CONFIRMED: Cédric to Saints on four-year deal

JxgrSaint

If a 15-20 million rated player can be replaced with a 3.5m player why wasn't everyone after him?? or are we taking a gamble that he will be as good as Clyne?

We can afford to take a gamble. While we as fans and everyone else associated with the club knows our ambitions, there isn't any real pressure to be a top-6 club every season. The clubs ahead of us who have that pressure may feel he is indeed a gamble and they need proven Prem experience, e.g. Clyne to Liverpool. But at the same time, we're sufficiently far enough ahead of those just below us (Wham, Swansea, Stoke etc) to be the more attractive option.

What tends to happen is we buy players like this, if they don't work out they move on and are forgotten about and if they do well, other clubs take note and make offers. The only way that'll stop is if we progress even further up the league, meaning there are less clubs ahead of us who are a more attractive proposition.

It's always a gamble to replace. I always think it's better the Devil you know in football with players.

Can we not replace like for like or as a club do we always look for the cheapest option & hope it pays off?

Can we not replace like for like or as a club do we always look for the cheapest option & hope it pays off?

We're replacing the RB for England (ranked 15 in the world) with the RB for Portugal (ranked 7 in the World) and booking a £10m profit. Not too bad.

Anyway £20m players wont sign for us unless 1. we are overpaying 2. They are flawed. We have to make them, not buy them.

We can afford to take a gamble. While we as fans and everyone else associated with the club knows our ambitions, there isn't any real pressure to be a top-6 club every season. The clubs ahead of us who have that pressure may feel he is indeed a gamble and they need proven Prem experience, e.g. Clyne to Liverpool. But at the same time, we're sufficiently far enough ahead of those just below us (Wham, Swansea, Stoke etc) to be the more attractive option.

What tends to happen is we buy players like this, if they don't work out they move on and are forgotten about and if they do well, other clubs take note and make offers. The only way that'll stop is if we progress even further up the league, meaning there are less clubs ahead of us who are a more attractive proposition.

answers my question!

The Portuguese full-back said:

“Southampton is a big, big club, and very respectable.

It is a club with a lot of history.

For me it is very important to play with a big club.

I joined this club as I believe we can do better and better every year.”

Isnt that the standard Liverpool player signing line, has someone explained to him which one of the clubs he has actually signed for, could be awkward... Although the confusion is understandable thanks to the continuing good work of agent Brendan.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/06/19/cedric-soares-what-made-me-decide-to-sign-for-southampton/?

There's a slight difference in that it was Cedric asking Fonte for advice by the look of it, and that it was to choose Saints over Stoke, rather than to leave his current club for Saints.

That is what he says. I doubt he is going to come out and say Jose was on at him to sign.

• 1 month later...

I am in Portugal and got chatting to a Sporting Lisbon fan. He says that Cedric is the real deal going forward. Will suit the pace of the prem and will provide lots of good crosses etc. Less convinced about him defensively, says he started out as a right-mid and not a full back.

Lots of interest in Southampton from Portugal now due to Fonte and Cedric.

I am in Portugal and got chatting to a Sporting Lisbon fan. He says that Cedric is the real deal going forward. Will suit the pace of the prem and will provide lots of good crosses etc. Less convinced about him defensively, says he started out as a right-mid and not a full back.

Don't we often do the same for our youth players?

If a 15-20 million rated player can be replaced with a 3.5m player why wasn't everyone after him?? or are we taking a gamble that he will be as good as Clyne?

In a sellers market, you can demand almost whatever price you want - if the other club is desperate enough to find someone.

The selling price isn't necessarily related to the players quality, sometimes perhaps only because of one good season...(ex. Shaw/ Lovren)

Signing any player is always a gamble,(form / fitness) but some of our best talent have been low-price purchases who were "coached-up" to a better level.

Where many clubs make a mistake is in buying " a square peg to fit a round hole ". The player might be great in one side, but totally lost in another.

The classic case of the Torres / Carroll deals is a typical example. Both players were almost " scoring for fun " in their clubs, but were abysmal after they moved.

That fault lies with the manager. Last summer Brendan Rodgers bought both players in one of Saints' best-ever partnerships yet failed to play them at the same time.

To keep on the subject - In just a few games, Cedric looks to be a great prospect. Will be interesting to see who gets the most caps (Clyne / Cedric).

Edited by david in sweden

I am in Portugal and got chatting to a Sporting Lisbon fan. He says that Cedric is the real deal going forward.

Will suit the pace of the prem and will provide lots of good crosses etc. Less convinced about him defensively, says he started out as a right-mid and not a full back.

I recall a lot of people said the same about Gareth Bale ..and perhaps Wayne Bridge, too? Time will tell.

Sometimes a change of position can make a players career.....I can remember that Newcastle released one of their young teenage goalkeepers named Alan Shearer....

and then he signed as a Saints apprentice striker...(wonder what happened to him?)

If you're very lucky - you can get another Jimmy Gabriel, who came to Saints (from Everton) in the late 1960's..and played in five different positions in one season - (including emergency goalie) - and didn't disgrace himself in any of them.

From what I saw on Thursday night he looks better/more composed going forward and is a better passer of the ball. What Clyne did better than most full backs was his 1v1 defensive work but it was difficult to judge Cedric on Thursday as he had so little to do. Looks very positive though so far.

