CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

If getting VVD and Chester costs c.£20m I would think that is good business. Overall we would be really strong in a vital position. Financially we would then of spent less than £40m on 5 players plus the loan of Stekelenburg and sold two for a similar figure. Fonte as good as he has been probably has 2 possibly 3 years at his peak left and will over that time become a little bit less important therefore VVD and Chester will get better in all likelihood in the same time and Gardis and Stephens should have more improvement too. Great business for now and the coming seasons.

If getting VVD and Chester costs c.£20m I would think that is good business. Overall we would be really strong in a vital position. Financially we would then of spent less than £40m on 5 players plus the loan of Stekelenburg and sold two for a similar figure. Fonte as good as he has been probably has 2 possibly 3 years at his peak left and will over that time become a little bit less important therefore VVD and Chester will get better in all likelihood in the same time and Gardis and Stephens should have more improvement too. Great business for now and the coming seasons.

Can't disagree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£5m or £10m who cares.... If he's good let's sign him

Who seriously gives a **** about finances?

We have sold players for millions last few years... We surely can't be short of a few quid

That would be your team, Portsmouth and to be honest it's kind of backfired a bit

£5m or £10m who cares.... If he's good let's sign him

Who seriously gives a **** about finances?

We have sold players for millions last few years... We surely can't be short of a few quid

You are right, we have circa £20m left over from last year, 2 years worth of record tv monies, the 6th lowest wage structure in the league... and another tidy profit this year. Investment needs to match the fans ambitions tbh.

You are right, we have circa £20m left over from last year, 2 years worth of record tv monies, the 6th lowest wage structure in the league... and another tidy profit this year. Investment needs to match the fans ambitions tbh.

How do you know all this? The club seems to be doing very well as it already.

Investment needs to match the fans ambitions tbh. No, Katherina can do what she likes. Also, last summer we needed to raise 35-40m to break even. Cortese overspent.

What with the 6th lowest wage budget and one of the lowest agent fee spends etc...

This needs to be Saints big signing of the summer - not getting VVD will likely cost a couple of million in lost league places if we don't replacement the quality of Toby IMO (even though I do believe Yoshi is an improved player) and so it's worth splashing a little more to beat the other suitors.

If Virgil Van Dijk is Saints "big signing of the summer" I'll still be waiting for a big signing.

He might be decent, as might Chester - but neither of them are remotely near the scale of the Alderweireld loan deal, the guy had just played in a Champions League Final!

If Virgil Van Dijk is Saints "big sining of the summer" I'll still be waiting for a big signing.

He might be decent, as might Chester - but neither of them are remotely near the scale of the Alderweireld loan deal, the guy had just played in a Champions League Final!

Well thats the point...the club need to get the best CB possible that might match Tobys capabilities. Having said that, to say VVD is not 'remotedly near' Alderweireld is nonsense...he might be perfectly matched to Jose etc and turn out better in the long run. Toby was great but certainly replaceable.

I think at the moment I'd be happier with Chester than Van Dijk, but if we're really going to get two like Koeman says maybe both would do. I see a lot of fans moaning about the Chester link whilst praying we get Van Dijk but I'm really not sure what they're basing that on other than a fancier name. Chester is a Wales international, that's quite a big deal these days, has premier league experience and is rated highly by his clubs fans. Van Dijk plays for the best team in his league and is probably rarely tested and he's not a full international, in fact, another player that saints fans didn't want, Vlaar, has been one of the players standing in his way. There's no denying van Dijk makes a good highlights reel and looks a good player but Chester is a known premier league quantity

Why do you say that? Do you think we are a bigger club than Everton?

Traditionally clearly not, as with the likes of Villa and Newcastle, but we should feel that we are a more attractive option at the present time; particularly for a centre half.

I think at the moment I'd be happier with Chester than Van Dijk, but if we're really going to get two like Koeman says maybe both would do. I see a lot of fans moaning about the Chester link whilst praying we get Van Dijk but I'm really not sure what they're basing that on other than a fancier name. Chester is a Wales international, that's quite a big deal these days, has premier league experience and is rated highly by his clubs fans. Van Dijk plays for the best team in his league and is probably rarely tested and he's not a full international, in fact, another player that saints fans didn't want, Vlaar, has been one of the players standing in his way. There's no denying van Dijk makes a good highlights reel and looks a good player but Chester is a known premier league quantity

But Chester is only 1.77m or can somebody correct me.

Van Dijk is 1.94m.

We need presence on the pitch not minions

A lot of people seem to be overrating Toby on here. Now don't get me wrong, he was great for us and may go on to be even better as he gets older but styles make players. I think he fitted our style perfectly and had the perfect partner so he flourished in that set up. IMO VVD is a similar type of cb to Toby. Likes to play it out a bit, has a bit of skill about him etc so I think our set up plays to his strengths and that it will get the best out of him.

Just because he isn't playing for Atletico Madrid in a cl final doesn't mean hes ****.

A lot of people seem to be overrating Toby on here. Now don't get me wrong, he was great for us and may go on to be even better as he gets older but styles make players. I think he fitted our style perfectly and had the perfect partner so he flourished in that set up. IMO VVD is a similar type of cb to Toby. Likes to play it out a bit, has a bit of skill about him etc so I think our set up plays to his strengths and that it will get the best out of him.

Just because he isn't playing for Atletico Madrid in a cl final doesn't mean hes ****.

Spot on.

Hopefully, we will get both VvD and Chester.

but we dont spend like that. I can only see 1 of those two coming in with a cheapo option from europe.

however, if it is just 1 of them, I hope it is done so they can at least feature in the espanyol game

Mate of mine is a Hull City season ticket owner and really rates James Chester.

