Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

But isn't that the same as a loss-leader? Losing short term but gaining long term. I read somewhere the Southampton is the 6th largest UK conurbation so, theoretically, we have the mass of potential ticket purchasers.

So we add 10k seats but only add 5k spectators, for now, but there are times when we will sell out.

However, I would imagine SFCs business forecasters have all this well considered - in them we trust.

They have considered all of that. We won't "loss leading" by spending millions and millions of pounds on seats we then need to slash prices to sell.

This. The delta between 12k, 23k or 38k is totally negligible to football clubs now. Below 12k you are in the bottom bracket. Over 50k in the top. We aren't going to put c20k seats on so not much point doing it.

Let's reduce capacity and save costs.

I'd like us to expand and a bit surprised we haven't, but the demand isn't quite there, no waiting lists for season tickets or anything like that.

Our summer policy of selling might not help a bit either, but most season ticket sales are done by early June anyway I think.

All f4rt and no sh1t at the moment on the incomings front' date=' as far as I'm aware.[/quote']

Be careful - the PC brigade will be along chastising you for even contemplating there's even a whiff of lack of ambition. Not long now and some bright spark will be along to remind you that there's still a lifetime before the end of the window and there's no need to panic etc. etc.

WTF are you going on about stadium capacity on a thread that's got fk all to do with it?

As I understand it the original reason this whole discussion took off came out of the worry expressed by some that we might not be spending on new player acquisitions using the money from the sales of Mane and Wanyama, the potential sale of Pelle and the extra TV rights money. While some started to hint that maybe KL could pocket some profit from the club, Daft Kerplunk put forward the suggestion that maybe the club were thinking about investing the money in stadium development. This then descended into an argument between him and CB Fry about why the club might consider doing something like that.

Personally I don't think it is beyond the bounds of possibility that the club could consider doing something like this, despite some strong arguments against such an approach. Nevertheless, as some have rightly pointed out, it is a discussion for another thread. I would start one myself, but I'm more interested to hear the latest rumours about potential player purchases and anyway I'm only a 'Registered User' so I only get a maximum of three posts a day! :)

Getting back on track, therefore, my biggest concern is that we replace Wanyama. While we have got Clasie, Romeu and Ward-Prowse plus Harry Reed who can all play in the defensive midfield positions, none of them quite brings the same attributes as either Schneiderlin or Wanyama and so I believe we need to strengthen in those positions.

In terms of attacking players I would love to see a Mane replacment, but I am aware that we have got a lot of attacking players on the books: Pelle, Long, Rodriguez, Austin, Tadic, Redmond, Gallagher, Isgrove, Olomola, Barnes, Seager, Willard, McQueen, Sims. OK, most of those are youngsters but it does show the full list of the first team and development squads' strikers.

I wonder if the club is more confident than we are that Rodriguez and Austin will successfully keep going without further injury this season (at least injury that is a direct result of former injuries). I'm sure we will see in time. :)

So it isn't "up to the next owners to invest in infrastructure", then. It's up to our current owners who have invested boatloads in infrastructure.

Reading your other posts it looks like you have strolled down the usual routine of let's spend millions on stadium expansion only to slash the price of tickets. Brilliant. What a big thinker you are.

Snooze. You are a bore. stick me on ignore if you can't handle a different point of view darling.

Oh, and check out the German model for ticket prices, investing in stadia. There's a working example of it for you from the masters of how to be a strategic economy. But maybe you just cannot see that far. I tried to be polite but unfortunately with your big keyboard willy, you had to swing it about. There's clever people like you so take a look outside into the big wide world for some genuine real life examples of the successful models I'm mentioning and stop acting like a know it all who knows only what is inside his tiny sphere of knowledge.

Edited by Daft Kerplunk

Snooze. You are a bore. stick me on ignore if you can't handle a different point of view darling.

Oh, and check out the German model for ticket prices, investing in stadia. There's a working example of it for you from the masters of how to be a strategic economy. But maybe you just cannot see that far. I tried to be polite but unfortunately with your big keyboard willy, you had to swing it about. There's clever people like you so take a look outside into the big wide world for some genuine real life examples of the successful models I'm mentioning and stop acting like a know it all who knows only what is inside his tiny sphere of knowledge.

Well done for going through the bingo card of stadium expansion obviousness - you've not quite got to "dynamic pricing" yet, maybe mention easyjet or something. Always 100 forum gold coins for mentioning Germany though.

In other news, despite what some bloke hammers into a post on a Web forum, the management of SFC are not expanding the stadium any time soon. Dey've got such a tiny sphere of knowledge ain't dey?

Well done for going through the bingo card of stadium expansion obviousness - you've not quite got to "dynamic pricing" yet, maybe mention easyjet or something. Always 100 forum gold coins for mentioning Germany though.

In other news, despite what some bloke hammers into a post on a Web forum, the management of SFC are not expanding the stadium any time soon. Dey've got such a tiny sphere of knowledge ain't dey?

You don't know that though do you ;) maybe just maybe.

