Which club is better: Liverpool, Tottenham, Southampton, or Swansea

Redslo

As per thread  

165 members have voted

1. 1. As per thread

Someone suggested that this debate should move out of another thread so here it is.

I believe that we were the best team last year and Liverpool and Tottenham were lucky to finish above us. That may not be true this year however since both clubs have players who can do better than they did last year.

Someone suggested that this debate should move out of another thread so here it is.

I believe that we were the best team last year and Liverpool and Tottenham were lucky to finish above us. That may not be true this year however since both clubs have players who can do better than they did last year.

Good work.

Don't think he's ever even been to Southampton which frankly shows.

I have not but that says nothing about this issue. I am quite capable of opining that teams in other sports were either not as good or not as bad as their record indicates. This point of view is undoubtedly more common in the USA where, because of playoffs, we are used to teams winning championships without being the best side during the regular season.

Not sure what Toby is going to do. Not a lot coming through at the moment. Think quite a few are interested in him but he might be on honeymoon.

Also, brilliant.

Swansea have won a major trophy in the last couple of years. Surely that has to be worth bonus points.

With that, haven't Swansea finished above us 3 out of the last 5 seasons and had a decent go at Europe?

Edited by Batman

Ask someone from Liverpool and he'll say Liverpool

Ask someone from north Londoner and he'll say Spurs

Ask someone from Southampton and he'll say Saints

Ask someone from Swansea and he'll say Swansea

That's of course a generalisation, but should be fairly accurate.

There are literally thousands of saint fans and literally loads of other fans. It crazy. Literally nutz. Do you not think. It's kind of like literally are they not kinda ahead of us when it comes to scousehamton and spudz but depending on the future not that far. Swansea are not that far behind us as are a few other teams. Got us down as a small big club with stature issues.

If Liverpool and Spurts never had any European games last season then they would of finished at least 10 points further ahead than us.

I believe we should be comparing ourselves with Everton and not Spurs and Liverpool as it's embarrassing.

"Better history - Liverpool, Spurs, Saints, Swansea

"Better last 5 years" - Spurs, Liverpool, Saints Swansea

"Better last season" - Spurs, Liverpool, Saints (table doesn't lie), Swansea.

Better - best - average attendance for 2014/15

Liverpool 44,658 - Tottenham 35,727 - Southampton 30,652 - Swansea City 20,554

Obviously we will fair a lot better here when the club eventually increases the stadium capacity ;)

(Taking this as seriously as it deserves to) Based on relative fanbase, history, resources and current performance, actually, I would say both ourselves and Swansea are near a zenith whereas Liverpool and Spurs could be argued to under performing.

As such, it's a two horse race, but not between the two names you would expect. We are certainly better run currently then the Scousers and North London Yobbos.

I voted for Liverpool. Now I've seen the other results, I feel a bit bad.

Not sure how this thread has got so far without some kind of trophy-based p155ing contest. Can't we at least have some kind of communal criteria... oh, I've just realised I don't even care.

Best team? Perhaps, but I firmly believe the league doesn't lie. Certainly our first XI is as good as any of those you've mentioned. However, all of us can point to games where we were "lucky" and got points over the season when we didn't deserve them. When it came to the games against Spurs and Liverpool, you can argue both of them were lucky in both games. I'd prefer to look at it that we weren't good enough on the day. Same with Swansea at home. If you don't take your chances, you don't deserve to win. 4pts from a possible 18 is all you need to look at there. People have talked about beating or getting something against the top 4 when it matters, something we have done well this season against Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea but forgot about the stats against those we are now competing against. Our results against Spurs since we came up has been woeful.

Club wise - that's so subjective its impossible to answer. Of course I think we are a better club but you cannot deny the history of Liverpool and Spurs and the emergence of Swansea - after all, they HAVE taken the next step and won a major trophy recently.

The way we have conducted ourselves on and off the field - whether the exciting football, the transfers, Koeman's (sometimes shocking) honesty in pre-match interviews, social media engagement, sponsors...its just made me proud to support this club. There is a massive degree of respect afforded to us now from rival fans of the bigger teams. I can't remember a time before where I expected us to go to Utd and Arsenal and win (neither did the bookies, which was great as well).

Whether Liverpool and Spurs like it or not, they are not part of that big four at the moment and doubt they will be for the foreseeable future. They are there with us and Swansea, Everton, West Ham and Stoke. Sure they are "Bigger" clubs, but I'd argue Leeds, Villa and Newcastle are a bigger clubs than us - what does that really count for nowadays? Would a player choose Leeds, Villa or Newcastle over us if terms were the same? Doubtful. Would the same player choose Spurs, Liverpool, Swansea over us, if the terms were the same now? Guess we'll find out with Clyne...but doubt the terms are the same...

Liverpool play off their history of being one of the biggest clubs in the world and one of the most successful. They also have the increased financial clout to pay their players more (and lets be honest, somebody offers you twice as much to do the same job, you do it, you can't give people abuse for that). I'd argue a combined first X1 would have more Saints players then Liverpool's though - even with their new signings. We'd have the back 5 for starters.

Spurs are a huge club, helped by location and hindered by their crap ground and being in the shadow of their neighbours. You just need to look at their revenues to see how large they are. With Poch at the helm (we all know how good he is, despite our dislike) I think they'll be a threat for years to come. Their supporters crave success however, adding pressure for instant wins. Imagine being behind Portsmouth for as long as they have been behind Arsenal - you get delusions of being better than you actually are and an expectation that doesn't really have a lot to back it up. Combine the 1st XIs again however, and its pretty even. They just had a striker on fire and a creative player in Eriksson who went through a purple patch like our own Mane. The biggest difference between them and us was that they won when they didn't play well. And did that consistently. That's not really luck. That's being a better team.

I expect next season to be similar to this. The chance to break into the top four for all of us was this season with Utd's transition. Liverpool didn't replace Suarez and they won't replace Gerrard. They have no idea how to use Lallana and their defence is awful. They also have the most arrogant manager outside of Chelsea (and at least he can back it up). Stirling will go (I'm probably one of the few who don't see what the fuss is about anyway - that is no way a £50mil player) and they'll pay over the odds for somebody to replace him.

Be interesting to see if Kane can do it again for Spurs. Not 100% convinced by him or whether Spurs can create the chances for him again. Amazed nobody has come in for Erikson. They've got some good youngsters though and Poch will play them.

Noted that Europa League will be tough for us but if we qualify for group stages then see it as a chance for the Gallagher's of this world (after all, that's where Kane and Mason got their chances). I just can't see it as a bad thing. And Jesus, it has a Champions League place at the end of it. Never understood why teams spend all season trying to get to Europe and when they do it, just moan about it.

Swansea - massive dark horses and as good as all of us. Similar to us in the way its run (why did we let Cork go there?!) and fully expect them to be top 8 and challenging for top 5. Play the game right, run properly, great manager, buy well and growing year on year. Like us, squad a bit thin. Unlike us, don't have to worry about Europa.

Not sure I agree that Spurs and Liverpool have players who can do "better" than our own. Mane, Tadic, Pelle will all be better for a season in the prem, Reed, Sims, Hesketh, Targett have all been blooded, JWP needs a breakout year...we're in good shape.

Keep posting Redslo, glad Saints have struck a chord on the other side of the Atlantic.