Wanyama

Sheaf Saint

Baffles me that we continue to persist playing an uninterested liability like Victor, yet Harrison Reed, a player that would put in double the effort can't even make the bench.

Reed isn't pulling any trees up at a far lower level.

Surely the ONLY explanation for Reed not being involved is attitude or for disciplinary reasons. He looked (to me) completely at home in the few PL appearances last season, and I honestly felt he was the future of our midfield. All seems a bit bizarre really. He clearly has the talent, unless I'm blind.

Reed isn't pulling any trees up at a far lower level.

Fair comment, perhaps he's lost motivation having been given a taste of first team action and now he nor anyone else is getting a look in. I remember his performance against Everton last season where he absolutely bossed the midfield,think it was Barkley he marked completely out of the game.

Perhaps he'd be a disappointment if he was bought back into the fold but RK has to try something, and I'd prefer to see someone like Reed giving 100% than watching Fat Vic going through the motions.

Its bad enough that Ryan Seager can't get anywhere near the first team yet ineffective strikers like Long and Juanmi do.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20151221-victor-wanyama-post-tottenham-hotspur-home-2860616.aspx

Speaking after Saints’ 2-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur at St Mary’s on Saturday, the Kenyan added that the number of players that came into the squad in the summer are also finding their feet.

“We still need to work together and to know each other more because we had a lot of changes in the team and we still need a bit of time to gel together, and I think that’s the only thing,” he said.

“It’s about being together. We just need to fight more and sharpen ourselves up because we have some tough games ahead.”

That is total hogwash and just an excuse. Soares and VVD are the only new players playing anywhere regularly. I make an exception of the goalkeeper. Juanmi, Clasie ( until recently), Martina, Romeu have appeared intermittently at best. The same old, same old, none scoring, slow, passing midfielders Davis, Wanyama, JWP have featured regularly.

We need aggression and high tempo dynamic pressing and runners to get into the box, together with movement up front. Pelle is too slow, plays with his head down and doesn't dart about at all and is easy to mark as he has been worked out. From Long, Mane, Tadic, Seager, until January, then FFS get Austin in, cheaper in the long run. Place money will make up the cost because he will get goals, and if he does so will others. From Clasie, Romeu, Reed and Wanyama (only if he changes his attitude. If wanyama wants to play as one defensive midfielder he has to stop wandering all over the place and play in front of the back four releasing the other midfielders to join the attack.

Anyone else think Wanyama's stock has fallen??

To be honest this has probably happened to most of our first team players with our current slump, only those now being shown to the world by being in the premier league (VVD and Clasie etc.) have probably had their values increase. I'm not sure I'd read much into this as a nice purple patch would reverse it all and start all manner of bulls**t transfer stories as usual.

There's a definite issue though with VW though, interest from other teams / the press has distracted him and he's grown an ugly ego, with his attitude and commitment dropping off a cliff and he really needs to sit on the bench for a couple of games. I can't help but compare him to Mane, who after the Man U interest has seemed to grab it for all it's worth and play better now he knows he's being watched ? (he's an example to all our players on how to do it).

Anyone else think Wanyama's stock has fallen?? At one point last year there was talk of £20m+ from the likes of Arsenal.

Do people still think he is in that bracket?

I personally don't.

absolutely

Mane is no where near this £30m player that would change united

bertrand looks miles off being good enough for the euros

this slump he killing a few players leading up to a big summer

Anyone else think Wanyama's stock has fallen?? At one point last year there was talk of £20m+ from the likes of Arsenal.

Do people still think he is in that bracket?

I personally don't.

He's had a pretty abject season but retains the talents which will interest big clubs. We probably won't get £20m, but that's as much to do with another year coming off his contract and another year on his age.

As for Mane, people were getting ahead of themselves calling him a £30m player anyway - he would only ever attract that price if he could play at his best consistently. He still hasn't done that.

