Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Word!

I'm quite puzzled that many people here doesn't seem to rate Cedric. At this stage of Cedrics career he would never settle to play second fiddle, so if we buy a new first choice RB that would most likely mean cedric is off (or at least want to leave). I think he made a quite good contribution last year and i don't know why the criticism coming from. To write off a young player, european winner, with great potential doesn't make any sense to me..

Simply because he was not very good last year. He was dropped for large parts of the season.

Or, the most likely reason is that Puel doesn't rate Martina and he is the one that is off. Why people insist on saying that Cedric is the one being replaced I have no idea.

I expect it's because Cedric has a strong sale value just now and probably a few clubs willing to pay it, Martina on the other hand well............

It matters to the clubs coffers not the fans.

If we had tied Mane on a new contract within his first year I think most fans would be pretty bloody happy that we'd get to keep him for another year unless a silly silly offer came in!

That was what I was wondering too, Apart from the 2 head injuries I could see no reason for it ! Maybe because Cuco was Erwins man ?

Im sure I read somewhere that statistically Cedric was the best right back in the league! ?

If we had tied Mane on a new contract within his first year I think most fans would be pretty bloody happy that we'd get to keep him for another year unless a silly silly offer came in!
that is a fair comment , although do you think the club would have sold him for 30+m had he been on a 6 year contract? Personally I think they would have

Im sure I read somewhere that statistically Cedric was the best right back in the league! ?

I think the statistic I saw was best tackler in the PL, in that he won a higher percentage of tackles attempted than any other player (that was around Christmas though so I imagine that dropped second half of the season as he played less)

I think the statistic I saw was best tackler in the PL, in that he won a higher percentage of tackles attempted than any other player (that was around Christmas though so I imagine that dropped second half of the season as he played less)

Very much doubt it - does not work like that. Percentage is based on number of games actually played - not against total potential games he could have played.

I just think he was not a RK favourite for whatever reason. Like him and think he will come good, if not very good.

The 5 year contracts clearly matter because it puts the club in the driving seat with regards to sales, they obviously don't want to avoid another Clyne/Wanyama situation where the fee gets fairly low because of them only have a year left.

All our new signings and new contracts have been 5 or 6 years, I would reckon to specifically avoid that situation happening again, so either the player wants to move but will have 2/3 years left at least so gets a higher fee or we've had him for 4 years.

On a side note, Cedric Soares was rated as the 23rd best player in the league last year based on whoscored.com's average rating. The only defenders who got a higher rating than him were Van Dijk, Fuchs, Koscielny and Otamendi (plus at a stretch Antonio, though he only played 7 games at right back who they put into their best team at right back).

Bellerin was voted PFA best right back.

The 5 year contracts clearly matter because it puts the club in the driving seat with regards to sales, they obviously don't want to avoid another Clyne/Wanyama situation where the fee gets fairly low because of them only have a year left.

All our new signings and new contracts have been 5 or 6 years, I would reckon to specifically avoid that situation happening again, so either the player wants to move but will have 2/3 years left at least so gets a higher fee or we've had him for 4 years.

On a side note, Cedric Soares was rated as the 23rd best player in the league last year based on whoscored.com's average rating. The only defenders who got a higher rating than him were Van Dijk, Fuchs, Koscielny and Otamendi (plus at a stretch Antonio, though he only played 7 games at right back who they put into their best team at right back).

Bellerin was voted PFA best right back.

see, Otamendi was pretty shyte I reckon. VvD was pure class though

I would say Bellerin is the best right back in the leageu

why was he dropped for nearly half a season.?

He wasn't. He was dropped to the bench for 10 games, some of which coincided with his eye injuries, which affected him more than some seem to think. He missed 3 games due to a groin injury, and then was inexplicably dropped by Koeman, I would suggest that Koeman and Cedric had some sort of falling out, as Koeman seems to have done with a few players. Also Martina scored his wonder goal when he got his chance and lived on that for a few weeks despite him being not very good defensively. Still Cedric played 24 league games out of 38, so he was hardly dropped for "nearly half the season". Hopefully one who will benefit from Koeman's departure, he is a very good RB, not really any need to get an improvement.

see, Otamendi was pretty shyte I reckon. VvD was pure class though

I would say Bellerin is the best right back in the leageu

Ottamendi was alright in most games, just didn't quite cut it in the crunch games and probably tried to get the ball on the front foot too much.

