Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Could well be Cedric moving on. I mean he's never going to have a better summer for it than when he's won the Euros, we could get a big bid and he could get a good move. I'd rather he didn't, but the club do accept decent offers for most players.

Not exactly what that link says tho is it

Could well be Cedric moving on. I mean he's never going to have a better summer for it than when he's won the Euros, we could get a big bid and he could get a good move. I'd rather he didn't, but the club do accept decent offers for most players.

Why would we get a big bid for Cedric? He was the cheapo rubbish bargain basement replacement for our best player signed by our penny pinching asset stripping clueless board. He can't have become one of our better-players-we-can't-afford-to-keep-losing already can he?

I can't keep up.

If CP wants attacking full backs he will love Cedric and Martina has been solid rather than expansive going forward.

Martina probably being paid next to nothing PL wise so makes a good utility man until his contract runs out.

Why would we get a big bid for Cedric? He was the cheapo rubbish bargain basement replacement for our best player signed by our penny pinching asset stripping clueless board. He can't have become one of our better-players-we-can't-afford-to-keep-losing already can he?

I can't keep up.

Funny

You can't keep up with the arguments against the arguments you've just made up?

That's right. I made up anyone ever saying that Cedric was a cheap replacement for Clyne. No one ever on this forum even thought it until I brought it up just now. I do apologise.

That's right. I made up anyone ever saying that Cedric was a cheap replacement for Clyne. No one ever on this forum even thought it until I brought it up just now. I do apologise.

No one ever said Cedric was a cheap replacement for Clyne. No one ever said you. Can't keep selling your best players and replacing them with cheap alternatives. No one ever said that. If you think people said it you're wrong, I certainly don't remember anyone saying those things this summer, last summer or the summer before. It didn't happen.

Which is it then? People said he was a 'cheapo rubbish bargain basement replacement for our best player' or people said he was 'a cheap replacement for Clyne'? Because they're very different and you've changed it. A cheap replacement for Clyne isn't necessarily even a negative. Did everyone say one or both of these? Most? Some? A few?

Our best player Clyne? I mean, did even any of his biggest fans claim he was Saints best player? So, basically, we're talking about all the people who posted about Cedric being a rubbish cheap replacement for our best player Clyne, criticised our board as clueless and penny pinching and are now afraid he might leave? I only manage to fit the last of those criteria. Were there loads who covered all the bases?

And you don't think it's possible a big club might be interested in a defender that just won the European Championships?

You've taken me apart there and no mistake.

Well, to be honest I didn't even read it all.

There is still question marks against Cedric despite him having a good Euro 16 . He was nowhere near the standard NC was in the premier league and there really wasn't too much complaining when an average journeyman player took his place . It may well be first season syndrome and the confidence of being a European champion together with a new manager may well do the trick . However , I wouldn't be surprised if the English game is too physical for him . If we get a stupid offer it maybe worth cashing in as his at his peak value at the moment . There maybe a cheaper repacement more suited to the English game .

I'd take Ballotelli for 8m or so. We lack a bit of unpredictability, he still has some pace and power. Yeah he's a **** but he can't be happy with his career nosediving and I have a feeling he'd do well here. Crazy how far he's fallen but still only 25.

He'd ruin a club like us, too big for his boots, can't imagine him integrating with anyone.

I'd take Ballotelli for 8m or so. We lack a bit of unpredictability, he still has some pace and power. Yeah he's a **** but he can't be happy with his career nosediving and I have a feeling he'd do well here. Crazy how far he's fallen but still only 25.

I think we've fulfilled our quota of crazy Italian strikers for the decade.

To say we've lost a lot of goals is strange. I mean, obviously, because we lost first team players.

Had Austin and a fit Rodriguez been playing we may have had just as many goals.

It would be unusual to expect any rumours at this moment - Puel needs time away on pre-season to see the squad. Maybe he tries and thinks Tadic can play that #10. Or maybe Rodriguez is the pacey wide player we're looking for.

In any case, we added Van Dijk on last day of the transfer window last season, which was a very expensive first team player.

However, he was filling an obvious gap, Koeman said so himself (Gardos was injured, everyone knew that Yoshida had nailed down the backup place and wasn't going to be playing every week).

I wouldn't say in our case that there is a glaring need for a #10 or #11.

Long is fast and can play wide, Rodriguez too. Tadic could play that #10, Davis if he has a stormer can play there, agreed neither has proven themselves but hey.

My point is that it's a case of being untested - there is no gaping hole. It's a matter of consistency, a matter of proving that the players we have can nail down these positions week-in-week-out.

I think Puel wants to test that out before splashing the cash on an unnecessary 20m forward before finding that another forward (e.g., Long, Tadic) leaves because of not having game time.

Jay Rod is huge question mark and there is some doubt surrounding Austin as well but certainly no as much as Jay Rod, still expecting them to replace what we have lost in terms of Mane and Pelle is a big gamble IMO.

As for the rest, Long is poor out wide, he doesn't have the technique to run at people or the creativity delivery.

Jay Rod can play that position but again we have no idea if he will ever hit the same heights.

Tadic is out most creative player but he's never been much a goalscorer and he's very rarely ever played in the middle.

Davis is reliable and solid but he has 42 goals in near 500 club games, he's hardly a creative spark or a goalscoring mid.

