Wanyama

Sheaf Saint

If you could get silly money for Mané then you'd be silly not too, and I do mean stupid money. But there's something not right about his attitude and if not sorted it can upset the whole squad.

It would have to be stupid, stupid, stupid money, in the same way you might be convinced to sell Davis for £25m. It'll be hard enough to replace Manè in summer when you've got a preseason and all the rest of it. The damage selling midseason would do to the team psychologically and in losing the player himself is not worth any amount of money we could realistically get.

The same applies to a lesser extent with Wanyama. You're right that it needs sorting lest problems spread, but we're not at that point yet. It's man management time.

Edited by DuncanRG

6:07 Clumped cross field pass straight into touch under no pressure

9:19 Trademark shot into Row Z under no pressure

Commentator - ' Wanyama was left out when Saints beat Norwich 3-0 earlier in the season'

25:00 Lethargy in the box and no attempt to get to a cross well within reach

49:01 Too slow, easily dispossessed

Booked

60:51 Under no pressure, lethargy, came under pressure, easily dispossessed

Sent Off

This sort of performance is typical from Wanyama. He plays like this most games and is normally just a waste of a shirt yet Koeman picks him every week, which says more about Koeman than Wanyama. He also has a track record of throwing his toys out the pram and being a disruptive influence. He simply has to go in this window.

Jesus Christ what sort bull**** analysis is this? Where is the "showed great strength to hold off opponent to ensure we keep possession"? Because that is what Wanayama is all about and always has been. Yet that sort of thing seems to totally ignored whilst we are losing games. When playing well he has always given the ball away, looked casual, held on to the ball too long, got booked a lot...

Yes he wanted out and acted like a ****. Yes he got sent off today in very stupid fashion, which cost us the game. Yes, he hasn't played well in some games, with one or two way below his best, and yes he looked better with Morgan next to him. But bloody hell, he seems to have become THE reason for our failings on here.

I don't want him out and I shudder at how weak we will look without him.

Jesus Christ what sort bull**** analysis is this? Where is the "showed great strength to hold off opponent to ensure we keep possession"? Because that is what Wanayama is all about and always has been. Yet that sort of thing seems to totally ignored whilst we are losing games. When playing well he has always given the ball away, looked casual, held on to the ball too long, got booked a lot...

Yes he wanted out and acted like a ****. Yes he got sent off today in very stupid fashion, which cost us the game. Yes, he hasn't played well in some games, with one or two way below his best, and yes he looked better with Morgan next to him. But bloody hell, he seems to have become THE reason for our failings on here.

I don't want him out and I shudder at how weak we will look without him.

There's two sides to this. Yes we look weak without him but imho he's stepped down a notch this season. Morgan covered so much ground and did that sort of thing for Wanyama. Classie as good as he looks isn't on that level yet and Wanyama is putting to much pressure on him. CM is the most important part of our system. They need to be solid and cover a lot of ground. They are vital and decide how our defence AND attack react. Since Morgan left I thought he'd step up and become the main man but instead he's done the opposite and looks really disinterested. He is becoming a bit of a scapegoat in fairness but that's his own doing. We can sometimes get away with carrying a player who's having a bad game but NOT in DM.

Haven't hated a current Saints player as much as him in my memory. I know it's irrational , childish and out of perspective but attitude sickens me and I want him out. Massively over rated by many and whatever natural talent players have it is the attitude that takes them to the top.

Rather play in Championship with honest players than be cheering on this cnt.

Those two tackles looked to me like the action of a player who wants to get out of playing in our next game so he is not cup-tied.

This is the same guy who wore a t-shirt with the Confederate flag on it.... he's not that smart.

Its difficult isn't it?

He's so much of a mercenary that normally you'd assume he is, as has been said, trying to get out of the cup game.

Yet on the other hand, he's just so fantastically stupid its a miracle he's capable of getting food-to-mouth let alone plan ahead a week in advance for basically anything.

Its difficult isn't it?

He's so much of a mercenary that normally you'd assume he is, as has been said, trying to get out of the cup game.

Yet on the other hand, he's just so fantastically stupid its a miracle he's capable of getting food-to-mouth let alone plan ahead a week in advance for basically anything.