You don't know everything, and neither do I. But I never claim to, and that is what makes us different. You know as much as I do which is very little but I'm comfortable with that. How about you? Can we agree on that at the end of it all?

You don't know that though do you ;) maybe just maybe.

You don't know everything, and neither do I. But I never claim to, and that is what makes us different. You know as much as I do which is very little but I'm comfortable with that. How about you? Can we agree on that at the end of it all?

“I think when we go through a full season with 100 per cent occupancy then you can have those conversations,” he [Krueger] said.

Not blathering on about restaurant chains or Germany or slashing prices or merchandise sales or think-of-the-children-what-can't-afford-it or speculate to accumulate or big thinking or any of the usual boll ocks that comes out.

Season ticket waiting list. Full occupancy. Then it's probably a maybe. But the likelihood it we won't get to that. We make more money and generate more absolute attendance by sticking in three more guaranteed home games by qualifying for Europa. That should be the focus, not horsesh it money pit vanity projects.

Anyway, I imagine all of this rubbish will be removed from this thread which I believe is here for me to point and laugh at hysterical lunatics crying about lack of signings before Wimbledon has even finished.

I know there has been some discussion about Pelle's impending departure but I don't know if this has been posted. If this article is to be believed, evidently he is off to a Chinese club rather than an English or European club.

Oops - forgot the link: http://the4thofficial.net/2016/07/profitable-but-replacement-needed-southamptons-decision-to-let-go-of-star-might-be-a-good-move

What we know (if the telegraph is to be believed):

Austin is the Pelle Replacement

Redmond is the Mane replacement

We are after a Vic replacement

Speculatively:

We are short on GK - unless Watson thinks Gazza is sufficiently improved, and even then we may be short.

If we were to announce the signing of a right back from the Euro 2016 finalists most people would be happy. Cedric will be deemed good enough and Martina is cover.

Centre back is well covered. Fonte, VVD, Gardos, Maya

Left back, Bertrand and Targett as cover.

MF - plenty of cover. Clasie, Romeu, Reed, JWP, Davis,

Forwards - Perm three from Tadic, Redmond, Austin, JRod, Shlong

Add to that the focus on promoting youth.

In fact I suspect we will sign one or two more, particularly if the right player becomes available at the right price. I suspect we will sign a young striker -21/22 in our normal shopping price range, and maybe a Number 10 type player at a similar price to give options.

Obviously (if this is true) it can be construed as "Im happy and do not need any more players" but I prefer to take the viewpoint that being happy with the squad he currently has is a really good thing because it shows that even though we have lost some quality and recruited a bit overall we are still strong. I would be absolutely stunned if we did not recruit at least 3 more decent quality players, specifically DM, AM and ST. Arguably we need a CB (but I thunk we will loan one) and a back up GK.

I seem to remember that Rupert Lowe said that he thought that the squad going into our relegation season was the best we had ever had.....that worked well....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've read that Telegraph piece and it does not say that Redmond is our Mane replacement, it is just a sentence summary of our main business so far.

It specifically says Austin is the Pelle replacement (which was very obvious to some of us in January) but does not do that with Redmond.

I've read that Telegraph piece and it does not say that Redmond is our Mane replacement, it is just a sentence summary of our main business so far.

It specifically says Austin is the Pelle replacement (which was very obvious to some of us in January) but does not do that with Redmond.

Austin, Long, Rodriguez with A N Other would be fine (hopefully)

Just hope the club bring in obviously quality for Vic and Mane.

Chamberlain would be my ideal signing. We shall see

Austin, Long, Rodriguez with A N Other would be fine (hopefully)

Just hope the club bring in obviously quality for Vic and Mane.

Chamberlain would be my ideal signing. We shall see

In the summer of meltdown we signed Mane out of nowhere on deadline day, and also Toby the same day despite Koeman saying repeatedly we weren't after any additional defenders.

We're building a Europa League squad, we'll get it done. AOC would be nice but feels unlikely.

In the summer of meltdown we signed Mane out of nowhere on deadline day, and also Toby the same day despite Koeman saying repeatedly we weren't after any additional defenders.

We're building a Europa League squad, we'll get it done. AOC would be nice but feels unlikely.

Is deadline day or after the season starts (like VVD) a bit late? We seem to be happy to give of rivals our players prior to pre season so they get a full one with their new team? If the black box knows who we want why can't we get them in sooner? It would also ease the meltdown talk?

The suggestion is that we were after bouffal (sp?) and that deal was likely to be around €30m

Having abandoned that deal due to the player's lack of enthusiasm, it seems unlikely we're planning to come out of this transfer window without a Mané replacement.

Some key players have been signed up to improved contracts. It will have been common knowledge within the squad which players were leaving. Those signed up to improved contracts would not have done so if replacements for those leaving were to be academy graduates. Those signing up will have wanted, and will have been given, comfort if not assurances on replacement signings.

Replacement signings are quite compatible with integrating more of the academy players. After all, the club has made a significant long term investment in the acdamy. Given the number of matches this year, there will be opportunities for these players, I suspect principally in cup competitions and appearances from the bench.

