Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Hats off to Saints. We do our business so so privately. I'd say we're the most professional club in the league for this. It's funny reading through these posts, and news now hasn't a clue! Far too much negativity and impatience on here though. It's bad for you!

If we pull some rabbits out of the hat, we should be considered the reverse West Ham :)

I do like deals that sneak up. Bertrand, Davis, Mane & Højbjerg in particular were very good examples of how we do things quietly.

Hats off to Saints. We do our business so so privately. I'd say we're the most professional club in the league for this. It's funny reading through these posts, and news now hasn't a clue! Far too much negativity and impatience on here though. It's bad for you!
Yep it must be difficult to keep all those incoming deals quiet.

Hopefully we have a few underway.

To keep deals quiet means you have to have the selling club abd agent gagged, hardly something in their interests I'd have thought

Yep it must be difficult to keep all those incoming deals quiet.

Hopefully we have a few underway.

To keep deals quiet means you have to have the selling club abd agent gagged, hardly something in their interests I'd have thought

It's quite interesting that more clubs don't do it like this - is it simply a precedent that has now been set and agents and clubs just follow along with it when dealing with saints?

What's quite interesting is that this year there has been a lot less ITK stuff from the usual suspects - wonder if they have been told to keep quiet to help with this.

Something today?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. If Mane was here, then we've added a back up winger and you'd think between those two and Tadic we'd supply Long, Austin or Rodriguez ok. As it is, we've lost our best attacking player by miles and not replaced him, let alone got on with strengthening from last season.

I'm aware this is mainly impatience and summer football boredom. It's just I have no idea anymore if the club are willing to spend like other clubs and actually improve us. I only think we need two attackers for the first team, another squad option and a back up keeper.

This is where I lack faith in the club . We shouldn't have to worry about this when we are in the financial position that we are

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

A newbie in today maybe then? It's my daughter's 8th birthday today and she's wanting to choose a new fave player now Pelle's gone, so make it a good 'un Les!

Well i can tell I watched him closely last season and this guy is the mustard.

Needs to work on his physical game but apart from that is extremely skillfull, tricky scores goals and is relatively quick.

Still very young and has an extremely high ceiling.

Fair enough, what I saw of him suggested no end product. But if you've watched him closely, I accept I am probably wrong about him.

Fair enough, what I saw of him suggested no end product. But if you've watched him closely, I accept I am probably wrong about him.

Asked my football obsessed friend in Paris, and his verdict on Boufal is "He's amazing - the next Hazard, though he has a sh*tty mentality. He was by far the most impressive youngster in Ligue 1 last year, with a spectacular/entertaining way of playing."

Ta. Appreciate any and all titbits, even if vague (that isn't a criticism!).

Don't think the squad is in as bad a shape as some are making out.

Hojlberg and Redmond were good additions and I'd expect both to be regulars.

Long-Tadic-Redmond

------Austin

Not the worst attack in the league by any stretch, we just need a couple more options, maybe a 10 and a striker.

Also want aright back, I don't rate Cedric too much tbh.

Outside that a few backs ups....keeper, centre half.

5 signings.....that's achievable before the window shuts.

Long-Tadic-Redmond

------Austin

Not the worst attack in the league by any stretch

It's not but Long is a lot better as centre forward then as a winger and what do we have behind that? Not much, only Austin and JRod and youngsters.

Our attack is in pretty bad shape atm, can't really deny that.

Long-Tadic-Redmond

------Austin

Not the worst attack in the league by any stretch, we just need a couple more options, maybe a 10 and a striker.

Long ineffective on the wing though - if we played those 4 then

Tadic--------------------Redmond

-------Long-------Austin

Would be a better formation to use everyone to their best

Not sure why anyone is putting Long out wide in a lineup.

He is a striker. His run of good form coincided with playing his actual position. He isnt an effective wide player.

If we go with one striker it is Long. Up to Austin to show he deserves a starting place. If we go for two up top then perhaps both could play.

So it is as bad as some are making out? ;)
Well some are saying we can't stay in the division, I think it could but obviously if we want to challenge for top 6 again, we need some reinforcement having sold a few.

Plus 5 signings.....but a couple of those are back ups. So it's really only 3 regulars we're looking at.

Push Cedric, Tadic and Austin to the bench and then we're ready to go :)

Long-Tadic-Redmond

------Austin

Redmond struggled to make an impact in a poor Norwich side . While he is in the under 21 England side ,so is Prowse so thats not really a sign of huge quality .

He may have potential but I can't imagine he has been brought in as a first team player surely ?

