Attributes of Potential Striker?

Saint Charlie

So Ronald has said if we sign anyone in Jan then it will be a striker and after Ron said Pelle needs injections in his knee to play then it would seem like a good idea.

What sort of striker would people target attribute wise?

Obviously you want someone who can score goals (!) but for me we should be looking at someone who has a physical presence to help link with Tadic and Mane but who is more mobile than Pelle and can occassionally stretch defences in behind.

Probably for what we will spend there isn't anyone like that though.

Austin is often mentioned here but allegedly wants monster wages (and lucratively is a free agent in the summer) plus RK said he is too expensive. Does he also fit our style and link well enough with players around him?

j

So Ronald has said if we sign anyone in Jan then it will be a striker and after Ron said Pelle needs injections in his knee to play then it would seem like a good idea.

What sort of striker would people target attribute wise?

Obviously you want someone who can score goals (!) but for me we should be looking at someone who has a physical presence to help link with Tadic and Mane but who is more mobile than Pelle and can occassionally stretch defences in behind.

Probably for what we will spend there isn't anyone like that though.

Austin is often mentioned here but allegedly wants monster wages (and lucratively is a free agent in the summer) plus RK said he is too expensive. Does he also fit our style and link well enough with players around him?

i wouldn't have thought the transfer fee is too expensive for Austin but the wages would be the stumbling block. That means any striker is likely to come from abroad.

Would Afobe really do the business versus the price he would probably cost? Hasn't been great this season and recently dropped by Wolves.

Depends what sort of club we view ourselves as but seeing how high profile the PL is and how big the wages are I reckon we could get someone better.

Otherwise play Jay Rod up top once he is fit in Jan/Feb because he is better than Afobe.

Pacey attacking winger and a mobile centre forward would be ideal. Who those signings would be I have no idea. I worry it would be further loan signings.

Loans probably most likely in Jan unless buying someone the selling club doesn't really want.

Could also depend on Juanmi and Ramirez's futures in Jan. Gaston will be hard to shift on his money which probably restricts us.

Basically a Lukaku-esque type player with direct running, some pace, decent finishing, strong physical presence and effective link-up play.

If a player has all of that already and is available to us for a fair price I would eat my hat but it might be worth gambling on potential - especially if we consider this season a bit of non-starter - they could have 6 months pressure free to find their feet.

If we are willing to pay higher wages, Sebastian Giovinco would be a good target for us. However, he would become our highest paid player since he is making at least 89K pounds a week in Toronto. Given his age the transfer fee would probably be affordable and he does score.

If we are not willing to pay higher wages then it is unlikely we can find a striker in January who can actually improve the squad.

Austin is proven in this league, fee will be relatively low to free money up for wages.

He's hard working and a better finisher than anyone in our team. Would be top of my list.

Fed up of hearing about the wages issue. Palace are well run, probably have less income than us, certainly haven't earned as much as us in transfer windows, yet could afford Cabaye. I don't think they're going bankrupt anytime soon.

id make this fella my no 1 target offer 20 blow the rest out the water he s the next Aguero

well he does have a nice finish I'll grant you that.. but those aren't Premier League defenders he's playing against

...if you watch that clip again, you'll see there's scarcely a defender within 3 yards of him in most of those goal sequences...

plus I've never seen 3 more stupid goalies in one clip....and by the way....he's already 20% towards his first suspension - for taking off his shirt in a goal celebration....

Austin is proven in this league, fee will be relatively low to free money up for wages.

He's hard working and a better finisher than anyone in our team. Would be top of my list.

Fed up of hearing about the wages issue. Palace are well run, probably have less income than us, certainly haven't earned as much as us in transfer windows, yet could afford Cabaye. I don't think they're going bankrupt anytime soon.

I don't entirely disagree, but Crystal Palace has a new American Investor lined up. The implication is that they are going to be spending as allowed under financial fair play which means they can lose 35 million pounds a year (not including costs of the youth program) unless they are playing in Europe. Our owner wants us to be self supporting which means break even including the youth program. Add to that the appeal of living in London and Crystal Palace can be a more attractive destination for players who want big salaries.

I know many will disagree, but if Lambert becomes available from West Brom then I really think we should sign him up on a short-term deal.

He loves the club, the fans love him, and although he's had a rubbish 18 months, I reckon he could help give us a boost and would be ideal competition for Pelle. He hasn't become a rubbish player overnight, it just hasn't worked out at Liverpool and West Brom.

With a "big man"...(a Pelle ...or Lambert - as was) you tie up two big central defenders...whereas someone like (e.g. Long) has a turn of pace that Pelle doesn't possess.

Shane Long has extra pace, and can ride a tackle ....but he doesn't play down the middle, which leaves the opposing CB's " free" to defend.