The club has money, it has time and it has choices.

The suggestion is that we were after bouffal (sp?) and that deal was likely to be around €30m

Having abandoned that deal due to the player's lack of enthusiasm, it seems unlikely we're planning to come out of this transfer window without a Mané replacement.

I thought the reports said that Puel wasn't interested in him. Obviously that doesn't fit the meltdown narrative.

And, just checked, it's still 9th July.

I thought the reports said that Puel wasn't interested in him. Obviously that doesn't fit the meltdown narrative.

And, just checked, it's still 9th July.

Boufal wasn't keen to commit so we moved on, understandably.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/07/07/claude-puel-wont-wait-for-reluctant-target-southampton-assess-other-options/293937/

The club have known for a year that Wanyama and Mane were going this summer so seems farfetched that they would not have plans in place.

As you say, it is early. But would have also been nice to get people in for the bulk of pre season.

This. The delta between 12k, 23k or 38k is totally negligible to football clubs now. Below 12k you are in the bottom bracket. Over 50k in the top. We aren't going to put c20k seats on so not much point doing it.

The problem is, one day the tv monies will not be there.

The clubs that have expanded will then have a colossal advantage. Personally think should look to expand (even if to only 40-45k) as it will future proof the club to a degree. Far to easy to slip back into the Sheffield united and Coventry bracket with only a 32k stadium. Times have moved on now, when we had the dell, old trafford was 55k and was far and above the biggest ground. Now west ham, man city, tottenham, chelsea, newcastle, united etc are all in and around, or above, that bracket.

Not only that, but the more kids saints get coming to the ground is important for the future. They will be future players, future fans and the lifeblood of the club for years to come.

The clubs that have expanded will then have a colossal advantage. Personally think should look to expand (even if to only 40-45k) as it will future proof the club to a degree. Far to easy to slip back into the Sheffield united and Coventry bracket with only a 32k stadium. Times have moved on now, when we had the dell, old trafford was 55k and was far and above the biggest ground. Now west ham, man city, tottenham, chelsea, newcastle, united etc are all in and around, or above, that bracket.

Not only that, but the more kids saints get coming to the ground is important for the future. They will be future players, future fans and the lifeblood of the club for years to come.

Empty seats don't generate revenue though. We could have a 60k stadium but would still have crowds of 30 something thousand.

Empty seats don't generate revenue though. We could have a 60k stadium but would still have crowds of 30 something thousand.

but we wont, will we

a bigger stadium will see far greater number of fans come through the doors over the whole of a season.

This is a false argument. if the TV money goes ti ts up then that will be because interest in the league will have collapsed so attendances and demand for tickets will then be down. Having a stadium fit for purpose then is advantage, not being burdened with a huge capacity mega dome we can't fill because all the big name players have buggered off to Spain or China or the USA.

If we have known for a year that Mane & Wanyama were leaving early doors in the window,why have we not got the replacements in already?

We apparently bought Austin in Jan because we knew Pelle was off,yet we still have not replaced these two,you would think the club would of identified and singled out who they want and bought them as soon as the window opened so we can get them in and integrate them to the team asap.

I know its 5 weeks to the start of the season but why wait when you have the money and time to do it now ?

Unless the club have already missed the targets or we are really going to try and promote youth

Boufal wasn't keen to commit so we moved on, understandably.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/07/07/claude-puel-wont-wait-for-reluctant-target-southampton-assess-other-options/293937/

The club have known for a year that Wanyama and Mane were going this summer so seems farfetched that they would not have plans in place.

As you say, it is early. But would have also been nice to get people in for the bulk of pre season.

There has been a narrative from the Club in the past few windows of getting transfer dealings (in and out) done "early". Notwithstanding dear old Ronald leaving, our business "in" looks to be rather later than earlier with a worrying suspicion that Redmond is Mane's replacement.

We did build it and they have come in numbers matched almost perfectly to the size of the stadium and demand for season tickets.

Expand and then be sensible with ticket prices to fill it. Long term, great strategy, short term, more match day revenue.

Its not even that expensive to expand.

Expand and then be sensible with ticket prices to fill it. Long term, great strategy, short term, more match day revenue.

Its not even that expensive to expand.

If we need additional seats why do we need to reduce prices (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "be sensible")?

And if we are reducing prices why would that create "more match day revenue"?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14608031.Pelle_set_to_quit_Saints_for_China/?ref=twtrec

Piece on Pelle suggests Puel feels the squad is already good and at least right now, does not plan on a huge number of transfers. A replacement for Wanyama and a RB are the priorities. Austin was the Pelle replacement and With Seager (who I thought had messed up his knee) and maybe Gallagher to provide back up to Long, Rodriguez and Austin.

So, cashing in on Pelle with no replacement, and relying on 2 unfit strikers to fill the gap. A bit baffling given that we have more games to play this season.

Maybe Koeman had a point in terms of lack of ambition after all then?