CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Starting to wonder if i'm the only one who wouldn't be too worried with Yoshida having a run in the team. Yes we need another CB but he performed admirably last year when called upon and Fonte has shown he can create good partnerships when given time with another CB. Wouldn't want him as first choice all season but would have no worries at all if he was starting the first few games. Also now one of our longest serving players with I think only K.Davis, Fonte, S.Davis, JWP and Rodriguez having played more games than him for Saints out of the current squad.

@skysports news sources understands reports confirming southampton are doing nothing to signing a centre back are at an advanced stage. Sources understand no bids have accepted and no one us due for a medical

Seriously? He was the scapegoat for ages. Mainly because in many fans eyes Jack Cork could do no wrong and Wanyama was in his place.

It was only really his passing that people slagged from what I recall.

He has massively improved on the ball since joining us, wouldn't say he was ever a scapegoat, just he had different attributes from Cork, who many fans liked.

Seriously? He was the scapegoat for ages. Mainly because in many fans eyes Jack Cork could do no wrong and Wanyama was in his place.

Never heard anyone having much negative to say about Vic. The only criticism of him I can remember was that his passing was poor to start off with, but that was soon overcome. Really find it odd that anyone could think he was a scapegoat at any time, we had plenty of others around when he joined that took on that mantle.

Yep. I remember the baying for JC away at Fulham when Vic was coming back from injury as was a bit iffy.

A bit iffy? Jesus he was absolutely appalling in that 45 minutes. I blamed MP for picking him when JC was bang in form and Vic clearly wasn't fully fit. When a player is having a bad game I don't see what's wrong with supporters wanting him to be subbed? Doesn't mean I didn't rate him, I just had a set of eyes and could see quite clearly that he shouldn't have been on the pitch that day

A bit iffy? Jesus he was absolutely appalling in that 45 minutes. I blamed MP for picking him when JC was bang in form and Vic clearly wasn't fully fit. When a player is having a bad game I don't see what's wrong with supporters wanting him to be subbed? Doesn't mean I didn't rate him, I just had a set of eyes and could see quite clearly that he shouldn't have been on the pitch that day

I was being nice. :D

Starting to wonder if i'm the only one who wouldn't be too worried with Yoshida having a run in the team. Yes we need another CB but he performed admirably last year when called upon and Fonte has shown he can create good partnerships when given time with another CB. Wouldn't want him as first choice all season but would have no worries at all if he was starting the first few games. Also now one of our longest serving players with I think only K.Davis, Fonte, S.Davis, JWP and Rodriguez having played more games than him for Saints out of the current squad.

Yeah, I think there are two of you, and you're both wrong. :)

His inability to read long balls and tendancy to jump the wrong side of players completely undermine any of the decent stuff he occasionally manages. He's a bottom half Prem centre back if he has to play a whole season, and that's where we were with him regularly in the team.

Last season we scored the same number of goals with him on the pitch as we conceded, and this is in a team which scored 21 more league goals than it conceded.

We won 54% of matches without him, and 42% with him. That is a massive drop off.

All matches

W 22- D7 - L16 As a %: W49 D16 L36

Matches with M Yoshida

W 8 D 4 L 7

As a %: W42 D21 L37

Matches without M Yoshida

W 14 D 3 L 9

As a %: W54 D12 L35

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2471&teamTabs=results

His inability to read long balls and tendancy to jump the wrong side of players completely undermine any of the decent stuff he occasionally manages. He's a bottom half Prem centre back if he has to play a whole season, and that's where we were with him regularly in the team.

Last season we scored the same number of goals with him on the pitch as we conceded, and this is in a team which scored 21 more league goals than it conceded.

We won 54% of matches without him, and 42% with him. That is a massive drop off.

All matches

Matches with M Yoshida

W 8 D 4 L 7

W 14 D 3 L 9

Morgan and Victor on the park at the same time...

W 8 D 5 L 6

As a %: W42 D26 L32

Without

W 14 D 2 L 10

As a %: W54 D8 L38

A massive drop off, so by natural extension Morgan and Vic are rubbish :mcinnes:

All matches

Matches with M Yoshida

W 8 D 4 L 7

W 14 D 3 L 9

He also was on the pitch for 7 out of our 15 clean sheets and scored as many goals as S.Davis, Fonte and Toby combined ;)

Like I said originally, still need another CB anyway, just not seeing the panic in him starting if required - he did start 4/5 of our first games last season after all.

I just want a report in the ****ing Daily Star about us maybe signing someone.

Its too quiet. Surely Crook has to earn his keep?

It is wierdly quiet. Hopefully this means we're getting business done quietly without agents using our interest to drum up more interest. Clasie was hardly mentioned earlier this summer, i was beginning to think we were no longer interested. Thenwe sold morgan and signed clasie a couple of days later.

I'm the last person to be ITK but I did believe what Les Reed was reported as saying in his interview - that we need a CB to replace Alderweireld and that the club does its business directly with any potential selling club to try to avoid conducting negotiations in the media spotlight. Whether we do sign a CB may also depend on how the coaches feel that Jack Stephens is coming along, as signing will relegate him down the order for another season. If Stephens is thought likely to make the grade he's coming to the age where he needs to be given a chance.

W 8 D 5 L 6

Without

W 14 D 2 L 10

A massive drop off, so by natural extension Morgan and Vic are rubbish :mcinnes:

Ah, but that's a statistical outlier due to Koeman wanting our best pair of defensive players on the pitch for the most difficult matches against the top teams, not comparable to the situation of Yoshida playing against random opponents due to someone else being unavailable.

