Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

What's your reasoning? Just curious.

Firstly, I should clarify that I was broadly referencing Adrian's post - two AMs and a striker of starting quality ("not competition") - and the agreement thereafter. I don't necessarily disagree with the ideas, but I can't see it happening, for numerous reasons.

Numbers - New AM, new AM, Davis, Tadic, and Redmond. New F, Long, JRod, and Austin. Come league day, you'll be leaving two of those out the match day squad, and that's on the assumption we have three attacking players on the bench. Who do you leave out? Presumably not the three new signings. Long either starts or is the second striker. Are we really going to freeze out two of Davis, Tadic, Redmond, JRod and Austin from the league side?

Youth - Given Guan's comments in January about how certain people were irked by Koeman's lack of affinity for the academy, and our subsequent replacement of Koeman with someone known for player development/nurturing talent, I firmly believe we'll see something of a 'return' to youth players being given opportunities. Heck, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Reed say as much last year when discussing our potential Europa campaign? (I may have made that up :lol: - I'll check tomorrow). You don't encourage such development by packing the squad full on currently superior players.

Club journalists - The club's unofficial journalists (Leich and so on) have stated that Austin is Pelle's replacement. There will be no new striker. Initially I considered this may be a tactic to prevent price escalation, but what with other factors, I'm coming round to the idea that it's the truth...because we've never really had a 4th striker - yes, we've had 4th level (in terms of depth) strikers on the books (Billy Sharp, Mayuka, etc), but they were hanging about the place stinking the place up (no offence to them :p).

Registered players - Currently we have 19 (of 25). We'll be signing a GK surely, assume 20 (of 25). Puel wants a new RB, assume 21 (of 25). Plus three new attacking players, assume 24 (of 25). Now we've had this many registered players before (in every season save for Poch's), but as above, only because we've had duds hanging about the place. If you look at the league minutes played by all registered players over the past 4 seasons in the Prem, you tend to come out to around 18-19 effective players and that's including three goalkeepers!)...and by that I mean players who you'd consider were involved with the first team for decent periods, or were necessary (GKs). The potential implication there being, we'd have 5 to 6 players who'd barely get any (league) game time.

And I know I'm placing emphasis on "league game time", but that's because I don't believe we'll make major adjustments to our squad depth for an annual competition that is the Europa league - we didn't really do so last year - players like Martina, Romeu, and Juanmi, were only really replacing holes we hadn't filled from previous years (Chambers, Cork, Elia/Djuricic). Last year, we had just as many registered senior pros as we did the year before (in spite of the Europa League).

There's probably some other stuff that I'm too tired to remember now :rolleyes: And forgive any grammatical errors for the same reason.

As above though, I don't necessarily agree with what I envisage the club doing. I said a few weeks back that I thought we'd need to replace Pelle, because I'm just as concerned as Adrian is about the Austin/JRod fitness issue...but I've since concluded that we won't be (perhaps because surprise transfers are always the best, ha), and I'm happy to wait and see how it pans out.

P.S As stated on another thread, I reckon we'll sign a GK, a RB, and an AM (singular).

Edited by Donatello

I'd feel a lot better with a couple of attacking signings. Goals look very limited right now. Guess Chamberlain and Berahino would be too much to ask for, but christ it would make the options look healthier.

I guess Tadic/Davis/Redmond behind Long is ok, solid enough but it doesn't exactly excite and promise great things does it.

There is a certain irony to not relying on J Rod and Austin because of injury concerns, then suggesting we should sign AOC. I'd actually be underwhelmed with both the players you suggested.

Firstly, I should clarify that I was broadly referencing Adrian's post - two AMs and a striker of starting quality ("not competition") - and the agreement thereafter. I don't necessarily disagree with the ideas, but I can't see it happening, for numerous reasons.

Numbers - New AM, new AM, Davis, Tadic, and Redmond. New F, Long, JRod, and Austin. Come league day, you'll be leaving two of those out the match day squad, and that's on the assumption we have three attacking players on the bench. Who do you leave out? Presumably not the three new signings. Long either starts or is the second striker. Are we really going to freeze out two of Davis, Tadic, Redmond, JRod and Austin from the league side?