Bellerin is good, but not sure he gets tested that much defensively and a lot of his games is just around raw pace.

But goes to show Cedric was pretty consistent, he was a our second highest rated player and I doubt we'll find a better right back without spending a lot. I just think the way Puel plays he likes the fullbacks to provide a lot of width and attacking intent so with the extra games maybe he feels we need two quality full backs for the whole season and maybe one that is more offensive than Cedric.

On the stats -

Cedric Bellerin

Tackles per game 3 1.6

Interceptions pg 2.3 1.9

Fouls pg 0.8 0.5

Clearances pg 2.8 2.4

Blocks pg 0.5 0.2

Defensively Cedric was way more active, Bellerin better offensively 1 goal, 5 assists, 1.8 dribbles per game and a 85.7% pass success rate, whereas Cedric only had 2 assists, dribbled less and his pass success rate was down at 73%, the only offensive area he beats Bellerin is key pass per game.

Bellerin is a better attacking full back, Cedric seems the better defensive one. (which he also showed at Euros).

Maybe we are after a more offensive full back to have those two options.

its funny that people think that a player that won the euros (cedric) is not good enough for southampton (4 clean sheets inc. semi and final), cuco is quite good for a back up for saints and Yan valery looked great the other day at right back.

clyne and chambers wasnt any better than cedric this last season just gone....

he was dropped by a manger that also dropped tadic who is one of your best players and mane was also dropped. kept playing wanyama over oriol, and also played clasie all the time when reed or jwp could have played.playing 5 at the back and playing long ball for most of the season...as much as i like koeman he made soo many bad mistakes inc not playing a young right back called cedric...

its funny that people think that a player that won the euros (cedric) is not good enough for southampton (4 clean sheets inc. semi and final), cuco is quite good for a back up for saints and Yan valery looked great the other day at right back.

clyne and chambers wasnt any better than cedric this last season just gone....

he was dropped by a manger that also dropped tadic who is one of your best players and mane was also dropped. kept playing wanyama over oriol, and also played clasie all the time when reed or jwp could have played.playing 5 at the back and playing long ball for most of the season...as much as i like koeman he made soo many bad mistakes inc not playing a young right back called cedric...

we should sign Eder immediately. he would grab us 20 goals next season!

The Euro's is very different from the premier league, it is a cup competition ffs. I doubt Robson-Kanu will be cryuff-turning many defences next season

we should sign Eder immediately. he would grab us 20 goals next season!

The Euro's is very different from the premier league, it is a cup competition ffs. I doubt Robson-Kanu will be cryuff-turning many defences next season

sorry your right the premier league is on a different level... england and Belgian and all the other premier league players did amazing in a **** competition.

The Euro's is very different from the premier league, it is a cup competition ffs.

doesnt matter nor do i care... (like to add robson-kanu cryuff-turn was against Denayer (man city defender) and Alderweireld one off the best defenders in the premier league.)

some of the things you write on here your bang on but the sarcasm about eder and robson kanu because i said cedric played great at euros is just not needed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3693819/Cedric-Soares-set-rewarded-new-contract-Southampton-look-build-new-manager-Claude-Puel.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Unsurprisingly, we are in the market for a new number 2 GK. Gazzanigfa wants a loan to get some games and Harry Lewis will step in as the number 3.

Other news:

Cedric set to be given an improved contract, Tadic discussing a new and improved contract with talks set to continue this week. Long will also be offered a new deal.

Reed, Gallagher, Isgrove and Stephens have impressed Puel so far in pre season and are ear marked to play some first team football next season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3693819/Cedric-Soares-set-rewarded-new-contract-Southampton-look-build-new-manager-Claude-Puel.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Unsurprisingly, we are in the market for a new number 2 GK. Gazzanigfa wants a loan to get some games and Harry Lewis will step in as the number 3.

Other news:

Cedric set to be given an improved contract, Tadic discussing a new and improved contract with talks set to continue this week. Long will also be offered a new deal.

Reed, Gallagher, Isgrove and Stephens have impressed Puel so far in pre season and are ear marked to play some first team football next season.

That's going some one week of training and a friendly latter and they have got themselves in contention for the 1st team places......