Mane and Long can make ground fast, but will always be outnumbered by opposition CB's. Therefore the system changes (as yesterday) in order to give them a chance.

As if we couldn't have guessed... " the knock" that Pelle took a couple of games ago was worse that feared and hasn't cleared up sufficiently for him to start games.

With Jay Rod out indefinitely, Shane Long is the only "established striker" we have, and we have to use him. Even if Pelle plays he won't be 100%.

Mane is a law unto himself. At best, he can be unplayable........at worst.. he runs up blind alleys and can be easily knocked off the ball by the average defender.

and ..whenever he is fouled ....his falls look " theatrical " (to say the least)... and we rarely win freekicks, despite all the fouls that he actually receives.

If we don't play Pelle (or a "big man") then we need more attacking options, which means wingers (like Tadic) but we still need someone in the box to put away chances.

Without a fully fit Pelle, and an uncertain return for JayRod, we have to find a formation that can play to an alternative pattern.

Until January (that's a possible 12 points to win / lose) we have no other options. Only Koeman can decide which alternative he wants ....for the rest of the season.

Edited by david in sweden

What we need is a player that can score goals and manufacture goals in the goal mouth then play to him. If that leaves Pelle on the bench, so be it. We also need to be more positive from midfield, anybody who can't make runs and support the strikers whilst getting some goals in the process need to go. We don't need five defenders and three holding midfielders, then when chasing the game swop a holding midfielder who scored last week for one who has never scored from play in four seasons. Charlie Austin if he can pass the medical.

Charlie Austin should of signed him at the start of the season we rely way to much on Pelle,

Austin proven track record of getting goals in the Prem is a good target man youngish what more do you want? get it done!

....but not for £15 million .... He was " last season's Jamie Vardy" - and the only reliable goal source that QPR had in one bad season in the Prem. [/b]

NOTE: If Vardy were to get a serious injury .....I'm not sure where Leicester's goals would come from.

A winger would help, and an actual attacking midfielder. Said in the summer I think Ramirez is the only one we actually have and doesn't play. The rest are either pretty defensive, or play wide like tadic. It's a major problem as consistently playing 3 midfielders who are hugely unlikely to score makes us predictable. It was enough of a problem when it was wanyama Davis and Morgan, but at least Morgan got forward and was capable of 5 a season. I'd be surprised if Davis, wanyama, Clasie and romeu get 5 between them this season!

Bare minimum we need another attacker. If we have any ambition left we need to improve CB and right back, and replace Ramirez too.

Agree, would like Wilson from Bournemouth.

Why not? Nothing to lose, especially to a "cash strapped club"!

I know many will disagree, but if Lambert becomes available from West Brom then I really think we should sign him up on a short-term deal.

He loves the club, the fans love him, and although he's had a rubbish 18 months, I reckon he could help give us a boost and would be ideal competition for Pelle. He hasn't become a rubbish player overnight, it just hasn't worked out at Liverpool and West Brom.

It's really difficult to imagine us playing without a strong, tall striker. When's the last time we went regularly without one? At least seven or eight years, and even further back if you want to remember the last time we did it and played well.

If we're going to bring in a genuine alternative to Pelle - or even a replacement - it will require either a similar type or a rethink of how we play which I don't think we can do in the middle of the season. I'm not sure what Koeman has in mind but I suppose what he might fancy is someone to plug the gap left by Rodriguez. I'd be very pleased to sign someone of that ilk but don't have any suggestions.

As for the names mentioned: I'm a fan of Remy's when he plays properly but I question his commitment and his wage demands. Austin is a hugely expensive injury risk. Callum Wilson is promising but little more at this stage, and obviously isn't an option for January anyway.

I don't watch any foreign leagues but suspect the best options are from outside the Premiership. I was fascinated by our interest in Javier Hernandez but that's a dead duck now.

I'd still rather have an attacking, creative midfielder than an out and out striker if we had to choose between the two.

I agree with this, too. I'd much rather have a Cabaye or Sigurdsson with Pelle than Davis with another striker, good as he is. I quite fancy Wijnaldum if Newcastle go down.

Edited by DuncanRG

I've just watched Austin score a couple of proper goal poacher goals. All night he made clever runs into channels and dangerous areas. We need a player that can score those goals, we have nobody that can work the space in the penalty area like Austin. Pay whatever it takes. We have far too many fringe players getting great money so pay what it takes to guarantee the goals we don't score now.

I've just watched Austin score a couple of proper goal poacher goals. All night he made clever runs into channels and dangerous areas. We need a player that can score those goals, we have nobody that can work the space in the penalty area like Austin. Pay whatever it takes. We have far too many fringe players getting great money so pay what it takes to guarantee the goals we don't score now.

This. His second goal was scored as he was being seriously wrestled yet he was still able to break free.I agree with Derry. Pay the money after all he is a Saint!