Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Youth speak (so my students tell me) for somebody who is weak, moans and gives up at the first sign of trouble. The very definition of a number of posters on this site, it would appear.....

So in the fact that the nation's "jeunesse" have been released from their seats of scholastic study for the summer might then well answer the original question.

Unfortunately what we are seeing here with all the melts is just what we see in the world generally!......People love bad news, they flock towards it. Watch the news every night and the majority of it is bad news, read the papers and again the main headlines are always slanted towards bad news....its the general human condition.

No one on this forum has the slightest idea what Puel wants or what the club might be doing BUT one piece of negative paper reporting and a large number of our forum turn into wrist slashers.

It's sad that so many people are automatically conditioned to be pessemistic.

So in the fact that the nation's "jeunesse" have been released from their seats of scholastic study for the summer might then well answer the original question.

I was using youth vernacular, although your post might suggest I might be a youth which while I would love to be, is sadly not the case. I have kids that are youths so maybe that is an influence in this.

I also thought it a more polite term than pussies

So, cashing in on Pelle with no replacement, and relying on 2 unfit strikers to fill the gap. A bit baffling given that we have more games to play this season.

Maybe Koeman had a point in terms of lack of ambition after all then?

The article you've referred to clearly stated that Austin was signed in January as Pelle's replacement. Is Austin now equivalent to no replacement ?

I distinctly remember the bedwetters insisting that we had to sign Austin in January as Pelle was injured and Austin was a brilliant goalscorer which was just what we needed if we were going to show some ambition. Now we've got him it's time to look for the next silver bullet apparently.

The reality is that neither Pelle nor Austin are our number one striker at the moment anyhow. It's got to be Shane Long who seems to be getting better with each game. I think a list of Austin, JRod, Seager and Gallagher as backup is looking pretty good myself and getting 13 million for Pelle ought to be snapped up.

I was using youth vernacular, although your post might suggest I might be a youth which while I would love to be, is sadly not the case. I have kids that are youths so maybe that is an influence in this.

I also thought it a more polite term than pussies

No I don't think I suggested that you are the yoof, it often happens though that a different kind of poster crops up during school and Uni vacations. That's OK as long as they're not all CM afficionados who know everything about football because they spend 80% of their time on video football games. Fortunately we don't seem to have as many onboard as certain forums, when you look at other transfer suggestion threads all you can see are CM2016 type projections. However those games do give some an altered vision of reality. If you can sign Pogba and Griezmann on CM why can't the club you actually "support" do it.

Anyone who expresses an opinion different from know-it-all Internet forum posters who can't accept other points of view from their own?

Some of us are amateurs and put faith in the club's professional employees to get recruitment correctly organized.

As an aside, why is it often those with Saint in their name that are the melts?

I think a list of Austin, JRod, Seager and Gallagher as backup is looking pretty good myself and getting 13 million for Pelle ought to be snapped up.

On paper that may be good backup, but we have seen nothing of J-rod to suggest that he will go back to the way he was,he looked broken every time I saw him last season.

Austin has also scored a lot in the prem,however he can't seem to shake them niggling injury's

Seager is out long term and Gallagher still doesn't look ready for the prem.

The optimist in me hopes that J-Rod & Austin score 25 goals between them, but the pessimist in me says they wont play 25 games between them.

I hope we see the best out of them

It seems that anyone who doesn't follow Sir Les like a sheep is going to get called a melt or a bedwetter by the sheep. To be honest, the extent to which he has bitterly divided the fanbase and got us turning against each other is a cause for concern.

Oh do **** off.

The article you've referred to clearly stated that Austin was signed in January as Pelle's replacement. Is Austin now equivalent to no replacement ?

I distinctly remember the bedwetters insisting that we had to sign Austin in January as Pelle was injured and Austin was a brilliant goalscorer which was just what we needed if we were going to show some ambition. Now we've got him it's time to look for the next silver bullet apparently.

The reality is that neither Pelle nor Austin are our number one striker at the moment anyhow. It's got to be Shane Long who seems to be getting better with each game. I think a list of Austin, JRod, Seager and Gallagher as backup is looking pretty good myself and getting 13 million for Pelle ought to be snapped up.

Austin was a good signing at £4m but has done precious little since January to have confidence that he will prove an adequate replacement for the contribution that Pelle has given us in the last 2 seasons. He is also a different kind of player who does not link up the team in the way Pelle showed again that he can still do with Italy.

