Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

They didn't play 3 at the back yesterday though and even if they were going to it would be Dier/Toby/Vertongen. They have so many options because the young lad Walker Peters looked decidedly handy at RB yesterday as well. Even Vic didn't make the starting line up because Dier took his place, not being required in the back row on this occasion.

Yes, sorry I wasn't saying they definitely are. Just that they started to use it a bit more towards the end of last season (we were discussing Wimmer a couple of weeks ago). Obviously Alderweireld & Vertonghen are first choice, but he was surprised Wimmer didn't get more time when they were injured, thinks he showed better promise at CB than Dier.

Yes, sorry I wasn't saying they definitely are. Just that they started to use it a bit more towards the end of last season (we were discussing Wimmer a couple of weeks ago). Obviously Alderweireld & Vertonghen are first choice, but he was surprised Wimmer didn't get more time when they were injured, thinks he showed better promise at CB than Dier.

Well of course that's his opinion, probably seen the bloke more than any of us really but Wimmer is not a very good player because he has what I would call "lacunes", gaps when he goes missing or isn't where he should be, when he should be. We don't need him either.

Well of course that's his opinion, probably seen the bloke more than any of us really but Wimmer is not a very good player because he has what I would call "lacunes", gaps when he goes missing or isn't where he should be, when he should be. We don't need him either.

Sounds like a couple of defenders we already have.

I think Wimmer's lack of game time is more down to the purchase of Wanyama than anything else. MP prefers Wanyama and Dembele midfield so Dier moves to centre back (where he started) to cover if one of Vertonghen or Alderweireld is injured/suspended.

Wimmer becomes 4th choice. And how often do we play our 4th choice? Last season that was Gardos (VVD, Stephens, Yoshi as top 3). I think he hardly touched a ball all season.

Beggars belief that we are offering so much money for someone who can't get a game . Spurs/Levy always demand top dollar so seems odd why we would deal with them in the first place .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yet Barcelona just paid 40m euros for Spurs worst ever midfielder - madness.

Have you seen Wimmer play? I have on tv twice and both times looked decent enough to me not the clod hopping 3 toe'd freak some on here say he is.

Have you seen Wimmer play? I have on tv twice and both times looked decent enough to me not the clod hopping 3 toe'd freak some on here say he is.

I hav'nt seen that much of him but agree the 1 game I did see he was fine.

I cannot recall though if he was dominant in the air though, which is something I think we desperately need.

Any thoughts?

Didnt MP prefer to use Eric Dier at CB when Alderwhatshisname was injured last season? Says all you need to know

I think that you just have to accept that some players, good as they may be, just aren't suited to English football, which is probably the case of Paulinho. Anyway Barca are definitely on the decline just now, watched about half an hour of their SuperCup game yesterday and they really weren't at the races. Constant managerial changes are probably something to do with that though. How many is that now, 4 in 5 years ?

I hav'nt seen that much of him but agree the 1 game I did see he was fine.

I cannot recall though if he was dominant in the air though, which is something I think we desperately need.

Any thoughts?

I thought he was strong, decent in the air and ok on the ball, very committed type - he is not the beast of a centre half I was hoping for

but then again I don't see things the same way as the club on this - I would have had a defender in January or as soon as window opened priority but they know things I don't with regards to finance.

We've offered €17m for Hoedt apparently.

https://www.calciomercato.it/news/273899/calciomercato_lazio_offerta_importante_per_hoedt_le_ultime_di_cm_it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"SOUTHAMPTON IN PRESSING ON THE DUTCHMAN. WHITE-EYED THINK OF PALETTA

CALCIOMERCATO LAZIO HOEDT / Left on the bench for all 90 minutes of the Supercoppa Italian victory over Juventus, Wesley Hoedt may have played his last official match with the Lazio shirt . According to reports gathered by Calciomercato.it , for the 23 year old Dutch central defender came an offer of 17 million euro from the Southampton . The Saints, however, is a welcome destination to the player. To replace him, the Biancoceleste club is pressing for Milan for Argentine-Argentine Gabriel Paletta.

