CONFIRMED: Cédric to Saints on four-year deal

JxgrSaint

Did he play in the Italy game last night?

No he didn't. Apparently you stand little chance of getting in the side unless you play for one of the EPL clubs. Their manager is virtually forcing him to come and play in the Premier League and with Jose tapping him up for us this should happen very soon. It should also be noted that the Portuguese manager is a sh*t dinasour.

No he didn't. Apparently you stand little chance of getting in the side unless you play for one of the EPL clubs. Their manager is virtually forcing him to come and play in the Premier League and with Jose tapping him up for us this should happen very soon. It should also be noted that the Portuguese manager is a sh*t dinasour.

Yes he did, came on at half time.

Yes he did, came on at half time.

I don't care whether he did or not mate, I had no idea either way. I was just attempting an ironic post although you would have had to have read my posts in the Hodgson/Clyne thread.

Sounds like a good signing though.

Lol. It will be interesting though if he still gets picked for the national side once he isnt playing for Sporting Lisbon and instead is at the backwater of Southampton. It took Fonte ages to break in

Lol. It will be interesting though if he still gets picked for the national side once he isnt playing for Sporting Lisbon and instead is at the backwater of Southampton. It took Fonte ages to break in
Did it take Fonte that long? How long had he been a regular starter for a Prem team before being picked? 18 months I think.

When will we ever learn to do our transfer business early?

Too early if you ask me. By the time the season comes around, the buzz of Ocean Village and the thrill of spotting your first New Forest pony has long worn off. Not to mention paying someone whilst they are on holiday. Appalling strategy all round.

Too early if you ask me. By the time the season comes around, the buzz of Ocean Village and the thrill of spotting your first New Forest pony has long worn off. Not to mention paying someone whilst they are on holiday. Appalling strategy all round.

Also sign players too early and you only get to choose from the ones who aren't wanted by the bigger clubs, who are after the best available players. Wait until the big clubs have bought all their first choice players and then you can go after all the remaining good ones who have had their ambitions of playing for the glory teams thwarted and then we are the next level down in the PL. Once the glory teams are out of the equation, then the price will be lower too.

Sporting Lisbon forum thread, for those who care:

http://www.forumscp.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=42qps76t01a2891oosrhfsl9v7&topic=11909.msg3645895#new

Some interesting discussions. They seem pretty certain its going to happen from various sources out there - lots of people wishing him success as if he's already gone

If it goes through and is "undisclosed", then I suspect that that would be at the request of Sorting and that it will be the lower end of things.

I will take your word on that. It just seemed that we have with, for example, Gardos Pelle Tadic, but then again, it's more than likely a mistake on my part and just paper talk giving figures or maybe the other club. The other club can presumably release the figure if so desired, which in this case is more likely to be the source if a figure materialises given that SFC don't.

Edited by angelman

Fonte originally got called up for the Portuguese squad in October 2014. He hadn't been a Premier League regular for two years at that point.

Well I think he kinda had, we started back in the PL in August 2012, he was always a regular in our side I think, first with Jos or Maya,then with Lovren and finally with Toby.

That's interesting. So any values quoted have always been just speculation?

Never knew that

More or less but there are global figures in the accounts, for instance we know that our summer sales last year brought in a total of some 82 million euros of which 31.5 million came from Shaw and Lambert (because of the timing)

Also sign players too early and you only get to choose from the ones who aren't wanted by the bigger clubs, who are after the best available players. Wait until the big clubs have bought all their first choice players and then you can go after all the remaining good ones who have had their ambitions of playing for the glory teams thwarted and then we are the next level down in the PL. Once the glory teams are out of the equation, then the price will be lower too.

So.... you suggesting we wait until after Morgan and Clyne have left and the whole world know's we're sitting on circa £40m of dosh.

Honestly our fans are totaly skitzo when viewed as a whole. Either we leave it to late, or we do it to early...

I for one think we're doing some really nice business early. No reason to suggest we won't get some in later in the day. Unless people think we have a transfer budget of circa £15m-20m and we'll be banking the vast majority of the clyne/morgan transfers and tv money :mcinnes:

"Always a regular in our side". 26 starts out of 42 Saints games in season 12/13.

I think he had some injuries mid season, first choice when available IIRC. Anyway it's sort of academic really. Can't think that Jos or Maya were ever preferred to Fonte if he was available.

I think he had some injuries mid season, first choice when available IIRC. Anyway it's sort of academic really. Can't think that Jos or Maya were ever preferred to Fonte if he was available.
No, he was on the bench. Even on the bench replaced by Yoshida/Hooiveld a couple of times in the early parts of 13/14.

The most dumb way of doing it, ever. to be honest.

Getting business done early, before you've sold anyone, is the best course of action. Leave it till last minuite.com, as you suggest, and you'll end up paying them stupid money because a) they know you have it, and b) it's them or bust.

The most dumb way of doing it, ever. to be honest.

Getting business done early, before you've sold anyone, is the best course of action. Leave it till last minuite.com, as you suggest, and you'll end up paying them stupid money because a) they know you have it, and b) it's them or bust.

Like mane and Toby you mean?

Last summer was a little bit different as you well know.

Doing the right deals and not getting hung up on early and late is the correct thing to do. You can get some great deals throughout the transfer window if you know where to look- as we proved last summer.

Doing the right deals and not getting hung up on early and late is the correct thing to do. You can get some great deals throughout the transfer window if you know where to look- as we proved last summer.

This is true, I was basically disagreeing with what I felt was a suggestion that we should not buy anyone until the end. That would be a tad dim.

I still think you get better value earlier on though, and better results. Longer pre-season, more time for them to settle etc.

Juanmi and Cedric are too examples of incredible value deals. 2 current Spanish and Portuguese internationals for less than £10m combined. Absolute top stuff.