Sadio Mane: "I don't want to stay at Southampton

SaintLondon

Spot on . The only " loyal" players at a club our size are ones nobody from a bigger club wants . Some clown on the train sat was banging on about Frannie's loyalty and questioning why our players aren't as loyal now . Only reason he was loyal was because nobody wanted him . Had SAF said " Frannie I want to build my treble wining defence around you , oh & quadruple your money " , he'd been gone quicker than a really quick thing . Matt Le Tiss , I hear you cry . Maybe, but what would he had done had Fergie wanted him instead of Cantona and for him to be the talisman for the class of ' 92 , would he have turned that down ?

The only loyalty comes from us lot , end of.

You forget to mention the one recent one - Delph. How refreshing it was to hear him saying he was happy to stay as Villa had been good to him when injured

If we consistently have two or three players good enough to be sold to top six clubs for £15-£25m every single summer then I think we'll consistently finish at least mid table (or better) every single season.

I think that's a far better plan than only signing players who are prepared to commit to six sodding years with no prospect of ever progressing to a bigger club.

It is a better plan. But it won't happen.

It doesn't benefit us much, but selling our best players is what we do. It just annoys me that Reed still claims CL is the target. With the way we operate, it just isn't possible. A club of our size simply can't replace players of Morgan's quality.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

People turning on Mane already. There is a reason he's our highest valued player and that's because he is our best player. There is room for plenty of improvement in his game but he is already a handful for all teams he faces and does some things that people can't stop without fouling him (he's the most fouled player in the league this season for reference).

And even if you think £30m is good value, who exactly do you think our club is going to sign to replace him? It's 50/50 whether any replacement for him is any good and any Saints team without Mane in at the moment is half the team it is with him in.

People turning on Mane already. There is a reason he's our highest valued player and that's because he is our best player. There is room for plenty of improvement in his game but he is already a handful for all teams he faces and does some things that people can't stop without fouling him (he's the most fouled player in the league this season for reference).

And even if you think £30m is good value, who exactly do you think our club is going to sign to replace him? It's 50/50 whether any replacement for him is any good and any Saints team without Mane in at the moment is half the team it is with him in.

This. Enjoy him for the rest of the season. Then next year, cheer on the 6mill replacement.

Does anyone else remember watching the pre season Audi tournament in Austria? Remember how Red Bull fans loudly booed him from the off, at the time I recall thinking this lad has made a lot of enemies in a short time, i thought that unless someone had been a proper cNunt that european fans seem to accept the inevitable. obviously got form.

It is a better plan. But it won't happen.

Much like all the other theoretical plans on here. We won't be forcing players to sign six year contracts and we won't be stopping our best players leaving for huge fees and wages.

well we both know thats shyte based on spending pretty much all of the money from other sales. the question you may wish to ask is where is all the tv, sponsoship and ground revenue being spent because its not just wages.

Nah, we take the full transfer fee received and allocate it to fee + wages (not complaining about this btw) this means we'll never replace a 30 million pound player with a 30 million pound player.

Nah, we take the full transfer fee received and allocate it to fee + wages (not complaining about this btw) this means we'll never replace a 30 million pound player with a 30 million pound player.

Would it not be better to use £30m to buy 2 £15m players?

Anyway, biggest thing we seem to need in the team is some grit and someone who will lead the team. Not that those players are easy to find but apart from a CF to challenge Pelle, this would seem to be the priority signing

Agree with the sentiment, but the fact is that if HE wants to go, he will. And he will. We don't pay enough. I would like Saints to get a replacement who is as good, obviously. Not a Shlong.

Agree with the sentiment, but the fact is that if HE wants to go, he will. And he will. We don't pay enough. I would like Saints to get a replacement who is as good, obviously. Not a Shlong.

Who wouldn't want someone who can beat players and play a killer pass?

The club sells the players to make money. Even if they wanted to stay here for the rest of their careers, the club would still sell them at the point at which it felt it could make the most money out of them. Even if Mane loved Southampton Football club more than life itself, they would still sell him. Of course, they don't want their paying customers to think about that too much. Hence all of the inside stories about greedy players demanding to leave. Every single one of them, just before he's sold. We'll be hearing the same stories about van Dijk and Bertrand and whoever else they decide to cash in on next year.

The club sells the players to make money. Even if they wanted to stay here for the rest of their careers, the club would still sell them at the point at which it felt it could make the most money out of them. Even if Mane loved Southampton Football club more than life itself, they would still sell him. Of course, they don't want their paying customers to think about that too much. Hence all of the inside stories about greedy players demanding to leave. Every single one of them, just before he's sold. We'll be hearing the same stories about van Dijk and Bertrand and whoever else they decide to cash in on next year.

Complete pony.

I don't believe this. I am sure they would have kept players like Morgan as long as they could have.