Valerio Cassetta"

Personally I don't give a stuff how much money we spend on a player or how much we get for a player. It's all monopoly money and has no reflection on the impact a player has on a team, especially when the wages element is rarely revealed.

We've offered €17m for Hoedt apparently.

https://www.calciomercato.it/news/273899/calciomercato_lazio_offerta_importante_per_hoedt_le_ultime_di_cm_it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the guy I really really want us to buy not Wimmer , for me this guy is on a par with DVD and actually has potential technically beyond him .....the only other CB close is christianson but we wont be getting him

I would have thought that the point is very simple. You wrote "Beggars belief that we are offering so much money". How do you know what money is being offered and how much is it that you feel it necessary to state that it beggars belief? Me thinks you are going on what the papers have said that Spurs are trying to get. That may be true, it may not be, but you seem awfully certain, so was just wondering how certain you were.
Ok a question for you . Has Levy ever sold a player for anything other than top money ? He doesn't do bargain basement players . I don't understand why we would be dealing with Spurs at all .

Our black box must be running out of ideas

Ok a question for you . Has Levy ever sold a player for anything other than top money ? He doesn't do bargain basement players . I don't understand why we would be dealing with Spurs at all .

I agree mostly he gets top deals.

Sigurdsson was sold from £8m however

https://talksport.com/football/transfer-news-former-tottenham-striker-roberto-soldado-set-join-fenerbahce-ps725million

Hilarious...

Soldado was purchased for for 26m and sold for 7.5.... so yet again you are wrong.... :lol:

Now I do agree with you about asking why one would want to deal with Levy.

Another one to add to Soldado is Fazio. Bought for £9m sold for £2.5m. N'Jie signer for £13m sold for half that. But generally, they do seem to sell pretty well, as in fairness, do Liverpool.

"SOUTHAMPTON IN PRESSING ON THE DUTCHMAN. WHITE-EYED THINK OF PALETTA

CALCIOMERCATO LAZIO HOEDT / Left on the bench for all 90 minutes of the Supercoppa Italian victory over Juventus, Wesley Hoedt may have played his last official match with the Lazio shirt . According to reports gathered by Calciomercato.it , for the 23 year old Dutch central defender came an offer of 17 million euro from the Southampton . The Saints, however, is a welcome destination to the player. To replace him, the Biancoceleste club is pressing for Milan for Argentine-Argentine Gabriel Paletta.

Valerio Cassetta"

Been wondering what was happening with him. Looks good in the vids I've seen.

Didnt MP prefer to use Eric Dier at CB when Alderwhatshisname was injured last season? Says all you need to know

Dier is a centre back by trade and was converted to a defensive midfielder by Pochettino, so hiim being third choice CB at Spurs ahead of Wimmer is not that surprising, especially when they have Wanyama to step in as the defensive midfielder.

I think that you just have to accept that some players, good as they may be, just aren't suited to English football, which is probably the case of Paulinho. Anyway Barca are definitely on the decline just now, watched about half an hour of their SuperCup game yesterday and they really weren't at the races. Constant managerial changes are probably something to do with that though. How many is that now, 4 in 5 years ?

Valverde has only just started there, Luis Enrique was there for 3 years. Prior to that Tito Vilanova and Gerardo Martino were there for a season each (Vilanova stepped down due to cancer) so whilst you're right, you're taking it from the end of Vilanova's reign to the start of Valverde's. You're also ignoring that Pep was there for 4 years prior to Vilanova.

The slow start is more to do with Valverde just starting, and the fact that they played most of the game with 10 men as Deulofeu had to start in Neymar's role. The fact tey can't defend doesn't help!

No idea who this John Harriott fella is, and whether or not he's reliable, but 'for the record' in case there's any truth in it...

