CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6524746/SunSports-daily-transfer-round-up.html

Southampton have made an £8million bid for Celtic centre-back Virgil van Dijk, writes ALAN NIXON

Boss Ronald Koeman wants to bring in the classy Dutchman, 24, despite landing Steven Caulker on loan from QPR.

Van Dijk has been looking to move to England for some time. Saints think £8m is fair, especially as he has already played in Europe this season so is cup-tied.

However the Glasgow giants want more and have no need to sell, so the haggling could go on.

The gossip also says that we have failed in a bid for 30 year old defender Nicolas Lombaerts for £5m.

Surely if he moves before the group stage of either CL or EL starts then he would be available for us in the groups should we get there?

I understood the rules to be that so long the player doesn't appear in the group stages then he could appear in the other league, but who knows?

Well, it is and it isn't. He would not be eligible for the Play-off round assuming we get there, but he would be OK for the Group Stages. So technically he is right.

The implication he made was that Saints think it would affect the price. Given how it is potentially only for two games and not the rest of the competition then I struggle to see how that is true.

The implication he made was that Saints think it would affect the price. Given how it is potentially only for two games and not the rest of the competition then I struggle to see how that is true.

I refer my (not-so) learned friend to Article 42.07 of the Regulations of the UEFA Champions League2015-18 Cycle2015/16 Season.

"As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA ChampionsLeague and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than oneclub in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who hasbeen fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of theUEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFAChampions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the groupstage"

It would appear Alan Nixon doesn't know his UEFA Regulations either.

have watched the game and although he passes very well, is a threat going forward.....i'm not so sure about his defencive qualities! He almost looked disinterested when it came to defending. I think Saints fans will love him tearing out of defence.....I just hope he is as good defending. Like what i saw.....but this was the first time i really concentrated on watching him as opposed to watching just the game.

The reason why he's constantly tearing out of defence is because he's asked to do it by the manager. Jason Denayer did it last season as well.

Normally if Koeman isn't interested in a player he openly dismisses rumours when asked about them. But when asked about van Dijk today...

Alex Smith@Alex_PJ_Smith 55m55 minutes ago

Asked Ronald Koeman about £8million bid for Virgil van Dijk. Clearly not in the mood. "I don’t know. Ask Les Reed about that." #saintsfc

Maybe he wasn't in the mood...

I refer my (not-so) learned friend to Article 42.07 of the Regulations of the UEFA Champions League2015-18 Cycle2015/16 Season.

"As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA ChampionsLeague and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than oneclub in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who hasbeen fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of theUEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFAChampions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the groupstage"

It would appear Alan Nixon doesn't know his UEFA Regulations either.

I find it strange that words like "As a rule" should be written in a set of rules!

In this case it obviously doesnt mean anything other than "in general"

I find it strange that words like "As a rule" should be written in a set of rules!

In this case it obviously doesnt mean anything other than "in general"

The wording is a bit odd, but I think is because the rule applies to the competition(s) proper. The exception is because currently both us and Celtic are only in the qualifying rounds, i.e. we have not yet qualified for the Europa League or the Champions League. Its a bit like the rules for shirts/numbers etc not actually taking effect until the tournaments actually start, in both cases the Group stages are the first round proper. I always smile when the top 4 clubs talk about being in the CL spots, when in fact only the top 3 are actually in the CL, 4th spot only gives a chance to qualify for the CL. Usually the English Clubs that finish 4th do manage to clear this hurdle of course.

So VVD is a player listed by Ronald that he wants. Les is in negotiation.

It can't be quick or you will be taken to the cleaners. There also needs to be other targets.

I have a feeling that VVD will shortly sign.

I have a feeling the price and timing of him leaving Celtic (to whatever club) will be wholly dependent on Celtic's CL status come the last week of August.

Dutch press are reporting that Celtic have rejected our bid and value him at €15m!!!

£10.5 sounds fair to me. It's not much more than we've rumoured to have bid. Get it done. Reading the Celtic forums they mostly think he's off irrespective of whether they qualify for the Champions League as long as they get the right amount for him. Also say he's the complete player.

