CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

BBC Reporter:

@BBCchrismclaug: Ronny Deila says Celtic haven't received a bid for Virgil Van Dijk from Southampton. Says they're not interested in selling.

usual stuff. I'd be amazed if something has not been proposed, talked about etc

if celtic go out of europe (tomorrow is it?) i suspect VvD would have left by the weekend

So basically, £7m isn't enough, offer a bit more and after we've sorted this game then he is yours.

Agree. Apparently VVD "really wants to play in the CL with Celtic", despite quotes from him earlier this summer that he wants to leave.

Usual posturing. When you see prices of the likes of Chester and Brady, £10m for Van Dijk would appear decent value.

Celtic will sell to the highest bidder. Their business plan is to buy and develop talent, sell, and save the money for when Rangers are back in the Premier League. And then when Rangers are back spend enough of them money each season to ensure they remain on top. He will go at some point, but how much for depends on Celtic's Champions League status and how many teams bid.

I'm still not convinced. They may be bigger than us as a club, in so far as stadium size and fan base, but infrastructure and current standing makes us a far more attractive and sensible option. Also, we have a wage and finacial structure that is sustainable and we have shown that we will not break that. For these reasons, I am not concerned. Throwing money at players in a desperate attempt to get their signature on a contract just smacks of desperation. I would wonder how close to the FFP limit Sunderland actually are.

Not very. Since they are not in Europe, they are allowed to lose 35 million pounds a year on average. Their total wages for 2013-2014 was 70 million pounds, but the wage cap for that year was 52 million pounds. Presumably at least 18 million was not for players so they are ok there as well. The only real limit them face is that they cannot increase their wages year over year by more than 4 million or by their increase in non-TV income, which ever is greater.

Two clean sheets in the two legs of a Champions League tie, not too bad considering how "awful" he was in the league opener...

What is the general standard of Azerbaijani football.?

Qarabag won 1, drew 3 in the Europa group stages last year.

What is the general standard of Azerbaijani football.?

Qarabag won 1, drew 3 in the Europa group stages last year.

Sure, although those stats on their Europa performance last year would suggest they are a lot better than what VVD would face in the SPL each week.

Was more making the point that people were sounding the alarm after a supposed dodgy performance in the SPL - that doesn't make him useless, just as two clean sheets in the CL doesn't mean he's an absolute world beater either.

If we have made him our top priority, i'd assume that was based on extensive research into the player and a decision based on that research in the belief that he is the right man for us, not one/two games that a few Saints fans have tuned into because of our reported interest.

Van Dijk has now started following Pelle and Wanyama on Twitter also the official premiership page read in to that what you will.

Scottish premiership yeah?

Or did you mean the English Premier League? :rolleyes: