CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

I thought Celtic has made it clear that they are not selling to anyone until they have qualified or failed to qualify for the Champions League group phase.

Everton may be a bigger club that we are by history but right now they do not appear to be a better destination than Southampton. They certainly do not seem to have any significant financial advantages over us and we can pay the same kind of salaries they can. I have no idea whether Van Dijk knows that he is Everton's first choice to replace Stones, but I suspect that whatever he knows about Everton's interest in him, he also knows about our interest in him (assuming we are, if we are not he undoubtedly knows that as well).

Sorry, but this is wrong. Everton pay significantly higher wages than we do. If van Dijk has a choice between us and Everton, he'll almost certainly choose Everton.

Caulker is a dangerous combination of slow and prone to switching off. No coincidence he's been part of 2 really poor defences in 2 seasons. Think spurs let him go primarily due to his lack of pace.

Still, we could use Caulker to plug a hole in the defense.

Sorry, but this is wrong. Everton pay significantly higher wages than we do. If van Dijk has a choice between us and Everton, he'll almost certainly choose Everton.

Dutch defender has chance to develop under the coaching of the greatest Dutch defender to ever play for his country or be coached by some Spanish guy who is renowned for having teams with defences leaker than a colander and learnt his trade playing in the English lower leagues. I think the Koeman Factor could well come into play here if we are interested in VVD

With the news that we have approached Arsenal to bring Calum chambers back on loan (and been knocked back..), I have concluded that actually, despite all the sneering on here, we DONT have a clue about who to bring in at CB and are not very close to concluding a deal at all...

With the news that we have approached Arsenal to bring Calum chambers back on loan (and been knocked back..), I have concluded that actually, despite all the sneering on here, we DONT have a clue about who to bring in at CB and are not very close to concluding a deal at all...

You realize the mirror are regurgitating three week old news right. Metro reported the Calum chambers story on July 12.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/12/calum-chambers-offered-shock-transfer-back-to-southampton-from-arsenal-5292063/

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk

Lol.

They pay higher wages but not significantly so.

Their highest earner is Baines (70k pw); Lukaku is on 60k pw (Long, king of all things moneyball, is on 50k pw). Their first team squad averages £31,447 pw, compared to £27,081 pw for us. We could more than match any offer if we really wanted the player.

alpine_saint on jumping to conclusions shocker

They pay higher wages but not significantly so.

Their highest earner is Baines (70k pw); Lukaku is on 60k pw (Long, king of all things moneyball, is on 50k pw). Their first team squad averages £31,447 pw, compared to £27,081 pw for us. We could more than match any offer if we really wanted the player.

long on £50kpw.. jesus christ.

Someone hasn't had their king sized Snickers this morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3176671/Southampton-want-QPR-defender-Steven-Caulker-loan-ahead-8m-deal.html

When Caulker went to QPR I thought that they had done well to get him. But wasn't he as slow as a glacier or am I wrong on that?

Has the turning circle of an oil tanker... I would not be too impressed by him to be honest..

Martins Indi on the other hand would be awesome...

It's the same every summer isn't it? Different owners, different manager, same old crappy seaside B&B. We really adrift on the brown stuff without a paddle. Like you i'm really disapointed with our transfers this summer. It's been nothing short of shambolic yet again. It's a good job you and I are around to wake people up to how bad things are otherwise people would continue to bury their heads in the sand. We're used to it now though, it's been like it for the last 6 season. We've got lucky up until now but if people arent worried this summer they should be.

were I a hippy, I would say that there is a lot of negativity on this forum

I'm not, so I'll just say that caulker (described on this very page as slow as a glacier and the turning circle of an oil tanker) would be a poor signing. I think Chester has a lot more promise. can't be bothered to talk about van dijk anymore as he's had 12 pages of discussion about how much we all love him

I felt last transfer window that there was always a danger Schneiderlin and Clyney would go. This would be the first summer for a few years I've really felt satisfied with where we are, if we manage to sign two solid CBs and some cover in midfield. I tihnk we have a squad that would be relatively stable for the forseeable future which I haven't felt for a while.

alpine_saint on jumping to conclusions shocker

Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

No Alpine, there is no "maybe" needed you have definitely jumped to conclusions based on no evidence. That is what jumping to conclusions is all about and you are an expert at it!

- Do you have any good evidence Saints made a bid for Chambers? Just because a paper said it, doesn't make it true.

- Do you have any evidence Saints don't have a list of centre backs they are targeting or even in discussions about?

- Do you have any evidence Saints aren't close to signing a centre back?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Dutch defender has chance to develop under the coaching of the greatest Dutch defender to ever play for his country or be coached by some Spanish guy who is renowned for having teams with defences leaker than a colander and learnt his trade playing in the English lower leagues. I think the Koeman Factor could well come into play here if we are interested in VVD

I think he'd prefer the money. Players are like that.

I have held back long enough this close season.

As usual we are showing lack of ambition in the transfer market, leaving things to chance and will no doubt panic buy as the season kicks off.