Wanyama is the best defensive midfielder in the Premier League. On The BBC radio commentary tonight, they said any team would be lucky to pay £30 million and get him. Let's hope none of the others do. He's our star. His tackling, interceptions and sheer physical presence have always been immense but tonight the quality of his passing was what helped win the game for us.

]Wanyama is the best defensive midfielder in the Premier League.[/b] On The BBC radio commentary tonight' date=' they said any team would be lucky to pay £30 million and get him. Let's hope none of the others do. He's our star. His tackling, interceptions and sheer physical presence have always been immense but tonight the quality of his passing was what helped win the game for us.[/quote']

He had a quality game but Schneiderlin is much better imo.

Wanyama is the best defensive midfielder in the Premier League. On The BBC radio commentary tonight, they said any team would be lucky to pay £30 million and get him. Let's hope none of the others do. He's our star. His tackling, interceptions and sheer physical presence have always been immense but tonight the quality of his passing was what helped win the game for us.

Not worth 30 million if he only produces that kind of performance once in a blue moon. How many good performances have we seen from Vic this season?

Total nonsense. Wanyama got back to basics last night and our style of play suited him. Very little football played and we got the ball forward quickly at every opportunity. His passing is awful but when he's just thinking about smashing people he's very effective, and he helped crowd out Ozil well

Putting himself in the shop window for January, or genuinely had a s**t hot game this evening? (am I being to cynical ?)

maybe not cynical ..but if he ever wanted a move to Arsenal, then Wenger couldn't have ignored his performance on Saturday.

Wenger suggested that our " physical play " had ruined his delicate "passing game", but be sure if VW went to Arsenal... he'd want him to play exactly the same way.

Every team needs a " hard man " and Arsenal haven't had anyone like that since Tony Adams retired.

Not worth 30 million if he only produces that kind of performance once in a blue moon. How many good performances have we seen from Vic this season?

worth? ..worth ?.. it's not about value, but how much you can get from the millionaire owners who are happy to throw money at their problems.

We've learnt that much in the last year or two......

More than the dullards who are unable to separate his performances from his tŵàttîśh antics at the beginning of the season, assume.

Edited by shurlock

Think we need to cut him a little bit of slack, like all the players he put a shift in on Saturday,played an absolute belter of a game resulting in every man jack wanting a piece of him. So you have a lad who comes from a small footballing nation has been under a great deal of pressure to perform in the side, suddenly he the physicality of Saturday's game that attention has to have taken an emotional toll too. You could see he knew he had played duff balls when the did yesterday, but there is no point beating the bloke up over it..... Give him a chance.

The way our midfielders get slated on here we may as well play with a back 3 ........... Cos that really works a treat.

(45 hours might have been nothing to the old players saying get on with it but Premier league football is much more demanding today than it was 5 years ago)

Edited by Batman

6:07 Clumped cross field pass straight into touch under no pressure

9:19 Trademark shot into Row Z under no pressure

Commentator - ' Wanyama was left out when Saints beat Norwich 3-0 earlier in the season'

25:00 Lethargy in the box and no attempt to get to a cross well within reach

49:01 Too slow, easily dispossessed

Booked

60:51 Under no pressure, lethargy, came under pressure, easily dispossessed

Sent Off

This sort of performance is typical from Wanyama. He plays like this most games and is normally just a waste of a shirt yet Koeman picks him every week, which says more about Koeman than Wanyama. He also has a track record of throwing his toys out the pram and being a disruptive influence. He simply has to go in this window.

Completely useless ****. Stupid, pointless sending off. Shouldn't play for Saints again. He's head's completely gone. He clearly wants a transfer and think he's better than he is. His crap performances are affecting the whole side. I'm not scape-goating him as the whole team isn't playing well but Big Vic particularly should leave.

Arsenal - excellent, obviously. West Ham - Fine. Two games don't make a season though, and he's been one of the poorest (relative to his ability/potential effectiveness). Who knows, maybe he's turned a corner now/woken up a little.

Got your answer ?