Youth - Given Guan's comments in January about how certain people were irked by Koeman's lack of affinity for the academy, and our subsequent replacement of Koeman with someone known for player development/nurturing talent, I firmly believe we'll see something of a 'return' to youth players being given opportunities. Heck, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Reed say as much last year when discussing our potential Europa campaign? (I may have made that up :lol: - I'll check tomorrow). You don't encourage such development by packing the squad full on currently superior players.

Club journalists - The club's unofficial journalists (Leich and so on) have stated that Austin is Pelle's replacement. There will be no new striker. Initially I considered this may be a tactic to prevent price escalation, but what with other factors, I'm coming round to the idea that it's the truth...because we've never really had a 4th striker - yes, we've had 4th level (in terms of depth) strikers on the books (Billy Sharp, Mayuka, etc), but they were hanging about the place stinking the place up (no offence to them :p).

Registered players - Currently we have 19 (of 25). We'll be signing a GK surely, assume 20 (of 25). Puel wants a new RB, assume 21 (of 25). Plus three new attacking players, assume 24 (of 25). Now we've had this many registered players before (in every season save for Poch's), but as above, only because we've had duds hanging about the place. If you look at the league minutes played by all registered players over the past 4 seasons in the Prem, you tend to come out to around 18-19 effective players and that's including three goalkeepers!)...and by that I mean players who you'd consider were involved with the first team for decent periods, or were necessary (GKs). The potential implication there being, we'd have 5 to 6 players who'd barely get any (league) game time.

And I know I'm placing emphasis on "league game time", but that's because I don't believe we'll make major adjustments to our squad depth for an annual competition that is the Europa league - we didn't really do so last year - players like Martina, Romeu, and Juanmi, were only really replacing holes we hadn't filled from previous years (Chambers, Cork, Elia/Djuricic). Last year, we had just as many registered senior pros as we did the year before (in spite of the Europa League).

There's probably some other stuff that I'm too tired to remember now :rolleyes: And forgive any grammatical errors for the same reason.

As above though, I don't necessarily agree with what I envisage the club doing. I said a few weeks back that I thought we'd need to replace Pelle, because I'm just as concerned as Adrian is about the Austin/JRod fitness issue...but I've since concluded that we won't be (perhaps because surprise transfers are always the best, ha), and I'm happy to wait and see how it pans out.

P.S As stated on another thread, I reckon we'll sign a GK, a RB, and an AM (singular).

Great post, and I agree that it's unlikely for these factors. The issue about freezing out players is a big one - the assumption is that if we bring in a player better than Austin, Davis (perhaps he's the exception here), Romeu, Cedric, that those players will be content to play when their first choice counterparts are either too injured or too tired, or just for the sake of it to provide 'competition' which is meant to somehow motivate everyone to be really skillful all of a sudden.

Don't forget we nearly lost Tadic, and might still lose him, on the basis of Koeman not playing him.

You can talk all you want about big wages and 'what I'd do if I got paid 50k a week' but the bottom line is you don't expect to be relegated to backup two years, or even 1, after arriving at the club as a first team player with much lauded over you on OS and by the manager etc. etc

By the way, I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It could be wrong because we don't have the rapid progression the fans have been wanting for at least two seasons now (to 'push on' and "cement" our place in top 7..). It could be right because the deliberate choice to bring in these players may well have a ripple effect in terms of squad motivation, other players (this seasons tadic and mane, although mane not for lack of game time) wanting to leave, and so on.

A season long loan' date=' where he's playing each week, rather than occasionally as back up to Bertrand, would do him the world of good, I'd have thought.[/quote']

That's assuming it's a loan! Is it a loan, Monk? Wasn't it reported to be a bid of £5m or something?

I know very little about him, I don't watch a great deal of French football nowadays really. He's highly rated but as I have no illusions that the French League is one of the weakest serious leagues in European football that's no great recommendation really. So many before him have gone for big prices and failed miserably when faced with the reality of real men's football. Like Cabella,Stambouli, Yanga Mbwia, that bloke from Toulose at Sunderland, what's his name Wasiri or something like that.

Then again you have your Hazards and Girouds. Has skill but the English game may be too tough for him.

Apologies, meant to say thanks for this. Furthermore, you can now add Njie to that list :p

I assumed it would be Gardos and Yoshida?

Is up front we need to be concentrating IMHO.

I guess he doesn't see them as decent...

