CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

I'm not sure this thread can be saved now.

Sure it can, we just need a few posts on topic...

I hope that if we do get Van Dijk, he takes the shirt number 40, because then we can say we have VVD40 in our well oiled defence...

No, you're right, the thread is doomed.

I'm not sure this thread can be saved now.

Alpine having his traditional tranfer window meltdown, banged into the forum in between fistfuls of Minstrels. Plus Dalek doling out what is without doubt his genuinely held opinions and by no means a repetitive and painfully obvious troll routine.

Happy late July everyone!

Alpine having his traditional tranfer window meltdown, banged into the forum in between fistfuls of Minstrels. Plus Dalek doling out what is without doubt his genuinely held opinions and by no means a repetitive and painfully obvious troll routine.

If ever there was an time for trousers to post 'groundhog day' it's now!

Ah, CB FRY, my number 1 stalker. I am only banging on about the transfer window because it is something that is one of the main topics at the moment. You criticise anything that I say regardless and you know it.

With the news that we have approached Arsenal to bring Calum chambers back on loan (and been knocked back..), I have concluded that actually, despite all the sneering on here, we DONT have a clue about who to bring in at CB and are not very close to concluding a deal at all...

Wenger today confirmed Saints haven't approached Arsenal for Chambers... "They didn’t try to get Chambers back on loan"

So... as I said earlier... you were jumping to conclusions!

Edited by Matthew Le God

I do wonder why some bother supporting Saints if it causes them so much angst.

CB is an area that has to be strengthened. If I know that and the rest of the forum know that, then I am sure those that actually run the club know it (as well as them having said iso) and will do the necessary. What the papers say is one thing, and what happens is another. For example - Chester was going to sign for us a couple of days ago, but looks like it is to be WBA today.

I have predicted earlier on, around 14th.

Looks like Chester to WBA, we are really not trying hard enough.

I think we'll finish somewhere around 14th. We've lost too much quality this time and with the added fixtures I feel it's going to be a long hard season.

I'm sure we are trying very hard to bring somebody in. If we were genuinely in for Chester then it's very disappointing that he's chosen WBA over Saints.

Ah, CB FRY, my number 1 stalker. I am only banging on about the transfer window because it is something that is one of the main topics at the moment. You criticise anything that I say regardless and you know it.

We're all looking forward to laughing long and loud and heartily at all your hilarious pretend opinions endlessly repeated day after day for the whole new season. What fun.

Don't forget on Thursday to do your comedy gold about how we need to get out of the Europa League as soon as possible so we can (get this) concentrate on not being relegated. Oh, my aching sides.

I think we'll finish somewhere around 14th. We've lost too much quality this time and with the added fixtures I feel it's going to be a long hard season.

This summer we sold 2 starters and replaced them with Portuguese and Dutch international players of a good calibre.

Last summer we sold 4 starters and improved first XI quality and squad depth = got more points, more goals, less conceded & higher league finish

I'm sure we are trying very hard to bring somebody in. If we were genuinely in for Chester then it's very disappointing that he's chosen WBA over Saints.

No player in their right mind would do that if offered similar amounts of playing time. I very much doubt Saints we interested in him at all, let alone competing with bids and contracts with West Brom for him. We'll be looking for a higher calibre of first choice centre back than Chester.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Chester chooses WBA over Saints. We've really havent got this under control, have we ?

Come on, you must be trolling now. Please show me good evidence that Saints definetely made a bid for Chester?

You've already been shown to jump to conclusions over Chambers. Wenger today stated Saints haven't approached Arsenal to sign him on loan.

You really need to stop taking every single press report as 100% true and then twist it negatively to find something to beat Saints with.

Chester chooses WBA over Saints. We've really havent got this under control, have we ?

Either that or we have already got the signature of the reincarnation of Franco Baresi.......

See:

David Burns ‏@bbcburnsy Jul 24

Sources say no approach or enquiry for James Chester @HullCity from @SouthamptonFC at this stage. #hcafc

bbc radio humberside bloke said he'd heard southampton hadn't even contacted hull four days ago about chester, let alone made an offer.

Edited by eddie

1. How do you know we made an offer for Chester?

2. Perhaps we made enquiries and were put off by the price even if we were interested?

3. Why haven't we got this under control?

4. Why do you expect every player we are linked with in the media to sign for us?

5. There is no no.5

Either that or we have already got the signature of the reincarnation of Franco Baresi.......

Haha, you're funny.

I do not believe for one minute we could have ever been interested in Chester. What can WBA give him that we can not??

Some people on this forum embarrass themselves with their ridiculous panicky comments and others i swear just deliberately troll to see how many bites they can get.

Have people learnt nothing from the last few seasons....we do our business quietly, we do not announce to the world every target we have and every offer we have put in.

The reason i have not bought a national newspaper for well over 20 years + is that they are full of crap......but so many on here are willing to believe every word they print1

1. How do you know we made an offer for Chester?

2. Perhaps we made enquiries and were put off by the price even if we were interested?

3. Why haven't we got this under control?

4. Why do you expect every player we are linked with in the media to sign for us?

5. There is no no.5

This is exactly why people get upset with you. You build up our hopes and expectations and then...............

no number 5.

For 2013-2014, the last season for which public figures are available, Everton's total payroll (both players and other staff members) was 69 million while ours was 63 million. Their turnover was 121 million while ours was 106. Given recent developments in player sales and league position, there is simply no way they can afford to pay significantly more than we can especially for a young center back who would not be at the top end of either club's pay scale.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Plus, this.