John Harriott‏ @JHFootballAgent

Southampton are looking at Gremio wonder kid Luan #saintsfc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.goal.com/brasilglobaltour/en/news/5457/brasil-global-tour/2017/08/14/37786332/why-luan-is-a-brazilian-gem

Sounds like the sort of player we usually go for.... relatively unknown, had a few set-backs, lots of promise, etc...

He could be just what we're looking for:

Designed to break down defensive sides who set out only to spoil, he was introduced to float around the front three, offering better angles for the quick passing exchanges and join a previously fragmented midfield to the front line. "He is like a bridge, connecting two pieces together," said the great Tostao.

Scolari labelled Luan a “game-changer” - and that’s exactly what he is. Luan doesn’t win games, he changes them, enabling others to do so. He has that rare ability to make everyone else better. It took a while, but Brazil has caught on. Luan is now widely regarded as arguably the league’s best player.

Tostao went on to insist: "Luan is among the top five Brazilian players today." And Tite is now on board, too, last week adding Luan to his Brazil squad for World Cup qualifying.

So if your club doesn’t try to sign Luan this transfer window, it’s likely because they just weren’t looking hard enough. They wouldn’t be the first.

Edited by trousers

No idea who this John Harriott fella is, and whether or not he's reliable, but 'for the record' in case there's any truth in it...

http://www.goal.com/brasilglobaltour/en/news/5457/brasil-global-tour/2017/08/14/37786332/why-luan-is-a-brazilian-gem

He's 24, so not really a kid.

I have a Brazilian relative staying with me currently ...just asked him bout Luan , he say he is mustard an exceptional player .

I now know this is definitely going to happen because your username is charliemiller, you have a Brazilian relative and, as we all know Southampton's Charles Miller gave football to Brazil and they're now going to pay us back with this Brazilian wonder kid. Marvellous!

I now know this is definitely going to happen because your username is charliemiller' date=' you have a Brazilian relative and, as we all know Southampton's Charles Miller gave football to Brazil and[b'] they're now going to pay us back with this Brazilian wonder kid[/b]. Marvellous!

Wasn't that meant to be Guly ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like the sort of player we usually go for.... relatively unknown, had a few set-backs, lots of promise, etc...

He could be just what we're looking for:

Designed to break down defensive sides who set out only to spoil, he was introduced to float around the front three, offering better angles for the quick passing exchanges and join a previously fragmented midfield to the front line. "He is like a bridge, connecting two pieces together," said the great Tostao.

Scolari labelled Luan a “game-changer” - and that’s exactly what he is. Luan doesn’t win games, he changes them, enabling others to do so. He has that rare ability to make everyone else better. It took a while, but Brazil has caught on. Luan is now widely regarded as arguably the league’s best player.

Tostao went on to insist: "Luan is among the top five Brazilian players today." And Tite is now on board, too, last week adding Luan to his Brazil squad for World Cup qualifying.

So if your club doesn’t try to sign Luan this transfer window, it’s likely because they just weren’t looking hard enough. They wouldn’t be the first.

I thought we didn't scout in South America?!

According to the telegraph we are only looking at bringing one more.player in - an attacking one, could this be it I wonder. Haven't we also bid for Hoedt as well though.

Pretty much fits with what Tom28 a few days ago.

- Signed Lemina

- Signed a GK.

- Looking at an attacking player (possible loan)

- The only variable is replacement for VvD (should he leave) which is an understandable variable.

If he only made the Brazil squad last week, then he won't qualify for a work permit.

no this isn't how it works now, things have changed. Richarlison got a work permit having only played 9 games for the U20s. Luan was a star at Rio Olympics for Brazil so just as likely to get a work permit. If people want to hear Luan discussed in much more detail as a player, you can listen to a podcast on him here: https://player.fm/series/world-football-index-podcast/wfi-scouting-spotlight-luan-gremio