I can remember that Newcastle released one of their young teenage goalkeepers named Alan Shearer....

and then he signed as a Saints apprentice striker...(wonder what happened to him?)

Are you sure? Shearer was never on Newcastle's books before he joined us in 1986. He was previously with Wallsend Boys Club where he was spotted by our then Chief Scout Jack Hixon. I also don't recall any reference to him playing as a keeper, he originally played in midfield. Apparently he did trial for Newcastle as a keeper because they were short in that area not becuase it was his position but was rejected and was never on their books.

Bale was not very good defensively, his best assets were the attacking side of his game. Bridge too always looked like a midfielder in the making, always liable to be caught on his outside when defending, nevertheless he had a decent career as a LB of course.

Are you sure? Shearer was never on Newcastle's books before he joined us in 1986. He was previously with Wallsend Boys Club where he was spotted by our then Chief Scout Jack Hixon. I also don't recall any reference to him playing as a keeper, he originally played in midfield.

Apparently he did trial for Newcastle as a keeper because they were short in that area not because it was his position but was rejected and was never on their books.

Bale was not very good defensively, his best assets were the attacking side of his game. Bridge too always looked like a midfielder in the making, always liable to be caught on his outside when defending, nevertheless he had a decent career as a LB of course.

well ....you sound as though you're more ITK than I am on that one.....I only recalled the story about the part I highlighted...

.......obviously he never signed him as a schoolboy, nor did they see his potential as anything else......it cost them £16 million to correct the mistake....

• 2 months later...
Thought this thread deserved a bump.

Thought he was excellent today. Best game for us and will give him loads of confidence.

I noticed he defended very well last week in 2nd half against Montero as well. Improved massively defensively, good job!

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the best i've seen him yesterday, although he has a tendency to just boot it long even when under the slightest pressure and no-ones up top.

Couple of weeks out the team definitely helped him muscle up and settle in with the team. Quite funny how some people were labelling him a waste of money at that point.

Probably the best i've seen him yesterday, although he has a tendency to just boot it long even when under the slightest pressure and no-ones up top.

Couple of weeks out the team definitely helped him muscle up and settle in with the team. Quite funny how some people were labelling him a waste of money at that point.

He was good yesterday but thought he was outstanding against Chelsea. That was definitely his standout performance for me.

Having maligned him not so long ago in another thread on here, I have been impressed with him too.

Against Newcastle whether he was far too excited or just totally naive to the PL or both to get a silly yellow and taken off at half-time you did think, oh dear!

At MK Dons he looked a bit lightweight too, and doubted very much to see him start against Swansea, and said as much. But there he was in the starting line up, when Montero came on I thought this should be interesting as he is a slippery whatsit when on his game, but Cedric kept him under control. It seems to have clicked for him which obviously shows that once again the back room sourcing team have found another good player with the nous and desire to make it work for himself, and the team.

I wouldn't under estimate the role that Fonte has in all this (of course just a supposition). He was one of the reasons Cedric came, and he is on record saying that he has been helped a lot by him off the pitch, so no doubt on the pitch as well. I am sure it does take time to adjust from a league where the football is a very different style, but at his current level he is just fine but I do expect him to carry on improving.

He has certainly improved since he first joined and people were spitting with rage that he wasn't immediately ready to play 90 minutes of every Premier League game. Certainly in the last 3 games I haven't felt as though we were missing Clyne, who has yet to find his form for Liverpool and hasn't really been in form since last Xmas to be brutally honest.

He has certainly improved since he first joined and people were spitting with rage that he wasn't immediately ready to play 90 minutes of every Premier League game. Certainly in the last 3 games I haven't felt as though we were missing Clyne, who has yet to find his form for Liverpool and hasn't really been in form since last Xmas to be brutally honest.

Disagree about Clyne who is pretty consistent I think. solid defensively and nothing in the final third as his final ball has always been awful. Cedric has a lot more potential going forward and I think he'll become a better player eventually as his defending continues to improve

I'm not really sure why everyone wrote him off so early, it was clear he had the potential going forward and having Koeman as a manager along with the experienced defenders in the squad meant he would always improve defensively.

Having maligned him not so long ago in another thread on here, I have been impressed with him too.

Against Newcastle whether he was far too excited or just totally naive to the PL or both to get a silly yellow and taken off at half-time you did think, oh dear!

At MK Dons he looked a bit lightweight too, and doubted very much to see him start against Swansea, and said as much. But there he was in the starting line up, when Montero came on I thought this should be interesting as he is a slippery whatsit when on his game, but Cedric kept him under control. It seems to have clicked for him which obviously shows that once again the back room sourcing team have found another good player with the nous and desire to make it work for himself, and the team.

Hardly a surprise that in matches where we were playing with only one first choice defender and one first choice DM from the previous season that we'd look disorganised at the back - Cedric was completely exposed by the midfield just as the rest of the defence was. I was more surprised that it didn't happen last season than that it did this. Bertrand getting fit, signing Van Dijk and Romeu, Wanyama coming back, and JWP starting to look like he deserves to start have all helped us get back some of the stability.

If Cedric could go a couple of weeks without smashing his head open (three times and counting so far this season) that might not be a bad thing either.