Honestly our fans are totaly skitzo when viewed as a whole. Either we leave it to late, or we do it to early...

I for one think we're doing some really nice business early. No reason to suggest we won't get some in later in the day. Unless people think we have a transfer budget of circa £15m-20m and we'll be banking the vast majority of the clyne/morgan transfers and tv money :mcinnes:

S-Clarke:The most dumb way of doing it, ever. to be honest.

Getting business done early, before you've sold anyone, is the best course of action. Leave it till last minuite.com, as you suggest, and you'll end up paying them stupid money because a) they know you have it, and b) it's them or bust.

I quoted Dig Dig's opinion that buy early and the players would be bored of Ocean Village and the novelty of seeing their first New Forest Pony and continued in a similar vein, i.e. putting forward an opinion to deliberately go against the historic flatulence that starts to appear when we haven't signed anybody by a certain stage in the Summer break.

Whereas I'm very happy that we get in replacements early for those who will most certainly leave and also as additional cover for our European adventure, there is some basis to accept that the point I made is a reasonable argument. Yes, there is the likelihood that other clubs will believe we could pay more for their players having received inflated prices for those we sold, but then again, most of last season's signings were quite late in the day. Ultimately, the price paid for a player is determined by supply and demand and if we are still short of players before the window closes, the price would often rise. But equally if there are players desperate to move to the PL, or clubs desperate to sell them because they need the money, then the point I made half in jest gains validity.

I am entirely happy with how we go about things, keeping a low profile and then striking when nobody expects it. The glory clubs' laundry if washed in public by the media in an attempt to destabilise players and raise their expectations. I also think that there is some mileage in picking up some of them late on in the window if their ambitions have not been realised. Nothing wrong with that ploy, is there?

yes he is, only just got home so no idea what has been posted but for what its worth.he's having medical and will provide good competition to clyne for the rb spot.

:adore: *tips hat*

Well, I'm nobody to argue with K Billy - still think Clyne will stay then? Blackmore saying on Twitter that Clyne went to the London hotel of a Liverpool transfer committee member...

last i was told stekelenberg a no go wages to high, not expecting clyne to go only morgan. But never 100% things can always change if silly offer comes in.

I fully expect Liverpool to make that silly offer :)

I'm confident Morgan will stay.

Morgan will stay if we don't get the offer we want. Will be interesting to see what happens with the rumoured Utd interest.

I'd be amazed if we didn't force Clyne out for a reasonable sum. Not sure I can see us being prepared to let him run his contract down. As we get to August I can see us taking the £10m or whatever we can get. Especially as we seem to be about to sign a right back.

We are a lovely club and all the rest of it but we are professional and I think we want to be in control. Clyne if he doesn't commit will be let go.

I'd be amazed if we didn't force Clyne out for a reasonable sum. Not sure I can see us being prepared to let him run his contract down. As we get to August I can see us taking the £10m or whatever we can get. Especially as we seem to be about to sign a right back.

We are a lovely club and all the rest of it but we are professional I think we want to be in control. Clyne if he doesn't commit will be let go.

I think that's a fair assumption. Cork is a good example really, he didn't sign his contract so we sold him rather than letting him go for a freebie. If it comes to it, we will probably look at a bid towards the end of the window if the situation remains the same. Hopefully he realizes he's better off here for now, though.

I think that's a fair assumption. Cork is a good example really, he didn't sign his contract so we sold him rather than letting him go for a freebie. If it comes to it, we will probably look at a bid towards the end of the window if the situation remains the same. Hopefully he realizes he's better off here for now, though.

Got to go!! love the player, but not this move! on last year of contract, will not sign a new improved offer.

So if he doesn't get his move he will run down his contract. Been there, done that for Clyne. Insulting offers from one club not in CL (liverhampton), and no CL team officially coming in for him.

His ego may be ahead of his perceived in demand status. Sell him (reluctantly) to get some money for the transfer, his wages off the books and good luck to ya pal. No hatred to him , just disappointment again that they can't see how good they have it where there are. March on SAINTS!!

He won't. He wants fame and money and doesn't think he gets either at Saints.

MORE fame and MORE money. The greedy sod! :; At the end of the day if his heart's not in it then so be it, move him on, but it's risky to think that Cedric will smoothly fill the gap he leaves. Here's hoping.

He won't. He wants fame and money and doesn't think he gets either at Saints.

His England career to date can't be helping with that much.

The problem is if there is only one buyer bidding, they'll know we won't be keen to have him running his contract down, hence Liverpool bidding s pretty low amount.

I think that will drag and drag.

Its nuts that nobody looks keen on paying £24m on a player that has proved that he has been the most consistent CDM in the prem for the last 2 seasons.....£40m + for Sterling yet nobody will pay for Morgan,football just baffles me at times