Norwich Pre Match Thread

Wiggles31

True-ish. Will you be happy with us bottom after 4 games? Of course if we are 10th as Batman suggested we could be then the table will still be meaningless.

I'd rather we won tomorrow but even if we're bottom afterwards I wouldn't be bothered. The table will look a lot different in a couple of months.

I'd rather we won tomorrow but even if we're bottom afterwards I wouldn't be bothered. The table will look a lot different in a couple of months.

I think you are just telling yourself that. I don't think anyone really "wouldn't be bothered" if we were bottom tomorrow. That would mean 4 games and 2 points. I know its early days, but to have played more than 10% of the available league games and picked up 2 points would be very concerning. We can't just fritter away games without picking up points and hope that everything comes right, the failure to win any of our first 4 games, against mediocre opposition would give some indication that we are not looking good. Long way to go I know but you can't just ignore these games.

Anyway, I don't actually believe this is what will happen, just responding to Batman's post and commenting on his team's possible impact on our position. They drew 0-0 so its no longer relevant.

Personally I would be concerned. Losing becomes a habit in the same way that winning does. We had what looked on paper like a relatively smooth opening four matches, all of which we would have expected to win with last seasons team. Lose, maybe even draw, and the mood will be low going in to the break. Many teams are showing some form already with unexpected wins against "better" teams. This season already has a similar feel for me to the ones where we were perennial relegation fodder. Maybe with Bertrand and Clasie in the side, things will pick up. Let's just hope that too much damage has not already been inflicted by then. Having said all that, we'll probably go and stuff Norwich tomorrow and I'll look a right numpty.

That my friend is VERY bold.

I'd LOVE to see Gaston in this side. Players like Mane, Juanmi etc should suit his style.

Probably the reason I'll never move into management :D

Was a bit hasty but would like to see Marcus Barnes on the bench, possibly swap JWP for Reed.

Realistically I'd be surprised if Gaston is fit to start a game.

Stek

Cedric Fonte Caulker Targett

Romeu Davis

Mane Tadic J-rod

Pelle

I really hope we don't see JWP and Davis both included together,I hope Koeman realises we need a creative player in the middle

Apart from changing Vic for Romeu and Caulker for Yoshida this is the same team that were ripped apart by Everton. It didn't work then and it won't work tomorrow. Tadic, if he is fit, cannot play the AM role in front of 2 DMs. Assuming Vic doesn't play, it would be better to play Reed alongside Romeu with Davis in front. But don't hold your breath that Ronald will pick Reed. If you want to stick with your basic team then Ramirez would be better there than Tadic, but we all know that Ramirez is guilty of going missing and giving the ball away in dangerous positions, even if he is selected by Ronald (as he is clearly fit and has been for some time).

thank god the game in on Sky today rather than BT Sport......Otherwise, would have to listen to this nugget

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1818[/ATTACH]

There's some kind of genius in those comments.

I think he was given a book of cliches for his birthday - in Chinese, so he's had to translate them. :lol:

We need to play a solid 4-3-3 today. Norwich will look to sit deep and hit us on the break with the pace of Redmond. If we play 4-2-3-1 we will lose. 5-3-2 would keep us solid and get the draw.

I don't think Mane or Wanyama will play today for a number of reasons. Anyway we have a much better shape when Tadic plays on the left and we played our best football last season when Tadic was played in that position.

I'd also drop Pelle to stop us playing hoofball - and he's just far too much of a one dimensional player for me.

So a radical 4-3-3 for me:

Stem

Cedric - Fonte - Yoshida - Target

Ward-Prowse Romeu Reed

Juanmi Rodriguez Tadic

I expect Pelle to start though and Saints to play a 5-3-2 for the draw.

We need to play a solid 4-3-3 today. Norwich will look to sit deep and hit us on the break with the pace of Redmond. If we play 4-2-3-1 we will lose. 5-3-2 would keep us solid and get the draw.

I don't think Mane or Wanyama will play today for a number of reasons. Anyway we have a much better shape when Tadic plays on the left and we played our best football last season when Tadic was played in that position.

I'd also drop Pelle to stop us playing hoofball - and he's just far too much of a one dimensional player for me.

So a radical 4-3-3 for me:

Stem

Cedric - Fonte - Yoshida - Target

Ward-Prowse Romeu Reed

Juanmi Rodriguez Tadic

I expect Pelle to start though and Saints to play a 5-3-2 for the draw.

Why ward prowse he's terrible.

When you think about it it's utterly ridiculous that our defence is weaker than our first season up.

When you think about it, it's not. We've got our first choice LB injured and our first choice CB hasn't signed yet(!).

There were times when we had Frazer Richardson and Danny Fox either side of Jos Hooiveld in that first season.

With Bertrand back soon, Fonte still there and Cedric, we're one CB short of a decent starting back 4 and even Maya / Caulker are better than Jos ever was in the Prem.

I mentioned this (in passing) in the 'JWP needs a defense, etc, yada, yada, yada' thread. It's the one position where he's looked suitable. And as you've referenced, it provides some stability for Cedric to overlap. Ultimately, Prowse isn't ready to operate in the final thirds of the pitch, so it's the only position where I think he would warrant any game time.

-------------Stek----------------

Cedric--Fonte--Yoshida--Targett

------Wanyama--Romeu-------

JWP--------Mane-------Tadic

-------------Pelle--------------

If no Wanyama, then Reed. If no Mane, then Juanmi. Maybe JRod/Long coming on second half to meet JWP crosses late on.

Like this team. Plays to everyone's strength. Tadic lokks a threat when playing from the left and Mane in a free role around Pelle. Soares is just more class than Martina.