CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

yeah they look at us in the EL, laughing all the way to the bank whilst they got relegated. i bet that shane long money is a great comfort. ffs

I was referring to the fact that we've made a lot of money from Liverpool by selling them players that cost us little or nothing at all. If we pay silly money for Chesters then Hull will have made a lot of money out of us in the same way we've made a lot of money out of Liverpool. ffs.

The pecking order is either intended to be this or we're doing it wrong:

1. New signing

2. New signing

3. Fonte

4. Yoshida etc.

Obviously with time tight and us definitely needing to sign SOMEONE, we might settle for someone who sits between 3 and 4 (as it is a huge gulf), but we should always be trying to improve on our best player with every signing.

Don't start this again. :mcinnes: This idea of having to buy BETTER than we already have just relegates the guys who served us well to substitutes. Even if we buy John Terry, I don't want him taking Fonte's place in the team. Yes, daft to spend £10M on Chester if we don't see him as a regular starter. We don't have the budget of Chelsea and I can't see us going for regular squad rotation. I'd be happy with VVD and Stephens/Turnbull competing for position 4. But RK has intimated he doesn't see them as ready even for that yet, so scanning for someone else.

Don't start this again. :mcinnes: This idea of having to buy BETTER than we already have just relegates the guys who served us well to substitutes. Even if we buy John Terry, I don't want him taking Fonte's place in the team. Yes, daft to spend £10M on Chester if we don't see him as a regular starter. We don't have the budget of Chelsea and I can't see us going for regular squad rotation. I'd be happy with VVD and Stephens/Turnbull competing for position 4. But RK has intimated he doesn't see them as ready even for that yet, so scanning for someone else.

I should bloody hope signing better players relegates the ones who aren't as good as them to substitutes, what else would you do with them other than sell them before they lost their value further? As for buying John Terry, I suspect he wouldn't be the kind of player we'd want in the first place for all kinds of reasons: age, cost, attitude off the pitch and lack of sell on profit being the first 4.

£10m is sod all in modern football and all players of that age have value even if they're only squad players. If our scouting and analytics say Chester is suited to being a starter right now and could improve too, we should buy him at anything resembling a not completely unreasonable price.

It's the idea of deliberately paying the going rate for players we know aren't good enough to start which is the problem here, not paying a bit over for players who meet all of our criteria and could potentially make us a profit as well as be successful (or God forbid actually want to stay).

Fonte's been excellent for us, but I never want him or anyone else to think they can sit back because they're undroppable. Pellè must have got a shock at Chelsea away last season...

It's not "squad rotation", it's trying to find an Alderweireld replacement to start ahead of Yoshida, and ideally another one to push the first signing and Fonte more than Yoshida does.

I wouldn't mind Stephens as no4 if we get a really quality player to partner Fonte.

That for me is the key one. Going from Lovren and Toby to either having Maya as first choice, or bringing in someone like Chester as a starter would be a big step down.

So I'm sure we will looking for high quality as with all our other signings.

Quite.

Seems to me we'd better start looking elsewhere.

According to the papers this morning, we've lost this one too.

Everton apparently interested too, I assume after they sell Stones to Chelsea. What makes you think he would choose them over us? What makes you think they would be able to sign him now but we are having to wait until CL is confirmed for Celtic?

Everton apparently interested too, I assume after they sell Stones to Chelsea. What makes you think he would choose them over us? What makes you think they would be able to sign him now but we are having to wait until CL is confirmed for Celtic?

I suspect Everton would offer more money to club and player. And, of course, they are a "big" club.

this is where we will lose out to everton.

Les reed will make a statement to the echo about how celtic led us up the garden path, VvD gave all the signs that he wanted to come here but then changed his mind at the last minute.

we will be reminded that we do not do any transfers in the media and that we buy the right players for the club

VvD will then be rated as average at best by the majority of saintsweb and the club praised and how could we compete with everton ffs.

the following week there will be talk about us winning the europa league and/or go for the champions league....