A goal scoring/creating midfielder from the centre has been a clear hole we've had for ages someone who can add goals from midfield, run past the forward and create something when we aren't playing that well, like a Coutinho or Payet, this is even more important now we've lost the flair and pace of Mane.

We need a player who can knock one in from 25 yards or produce a bit of magic to unlock a team that has parked the bus so we win/draw more of the those games where we've played poorly against the likes of Sunderland, West Ham, Stoke etc. in recent years especially at home.

It's clear that the club want that sort of player looking at the players we've been linked with and the fact the likes of Ramirez and Juanmi were bought to play that sort of role.

I would love Ballotelli - there is a great talent there if someone could get it out of him. And unlike certain players I don't think he is malicious, just nuts.

He's not malicious at all, in fact he's very generous, like you say, he's just nuts.

I would love Ballotelli - there is a great talent there if someone could get it out of him. And unlike certain players I don't think he is malicious, just nuts.

There isn't great talent, there is mediocre talent which isn't worth the nonsense he brings with him. He had one decent season at City but more recently looked hopeless at Liverpool.

There isn't great talent, there is mediocre talent which isn't worth the nonsense he brings with him. He had one decent season at City but more recently looked hopeless at Liverpool.

However you could say that by the same token we wouldn't want Lallana, Lovren or Lambert from Liverpool as they've all been shît there despite being good for us. Clyne (almost though not yet proven) exception that proves the rule...

However you could say that by the same token we wouldn't want Lallana, Lovren or Lambert from Liverpool as they've all been shît there despite being good for us. Clyne (almost though not yet proven) exception that proves the rule...

I wouldn't want them either. Lallana has also had one decent season at this level, Lovren 6 months and Lambert was over the hill when he left.

I think it is undeniable that somewhere in side is a fantastic talent it's just a case of whether or not he really wants to get back to his best and if he can find an environment that allows him to. Personally I don't think he would fit in here at all personality wise which is a shame as if he could be coaxed back to his best he is the type of player every team in the league wants!

Maybe. But then maybe he's not actually like that? Or maybe he's mellowed after being **** for ages. Got to take the occasional risk and I think our squad is solid enough to manage it. Can't see it happening, I just think somewhere playing regularly under an encouraging manager would produce a very good striker.

Or maybe I just miss having a miserable bastard in the team now Mane has gone.

Mourinho, Klopp, Mancini and Allegri have all lost the plot with him and driven him out of their club. What makes you think we'd be any different?

Granted I am biased since I'm a big Austin fan, but I don't think he is much of a question mark. He got dinged up mid last season thats really all it was. The prior 4.5 seasons he played pretty much all the matches. Even early last season for QPR, he played the first 16 matches or so, and got 10 goals. Over the past 4.5 seasons, including him sitting out the last 1/2 season with Southampton, he's scored 86 goals. As we know he had 18 of these in the Premier League 2 seasons ago. I do agree we need more than just Long and Austin, and I do think JRod has some injury risk, so we need more depth.

Suggests to me the club weren't keen and just humouring the new manager a bit.....

I reckon it's just a greedy agent not being happy with the first offer from Saints.

If we so want him then I expect us to come back with a better offer.

I wouldn't want them either. Lallana has also had one decent season at this level, Lovren 6 months and Lambert was over the hill when he left.

Lallana is a knob and is a frustrating player but he would still walk into most teams including ours.

Klopp loves him though so moot point.

I suspect the offer was a derisory 10-15k a week lol. If he has that type of attitude Im not sure that he is suited to us. IMO we want players who a keen to join not just for mad wages

I reckon it's just a greedy agent not being happy with the first offer from Saints.

If we so want him then I expect us to come back with a better offer.

I think it's been reported that West Ham were also sniffing around, and I get the feeling they're less careful with their money. The article also mentions that he's had other offers.

Hopefully it's nonsense but I doubt a new manager would be happy if he suggests a player who is out of contract and the club make a derisory contract offer.

Still not sure we need him but maybe he's awesome who knows. I'm one of the weird Cedric fans.

Derisory is relative! I think once a premier league team come in for a player they think £50k a week is the minimum acceptable, even f they're just a squad player.

We would have offered him what he's worth to us. If thinks he's worth more then hopefully (for him) he can find it elsewhere. Otherwise he'll back wanting to sign the contract or unemployed.

I suspect the offer was a derisory 10-15k a week lol. If he has that type of attitude Im not sure that he is suited to us. IMO we want players who a keen to join not just for mad wages

How I long to live in a world where 15k a week is a insult :lol:

cant find the link etc arturo mina nacoinal at present the possibly the best team in SA also look at calleri a=t sao paulo and gustavo bou could be a goa; machine south america now is like shopping at lidl or aldi amongst the cheap dross are some real team squad barqains

spelling courtesy of three bottles of merlot

Never that keen on a new manager who wants to bring players from his previous club because it looks a bit lazy when there are many others who should be considered. Sometimes it works as most of Koeman's Dutch connections have been successful but looks like Les Read wanted to take a broader view. Koeman was always clear that as manager he didn't have the final say on recruitment so perhaps this low wage offer carries a message for Puel.

cant find the link etc arturo mina nacoinal at present the possibly the best team in SA also look at calleri a=t sao paulo and gustavo bou could be a goa; machine south america now is like shopping at lidl or aldi amongst the cheap dross are some real team squad barqains

spelling courtesy of three bottles of merlot

Maybe come back when you're sober, as I cannot work out a word you are saying.