The Europa League really isn't that much of a pull for signing players. I would even argue that the Champions League isn't. It's a taboo for a player to publicly say "I want more money", so they hide behind the "I want to play Champions League football" line, thinking that this will be deemed as morally acceptable by the world at large.

Re Everton, if you wondered why Baines and Coleman didn't go to United, it's because of the massive salaries Everton are paying them. Everton's model is that they don't tend to pay out massive transfer fees (Lukaku was very much the exception over the last couple of years), but they do pay big wages. I would have to look at the two sets of accounts you're referring to, but I would be very surprised if the disparity between us and them is that small on wages costs.

Alps , you have got to stop believing everything you read in the papers .

My take is we were not in for this Chester fellow and we are trying to seal a deal with a n other player that the press has not picked up on .

I also think the players agent is sort of prodding other clubs such as ourselves , by hinting that Chester wants to go to a decent club like saints and not WBA .

But hey you know everything Alps

The future would be so much brighter if you had been our manager , owner, CE etc etc, but sadly the club were short sighted and we missed out on such a charismatic star in you .

How ironically optimistic!

Personally, having witnessed Saints in Europe in the 80's and 2003, I'm not expecting more than 2 extra fixtures! However, if my hunch is right about this, I think we'll still have a decent squad and could be in with a shout of finishing 6th.

Whether we made an offer for Chester or not is irrelevant, in the final analysis.

We simply dont seem to be on the pulse of CB transfer activity considering we now need 2.

There are two possibilities : we have concluded an agreement and are waiting for the right time to formalise/announce it, or we havent got a clue/have been knocked back. I am happy to conceed it is more likely to be the former, but I worry it may be the latter.

Whether we made an offer for Chester or not is irrelevant, in the final analysis.

We simply dont seem to be on the pulse of CB transfer activity considering we now need 2.

There are two possibilities : we have concluded an agreement and are waiting for the right time to formalise/announce it, or we havent got a clue/have been knocked back. I am happy to conceed it is more likely to be the former, but I worry it may be the latter.

Is it irrelevant because you were wrong?

This is the thing though Alpine. How do you know we "don't seem to be on the pulse of CB activity"? Just because the media seem to be printing a lot of ill informed bullsh*t doesn't mean to say that things aren't going on behind the scenes. Patience.

Edited by sadoldgit
sp

I do not believe for one minute we could have ever been interested in Chester. What can WBA give him that we can not??

Some people on this forum embarrass themselves with their ridiculous panicky comments and others i swear just deliberately troll to see how many bites they can get.

Have people learnt nothing from the last few seasons....we do our business quietly, we do not announce to the world every target we have and every offer we have put in.

The reason i have not bought a national newspaper for well over 20 years + is that they are full of crap......but so many on here are willing to believe every word they print1

If we'd have signed James Chester, diminutive centre back, slightly injury prone, last seen being relegated with Hull alongside "Gashton", Alpine would have gone apesh it about our seaside B&B levels of ambition and what a sh it signing he is.

He'd have a hilarious nickname for him by now, too. Something like James Chesturd.

This summer we sold 2 starters and replaced them with Portuguese and Dutch international players of a good calibre.

Last summer we sold 4 starters and improved first XI quality and squad depth = got more points, more goals, less conceded & higher league finish

No player in their right mind would do that if offered similar amounts of playing time. I very much doubt Saints we interested in him at all, let alone competing with bids and contracts with West Brom for him. We'll be looking for a higher calibre of first choice centre back than Chester.

I personally think we will be fine ~ but as a matter of probably minor statistical / logical interest to most here its not about how well Saints reinforce or replace our squad per se- its about how well that reinforcement and replacement matches up to the other teams in the EPL. Last season Saints did it very well but it was clearly a combination of good recruitment play and a somewhat weaker EPL top 4 than we've been used to- Man city were sloppy, Man Uutd poor for a lot of the season, Liverpool were floundering and Arsenal did not really get motoring until after xmas..which meant the likes of us were top 4 a while...

Like the old saying goes if you and a mate meet a bear in the woods you only have to outrun your mate, not the bear.We need to outrun the teams 8th-bottom to retain 7th this season - we don't need to beat Chelsea home and away. Given the obvious strengthening of teams like Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal a stronger top six might work to our benefit. Less freak results with the smaller teams winning and more conventional results should mean teams like Saints stay comfortably upper mid table. IF there is a slip up amongst the big boys then we are best placed to slip in - but so are Spurs and Everton with whom in my mind we are fighting for 5/6/7/8th with this year..

Why is it irrelevant? You were the one that made the claim that Saints lost out to WBA. Why are you now backtracking?

How do you know what the club is doing? Just because things aren't being reported on a daily basis in the press, that doesn't mean the club aren't working on something.

Why have you limited it to only those two possibilities?

Why do you think something can only happen if its in the public domain?

It is relevant on the basis that you concluded that the club had f*cked up because he was signing for someone else when it seems that we weren't even after him.

1323056694381.jpg

Seriously, there's just no helping some people!

What does it take to be banned from SaintsWeb? I come on here and - without fail - there are the same few people acting like ****s. I say that because I firmly believe that some people - naming no names - are quite deliberately trying to provoke a reaction via their inflammatory posts. Trolling, in essence. Isn't habitual trolling a basis for being banned?