Mark my words, without bringing in a really good CB and striker we will be struggling at the wrong of the table.

The European factor makes this all the more likely.

As usual we are showing lack of ambition in the transfer market, leaving things to chance and will no doubt panic buy as the season kicks off.

Mark my words, without bringing in a really good CB and striker we will be struggling at the wrong of the table.

You'll probably find this quote on every football forum in the land at!

Would you like a bite?

As usual we are showing lack of ambition in the transfer market

"As usual", you mean like last summer when many people (yourself included) predicted our transfer actively would get us relegated and it ended up with Saints finishing in their highest ever Premier League position and qualifying for Europe. Do you not think the recruitment department deserves some credit over the last 6 years for seeing us rise from 68th to 7th in England?

leaving things to chance

What do you mean by this?

will no doubt panic buy as the season kicks off

Just because you make a signing in August, or even late in August doesn't mean it is a "panic buy". Alderweireld and Mane were signed late in August last summer, have you considered other factors mean some transfers are delayed due to clubs holding out for money or trying to sign replacements and players waiting to see if they can get a better deal?

We definitely need a centre back or two. But do you honestly think the club aren't working on this? Just because its not in the press, doesn't mean they aren't working on signings.

As for a new striker... why? We have a lot of attacking options in the squad now.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Dalek, it wouldn't be the close season if we didn't have posts from you forewarning doom and relegation.

Despite everything that has been published by the club about transfer dealings and the fact that we have said that we are looking to bring in one or two CHs, you still persist with your negative twaddle. Give it a rest Alpine. You have just come back from a holiday which clearly has done you no good at all. Perhaps you need to spend more time away? Maybe come back when the transfer window is shut?

If anybody thinks that Chambers would be good enough to be first choice centre back is deluded. He isn't good enough in the air and regularly commits fouls in the attempt. I don't believe we are that stupid when what we need is a good class established centre back. Chambers never played centre back for us and played a few games as a stop gap at Arsenal.

"As usual", you mean like last summer when many people (yourself included) predicted our transfer actively would get us relegated and it ended up with Saints finishing in their highest ever Premier League position and qualifying for Europe. Do you not think the recruitment department deserves some credit over the last 6 years for seeing us rise from 68th to 7th in England?

What do you mean by this?

Just because you make a signing in August, or even late in August doesn't mean it is a "panic buy". Alderweireld and Mane were signed late in August last summer, have you considered other factors mean some transfers are delayed due to clubs holding out for money or trying to sign replacements and players waiting to see if they can get a better deal?

We definitely need a centre back or two. But do you honestly think the club aren't working on this? Just because its not in the press, doesn't mean they aren't working on signings.

Have to say I agree wit this, although frustrating for us fans I'm sure the club are working behind the scenes. The thing is we are trying to get potentially future top players, other clubs will be sniffing around and it's not like we're Man U or Chelsea, these players will want to see if these type of clubs will come in for them first. If we want quick signings the maybe we should be going for lesser players who'll be grateful to sign fo us, but imagine the uproar if we signed someone like jos just because we want a quick signing.

If anybody thinks that Chambers would be good enough to be first choice centre back is deluded. He isn't good enough in the air and regularly commits fouls in the attempt. I don't believe we are that stupid when what we need is a good class established centre back. Chambers never played centre back for us and played a few games as a stop gap at Arsenal.

Arsenal improved a great deal when Chambers was dropped. Even at full back he was constantly caught out and committed too many fouls.

No Alpine, there is no "maybe" needed you have definitely jumped to conclusions based on no evidence. That is what jumping to conclusions is all about and you are an expert at it!

- Do you have any good evidence Saints made a bid for Chambers? Just because a paper said it, doesn't make it true.

- Do you have any evidence Saints don't have a list of centre backs they are targeting or even in discussions about?

- Do you have any evidence Saints aren't close to signing a centre back?

F**k me you have become so anal it must be a parody of yourself...

Yes, I was confused by the alleged approach for Chambers. He would be 2nd choice at RB and a 2nd reserve stand-in at CB. I don't believe he would be the Toby replacement.

I can't remember where I read it but Arsenal were supposed to have offered him to us for regular play at right back but we declined as we had Soares and Martina already signed.

For 2013-2014, the last season for which public figures are available, Everton's total payroll (both players and other staff members) was 69 million while ours was 63 million. Their turnover was 121 million while ours was 106. Given recent developments in player sales and league position, there is simply no way they can afford to pay significantly more than we can especially for a young center back who would not be at the top end of either club's pay scale.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

So European football and koeman as manager wouldn't make any difference? It's not like he'd be poor here.

Plus, this.

Also, this.

You're missing the point. We don't want to sign him, we just want to be able to complain that we haven't signed him.

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

(I note you didn't actually address any of my rebuttal, so I expect you'll be continuing with the same line of alpine_saint "logic" in the future)

Pal, you're the master of sidestepping rebuttals and answering the question only you has asked. Alpine isn't a patch on you. The absolute master.