Redmond struggled to make an impact in a poor Norwich side . While he is in the under 21 England side ,so is Prowse so thats not really a sign of huge quality .

He may have potential but I can't imagine he has been brought in as a first team player surely ?

I think he has. But, you are right, Norwich fans have always described him as good but inconsistent. In my opinion he is an excellent signing if he has been bought to replace Juanmi but not as a replacement for Mane. Redmond scored 11 goals in 112 appearances for Norwich and 7 in 62 appearances for Birmingham, so he averages 1 goal every 10 games, which means we shouldn't expect more than 3 or 4 goals a season from him.

Maybe in some games play a 442 where effective? It is how Leicester won the league ;)

Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Redmond Hojberg Davis Tadic

Long Austin

That first 11 should be capable of top 10.

But then we only have Jay Rod left as our attacker on the bench... Hence why we need an attacking midfielder and someone who can play in any forward position (wing/striker)

Used properly, he could be one of the signings of the season. Very gifted footballer.

Used properly, he could be one of the signings of the season. Very gifted footballer.

Could say the same for many footballers though . Every signing could be the signing of the season .

The fact that no one else has really gotten much out of him doesn't fill me with confidence .

I honestly hope you're right though .

Maybe in some games play a 442 where effective? It is how Leicester won the league ;)

Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Redmond Hojberg Davis Tadic

Long Austin

That first 11 should be capable of top 10.

But then we only have Jay Rod left as our attacker on the bench... Hence why we need an attacking midfielder and someone who can play in any forward position (wing/striker)

Personally I think that team would struggle to get in the top 10. LCFC played 4 4 2 in an unconventional way if you like, giving away possession, defending tightly with defenders who rigidly hold position, hitting long balls early etc. I can't see that team doing that..eg Cedric would push up..would Redmond give enough cover for him?

I don't know how good Hojberg is but expecting him to dominate games-both defensively and creatively ( which he'd need to do with regularity in that formation) would be a big ask! I think Rom has to start next to him to give a solid platform.

I think he has. But, you are right, Norwich fans have always described him as good but inconsistent. In my opinion he is an excellent signing if he has been bought to replace Juanmi but not as a replacement for Mane. Redmond scored 11 goals in 112 appearances for Norwich and 7 in 62 appearances for Birmingham, so he averages 1 goal every 10 games, which means we shouldn't expect more than 3 or 4 goals a season from him.

That's a bit of a disingenuous way of looking at it. If you combine the minutes he's played across two divisions (Champ and Prem), and divide it by the goals he's scored, it's really one goal in six games...and that is a truer reflection of where he's at. One goal in seven if focusing on the Prem...which belies his improving record...1 goal every 4.3 games last season. And to be honest, I hadn't realised that he scored so well last year in *that* side (note, he scored 6 last year)

That's a bit of a disingenuous way of looking at it. If you combine the minutes he's played across two divisions (Champ and Prem), and divide it by the goals he's scored, it's really one goal in six games...and that is a truer reflection of where he's at. One goal in seven if focusing on the Prem...which belies his improving record...1 goal every 4.3 games last season. And to be honest, I hadn't realised that he scored so well last year in *that* side (note, he scored 6 last year)

Not really. He was dropped from Norwich's starting lineup a few times but all of the details are here:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-redmond/leistungsdaten/spieler/129078/plus/0?saison=2013

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-redmond/leistungsdaten/spieler/129078/plus/0?saison=2014

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-redmond/leistungsdaten/spieler/129078/plus/0?saison=2015

Players usually improve at Southampton but Redmond's never really shown himself to be much of a goal scorer so I certainly wouldn't expect him to provide anywhere near as many goals as Mane would have this season. But, he certainly should be more than capable of replacing Juanmi.

I still hope we bring in a new striker before the end of the summer and it's quite possible we will.

I don't want to be another whining voice on here, but I personally prefer to keep the potentially interesting threads like this one 'clean' and keep the unbased speculation and discussion in their own threads (and there are many for just that).

Agreed, this thread is for potential transfer targets, not for which is the best formation to play with the players who are already here....it's getting tedious.

Not really. He was dropped from Norwich's starting lineup a few times but all of the details are here:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-redmond/leistungsdaten/spieler/129078/plus/0?saison=2013

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-redmond/leistungsdaten/spieler/129078/plus/0?saison=2014

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-redmond/leistungsdaten/spieler/129078/plus/0?saison=2015

Players usually improve at Southampton but Redmond's never really shown himself to be much of a goal scorer so I certainly wouldn't expect him to provide anywhere near as many goals as Mane would have this season. But, he certainly should be more than capable of replacing Juanmi.