If the £6m replacement turned out to be as good as say, Vardy, I am sure we would all be cheering!

Yep - you can of course sign £5m players that are better than £10m players, but by and large the more money you pay the better the player you get. If we're going to sell players for £30m I'd prefer our policy to target and try to sign £10m calibre players (say, two of them) as replacements / enhancing the team rather than £5m players.

Nothing is guaranteed of course when you spend money, but the general rule is the better players cost more and I think the thing for a team like Saints is that a £10m player can make a much bigger difference than a £5m player. We'll of course continue to sign duds just as much as we continue to sign players that work out well for us, but now is the time to start spending more on quality players that make a difference. We've seen this season what happens if we don't.

Yep - you can of course sign £5m players that are better than £10m players, but by and large the more money you pay the better the player you get. If we're going to sell players for £30m I'd prefer our policy to target and try to sign £10m calibre players (say, two of them) as replacements / enhancing the team rather than £5m players.

Nothing is guaranteed of course when you spend money, but the general rule is the better players cost more and I think the thing for a team like Saints is that a £10m player can make a much bigger difference than a £5m player. We'll of course continue to sign duds just as much as we continue to sign players that work out well for us, but now is the time to start spending more on quality players that make a difference. We've seen this season what happens if we don't.

Quite right. It's all well and good planning for the future and buying prospects, but very dangerous to ignore the here and now.

Clueless.

I am still amazed that we have spent £12m on a player who mostly sits on the bench.

well we both know thats shyte based on spending pretty much all of the money from other sales. the question you may wish to ask is where is all the tv, sponsoship and ground revenue being spent because its not just wages.

I don't know how much it costs to run a Premiership football club but would assume that it isn't a cheap gig.

I am still amazed that we have spent £12m on a player who mostly sits on the bench.

They don't always work out (Ramirez, Osvaldo), and some are hot and cold (Long), but the ones that have worked out (or look like they will) like Tadic, Mane, Bertrand, Forster and VvD are vital to our team. My belief is that the board do genuinely reinvest everything they get from transfers but at this stage we're now of a sound financial footing where if we sell a player for £30m we can spend £10-15m on a player on a good wage and seek to minimise the loss of the good player as much as possible rather than making signings with too many risks and then ending up with an indifferent season like this.

And if other teams are better in the transfer market then that is fair enough, but I'd rather see us take the above approach then spend 25-33% of the sold players value on his replacement. It's a real big drop in quality of player.

EDIT: Forgot Wanyama too - he's been a hit.

Edited by Lallana's Left Peg

I'm note sure why anyone is getting worked up over this. Fact is that the market we are in we are going to get players using us as a stepping stone. We buy players that the big clubs are looking at but don't take a chance on, get them to prove themselves as good Premier League players then sell for a profit.

Players will always choose a Liverpool or Spurs over Southampton, you just have to accept that and build a plan around it which is what we have done very effectively so far.

They don't always work out (Ramirez, Osvaldo), and some are hot and cold (Long), but the ones that have worked out (or look like they will) like Tadic, Mane, Bertrand, Forster and VvD are vital to our team. My belief is that the board do genuinely reinvest everything they get from transfers but at this stage we're now of a sound financial footing where if we sell a player for £30m we can spend £10-15m on a player on a good wage and seek to minimise the loss of the good player as much as possible rather than making signings with too many risks and then ending up with an indifferent season like this.

And if other teams are better in the transfer market then that is fair enough, but I'd rather see us take the above approach then spend 25-33% of the sold players value on his replacement. It's a real big drop in quality of player.

EDIT: Forgot Wanyama too - he's been a hit.

What stopping us reinvesting the the whole transfer fee and wages of the player though. If we sell a schneiderlin for 25m+60k wages or whatever why not go and buy a 25m midfielder on 60 grand wages.

This would be properly re investing in my opinion not packing the squad with a load of bargain basement signings. Replace quality with quality. It's not asking kat to **** away her money either as we are just spending what we sell.

Also in advance I don't believe the hogwash about we couldn't attract a 25m player from we are paying him more wages then he is already on there's no reason he wouldn't want to come here

What stopping us reinvesting the the whole transfer fee and wages of the player though. If we sell a schneiderlin for 25m+60k wages or whatever why not go and buy a 25m midfielder on 60 grand wages.

This would be properly re investing in my opinion not packing the squad with a load of bargain basement signings. Replace quality with quality. It's not asking kat to **** away her money either as we are just spending what we sell.

Also in advance I don't believe the hogwash about we couldn't attract a 25m player from we are paying him more wages then he is already on there's no reason he wouldn't want to come here

When is the last time a player worth £25m went for around that transfer fee as a sideways move and only increased their wages from say 40k to 60k? Quite simply those sorts of players join better teams than us.