Anyone would think he had someone with a vested interest in him moving to a different club advising him or something. :facepalm:

I think Romeu will do his job nicely and he's been solid on most occasions when called upon, it's who comes in alongside that's the issue, as potential red card liability Reed aside we don't have an out-and-out DM if we wanted to play defensively. I wouldn't be completely against playing Romeu and Reed in the middle against Palace though, it might work and Reed might have got out of the habit of leaving late reducers in every tackle.

Our record without him in the League so far this season in P2 W2 F4 A0 Pts 6. We also beat MK Dons 6-0 without him. Maybe it will be a good thing.

The only blot is the Midjyttland game.

Two games? Against 10 man Norwich and a Sunderland side that stood 15 yards off the midfield.

"If there is any player who thinks if his behaviour is not good that makes it easier for him, then I will put the player in the stands until the end of the contract because that's the not the way you do your job as a footballer." - Sir Ronnie.

So let's hope Big Vic will be in the stands if he continues with his non-Arsenal performances.

Romeu is a beast as well. Look at the size of his legs. Problem is that he does have a tendency to lose the ball in dangerous areas. Vic very rarely loses the ball, but he also doesn't cover as much ground. Romeu creates high tempo, but has mistakes in him that could cost us. Wanyama brings solidity at a slower pace. If you want a high tempo game Romeu should play. If you want to slow everything down use Pelle, Tadic and Wanyama. I want high tempo football.

Romeu is a beast as well. Look at the size of his legs. Problem is that he does have a tendency to lose the ball in dangerous areas. Vic very rarely loses the ball, but he also doesn't cover as much ground. Romeu creates high tempo, but has mistakes in him that could cost us. Wanyama brings solidity at a slower pace. If you want a high tempo game Romeu should play. If you want to slow everything down use Pelle, Tadic and Wanyama. I want high tempo football.

Vic seldom loses the ball I agree Andy but how many times does he give it away? His passing at times is non-existent .

If he comes straight back in I am firmly in the Koeman Out camp.

I'm with you on that mate. I can't see it, but if Koeman decides to drop Romeu for him after lastnight's performance, it will demonstrate an alarming lack of judgement.

FWIW, I wouldn't be too bothered if we never saw him again. He (or his agent) clearly thinks he is bigger than us, and if we can get a decent fee for him then let him go. The media will no doubt dress it up as us having a meltdown again and failing to keep hold of our best players, but we've shown we can play well and win games without him. Takethe money and have the last laugh I reckon.

I'm with you on that mate. I can't see it, but if Koeman decides to drop Romeu for him after lastnight's performance, it will demonstrate an alarming lack of judgement.

FWIW, I wouldn't be too bothered if we never saw him again. He (or his agent) clearly thinks he is bigger than us, and if we can get a decent fee for him then let him go. The media will no doubt dress it up as us having a meltdown again and failing to keep hold of our best players, but we've shown we can play well and win games without him. Takethe money and have the last laugh I reckon.

I'm tending towards this point of view. I've never forgiven him for his little spat at the start of the season when we missed out on a European run.

I thought Rom put in a performance way beyond what Vic has this season.

Also, he and clasie looked like a decent CM pair.

Rom is good for the odd goal and can shoot from distance

it would be disgraceful for Vic to walk back into the side. It cannot happen, surely?

I don't want him to start. He is so clearly agitating for a move and I wouldn't have put it beyond him that his red card was a deliberate act. If so, sell him to Arsenal of whoever might want him. Glad Rom showed his class last night. Seems to care that little bit more...

Vic seldom loses the ball I agree Andy but how many times does he give it away? His passing at times is non-existent .

Can remember the Kilmarnock manager saying at the time we bought him that when playing Celtic he told his players not put VW under pressure as his distribution was so poor he'd pass the ball back to the opposition 9 times out of 10. His passing has improved at Saints but it's far from perfect and from what I've seen Romeu has better distribution.

Can remember the Kilmarnock manager saying at the time we bought him that when playing Celtic he told his players not put VW under pressure as his distribution was so poor he'd pass the ball back to the opposition 9 times out of 10. His passing has improved at Saints but it's far from perfect and from what I've seen Romeu has better distribution.