That's going some one week of training and a friendly latter and they have got themselves in contention for the 1st team places......

Because Koeman could not see it himself as he had his own head up his arse.

I will continue to believe Pottychino would of brought these kids through into the first team as he was brilliant at doing so.

Puel it seems has been hired for that very role which I love personally.

Regarding the Daily Fail article, Redmond is not Mane's replacement.

Agree mostly. I think 3/4 top quality signings combined with bringing youth players in is ideal. It's the signings like Juanmi, martina, caulker and a few other loans I don't get. Sign first teamers or those very close, but for competition bring in youth players. Reed in particular was ready to be involved last season but never trusted. He'd already shown he could do it. Was Clasie much better? He was effective in a fair few games eventually yes, but with experience I think Reed could do as good a job, and not cost 11m.

Isgrove not so sure about, he did well in the lower leagues but it's a hell of a jump in quality. He has a habit of doing great in pre season! Gallagher though, I have a feeling he might do something. I've seen him be great and rubbish for the reserves/youth, and show some good and bad touches in the first team. But he seems bigger, more powerful now. Be great to see him do well.

Surely The signings so far this year are potential rather than "top quality" signings? Not a lot different to Juanmi last year?

Surely The signings so far this year are potential rather than "top quality" signings? Not a lot different to Juanmi last year?

They are like Juanmi. They are all top quality (not potential) with nothing to prove. Juanmi didn't work out that's all,

They are like Juanmi. They are all top quality (not potential) with nothing to prove. Juanmi didn't work out that's all,

I liked Juanmi, he didn't really get much of a chance to demonstrate he could be an influence? I think Classie is a good player and if people expect him to be Morgan then he has to be given a few years to get to that level.

The two new players also need to be given time before they are compared to Wanyama or Mane.

Brighton prospect Solly March is ready to snub a contract offer.

The 21-year-old winger has been offered a new deal but the uplift in his basic wage has not convinced him to re-sign for the Seagulls.

England Under-21 international March is about to return to training after missing most of last season with a knee injury.

But his early-season form was eye-catching and resulted in a call-up.

Southampton have been long-term admirers and are expected to make a move once he has returned to full fitness.[/Quote]

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-liverpool-arsenal-8432268

Depends how much you've seen. Hojbjerg is a starter, no doubt. Redmond is one near the team with potential but with premier league experience. At worst he'll be on the bench and coming on most games, so ahead of Juanmi. If we had exciting wingers in the youth teams I doubt we'd sign Redmond but isgrove and McQueen haven't done much.

I haven't seen much of him to be honest. There is no doubt that being at Bayern and playing for Denmark regularily shows that he has something however expecting him to step straight in, replace Wanyama or A.N.Other in the starting eleven and be the nuts is IMO expecting too much of any young signing? He will need time to adjust.

Juanmi came on the back of expectation too, hadn't he just broken into the Spain squad?

Chelsea’s £30million signing of defensive midfielder N’Golo Kante has cast the future of Nemanja Matic into doubt. According to ESPN, Juventus are confident of tying up a deal for the Serbian with the Blues open to selling him for £15m.

Matic played in Chelsea’s pre-season friendly match against Rapid Vienna last night which ended in a 2-0 defeat for new boss Antonio Conte.

Matic, 27, was part of the Chelsea side which won the Premier League title in 2014-15, but struggled for form last season.

Matic for £15M would be a massive upgrade on VW - wages migth be a problem but if we can stretch to £100K a week it might be a runner?

Chelsea’s £30million signing of defensive midfielder N’Golo Kante has cast the future of Nemanja Matic into doubt. According to ESPN, Juventus are confident of tying up a deal for the Serbian with the Blues open to selling him for £15m.

Matic played in Chelsea’s pre-season friendly match against Rapid Vienna last night which ended in a 2-0 defeat for new boss Antonio Conte.

Matic, 27, was part of the Chelsea side which won the Premier League title in 2014-15, but struggled for form last season.

Matic for £15M would be a massive upgrade on VW - wages migth be a problem but if we can stretch to £100K a week it might be a runner?

This would be a hell of a signing for Saints, it would be an enormous statement of intent & a clear sign of ambition, however I couldn't see it happening unfortunately

That's a big nope their