I really hope that Austin and Jay get their fitness back and make a real contribution this season, as that is obviously what the club are relying on. Just think this is a gamble given the extra games we will be involved in. Sorry if that makes me a "melt" to those who can't seem to participate in a reasoned discussion.

Austin was a good signing at £4m but has done precious little since January to have confidence that he will prove an adequate replacement for the contribution that Pelle has given us in the last 2 seasons. He is also a different kind of player who does not link up the team in the way Pelle showed again that he can still do with Italy.

I really hope that Austin and Jay get their fitness back and make a real contribution this season, as that is obviously what the club are relying on. Just think this is a gamble given the extra games we will be involved in. Sorry if that makes me a "melt" to those who can't seem to participate in a reasoned discussion.

Should imagine the club are hopeful Jrod will be back to his best. would fetch a big fee after a very good season

Pangy do you not think that the club's medical department has been consulted about JRod and Austin? We might not have seen much of them, but the club surely knows what it is doing.

Yeah of course,however I am both a optimist and pessimist, maybe they do know what they are doing and there is no risk of any repeat of the injuries....Maybe there is a 50/50 of it happening but the club think if they can get them firing like they have been known then they can sell on for a massive fee.

We are all aware now that nobody is sacred to saints and every player has a price,these 2 are English strikers that will carry the highest premium in a transfer if the club can get them scoring 15-20 goals a season and you could be looking at £50m for the pair

And some classic examples of the latter quickly followed.

Noric we are all still supporters of SFC, well as least I think we are. But you and others are continually questioning the professional competence of the club and its employees, and over the past 5 or so years, there just isn't any evidence that the club have done a bad job. Now I suspect we aren't going to improve this year, but I do hope we are not going to be inundated by naysayers saying "I told you so".

I'd say more worrying is the fact Redmond is the Mane replacement.

We should be signing 3-4 quality players that improve the first team squad, at the moment the squad is much worse than it was last year, we have more games to play and everyone else is improving. Hard not to feel negative in light of that, expecting any improvement this year seems a stretch when two of our best players have been sold (one unnecessarily) and we aren't looking to improve the quality of the team. Looks like we are just cashing in.

Agreed. I'm not worried at all about Austin being Pelle's replacement because we saw what he could do at QPR and he just had an unfortunate few months of being injured. However relying on Rodriguez to be a vital squad player is a bit of a worry considering how woeful he looked whenever he featured last year, hopefully he can benefit with a full pre-season.

Redmond being the Mane replacement would be dreadful though, not to undermine his ability but somebody like Boufal would really have made a statement and got the fans on board.

I'd say more worrying is the fact Redmond is the Mane replacement.

We should be signing 3-4 quality players that improve the first team squad, at the moment the squad is much worse than it was last year, we have more games to play and everyone else is improving. Hard not to feel negative in light of that, expecting any improvement this year seems a stretch when two of our best players have been sold (one unnecessarily) and we aren't looking to improve the quality of the team. Looks like we are just cashing in.

Is this a fact?

Noric we are all still supporters of SFC, well as least I think we are. But you and others are continually questioning the professional competence of the club and its employees, and over the past 5 or so years, there just isn't any evidence that the club have done a bad job. Now I suspect we aren't going to improve this year, but I do hope we are not going to be inundated by naysayers saying "I told you so".

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion or it is pointless being on here, or perhaps you are happy to post on a forum full of robots.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion or it is pointless being on here, or perhaps you are happy to post on a forum full of robots.

Of course. But people are basing their opinions on the fact that the board don't know what they are doing. What is the point of having an opinion based on erroneous preconceptions added to some bizarre assumptions that people have. But yes, of course people are entitled to those as well, but it is really tedious when amateurs slag off professionals in their field when all past evidence of said examples of them not knowing what they are doing has been so far wide of the mark, that is makes continued slagging off very tiresome. Would be far better to stick to facts rather than indulge in fantasy.

Youth speak (so my students tell me) for somebody who is weak, moans and gives up at the first sign of trouble. The very definition of a number of posters on this site, it would appear.....

The whole meltdown talk on here is ridiculous. It's a forum. People give opinions, concerns etc on the club and why shouldn't they? Maybe the mod's should add a section for fans who can express their thoughts and concerns without people replying with insults. What makes me laugh is that if we were all in a pub, and one of us said "I'm concerned that we've not signed anyone yet to replace xxxx', no one would reply with "oh boo hoo you big baby, have a meltdown you pathetic cretin" etc etc. You'd nod your head and have a reasoned discussion. At least every human I've chatted to in my 40 years has anyway. I just don't get it. We care and take interest in what the club does/doesn't do. Isn't this the whole point of a forum?