If we are going to play 4-3-3 as the clubs prefered method we need more wide options. Long or Austin down the middle and that leaves Tadic, Redmond or Jrod out wide.

Need someone to play in Steve Davis position to I reckon.

We desperately need decent CB back up - we seem very well covered in most other areas.

By decent back up I assume you mean decent young CB (early 20's) as opposed to a Caulker or just a late 20s player?

What we really need is someone who is or very soon will be better than Jose who then effectively becomes a very very decent 'back up' CB as you put it.

This phrase of "back-up" is not really relevant in today's football. It is very much a squad game and top teams need 20+ decent players, not 11 plus 11 back ups!!!! If you do you likely struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven't lost anyone there and had an excellent defence. Yoshida and Gardos can be back up perfectly well. They aren't great, but back ups aren't going to be. They're a good level considering, and Stephens is around too.

Other areas aren't near as good. We have 2 wingers, one who struggled with Norwich last season. No actual no10s at all, and 1 properly fit striker.

I don't know enough about football/tactics to know, but it would be interesting to see if there's other ways of playing without a natural #10.

Not encouraging such a formation, is it a given that successful teams always have a 'creative, goalscoring #10'?

I guess he doesn't see them as decent...

If we are going to play 4-3-3 as the clubs prefered method we need more wide options. Long or Austin down the middle and that leaves Tadic, Redmond or Jrod out wide.

Need someone to play in Steve Davis position to I reckon.

So two AMs? One of whom is a winger. Do you expect the club to sign as such, or is that just what you'd hope for?

Incidentally, are we still treating JRod as a inside forward type? Has he played there since coming back? Does he still have the legs to get up and down? :? Fingers crossed and all that.

Targett out on loan for a season to a decent club with a good manager makes a lot of sense IMO. Would also explain why we seem to have been targeting a "utility" sort of player in Pied who could perhaps cover on either full back slot.

Targett out on loan for a season to a decent club with a good manager makes a lot of sense IMO. Would also explain why we seem to have been targeting a "utility" sort of player in Pied who could perhaps cover on either full back slot.

Yep have no problem loaning out our promising youngsters to little clubs in need.....

So two AMs? One of whom is a winger. Do you expect the club to sign as such, or is that just what you'd hope for?

Incidentally, are we still treating JRod as a inside forward type? Has he played there since coming back? Does he still have the legs to get up and down? :? Fingers crossed and all that.

Hope naturally. The club seem pretty much happy with the squad though. The echo had an article that said the club feel they have two quality players in every position so I doubt they are looking to bring many more players in.

Yeah I'm assuming Jrod is still considered a wide player in a three if not we really need extra options out wide Imo.

Edited by doddisalegend

You can be sure of one thing, if the club does allow Matt to go out on loan it will be a clear sign that they don't rate him as good enough for us and what will that do for his morale - and loyalty - a young local lad who wanted nothing more in life than to be playing for his beloved Saints. If ever there was a one-club man in the making, Matt surely must be him. ....and, what happens when inevitably Ryan gets injured again or gets red-carded? A loan is a loan and they can't just call Matt back for a couple of weeks to help out, no team will want to be ****,ed about like that and nor will any player.

Now, if both the invisible manager and the recently departed have concluded that Matt just cannot make the grade then fair enough, they know or should know a hell of a lot more about footballers than any of us then let him go but it would have to be a transfer as he could never again come back here and feel the same way about the club who he once loved but ended up shaftin'g him.

Woah there Neddys.

An unsustained post that Newcastle are "in for Targett" and now we're getting a few of end of the world scenarios as if it was gospel and that the club will accept whatever it is that they're offering. Monk isn't the most reliable purveyor of insider information really and doesn't even say whether the club are taking any eventual offer seriously....

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think considering the extra games and the fact Bertrand has dabbled with being in a back 3 would mean Target is needed here.

Fullbacks do a lot of work, and I think in Puel's formation at Nice they were entirely the width so having two decent options both sides to rotate is a good option.

Still think we need

1. A big physical DM.

2. A goal scoring, creative, set piece taking taking Attacking mid/No.10.

3. A Pacey wide player.

4. A back up GK

The first 3 should all be improving the first team squad.