I still hope we bring in a new striker before the end of the summer and it's quite possible we will.

Since others are complaining of this thread being derailed, and rather than delve into minuters per goal, etc, etc, I shall simply pose a rhetorical question, how does a 1 in 10 player manage to score 6 Premier league goals in a single season without having played 60 league games? :S

Edited by Donatello

As I said the other day, they're not desperate to sell and he's not desperate to move, certainly not to Watford. He's looking at a Top 10 in Europe Club, he'd probably be about as interested in Saints as he evidently is about Watford.

No club is going to offer them mega buck until he plays again anyway, then there's the ANC.

Alex Crook reckons we are just about done in the market and that we are kidding ourselves

http://www.espnfc.com/club/southampton/376/blog/post/2916384/southamptons-lack-of-spending-making-for-an-uneasy-summer

If we were done then it would be a concern as we are clearly weaker right now than at the end of last season.

But we aren't done.

Crook commentates online for TalkSport and writes in the Daily Star. That speaks volumes. He is the south coast Moose.

I'm not overly worried if we don't invest any more in the team. That isn't to say I don't think there are areas we can strengthen, but at moment my own opinion is that it will be very hard to match last seasons achievement by virtue of other clubs performing to their expected level and our Europa League challenge. Add to that a crazy transfer market and I am comfortable with the pragmatic approach of investing in our current squad via new contracts and padding out the squad with Academy prospects.

There is something more fulfilling as a supporter when we give a young homegrown player a chance. I would rather know they aren't good enough than be left wondering. And it's important to safeguard that opportunity in the modern game as Saints are slowly carving out a very good position. We are starting to see top prospects at top clubs question their future. Man City are on the verge of losing one of their best young English players because he doesn't think the club will give him a chance. It is happening at Chelsea too. They are starting to see through the promises they are made when they sign big contracts having done very little in the game. If Saints can be that club that keeps the pathway clear then we become a more attractive proposition all the time. It's really important right now to show that - more than ever.

That is not to say I think there should be blind faith in kids and we see the team suffer, but in a season when we will need our largest ever squad I am far more intrigued by the approach of giving kids a chance than padding out the squad. That said, we know that the funds are there if the club see a deal that is right for them in the market. To lose Mane, Pelle and Wanyama and bring in Redmond and Hojbjerg and get VvD, Forster, JWP, Davis, Bertrand and Long sign new deals feels ok - it's better the devil you know at the moment and allows us to build in a far more planned manner than patching up the team each season.

Lastly on the matter of goals - until we see how Puel intends to play and assess the fitness of Austin and Jay Rod we won't know if the goals we have lost from the team are easily replaced. But Jay Rod and Austin deserve a chance.

I'm not overly worried if we don't invest any more in the team. That isn't to say I don't think there are areas we can strengthen, but at moment my own opinion is that it will be very hard to match last seasons achievement by virtue of other clubs performing to their expected level and our Europa League challenge. Add to that a crazy transfer market and I am comfortable with the pragmatic approach of investing in our current squad via new contracts and padding out the squad with Academy prospects.

There is something more fulfilling as a supporter when we give a young homegrown player a chance. I would rather know they aren't good enough than be left wondering. And it's important to safeguard that opportunity in the modern game as Saints are slowly carving out a very good position. We are starting to see top prospects at top clubs question their future. Man City are on the verge of losing one of their best young English players because he doesn't think the club will give him a chance. It is happening at Chelsea too. They are starting to see through the promises they are made when they sign big contracts having done very little in the game. If Saints can be that club that keeps the pathway clear then we become a more attractive proposition all the time. It's really important right now to show that - more than ever.

That is not to say I think there should be blind faith in kids and we see the team suffer, but in a season when we will need our largest ever squad I am far more intrigued by the approach of giving kids a chance than padding out the squad. That said, we know that the funds are there if the club see a deal that is right for them in the market. To lose Mane, Pelle and Wanyama and bring in Redmond and Hojbjerg and get VvD, Forster, JWP, Davis, Bertrand and Long sign new deals feels ok - it's better the devil you know at the moment and allows us to build in a far more planned manner than patching up the team each season.

Lastly on the matter of goals - until we see how Puel intends to play and assess the fitness of Austin and Jay Rod we won't know if the goals we have lost from the team are easily replaced. But Jay Rod and Austin deserve a chance.

Good post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk