Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

They can say they intend to buy players for 8-12m all they like, inflation thanks to this tv deal means many players that would have been in that price range last year will now be nearer 15-18m.

I was thinking that too . If Les Reed is determined to stick to that price range we are going to get left behind very quickly .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Stanciu, Nagy and Kaputska all for around 10 million would be great business. Adds depth to the squad and brings in players with lots of potential to a club and under a manager who both have a history of improving players!

This. Getting a bit worried. Really need to strengthen soon. Just defence, midfield and up front. And goalie if Stekkers off to cuddle up again with Koeman

Stek signed for Everton a week ago.

Not that he was any great shakes anyway.

Not sure we need to strengthen defence, but midfield for sure.

Stanciu, Nagy and Kaputska all for around 10 million would be great business. Adds depth to the squad and brings in players with lots of potential to a club and under a manager who both have a history of improving players!

How much is each player?

Would any of those be starters though?

Stanciu according to Romanian experts would struggle physically and would certainly need time (judging by Cedric and Clasie maybe a whole season).

Nagy and Kaputska would be great signings but I wouldn't expect either to set the world alight from the start, they would need plenty of time to adjust to the pace of the league, the step up in class from their domestic league and to fulfil their potential.

We have lost our best attacking player (Mane), our first pick defensive midfielder (VW) and likely our most reliable goalscorer over the last two years.

In addition to potential we need proven quality if we have any ambition to even match what we did last year. I think we need 3 x players who will come straight in to the starting XI.

Would any of those be starters though?

Stanciu according to Romanian experts would struggle physically and would certainly need time (judging by Cedric and Clasie maybe a whole season).

Nagy and Kaputska would be great signings but I wouldn't expect either to set the world alight from the start, they would need plenty of time to adjust to the pace of the league, the step up in class from their domestic league and to fulfil their potential.

We have lost our best attacking player (Mane), our first pick defensive midfielder (VW) and likely our most reliable goalscorer over the last two years.

In addition to potential we need proven quality if we have any ambition to even match what we did last year. I think we need 3 x players who will come straight in to the starting XI.

Proven quality now seems to start at around £20m a pop. If you're hoping we'll recruit 3 players at that kind of price, I fear you'll be very disappointed come the end of the window. The whole 'get used to the league' thing is also a bit of a red-herring - some players who are new to the league shine immediately and some don't, and some who are already established premier league players lose form when they move to another club (as we've seen with several departures from Southampton). I'd rather we bought sound, technical players and trusted in that technique than bow to spurious nonsense about the PL being fundamentally different to football as it's played across the channel & beyond.

Proven quality now seems to start at around £20m a pop. If you're hoping we'll recruit 3 players at that kind of price, I fear you'll be very disappointed come the end of the window. The whole 'get used to the league' thing is also a bit of a red-herring - some players who are new to the league shine immediately and some don't, and some who are already established premier league players lose form when they move to another club (as we've seen with several departures from Southampton). I'd rather we bought sound, technical players and trusted in that technique than bow to spurious nonsense about the PL being fundamentally different to football as it's played across the channel & beyond.

£20m X 3 is not beyond us? Why do you think we won't?

Buying young and unproven with the view to sell on at a huge profit is a great model to have,however it is not the greatest model to have when you start talking about CL and winning things as you need a certain stability within the spine of your team to build on,you cant expect to sell the best each summer and improve year on year,I know we have finished higher every season but we are now talking breaking into the top 4,and with what others are spending Utd/City/Leicester etc we are going to be left behind unless we buy a few "proven" players at unfortunately higher prices,if teams like Palace can throw around £30m for Benteke then no doubt in my mind we can.

At some point shopping around Europes bargain basement is going to cost you and with more games this season due to group stage Europa you would think we would be looking to bolster the team not sell and then just replace with a cheaper model

Also I am not really buying this buy young sell high model anyway we seem to be following,who have we sold that we bought cheap and then sold on for a big profit Mane & Lovren is all I can think of,everyone else came through the academy or has been here since L1 days,and other than VVD I cant think of any player who will move on for a bigger profit,maybe Cedric if he develops but other than that we wouldn't get a great return on what we currently have

Gaston,Osvaldo,Juanmi,Forren & Mayuka were all serious flops, that came here under the "potential" tag,and for me there has been more flops than improvements

£20m X 3 is not beyond us? Why do you think we won't?

No special knowledge, just based on previous summers. The club haven't ever really pushed the boat out on fees compared to what the rest of the league are doing, so I find it hard to imagine that we'll suddenly start trying to keep up with them now. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we even brought in even one player at the £20m+ mark - far more likely we'll do what we did in Koeman's first summer and bring in a few at around the 10-12m mark again.

No special knowledge, just based on previous summers. The club haven't ever really pushed the boat out on fees compared to what the rest of the league are doing, so I find it hard to imagine that we'll suddenly start trying to keep up with them now. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we even brought in even one player at the £20m+ mark - far more likely we'll do what we did in Koeman's first summer and bring in a few at around the 10-12m mark again.
In the 14/15 season we spent £68m on transfers.Last year about £40m. I think we might spend about £60+ million again as we need strengthening with first team players.

