Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Lyall Thomas ‏@SkySportsLyall

Some interesting quotes from Sam Allardyce on the current transfer market that explains difficulty that all Prem clubs are going through...

"Problem is that everybody thinks the money makes things easier, but it’s actually made things more difficult, because we all have same....

"...money and everybody else has got so much more expensive. The same player last year that cost £10m will now cost £20m, and the £20m..."

"...one will now cost £35m or £40m, and the £40m one now costs £60m or £80m. We're working as shrewdly as poss to get best players we can."

Hojbjerg Was a name out of. The blue , I am sure we have targets and signing to come. The saints way is to do talking in private, The players that have left would have gone this summer with or without Koeman,

keep the faith more signings before end of August.

This.

I'm thinking we won't hear about our next signings until they are pretty much complete like this one.

We need a Mane replacement and hopefully they will get a No.10, and we need a back up GK, plus we might see a RB as well, 4 more players in? who knows but that would be an excellent summer.

It's funny how right up until the last minute nobody knew anything about this deal, yet there are three ITK claiming deals are going on. It's almost like fake links are put out there to distract them from the real deal that is happening! Love it!!

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14612397.Claude_is_not_finished_yet/

A right back and another player who can fit into the attacking style Puel wants to play (a Mane replacement I guess) are the top transfer priorities now.

& a goalkeeper, perhaps?

Would assume the attacker is a No.10 type, or possibly left winger.

I would have thought Cedric's performances at the Euro's meant that he would likely be our 1st choice right back for this season?

To me it reads as he wants a RB who can fit into the attacking style, rather than talking about two players.

Honestly hope that doesn't spell the end for Cédric. Feel if we can't give him a starting XI place he will look to move, which is fair enough, his stock is high at the moment and he could probably name his next club (figuratively)

Honestly hope that doesn't spell the end for Cédric. Feel if we can't give him a starting XI place he will look to move, which is fair enough, his stock is high at the moment and he could probably name his next club (figuratively)

Might be more that Martina isnt viewed as an attacking full back, but more of a defensive one. He also is in the last year of his contract and perhaps isn't seen as a long term Saints player.

I'd say we are looking to have 2 quality players in all positions. Martina was very much a Koeman signing, I suspect it's Martinas replacement.

We have Targett & Bertrand at left back, we will have Cedric & "new bloke" at right back. Martina will be 3rd choice cover for all those positions.

We are guaranteed 46 games next year, with a cup run we could be looking at 50+ games.

Ziyech too

I don't know much about Ziyech, but it sounds like he could be a great purchase, for a reasonable amount of money too. Given how many people on here have touted his name, I can't believe that the club radar would have missed him, so have to have faith that there is a good reason if we don't go for him!

Agree that Sigurdsson would be a brilliant signing. Would also seem a good fit for him, but for some reason I just can't see it happening.

No.10 and a pacy wide player for me are a must.

Squad is currently weaker than what it was last year and as people have mentioned we are down a lot of premier league goals from last year.

Chamberlain would be immense, so would Sigurdsson, but knowing the club we won't know the player until he has signed. Though it's all gone quiet on transfer rumours for Chamberlain so maybe, just maybe some quiet negotiations are going in the background.

I got a feeling we are talking to boufal .....would be a superb signing has immense talent and the type of player to get you of your seat everytime he is on the ball , would benefit from moving to Saints . Can change a game on his own , bit like when we in for Coutinho at the start we could get gazzumped here

Gylfi Sigurðsson would be an incredibly smart buy IMO. One area we have really struggled with in recent times is a No. 10, for whatever reason it never quite seems to work out for whoever we bring in. Sigurðsson is proven quality. Would love to sign him

Gylfi Sigurðsson would be an incredibly smart buy IMO. One area we have really struggled with in recent times is a No. 10, for whatever reason it never quite seems to work out for whoever we bring in. Sigurðsson is proven quality. Would love to sign him

4 years left on his Swansea deal (I think). You'd think they'd ask for upwards of £30m+ for him, which we're never going to play. Our chance to sign him was when he left Spurs, but we didn't.

4 years left on his Swansea deal (I think). You'd think they'd ask for upwards of £30m+ for him, which we're never going to play. Our chance to sign him was when he left Spurs, but we didn't.

2 years. 20 odd million I would guess. In our reach. Your attitude to choices and chances is very fixed, once made or passed that's it according to you. Strange approach but you're entitled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad somebody else has said that about Gylfi. He's brilliant and would be fantastic in the No.10 role, but does anyone think we would be able to afford him?!

We absolutely should have been in for him when he left Spurs.

as good as a new signing that. I thought Liverpool would come knocking again. If anyone does now it will cost them.

Yeah great signing. He seems genuinely happy to be here. He's done the so called big club and you would think he's realised it can't get much more secure than playing for us. Instead of feeling nervous every summer that players will leave because they only have a year or two left we have some relative security with lots of key players and any more additions. Exciting times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't see why we'd prioritise a RB. Cedric was improving, all players need time to adapt to the premier league. Let's be honest, he'd done better adapting than far more expensive players like Mangala, Otadmendi, probably Rojo and some others. I don't know why he got dropped when he needed more time. He was excellent for Portugal and we'd be excited if we signed him now.

Half expecting a big bid for him now. The Barcelona link doesn't look as silly when he's won Euro 2016.

Perhaps it's to replace Martina

No.10 and a pacy wide player for me are a must.

Squad is currently weaker than what it was last year and as people have mentioned we are down a lot of premier league goals from last year.

Chamberlain would be immense, so would Sigurdsson, but knowing the club we won't know the player until he has signed. Though it's all gone quiet on transfer rumours for Chamberlain so maybe, just maybe some quiet negotiations are going in the background.

To say we've lost a lot of goals is strange. I mean, obviously, because we lost first team players.

Had Austin and a fit Rodriguez been playing we may have had just as many goals.

It would be unusual to expect any rumours at this moment - Puel needs time away on pre-season to see the squad. Maybe he tries and thinks Tadic can play that #10. Or maybe Rodriguez is the pacey wide player we're looking for.

In any case, we added Van Dijk on last day of the transfer window last season, which was a very expensive first team player.

However, he was filling an obvious gap, Koeman said so himself (Gardos was injured, everyone knew that Yoshida had nailed down the backup place and wasn't going to be playing every week).

I wouldn't say in our case that there is a glaring need for a #10 or #11.

Long is fast and can play wide, Rodriguez too. Tadic could play that #10, Davis if he has a stormer can play there, agreed neither has proven themselves but hey.

My point is that it's a case of being untested - there is no gaping hole. It's a matter of consistency, a matter of proving that the players we have can nail down these positions week-in-week-out.

I think Puel wants to test that out before splashing the cash on an unnecessary 20m forward before finding that another forward (e.g., Long, Tadic) leaves because of not having game time.