......or something along those lines, maybe

Going to Everton.

He's waiting for the John Stones transfer to play out as he knows he's first choice to replace him, he's keeping his options open at the moment, especially while Celtic are still in the champions league and not keen to sell.

He'll be on bigger wages at a bigger club.

I don't expect us to sign him unless the stones transfer doesn't go ahead.

Probably more than anything is timing.

With Gardos fit, Koeman had tried and tested options to rotate or deal with an injury/suspension at the start of the season (where we have winnable games).

As often good players become available at the end of the window we could have held out to replace Toby and got someone of real quality.

Now we are in a position where we have more games than usual due to Europa League and yet only have two senior CBs, where most other teams have four or five.

Not a problem now because we aren't playing matches yet, but surely the Alderweireld replacement is now needed by early August, so we lose the flexibility of waiting to see who becomes available later on.

who then ? We didnt sign Toby, we had a loan agreement including a purchase clause with a hole wide enough to steer an aircraft carrier through.

I know we no longer like to speak his name but Lovren was pretty good for us.

And it's hardly fair to say that CB is the club's blind spot as if only you have noticed the shortage in that area. Koeman and Reed have both said that this position is a priority and I have no doubt that they are working to sign suitable recruits. As others have pointed out, this isn't a video game. Getting the right player on the right terms is complicated.

The odds on VvD to Saints shortened over night from 2/1 to 6/4. I realise this is driven by nothing more than betting patterns but interesting to observe nonetheless. FWIW he is currently 8/1 to end up at Everton by the end of the window.

I guess it will depend on how long Everton dig their heels over Stones, no doubt Chelsea will eventually get him. Just hope Saints get in there first.

Jos wasnt good enough for the PL.

Lovren was a f**king mercenary.

Toby was a colossal f**k-up.

Fonte was years ago.

Basically I've covered our CB signings over the last four seasons, plus Fonte. All did outstanding jobs for us.

Where's your "always this clubs f*c king blind spot" theory come from? Once you've finished your Twix, do tell.

Edited by CB Fry

Good to see that we can still wet a bed with the best of them. If bed wetting were a sport we would be in the Champion's league. It is also interesting to watch Batman morph into Alpine. Best entertainment in the world for a fiver a year, all without leaving your armchair.

Good to see that we can still wet a bed with the best of them. If bed wetting were a sport we would be in the Champion's league. It is also interesting to watch Batman morph into Alpine. Best entertainment in the world for a fiver a year, all without leaving your armchair.

'we'..?

jesus, it is about 1 person ffs. which is Alpine. which is also standard operating procedure for him.

Jos wasnt good enough for the PL.

Lovren was a f**king mercenary.

Toby was a colossal f**k-up.

Fonte was years ago.

Jos did a great job for us and was replaced when it was obvious that the Premiership was a step too far.

Lovren played well for us, mercenary or not. We also made a shed load of money on him.

Toby chose to go to Tottenham to play with his Belgium buddies. How is that a "colossal f*ck up?"

Fonte was a great buy at the price and is still in service.

Other than that Alps, a great post.

I have never signed a player in my life but here is my take on it. It isn't like popping down to the supermarket and picking one off of the CH shelf and one off of the DM shelf. Players need to be identified as suitable. Fees need to be agreed with the other clubs. Terms need to be agreed with the players assuming they want to join us. We have to compete with other clubs for the players signatures if other clubs are interested. Now call me stupid, but is seems to me that getting players on board is a business fraught with difficulties and takes time. We saw with Toby that everything was in place but that the player chose another club (and somehow this is our fault eh Alps?). Yet some here expect to wake up in the morning and expect us to sign whoever we need when we need them. Last year proved that the club works quietly behind the scenes to try and tie up the deals they want and that we get some, lose some, get some others. I have no reason to believe that the same will not happen this year. Lets just wait and see before we start panicking.