If you're paying 25 million for a player then there will be bigger clubs than us interested and so he will go elsewhere. And 25 million pound players don't sign contracts for 60k a week. That's why Morgan left

When is the last time a player worth £25m went for around that transfer fee as a sideways move and only increased their wages from say 40k to 60k? Quite simply those sorts of players join better teams than us.

Lukaku maybe as an example of recent times. Think he's on slightly higher wages 75k? Although I think we would get more value from abroad. We know countries like Italy Holland etc don't pay anywhere near our wages.

Lukaku maybe as an example of recent times. Think he's on slightly higher wages 75k? Although I think we would get more value from abroad. We know countries like Italy Holland etc don't pay anywhere near our wages.

Lukaku is just about the only example of a player moving to a non 'top 6' club for north of £25M ever. He's also similar to Bertrand in that he saw what life at a big 6 club is like when you aren't playing and decided to move to get matches. We do quite well in picking up players like that with Bertrand and Romeu fitting that model. There must be others out there though.

We can definitely get more value from abroad and have proved that by buying Pelle, Tadic, Mane, VvD and Wanyama.

The issue is that if we were to try and get a £25M valued player he would more than likely also be on the radar of clubs much bigger than us, and his wage offers from those clubs would be substantially more than we would offer.

Lukaku is just about the only example of a player moving to a non 'top 6' club for north of £25M ever. He's also similar to Bertrand in that he saw what life at a big 6 club is like when you aren't playing and decided to move to get matches. We do quite well in picking up players like that with Bertrand and Romeu fitting that model. There must be others out there though.

When Lukaku joined Everton they were a top 6 club. It was on loan, but they finished 5th that season.

When Lukaku joined Everton they were a top 6 club. It was on loan, but they finished 5th that season.

That kind of blows pimpin4rizeal's theory out of the water then. Can anyone show an example of a player moving to a mid table club for £25M or more?

Pione Sisto from Midgetland looked like a decent player in the two qualifier games, though I note his goals return this season is comparatively weak. Would definitely fit the 6m replacement mark...

2 league goals, lets see that would be the same number as one of our much derided (by you) midfield players in a very poor quality league... Good call :lol:

That kind of blows pimpin4rizeal's theory out of the water then. Can anyone show an example of a player moving to a mid table club for £25M or more?

Darren bent to villa, just after finishing 6th, cost 24m, is getting there (over 20m)

Soldado to spurs, just after finishing 5th, cost 25.8m, is arguable.

But there are only 7 clubs who have spent more than 25m on a player; Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Everton and Spurs.

Next bracket (15-24m) is Villa, Leeds, Newcastle, us and west ham.

2 league goals, lets see that would be the same number as one of our much derided (by you) midfield players in a very poor quality league... Good call :lol:

He's got two in the Europa League as well, though I did acknowledge his return this season is worse (I also suggested him as a bargain basement Mane replacement, not as my preferred #10 option). That said, last season Sisto scored 8 in the league. Remind me, over the course of the season (and a half) before this one, how many goals did our much derided midfielder score?

Sadly he will go to a "top" club as will any other outstanding talent that flourishes at SMS. Loyalty to one club hardly exists in today's game and whatever we wish for Saints will always be a "feeder" club to the bigger boys. Its the ability to buy wisely and successfully to replace them that will define the future in the short term at least. No point in thinking anything else in today's money fuelled game.

Well not having the entire accounts in my head I'd hazard a guess that we as a club have a pretty top heavy administration and that it costs a great deal of money. How much do the Hampshire police take off of us in a season? We know that we paid a record (for us) 5.3 million £ agents fees this year, as we only have about 30 million £ left when the salaries etc have been paid it's not particulary difficult to imagine how it's spent.

If we consistently have two or three players good enough to be sold to top six clubs for £15-£25m every single summer then I think we'll consistently finish at least mid table (or better) every single season.

I think that's a far better plan than only signing players who are prepared to commit to six sodding years with no prospect of ever progressing to a bigger club.

I somewhat completely agree with this theory, it would be nice to get to a point where we perhaps pay enough to get a bit more longevity out of our players, for instance Everton seem to manage it pretty well, but I dont know the state of our finances to comment

But there will never be a point, without man city style investment (which is largely redundant now FFP is involved and which is unlikely as we are a far smaller club) that we will keep our best players indefinitely

If we continue to sell players will come here with only one thing on their minds, moving out as quick as possible.

Eventually we will be relegated.

We cannot continue to let players go. They must sign for six years minimum. We cannot build a team around reserve players.

The policy has to stop.....

Also we have to shout from the rooftops our ambition.....our ambition incase you didn't know is Champions League....

We currently seem to have no stated target so why would any player want to be here except to move on.

The are actively demotivitating players.

Are you even allowed to sign players to six year contracts? Certainly, they are very rare. Also, would we be better off if Osvaldo and Rameriz had been signed to six year contracts?