Careful what you wish for. The Premier is a different ball game for VD. He will not be able to stroll around, leave his post because the opponents will have him worked out and slaughter us in the space behind him. He will need to make a big step up especially with tracking and pace. Superficially looks talented and good on the ball but that is in Scotland.

Careful what you wish for. The Premier is a different ball game for VD. He will not be able to stroll around, leave his post because the opponents will have him worked out and slaughter us in the space behind him. He will need to make a big step up especially with tracking and pace. Superficially looks talented and good on the ball but that is in Scotland.

Look we all know you suddenly consider yourself an expert because you happened to watch one game of his last week. I'd prefer to put my faith in our system and people who actually watch him every week than the likes of you.

ok i will put my hands up straight away and say i only really watched him closely at the weekend although i've seen Celtic plenty. I have to agree with Derry because the Scottish Premiership is awful. I can honestly say i was not impressed with him as a defender at the weekend. Going forward great, passing generally excellent....defending looked woeful, but i kinda got the impression he couldnt be bothered.

I'm sure he can adjust to the premiership but i think people need to be realistic about the level he has been playing against and not expect a world beater.

ok i will put my hands up straight away and say i only really watched him closely at the weekend although i've seen Celtic plenty. I have to agree with Derry because the Scottish Premiership is awful. I can honestly say i was not impressed with him as a defender at the weekend. Going forward great, passing generally excellent....defending looked woeful, but i kinda got the impression he couldnt be bothered.

I'm sure he can adjust to the premiership but i think people need to be realistic about the level he has been playing against and not expect a world beater.

I wish people would stop making judgements based on one game in the SPL (where they didn't concede incidentally.)

I just had a meeting with a mortgage advisor who is a Celtic fan (I live in Scotland). I asked him about VVD. He said he is absolute class - way too good for Celtic and way too good for the SPL. Excellent on the ball and going forwards, but also excellent defensively. I pressed him on that (a high press...) and I mentioned the Ross County game for example. He said that VVD's head is elsewhere - he is ready to leave for the Prem and not really focussed on giving 100% for Celtic. He (Mr Mortgage guy) thought that this would be a good addition to our squad (he knew his football - knew we'd just played a friendly against Espanyol for example). He referred to Celtic, in a good humoured way, as our feeder club...

Yes - this fits which what I suspect is the reality. He knows that he is leaving this summer and isn't focussed on Celtic.

I saw a few snippets of that game too, and I agree with your concerns. He was way out of position when the Ross player was brought down by Gordon, and he allowed the Ross centre forward to get away from him very easily and then strolled back rather than chase him back.

In saying that he did look good with the ball at his feet when moving forward.

He has the raw materials I think, but he does need some coaching and defensive discipline drilled into him.

I just had a meeting with a mortgage advisor who is a Celtic fan (I live in Scotland). I asked him about VVD. He said he is absolute class - way too good for Celtic and way too good for the SPL. Excellent on the ball and going forwards, but also excellent defensively. I pressed him on that (a high press...) and I mentioned the Ross County game for example. He said that VVD's head is elsewhere - he is ready to leave for the Prem and not really focussed on giving 100% for Celtic. He (Mr Mortgage guy) thought that this would be a good addition to our squad (he knew his football - knew we'd just played a friendly against Espanyol for example). He referred to Celtic, in a good humoured way, as our feeder club...

Good to hear. Although he could be buttering you up before completely shafting you on a mortgage deal. You've been warned.

Look we all know you suddenly consider yourself an expert because you happened to watch one game of his last week. I'd prefer to put my faith in our system and people who actually watch him every week than the likes of you.

You really ought to get some treatment. It was just my opinion.

Hypo, don't get me wrong i'm just giving an opinion of the game i watched him play at the weekend. I agree that he looks a class player and infact i would say he reminded me of Clyne in as much that once Clynes head was turned in January he just never looked 110% committed and i think this is currently true of VVD. I would be very happy if we sign him....i just think people should be realistic about the quality of the Scottish league.