There are, Davis does a job, it just ends up being a bit defensive. Think it's just the worry that we lack goals in so many positions. Redmond may come good but has no record of scoring at this level, or much at all. Davis is a 2/3 a season many really. In our starting 11 right now, you're looking at Tadic and Long as the only likely scoring, and both miss a lot of chances. We desperately need a couple of excellent goal throats after losing Mane and Pelle.

Being a football fan and being a pessimist often go together. Fully understand where adriansfc is coming from because as Saints' fans we have to cope with our in-built fear factor. Fear that our favourite club will let us down by employing an incompetent manager or not providing the manager with players who are up to the job. But there is another way of looking at it. Pelle was a goal threat but likely to have been less so this year as time caught up with him. Instead we have Charlie Austin who some people seem to have written-off just because he had been injured before he was signed and had another injury soon after. But in between he did score the winning goal at Old Trafford and is already being tipped for a solid career with Sam Allardyce's England, simply because he is a goal threat and a proven goal scorer. He's also 6 years younger than Pelle.

True, we've lost Mané, but £34m for him looks like daylight robbery, because as goal threat he was a bit hit and miss. We all know about the goal drought last season and the times when he wasn't considered an obvious first choice for the side. Redmond may not be a Mané replacement, because he's a different kind of player but his quality is shown by representing England u-21 and as a winger he brings an ability to assist as well as to score. Then in midfield the club has brought in Højbjerg who looks to be a strong addition where a gap had been left by Wanyama, not that Victor was there all the time due to his suspensions. On top of this we have JRod who has now had the time needed to overcome his injury and is going through a proper pre-season. By any measure, JRod is a goal threat.

None of this means we don't need to strengthen further such as the No.10 type player mentioned by some. Although I'm confident the squad is good enough there is a need for greater resilience, but some of that might come from a player or two who are already with the club if Puel is convinced they are good enough. More signings? Yes, hopefully, but I wouldn't be surprised if none are made until after the friendly matches by which time the season will have begun as per last year when VVD was brought in.

Edited by Professor

Hope naturally. The club seem pretty much happy with the squad though. The echo had an article that said the club feel they have two quality players in every position so I doubt they are looking to bring many more players in.

Yeah I'm assume Jrod is still considered a wide player in a three if not we really need extra options out wide Imo.

:thumbup:

(For anyone/everyone) Didn't JRod play a couple of games in a relaxed no.10 role last season? Or was that more of a 4-4-2?

You can be sure of one thing, if the club does allow Matt to go out on loan it will be a clear sign that they don't rate him as good enough for us and what will that do for his morale - and loyalty - a young local lad who wanted nothing more in life than to be playing for his beloved Saints. If ever there was a one-club man in the making, Matt surely must be him. ....and, what happens when inevitably Ryan gets injured again or gets red-carded? A loan is a loan and they can't just call Matt back for a couple of weeks to help out, no team will want to be ****,ed about like that and nor will any player.

Now, if both the invisible manager and the recently departed have concluded that Matt just cannot make the grade then fair enough, they know or should know a hell of a lot more about footballers than any of us then let him go but it would have to be a transfer as he could never again come back here and feel the same way about the club who he once loved but ended up shaftin'g him.

I think a young, relatively inexperienced player can fully accept that they are below a full England international in the pecking order? Doesnt mean we dont want him - just that we might want him to gain more experience...

I think considering the extra games and the fact Bertrand has dabbled with being in a back 3 would mean Target is needed here.

Fullbacks do a lot of work, and I think in Puel's formation at Nice they were entirely the width so having two decent options both sides to rotate is a good option.

Still think we need

1. A big physical DM. Unlikely

2. A goal scoring, creative, set piece taking taking Attacking mid/No.10. Likely and needed

3. A Pacey wide player.Likely and needed - probably be the same player as above

4. A back up GK Needed and will happen

The first 3 should all be improving the first team squad.

Could also argue we need a Striker but sounds like Austin is our replacement which to me a big worry.

Anything you know to suggest that might actually happen? Surely selling a youth talent doesn't fit our strategy

Not nothing in that respect, just read it online from one journo & a Midlands paper.

Even if he's fit, I still think it's a concern...he doesn't seem to offer anything unless he is in the box, people seem to be underestimating how good some of Pelle's hold up play was!
If he scores 18 goals from in the box I'm happy with that. Didn't harm Van Nistlerooy who only scored 1 goal from outside the box for united or something similar. I would like a striker who is in the box at the right time to score goals not run all over the pitch in and be in wrong positions.