Of course. But people are basing their opinions on the fact that the board don't know what they are doing. What is the point of having an opinion based on erroneous preconceptions added to some bizarre assumptions that people have. But yes, of course people are entitled to those as well, but it is really tedious when amateurs slag off professionals in their field when all past evidence of said examples of them not knowing what they are doing has been so far wide of the mark, that is makes continued slagging off very tiresome. Would be far better to stick to facts rather than indulge in fantasy.

Lol the Aston Villa board were als professionals and they did a good job!

For our board the facts are: appointed 1 successful manager, improved on the league position 2 years running, invested heavily in the academy, invested in the squad with a number of high quality and not cheap (8-12 million) players. They have increased commercial revenue.

The negatives, they have sold a lot of high profile players, they have allowed the club to become a selling club in the perception of everyone, they have not held onto players or managers they wanted too at best agreeing one more year then lettin them go. Staff (Mitchell) have joined the brain drain. There has been no investments the squad other than that bought in through sales.

For me the questions still to be answered are: did they or Keoman sign Pelle, Tadic mane, VVD, Clasie, etc...did RK over achieve or is it the club ethos which go us to sixth, did RK Achieve through ignoring the club ethos and not playing young players? Did the club choose a cheap option with Puel or is he really the first choice? If the black box is so good why does it seem to suggest players who the manager knows? Why are Les and Ralph the only people in the world who can do what we do, so much so he manager changing every two years is irrelevant? How are they right and everyone else wrong(those buying our cast offs at top dollar for example).

I suppose a lot will be answered this year. If Puel plays youngsters, and we are successful then the board are bang on and beyond any recriminations.

Edited by Saint-Fred

I am afraid that most people would disagree that Villa had a board and owner that acted in a professional manner. Maybe that is harsh on the board as they took instruction from the owner.

As for the board appointing one good manager, which one are you starting with? Adkins?

Edited by angelman

It was not long ago people were talking about how well Newcastle were being run signing cheap French players and selling them for big profit. We have managed to improve after two difficult summers; does not mean we will always get better. I really don't think people can be knocked for being concerned that we will be able to consistently replace good players (and managers) with cheaper alternatives.

No I don't think I suggested that you are the yoof, it often happens though that a different kind of poster crops up during school and Uni vacations. That's OK as long as they're not all CM afficionados who know everything about football because they spend 80% of their time on video football games. Fortunately we don't seem to have as many onboard as certain forums, when you look at other transfer suggestion threads all you can see are CM2016 type projections. However those games do give some an altered vision of reality. B]If you can sign Pogba and Griezmann on CM why can't the club you actually "support" do it.[/b]

You have no idea how prevalent this perception is.

CM has either skewed or totally removed some people's sense of reality, but never mind, E-sports are becoming an increasingly important part of our sporting life.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rich-taylor/rise-of-esports-is-a-game_b_6784174.html

These events attract huge crowds to the venues, in addition to audiences of millions online. The rewards for the professional gamers are huge, with a recent gaming championships coughing up a $2m prize fund.

Without wishing to stereotype gamers, the sponsors which plough huge sums into it are those you might expect of armchair sportsmen, such as Coca Cola.

And it somehow sums things up when football's governing body decides to get in on the act.

http://www.fifa.com/interactiveworldcup/

Although the BBC is asking whether professional gaming is a sport, http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zygq2hv contacts in BBC Sport tell me they are geearing up to cover it as a sport, although that may be prompted because they have been financially hamstrung out of an ability to cover mainstream sports.

Still, as this thread is about summer transfer targets, don't be surprised if some of these turn up on this thread with demands we sign them.

http://usvsth3m.com/post/54920294470/11-legendary-championship-manager-players-whose

Lol the Aston Villa board were als professionals and they did a good job!

For our board the facts are: appointed 1 successful manager, improved on the league position 2 years running, invested heavily in the academy, invested in the squad with a number of high quality and not cheap (8-12 million) players. They have increased commercial revenue.

The negatives, they have sold a lot of high profile players, they have allowed the club to become a selling club in the perception of everyone, they have not held onto players or managers they wanted too at best agreeing one more year then lettin them go. Staff (Mitchell) have joined the brain drain. There has been no investments the squad other than that bought in through sales.