He reckons that Chester is definitely worth £8m but hopes the Tigers sting us for the same fee as Shane Long which all Hull fans thought was a wonderful result for them

They got a great fee for Shane - But then spent nearly all of it on Abel Hernandez :)

The Shane Long fee was high but....

£12m for 4 years = £3m per year

Hernandez who was dross, was £9.5m for 3 years which is a bit more. IF Long can play like he did against Villa week in week out, then it would be interesting.

The Shane Long fee was high but....

£12m for 4 years = £3m per year

Hernandez who was dross, was £9.5m for 3 years which is a bit more. IF Long can play like he did against Villa week in week out, then it would be interesting.

but he really wont, sadly

Vlaar was great and very important for the national team until the end of the 2014 World Cup game against Brazil (3-0). Then he got injured. He's 30 now. It may take some time and confidence, but I'm quite sure he'll be back. It'd definitely be interesting to see Virgil van Dijk in the Dutch national team in the meantime though.

Traditionally clearly not, as with the likes of Villa and Newcastle, but we should feel that we are a more attractive option at the present time; particularly for a centre half.

Everton supporters would probably feel aggrieved if they lost out to us in the transfer market.

Hopefully, we will get both VvD and Chester.

but we dont spend like that. I can only see 1 of those two coming in with a cheapo option from europe.

however, if it is just 1 of them, I hope it is done so they can at least feature in the espanyol game

Agree, I think we'll buy one and loan one seeing as one is injury cover. Maybe VVD on a permanent and Jonny Evans on a season long loan with option to buy? Would be more our way of doing things

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Pretty much agree greed with that, but only because I haven't seen VVD play. Good job Ronald knows his onions.

I wouldn't mind Stephens as no4 if we get a really quality player to partner Fonte.

That for me is the key one. Going from Lovren and Toby to either having Maya as first choice, or bringing in someone like Chester as a starter would be a big step down.

So I'm sure we will looking for high quality as with all our other signings.

I'd bring in one top CB yo replace Toby/partner Fonte, have Yoshida as senior cover for those two, and have Stephens/Turnbull as 4th choice. They'll need experience sometime. Then bring in one more DM, and perhaps a winger/striker to add to squad strength, and we'll be there IMO.

Not adverse to us signing Chesters but not for €10m! That's crazy money when you think that we'd agreed a price of about €8m for Toby.

If they get €10m they won't have done badly out of us. They only paid £300k for JC. They paid £6m for Long and then sold him to us after 6 months for double that. Their fans must look at us in the same way we look at Liverpool.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Not adverse to us signing Chesters but not for €10m! That's crazy money when you think that we'd agreed a price of about €8m for Toby.

If they get €10m they won't have done badly out of us. They only paid £300k for JC. They paid £6m for Long and then sold him to us after 6 months for double that. Their fans must look at us in the same way we look at Liverpool.

yeah they look at us in the EL, laughing all the way to the bank whilst they got relegated. i bet that shane long money is a great comfort. ffs

yeah they look at us in the EL, laughing all the way to the bank whilst they got relegated. i bet that shane long money is a great comfort. ffs

As they were in the EL last season I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't all that impressed by it.

Remember we are looking for 2 CB's in this window; one to replace Toby and one to replace Gardos.

Right now, I see the pecking order as:

1. Fonte (automatic 1st choice)

2. (vacancy)

3. Yoshida (first stand-in)

4. (vacancy) (second stand in)

I see it as Van Dijk for postion 2 and Chester for position 4.

The pecking order is either intended to be this or we're doing it wrong:

1. New signing

2. New signing

3. Fonte

4. Yoshida etc.

Obviously with time tight and us definitely needing to sign SOMEONE, we might settle for someone who sits between 3 and 4 (as it is a huge gulf), but we should always be trying to improve on our best player with every signing.

1. New signing

2. New signing

3. Fonte

4. Yoshida etc.

Obviously with time tight and us definitely needing to sign SOMEONE, we might settle for someone who sits between 3 and 4 (as it is a huge gulf), but we should always be trying to improve on our best player with every signing.

I disagree with this strongly, squads need depth and you can't have 4 50 milion pound strikers.

1. New signing

2. New signing

3. Fonte

4. Yoshida etc.

So you think we should be trying to replace our captain or we're doing things wrong?

I disagree with this strongly, squads need depth and you can't have 4 50 milion pound strikers.

The depth comes from the players you already have being moved down the pecking order. You know, like we've been doing for the past 6 years. Hooiveld was a starter at one point, Yoshida replaced him, Lovren replaced him, Alderweireld replaced him. At no point did we consciously add a worse player - Even Forren and Gardos would have been intended to be better than what we had.

Each player should be intended to be better than his current equivalent. We're not signing bulk. Even the likes of Elia and Djuricic were attempts to give us something we didn't already have.

As for "you can't have 4 x £50m strikers", well, no we can't, but we don't look like signing anyone just to sit on the bench behind Pelle, do we?

So you think we should be trying to replace our captain or we're doing things wrong?

We should always be trying to sign players who are better than the ones we have as a general rule.

Occasionally the definition of "what we have" is a large empty space though, and in the CB position you have twice as many players as pretty much everywhere on the pitch nowadays. In that situation being better than one of the two current CBs is good enough.

The depth comes from the players you already have being moved down the pecking order. You know, like we've been doing for the past 6 years. Hooiveld was a starter at one point, Yoshida replaced him, Lovren replaced him, Alderweireld replaced him. At no point did we consciously add a worse player - Even Forren and Gardos would have been intended to be better than what we had.

Each player should be intended to be better than his current equivalent. We're not signing bulk. Even the likes of Elia and Djuricic were attempts to give us something we didn't already have.

As for "you can't have 4 x £50m strikers", well, no we can't, but we don't look like signing anyone just to sit on the bench behind Pelle, do we?

100% correct.