Victor played well against Arsenal but they are one of the teams he wants to go to. He will go in the summer, who he goes to depends on how well he plays for the rest of the season but he's already auditioned well for his 'probable' preferred choice.

I'd be happy to see him go to Arsenal tbh, anywhere but to Poch.

Today was outrageous the way he got sent off, however i feel RK should have taken him off earlier ashe was having quite a poor game anyway. The issue may have been, as the likely replacement, Reed has not had a lot of game time recently and may not have been effective for 30mins+.

I wonder why we have moved away from having 2 DM's as we did under MP and RK when Morgan was here. I know Romeu was suspended for this game, but i would like to see us start him and VV regualry together. Maybe VV wouldn't feel he has to clatter about making all the tackles as Romeu would be able to chip in. JWP and Davies are not effective tacklers. The CB's look nervous as hell with only one DM in front of them too.

Any money we get for him is a bonus. If he sees out his contract then he'll just lumber about, miss placing passes, mistiming tackles and ultimately blocking the path of someone else (not saying Harrison Reed is the answer but I'd happily see him in the side ahead of Wanyama right now). The sooner he leaves the better, but considering his performances this season, none of the clubs he wants will be interested.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

RK clearly has a problem with a couple of big time charlies in he squad, namely Wanyama and Mane, which is affecting the whole team. Personally I would sell both and attempt to get replacements who actually want to play. If not, then drop both of them for a month minimum and play youngsters who actually want to impress.

RK clearly has a problem with a couple of big time charlies in he squad, namely Wanyama and Mane, which is affecting the whole team. Personally I would sell both and attempt to get replacements who actually want to play. If not, then drop both of them for a month minimum and play youngsters who actually want to impress.

Fair enough but After the summer why are you confident we will sign better or the sane quality after the summer? Also the youngsters coming through are pretty much none.

This sort of performance is typical from Wanyama. He plays like this most games and is normally just a waste of a shirt yet Koeman picks him every week, which says more about Koeman than Wanyama. He also has a track record of throwing his toys out the pram and being a disruptive influence. He simply has to go in this window.

Koeman knows far more than we ever will how disruptive he is. Given his reaction today, I think it's quite obvious that if he had a track record of disruption he'd not be anywhere near the team.

I'd also argue that in his two full seasons here, taken together, he was our best and most consistent player. He's been off it this year and needs shifting if he and the club don't work things out but selling him now would be cutting off your nose to spite your face*

*Unless, of course, his attitude gets worse and does start disrupting others.

You'd have to be incredibly thick to sell Mane.

Today was outrageous the way he got sent off, however i feel RK should have taken him off earlier ashe was having quite a poor game anyway. The issue may have been, as the likely replacement, Reed has not had a lot of game time recently and may not have been effective for 30mins+.

I wonder why we have moved away from having 2 DM's as we did under MP and RK when Morgan was here. I know Romeu was suspended for this game, but i would like to see us start him and VV regualry together. Maybe VV wouldn't feel he has to clatter about making all the tackles as Romeu would be able to chip in. JWP and Davies are not effective tacklers. The CB's look nervous as hell with only one DM in front of them too.

I keep wondering why we don't play with 2 DM anymore. Obviously Schneiderlin was top quality but even with OR or JWP in there alongside him we look so much more solid. Our strikers may be misfiring but our defenders look panicked.

Back to Wanyama....it looked to me like he wanted to get a red today.

Koeman knows far more than we ever will how disruptive he is. Given his reaction today, I think it's quite obvious that if he had a track record of disruption he'd not be anywhere near the team.

I'd also argue that in his two full seasons here, taken together, he was our best and most consistent player. He's been off it this year and needs shifting if he and the club don't work things out but selling him now would be cutting off your nose to spite your face*

*Unless, of course, his attitude gets worse and does start disrupting others.

You'd have to be incredibly thick to sell Mane.

If you could get silly money for Mané then you'd be silly not too, and I do mean stupid money. But there's something not right about his attitude and if not sorted it can upset the whole squad.