From what I have read, and the little I have seen, Puel will have us playing a variant of 4-3-3 which has the central midfielder and forward playing deeper than the others. The other 2 mids/fwds will mostly be playing quite narrow (fwds attacking the gaps between CBs and fullbacks) with all our width coming from our fullbacks. If I am correct, what does this mean in reference to current and possible future players? Let's look at who we have and who could play where:

GK: Frazer and Gazza - obviously we need one more, and I am sure we will get one

RB: Cedric seems perfect for this style; Martina less so. However, I was very impressed with Valery against DC Utd. I can see why there is rumour about us wanting another RB (as back-up to Cedric) but feel we are okay without one.

LB: Bertrand and Targett are clearly adequate. Ryan, we all know about. Matt did well as a wing-back last season; he is decent going forward, not so convincing defending. I think we are fine here. - N.B. For those saying they would be happy for Matt to go out on loan, who do you propose we use if/when Ryan is injured or unavailable?

CB: Jose, VvD, Maya and Gardos (with Stephens as 5th choice) I think is good enough. Yes, I would like better cover, but we are Saints, we are not going to bring better players than Maya/Gardos in as cover.

DM: Puel only really uses one deep sitting DM. Our problem is that we only really have one experienced player capable of playing in this role - Romeu. My worry is how we will cope when he (inevitably) gets suspended/injured. I would like to see us sign another big holding player, but don't think we will. We will likely see Hojberj play this role when Oriol isn't available.

Mids: For the other two midfield positions we have Davis, JWP, Classie, Hojberj and, as back-up, Reed. This should be enough and I doubt we will see a new box-to-box midfielder coming in.

AM: By AM I mean the central one of our attacking 3. Some on here seem to be thinking back to previous seasons where this player is the spearhead - Rickie/Pelle - but Puel doesn't seem to do this. The central fwd is likely to sit deeper in the AM 'No 10' role. Or am I mistaken? If I am correct, at present, we only really have Tadic who has anywhere near the skill for this position. The problem being, he really isn't a No 10 either. Perhaps Redmond could be trained to adapt to this position? But that would take time. This is, for me, our number one target and where we should aim high. We all know that we have made around a £40m profit so far this summer, and I doubt we will spend much on a back-up 'keeper; so we should have sufficient to get a top player in. Hopefully, one fit and able to walk straight into the team and a name to put bums on seats. Don't know who, but for some reason don't want it to be Boufal.

Fwds: That leaves us with Long, Austin, JRod and Redmond to fill the two proper fwd roles. Not wide, but not exactly central. IF they all stay fit, this should be okay. However, with the doubts over JRod and Austin, and the fact that Nathan is more of a wide player than a natural striker, I would really like to see one more conventional, mobile, fwd come in. I know others disagree, but to me Berahino would be perfect. However, I don't expect us to bring another one in, instead relying on Gallagher if JRod and/or Austin break down again. This could cost us, as we really do seem to be missing in the goals department.

Having said all the above, I do think it is a good thing that we have kept our defence together. Puel also, apparently, likes to play somewhat defensively. So, perhaps the plan is to just go for low scoring wins; hence, the club not being too worried about lost our two top scorers? I don't know. But, to summarize, unless there are any more departures, I can only really see us bringing in a back-up 'keeper and an attacking midfielder.

From what I have read, and the little I have seen, Puel will have us playing a variant of 4-3-3 which has the central midfielder and forward playing deeper than the others. The other 2 mids/fwds will mostly be playing quite narrow (fwds attacking the gaps between CBs and fullbacks) with all our width coming from our fullbacks. If I am correct, what does this mean in reference to current and possible future players? Let's look at who we have and who could play where:

Sorry, I'm not really sure I understand what formation you're referring to here (probably a fault my end)...so to clarify, do you mean,

-----------------GK----------------

RB-------CB---------CB---------LB

-----------------CM----------------

----------CM---------CM-----------

----------------FWD---------------

--------FWD-----------FWD--------

i.e. 4-1-2-1-2, but with that "1" in bold being a striker/forward, rather than an AM (i.e. Davis).