In the 14/15 season we spent £68m on transfers.Last year about £40m. I think we might spend about £60+ million again as we need strengthening with first team players.

Plus we will likely bring in a decent bit over £50m so if we spent £70m it would only be £20m net which would be one of the lower net spends in the league you would imagine.

Its definitely possible without being reckless, due to the massive TV money and player sales cash, plus inflated prices.

Edited by Slugger

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14608031.Pelle_set_to_quit_Saints_for_China/?ref=twtrec

Piece on Pelle suggests Puel feels the squad is already good and at least right now, does not plan on a huge number of transfers. A replacement for Wanyama and a RB are the priorities. Austin was the Pelle replacement and With Seager (who I thought had messed up his knee) and maybe Gallagher to provide back up to Long, Rodriguez and Austin.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14608031.Pelle_set_to_quit_Saints_for_China/?ref=twtrec

Piece on Pelle suggests Puel feels the squad is already good and at least right now, does not plan on a huge number of transfers. A replacement for Wanyama and a RB are the priorities. Austin was the Pelle replacement and With Seager (who I thought had messed up his knee) and maybe Gallagher to provide back up to Long, Rodriguez and Austin.

penny pinching from us as per

Mane replacement is an absolute must.

Wouldn't say any of the current U21s beyond Reed, Targett and maybe Jones are ever going to be PL quality. Many were average out on loan much lower down.

Admirable policy but would also bring valid questions of just where the money goes if we don't spend the money we have got through player sales.

We must be making a fortune.

The obvious back up for Austin then.

If true, then that does look thin on the ground for first choice and cover. Not sure Austin or Rodriguez can be relied on with their records.

penny pinching from us as per

I don't know, looks like they are hoping to pinch the pennies to an even greater extent than they have in the last two seasons. Kind of annoying when the new TV deal will beef up the finances a lot, not to mention the no doubt incoming bragging about increased sponsorship deals and kit deals.

Sounds like the planned Saints summer is:

Pelle = Austin and a youth player £0

Mané = Redmond £11m

Wanyama = new guy £8-12m

A RB £? probably around £8-12m

Spend = 27m-35m

Sold = £58m

Unless that was Redmond after-all.

Hopefully not. Mane scored more goals last year than Redmond probably has in 4 years at Norwich and Birmingham.

With the added Europa games we could use an additional wide player too if playing 4-3-3. Unless Isgrove is seen as being able to step up from League One? He has a habit of being great in pre season and then disappearing.

I am all for the Academy being the first port of call but the players have to be good enough otherwise its to the detriment of the Club.

I don't know, looks like they are hoping to pinch the pennies to an even greater extent than they have in the last two seasons. Kind of annoying when the new TV deal will beef up the finances a lot, not to mention the no doubt incoming bragging about increased sponsorship deals and kit deals.

Sounds like the planned Saints summer is:

Pelle = Austin and a youth player £0

Mané = Redmond £11m

Wanyama = new guy £8-12m

A RB £? probably around £8-12m

Spend = 27m-35m

Sold = £58m

Wanyama and Mane's sale should have meant new players coming in who will be immediate starts in the 1st team

We will struggle to make top 10 without replacing any of the ones that leave imo

Austin & J-rod could score 20 goals each or spend all season on the sidelines,why would you take that gamble when you are going into the biggest season in the clubs history,and they are now looking more like liabilitys than assets,it really is a 50/50 gamble with them.

Redmond has never shone in the prem,granted he was in a poor Norwich side but he never stood out as something special and he has never looked at Mane's level.

The obvious back up for Austin then.

If true, then that does look thin on the ground for first choice and cover. Not sure Austin or Rodriguez can be relied on with their records.

No. Rodriguez has not proven he can return to his previous performance level and Austin is highly prone to constant smaller injuries that keep him out 3-4 weeks at a time and don't ever allow him to reach full fitness.

I've never been worried about us selling players because we always replace them well. However, if this is the year that we're going to decide to stop doing that and rely on our youth instead, who seem to be lacking in quality, this could be the "failure year". We're going to drop down a few league positions no matter what, but if we're going to end up with a net spend of something like -£30m whilst teams like Palace and Bournemouth are spending £50m+, this could end up being embarrassing.

Hopefully this is all knee-jerk as we don't know Puel's plans yet and it is still hard to make deals with players on holiday/at the Euros, but all these articles stating that he's "happy with the squad" are starting to worry me slightl.

They can say they intend to buy players for 8-12m all they like, inflation thanks to this tv deal means many players that would have been in that price range last year will now be nearer 15-18m.

troy deeney is arguably sub shane long standard and watford have rejected bids of more than that.

troy deeney is arguably sub shane long standard and watford have rejected bids of more than that.

We will most likely buy from the continent or championship where prices aren't ridiculous to the degree they are for PL players.