For me the questions still to be answered are: did they or Keoman sign Pelle, Tadic mane, VVD, Clasie, etc...did RK over achieve or is it the club ethos which go us to sixth, did RK Achieve through ignoring the club ethos and not playing young players? Did the club choose a cheap option with Puel or is he really the first choice? If the black box is so good why does it seem to suggest players who the manager knows? Why are Les and Ralph the only people in the world who can do what we do, so much so he manager changing every two years is irrelevant? How are they right and everyone else wrong(those buying our cast offs at top dollar for example).

I suppose a lot will be answered this year. If Puel plays youngsters, and we are successful then the board are bang on and beyond any recriminations.

Christ almighty.

So, cashing in on Pelle with no replacement, and relying on 2 unfit strikers to fill the gap. A bit baffling given that we have more games to play this season.

Maybe Koeman had a point in terms of lack of ambition after all then?

Please show me the quotes from Koeman about our lack of ambition. Thought not.

Seriously, WTF do some of you folks expect?

Losing Pelle will significantly change the way we play, so why the preoccupation with a "Mané replacement"? For all his skill and lightning pace, there were times when Mané destroyed our tactical structure because nobody (including him) knew where he was going next.

Likewise with Wanyama. It's easy to remember the powerhouse DM but forget the misplaced passes, needless red cards, frequent lack of awareness, and tendency to lose his mark on the edge of our box.

We've lost some good players but they certainly weren't without their faults.

Do people want us to buy replacements before Puel has had a chance to properly assess his squad - not just individual players but how they fit together? His balls are on the line here and he needs time to do it. Would people rather that we make hurried buys and hope the players complement eachother and fit into his style of play?

We could only make 6th in the PL with a lot of people at the Club knowing what they're doing, and doing it very well. I'm quite happy to back off and let them do it again. Make that yet again.

Losing Pelle will significantly change the way we play, so why the preoccupation with a "Mané replacement"? For all his skill and lightning pace, there were times when Mané destroyed our tactical structure because nobody (including him) knew where he was going next.

Likewise with Wanyama. It's easy to remember the powerhouse DM but forget the misplaced passes, needless red cards, frequent lack of awareness, and tendency to lose his mark on the edge of our box.

Do people want us to buy replacements before Puel has had a chance to properly assess his squad - not just individual players but how they fit together? His balls are on the line here and he needs time to do it. Would people rather that we make hurried buys and hope the players complement eachother and fit into his style of play?

We could only make 6th in the PL with a lot of people at the Club knowing what they're doing, and doing it very well. I'm quite happy to back off and let them do it again. Make that yet again.

Here here !!!!

Here here!

Yes, because we might well play a tactical formation that wouldn't be enhanced by a physically dominant defensive midfielder or an attacker with unpredictability and pace.

video football games.

Love it. I'm going to call them video football games too now.

"People like you". Exactly my point. We used to all be Saints fans together. I have never known us so bitterly divided.

Bring back Cortese, nobody ever had a problem with his management style. Maybe.

Edited by Plastic

Well said sir.

I wish we could transfer some of our fans to teams like West Brom or Sunderland - then they could really see what a lack of ambition looks like.

No other team/club has had anything like the growth and development that we have over the last 7 years. The club's stated aim for next year is to improve on this year. Also to be playing regular European football and get into the CL. What more do some people want ffs???!! Ambition is not spunking stupid amounts of money on over-hyped players.

from the ugly inside.

I am told that two French signings are at the final stages one is over the line and the other still has work to be done as we are having to compete with a London premiership team for the other , no names yet but both should be announced in the next 10 days with one possible early next week. Vague I know but at least we know that there is some action !! Coming soon.

Theres passion in what you say .....nice to hear it all the way from Canada

It seems that anyone who doesn't follow Sir Les like a sheep is going to get called a melt or a bedwetter by the sheep. To be honest, the extent to which he has bitterly divided the fanbase and got us turning against each other is a cause for concern.[/QUOTE]

I think that the highlighted phrase shows an unreal lack of understanding of life beyond forums...I've been going to matches for over 50 years and in the real world beyond these and similar pages there's no division!!!

There's not even much discussion about him!! What there is, usually concerning signings and appointments has been largely positive because by and large he's got more right than wrong!

Please get out more...the odd match maybe?