Edit: Having read the rest of your post (about specific players), it would appear this is indeed what you mean. My apologies/That'll learn me (for not reading a post in its entirety first) :thumbup:

Which poses a question, which you've touched upon, why sign Redmond? He's patently a winger (.....right?). I guess it's good to have options, be adaptable, and all that. There, I've answered my own Q. A lot of money for a bit part option though.

Edited by Donatello

Even if he's fit, I still think it's a concern...he doesn't seem to offer anything unless he is in the box, people seem to be underestimating how good some of Pelle's hold up play was!

Yes, but that only matters if we play that formation, which I would guess we're not and we'll be going 2 up top. Plus Long is also excellent at holding the ball up.

His job to score goals if he replicates his PL QPR form and gets 18 odd goals no one will care if his game isn't that refined.

Too many people writing off Austin I think.

The lad is a goal machine, provide him a chance and he'll put it away 9 times out of 10. He's a much better finisher than Pelle or Long.

If Redmond, Tadic + another get on the assists game then we could be laughing. He's a 'right place, right time' kind of player. Someone that fans have been crying out for.

At least he won't try all those silly back hills in the buildup to the box, ala Pelle.

I expect us to continue to play only one up top, either some form of 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. I have always had my doubts about Austin, but highly doubt we'll bring in another striker though i'd love us to get Berahinho. Think Tadic has looked good when playing the 10 role, less well on the right which shouldn't be an issue as surely redmond will play out there but we clearly need one more attacking midfielder.

-----------------CM----------------

----------------FWD---------------

--------FWD-----------FWD--------

Which poses a question, which you've touched upon, why sign Redmond? He's patently a winger (.....right?). I guess it's good to have options, be adaptable, and all that. There, I've answered my own Q. A lot of money for a bit part option though.

In the first half against DC u23 we actually seemed to play something like the diamond formation that Cruyff talks about in the video below, with Austin and Redmond operating as split/wide forwards. For those two roles you can play either strikers or wingers. I'm not entirely sure that Austin is ideally suited to playing in that way, but J-Rod, Long and Redmond all fit the bill as adaptable forwards who can drift in and out of wider areas.

Cruyff Diamond:

----------------DM-----------------

----------------AM------------------

---RF-------------------------LF---

In the second half, we played a 4-1-2-3 with J-Rod playing in between Olamola and Isgrove as the front three (Mourinho's old Chelsea formation).

I think that we will probably be swapping between a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond) as you drew, a wider 4-3-3 (Cruyff diamond/false 9 as drawn above) and a regular 4-1-2-3 with a central striker pushed up from where the AM is above. The first two of those formations use a no. 10, while all of them use two number 8s and a number 4 as the base to play from.

It should give us a plan A, B, and C while keeping the same midfield shape.

Tadic is a no 10, that's the best position for him. He lacks the speed required for the wings. He has the vision, intelligence and passing ability to play there. He knows when to switch flanks, when to pass to the fullbacks and when to go with the killer pass and is the only player on the team that can do it consistently.

Puel playing him there is an excellent idea. What he needs is somenone like Boufal to associate with him in the final third. That's why Boufal would be such a brilliant signing. I would certainly run the risk of signing him even if he isn't fully fit. We did that with Austin.

I see Redmond more suited for the poacher role, a backup for Long.

But it all could change, maybe the 4-1-2-1-2 is just one look and Puel could give us another one in the future.

Could also argue we need a Striker but sounds like Austin is our replacement which to me a big worry.

I'm not sure on Striker, really Long and Austin are both capable of playing as a long striker and Jay Rod is your third option.

That's 3 potential players for one spot, though our wide man with pace buy could then be used as second striker if needed, much like Mane could.

Tadic is a no 10, that's the best position for him. He lacks the speed required for the wings. He has the vision, intelligence and passing ability to play there. He knows when to switch flanks, when to pass to the fullbacks and when to go with the killer pass and is the only player on the team that can do it consistently.

Puel playing him there is an excellent idea. What he needs is somenone like Boufal to associate with him in the final third. That's why Boufal would be such a brilliant signing. I would certainly run the risk of signing him even if he isn't fully fit. We did that with Austin.

I see Redmond more suited for the poacher role, a backup for Long.

But it all could change, maybe the 4-1-2-1-2 is just one look and Puel could give us another one in the future.

He has played left wing for most of his career, not saying he can't convert but I think you'd want your no. 10 to track back.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dusan-tadic/profil/spieler/36139