I've never been worried about us selling players because we always replace them well. However, if this is the year that we're going to decide to stop doing that and rely on our youth instead, who seem to be lacking in quality, this could be the "failure year". We're going to drop down a few league positions no matter what, but if we're going to end up with a net spend of something like -£30m whilst teams like Palace and Bournemouth are spending £50m+, this could end up being embarrassing.

Hopefully this is all knee-jerk as we don't know Puel's plans yet and it is still hard to make deals with players on holiday/at the Euros, but all these articles stating that he's "happy with the squad" are starting to worry me slightl.

Obviously (if this is true) it can be construed as "Im happy and do not need any more players" but I prefer to take the viewpoint that being happy with the squad he currently has is a really good thing because it shows that even though we have lost some quality and recruited a bit overall we are still strong. I would be absolutely stunned if we did not recruit at least 3 more decent quality players, specifically DM, AM and ST. Arguably we need a CB (but I thunk we will loan one) and a back up GK.

Somehow I can't help feeling that this debate has already taken place within the club and if they are going to rely on youth then presumably they have the same confidence in them delivering as they did in recruiting unknown quantities like Mane, Tadic, Clasie and Cedric. Untruth, I doubt they will rely totally on the youth and we will see one or maybe two new faces before the season starts.

I do love the way fans like spending other peoples money though - '£15m is nothing really....' '...having a net spend is embarrassing...'. Surely we've realised by now (e.g. Leicester) that spending power has very little to do with success. That said I do smile at the hypocrisy of demanding £30m for Mane and then complaining when all the other fees being quoted to us are similarly inflated. It's a crazy crazy world thats for sure. I almost want the financial bubble to burst so we can go back to how things were!

Somehow I can't help feeling that this debate has already taken place within the club and if they are going to rely on youth then presumably they have the same confidence in them delivering as they did in recruiting unknown quantities like Mane, Tadic, Clasie and Cedric. Untruth, I doubt they will rely totally on the youth and we will see one or maybe two new faces before the season starts.

I do love the way fans like spending other peoples money though - '£15m is nothing really....' '...having a net spend is embarrassing...'. Surely we've realised by now (e.g. Leicester) that spending power has very little to do with success. That said I do smile at the hypocrisy of demanding £30m for Mane and then complaining when all the other fees being quoted to us are similarly inflated. It's a crazy crazy world thats for sure. I almost want the financial bubble to burst so we can go back to how things were!

Even Leicester had a net spent of +£40m so I'm not sure where that's come from. You're also not taking into account the TV money all Premier League clubs are receiving this year, if we were to not have a + net spent this season it'd be almost ridiculous.

You can probably understand why Koeman got out when he did then, he thought the youth was sh1te and not up to PL standard now we are replacing the best players with them.

This would be a disaster surely there not silly enough to let this happen

You can probably understand why Koeman got out when he did then, he thought the youth was sh1te and not up to PL standard now we are replacing the best players with them.

Yes, this, nothing to do with the dollar offered... I mean #ambition

Even Leicester had a net spent of +£40m so I'm not sure where that's come from. You're also not taking into account the TV money all Premier League clubs are receiving this year, if we were to not have a + net spent this season it'd be almost ridiculous.

Apologies I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you. Just making the point that your thinking must surely be along the lines of discussions in the club. Despite a small minority suggesting people at there club are only interested in making money they are clearly wanting to do well on the domestic and Euro front. League and cups. So they want to get it right. I wasn't suggesting Leicester did not spend - just that it was fairly modest - as ours was - and neither of us did too badly.

You're right. I didnt dwell too much on the new TV money which frankly just seems obscene to me.

Wouldn't you just love him to be proved wrong though? ;-)

All the noises point to us not spending big this summer even though we've received a club record fee for Mane along with the money for Vic and Pelle (assuming he goes).

With a more competitive Premier League and extra games in the Europa league we needed to increase numbers yet the noises from within seem to suggest we aren't going to do that. Absolute madness in my mind, could all go wrong this year I think.

All the noises point to us not spending big this summer even though we've received a club record fee for Mane along with the money for Vic and Pelle (assuming he goes).

With a more competitive Premier League and extra games in the Europa league we needed to increase numbers yet the noises from within seem to suggest we aren't going to do that. Absolute madness in my mind, could all go wrong this year I think.

It's the start of July. The Euros aren't over. Bed wetting comes to mind.

It's the start of July. The Euros aren't over. Bed wetting comes to mind.

Yep, with nigh on 2 months of the transfer window to go and already a signing behind us, we should throw in the towel.

I'll take 17th personally. #dalek

Looks like a relegation scrap on the way.

Surely this is simply the club playing their cards close to their chest. The other extreme is the Everton strategy of telling everyone that you've got huge piles of cash to spend and its got to be more sensible for the club to keep its plans to itself and not end up being fleeced by the clubs we buy from.

That is always assuming there is some veracity to the article and it isn't just the Echo putting 2 and 2 together to fill some column inches.

Maybe people could for once wait until August to ***** and moan about lack of ambition and relegation and oh I wish we were West Ham or Crystal Palace spunking £100m up the wall on "names" for the sake of it who are ancient and don't fit our system