The matches they lost were Liverpool, Everton, West Brom and Spurs away, Man City at home and, er, Sheffield United. Wins included Man U and Arsenal away...

It's also quite surprising that they only played together in 19 matches.

Edited by The9

Whether we do sign a CB may also depend on how the coaches feel that Jack Stephens is coming along, as signing will relegate him down the order for another season. If Stephens is thought likely to make the grade he's coming to the age where he needs to be given a chance.

I doubt that is true. I think we'll be signing a new 1st choice centre back regardless of how well they think Stephens is progressing. Stephens first needs to overtake Gardos and then Yoshida.

If no new centre back is signed, who are you suggesting will be first choice alongside Fonte? Yoshida? Because although he is fine as cover, he is a drop in quality from Alderweireld.

Edited by Matthew Le God

He also was on the pitch for 7 out of our 15 clean sheets and scored as many goals as S.Davis, Fonte and Toby combined ;)

Like I said originally, still need another CB anyway, just not seeing the panic in him starting if required - he did start 4/5 of our first games last season after all.

The sample size is not large enough to be statistically significant..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt that is true. I think we'll be signing a new 1st choice centre back regardless of how well they think Stephens is progressing. Stephens first needs to overtake Gardos and then Yoshida.

If no new centre back is signed, who are you suggesting will be first choice alongside Fonte? Yoshida? Because although he is fine as cover, he is a drop in quality from Alderweireld.

Agree same goes for Turnbull as well as Stephens.........the talent is there and eventually will replace Yoshida and Gardos and Fonte.

W 8 D 5 L 6

Without

W 14 D 2 L 10

You don't get this fan malarkey, do you?

Morgan is rubbish now, but Vic is still world class.

I'm the last person to be ITK but I did believe what Les Reed was reported as saying in his interview - that we need a CB to replace Alderweireld and that the club does its business directly with any potential selling club to try to avoid conducting negotiations in the media spotlight. Whether we do sign a CB may also depend on how the coaches feel that Jack Stephens is coming along, as signing will relegate him down the order for another season. If Stephens is thought likely to make the grade he's coming to the age where he needs to be given a chance.

Help, you have used the 'R' word.

Ah, but that's a statistical outlier due to Koeman wanting our best pair of defensive players on the pitch for the most difficult matches against the top teams, not comparable to the situation of Yoshida playing against random opponents due to someone else being unavailable.

The matches they lost were Liverpool, Everton, West Brom and Spurs away, Man City at home and, er, Sheffield United. Wins included Man U and Arsenal away...

It's also quite surprising that they only played together in 19 matches.

You really need to put down the stats books and get excited about the season to come. Your head will explode if you carry on;)

Its probably already mentioned on here but am I right in thinking if Van Dijk plays for Celtic tonight in their Champs league qualifier he'd be cup tied for the Europa league,providing he should sign for us of course.

Its probably already mentioned on here but am I right in thinking if Van Dijk plays for Celtic tonight in their Champs league qualifier he'd be cup tied for the Europa league,providing he should sign for us of course.

I think he could play for us in the Group stage if we got there.

I'm still not entirely sure if we want them in or out, re: VvD?

I will say we want them out. I would expect they will want to hold on to VVD until they are out, so as they are clearly going through to the next round now (4-1 on agg as we speak) we will need to wait until after their next round. Unless we can talk them around. But I sense we are respectful and 'slowly slowly catchee monkey' as my late father would have put it.

I wouldn't be overly upset if we nurture and play Turnbull next to Fonte this year as the next Saints starlet, but what makes me a bit nervous is that if Fonte misses games who have we got that can lead the line?

That's where I felt that looking beyond the obvious technical quality Toby has, we also lost a player with the experience and leadership qualities to cope without Fonte.

Not really knowing a lot about VVD other than he plays very well in a dross league, is he the sort of character that can be capable of controlling the backs if called upon?

I wouldn't be overly upset if we nurture and play Turnbull next to Fonte this year as the next Saints starlet, but what makes me a bit nervous is that if Fonte misses games who have we got that can lead the line?

That's where I felt that looking beyond the obvious technical quality Toby has, we also lost a player with the experience and leadership qualities to cope without Fonte.

Not really knowing a lot about VVD other than he plays very well in a dross league, is he the sort of character that can be capable of controlling the backs if called upon?

We won't be doing that as it would. Be moronic. By all means play some of the kids in the cups but you don't bung them straight in the deep end.

Not really knowing a lot about VVD other than he plays very well in a dross league, is he the sort of character that can be capable of controlling the backs if called upon?[/QUOTE]

You cant ask those questions on here.........verdict already in :)

So now he has played for Celtic in the CL he is European tied?

Edit: I will only accept answers from The9 and MLG. Thanks.

From the European rules:

As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the group stage. Moreover, as from the start of the round of 32, a player can be registered in accordance with Paragraph 43.01 to Paragraph 43.04. A substitute player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present regulations.[

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk

From the European rules:

As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the group stage. Moreover, as from the start of the round of 32, a player can be registered in accordance with Paragraph 43.01 to Paragraph 43.04. A substitute player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present regulations.[

Such waffle to say that VvD can play in the play off stages for Celtic but can then join us and is eligible to play from the UEFA group stage.

Such waffle to say that VvD can play in the play off stages for Celtic but can then join us and is eligible to play from the UEFA group stage.

Cut and paste is everybody's friend.