Interesting that Vic's passing comes in for so much criticism, and yet overall this season his pass completion rate is 82%, i.e less than one pass in five goes astray. To put it in perspective, Oriel has an 86% completion rate, as does JWP, Davis, Fonte and VvD have 84%, Mane and Targett 83%. Clasie 81, Yoshida 80, Reed 78, Bertrand 76, Tadic 75, Cedric 70, Long 68, Martina 67, Pelle 65. So really he is around about average, accepted that his pass rate may have dropped off in the last couple of games, so the trend is downward, but there is not really much in the way of statistical evidence to back up the much spouted view that his passing is abysmal. By the way I ommitted Gaston from the stats, he is actually our best passer with an 87% pass completion rate - just shows you can prove anything with statistics. Stats courtesy of www.squawka.com

Edited by VectisSaint

Interesting that Vic's passing comes in for so much criticism, and yet overall this season his pass completion rate is 82%, i.e less than one pass in five goes astray. To put it in perspective, Oriel has an 86% completion rate, as does JWP, Davis, Fonte and VvD have 84%, Mane and Targett 83%. Clasie 81, Yoshida 80, Reed 78, Bertrand 76, Tadic 75, Cedric 70, Long 68, Martina 67, Pelle 65. So really he is around about average, accepted that his pass rate may have dropped off in the last couple of games, so the trend is downward, but there is not really much in the way of statistical evidence to back up the much spouted view that his passing is abysmal. By the way I ommitted Gaston from the stats, he is actually our best passer with an 87% pass completion rate - just shows you can prove anything with statistics. Stats courtesy of www.squawka.com

The stats only tell half the story though. I forget which game it was I watched him in recently, but there were numerous occasions where he was under no pressure and still made a total pigs ear of either controlling the ball or playing a short pass.

Pass completion stats are the most pointless and misleading stat going. The fact Wanyama's is higher than Clasie's says it all. Wanyama takes 3 touches to get it under control, can only play simple passes sideways and backwards. Clasie regularly looks to pass it forwards, often first time, and is always trying to make something happen which inevitably means his percentage will be lower. If you look at the top 10 in the league for pass completion I'd be surprised if it isn't full of centre halves and limited defensive midfielders doing nothing but passing the ball aimlessly between themselves, achieving nothing but slowing the game down and allowing the opposition to get organised.

In fact, for Wanyama's to be as low as that despite only playing 10 yard balls backwards is pretty embarrassing for him

Pass completion stats are the most pointless and misleading stat going. The fact Wanyama's is higher than Clasie's says it all. Wanyama takes 3 touches to get it under control, can only play simple passes sideways and backwards. Clasie regularly looks to pass it forwards, often first time, and is always trying to make something happen which inevitably means his percentage will be lower. If you look at the top 10 in the league for pass completion I'd be surprised if it isn't full of centre halves and limited defensive midfielders doing nothing but passing the ball aimlessly between themselves, achieving nothing but slowing the game down and allowing the opposition to get organised.

In fact, for Wanyama's to be as low as that despite only playing 10 yard balls backwards is pretty embarrassing for him

Totally agree. Only geeks who don't really understand their football get excited by them. Pointless.

Wanyama very likely to start tomorrow as Koeman admits in the presser that Clasie probably isn't fresh enough to play for the third time this week.

If this is true I will be mightily annoyed with Koeman. it will show he hasn't got a clue. OK, Clasie needs a rest but there are loads of other options than bringing in a bloke who doesn't care and will drag the team performance down to his level. Reed for starters. We won't beat West Brom at walking pace because we won't score.

If this is true I will be mightily annoyed with Koeman. it will show he hasn't got a clue. OK, Clasie needs a rest but there are loads of other options than bringing in a bloke who doesn't care and will drag the team performance down to his level. Reed for starters. We won't beat West Brom at walking pace because we won't score.

Expect him to get his first booking on the 30 minute mark putting him a tightrope for a red.

If I was Koeman I would say the moment you get a yellow I'm subbing you off.