Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

As poor as City's, Everton's, Utds etc then.

We will wait out for the players we really want, as we have done with VVD and Toby in recent years.

I do get irritated by people who just want us to spend someone elses money. Just like a load of impatient spoiled brats.

We're lucky we're run as we are run, bloody lucky. Check out Hull, Newcastle, Cardiff, Leeds (the list goes on). We could have so easily ended up in the hands of nutters, but we should be grateful with the position we're in.

Is there no in between in your world? I've not seen anyone we should go out and pay crazy money.

We have proven to be very well run, I am trying to remain patient until the end of the window.

It is hard as a fan losing some of your best players every year, but we have recruited very well for the most part. What concerns me a little this year is that the noises from the trusted side of the press are suggesting a new RB and GK and that's it.

Having lost key men in Pelle, Mane, VW plus a couple of others we are definitely light as it stands.

Think Redmond was a good signing to add to the squad, lad from Bayern sounds promising but don't really know too much about him. Maybe a bit much to ask them both to replace the Mane and VW.

We have received very good fees + record sponsorship takings + TV deal. My expectation was to sign 2-3 quality players as well as promising ones.

Board have done great to get the majority of players to sign long term deals but I bet you some of those will be available for transfer in the summer, that's what we do with this business model.

Our CM is quite heavy but lacks a top player imo. I can't see us trying to get one though.

I think we still need a RB to compete with Cedric.

A striker to replace Pelle (need 4 ST imo)

A very creative #10

GK

Proper Mane replacement who can play as a 10, winger and striker.

Don't think it will happen unfortunately.

Thing is, part of the excitement of supporting your team is seeing your newly signed players, it's all well and good saying we don't need anyone and that may be the case, but it hardly helps build excitement and anticipation for the new season. Imagine making a big money signing, the excitement in the city would gp through the roof. Then again we may still do that

We have proven to be very well run, I am trying to remain patient until the end of the window.

It is hard as a fan losing some of your best players every year, but we have recruited very well for the most part. What concerns me a little this year is that the noises from the trusted side of the press are suggesting a new RB and GK and that's it.

Having lost key men in Pelle, Mane, VW plus a couple of others we are definitely light as it stands.

Think Redmond was a good signing to add to the squad, lad from Bayern sounds promising but don't really know too much about him. Maybe a bit much to ask them both to replace the Mane and VW.

We have received very good fees + record sponsorship takings + TV deal. My expectation was to sign 2-3 quality players as well as promising ones.

Board have done great to get the majority of players to sign long term deals but I bet you some of those will be available for transfer in the summer, that's what we do with this business model.

Our CM is quite heavy but lacks a top player imo. I can't see us trying to get one though.

A very creative #10

GK

Yep, pretty much tallies with my thoughts at this point.

I suspect we will sign a backup GK, creative No.10 type and possibly a RB before the window closes. Personally, I think if we added another striking option to that I'd be pretty happy, if still a little worried about loss of power in midfield, but as you say, can't see any more signings in that area. Hopefully the likes of JWP and Clasie will step up more this season given the opportunity.

Hojbjerg is miles better than Wanyama. Wait and see. Redmond replaced Juanmi. I'm really cringing at this 'meltdown' / show of impatience by my own fellow saints fans... who seem to have learnt nothing from the past 7 years of incredible progression? Some posters on here need to do themselves a favour (for your own sanity) and just wait until the window is shut and the game against Watford kicks off. Don't fill your minds with negativity, focus on things that really matter.... Like the epic saints song that the players have recorded! COYR

I'd say it's a little early for statements like that, but certainly hope you're right! Haven't seen enough of him yet to make any real judgement, but suspect he will be a different type of midfielder with different strengths?

I don't see much evidence of a major "meltdown" this summer from saints fans, just a bit of natural concern at this stage that we look weaker as a squad than at the end of the season. As you say, I agree everyone needs to be patient and wait and see what we've got come the end of the window.

I don't think we will sign another RB - we have Cedric and Martina who do a perfectly capable job and indeed are getting better for their time with Saints. The defence is sorted with reasonable players eager to play in reserve. There'll be no new signings here.

In midfield we have a glut of players waiting for their chance including the likes of Reed for example on the fringes - either he needs to get game time or leave for pastures new and if that was in the plan for him, surely it would have happened by now? We have signed Hojbjerg - a very good player who will actually be more capable of replacing Morgan rather than Wanyama...he just needs a little time to adapt, but has the advantage of a pre-season. We've got Davis, JWP, Romeu and Clasie. So who do you not play? There'll be no new signings here.

In attack we have J-Rod and Austin both expecting more game time this season now they've had a chance to rest and mend. We have Tadic and Redmond both expecting more game time. Then we have Long who in signing a new deal tends to suggest he has been told he is 'the main man' in attack. Perhaps optimistic from the clubs point of view, but then there are U-21's looking for an opportunity to break through also. Who do you not play in a front line of 3? While my view is that this opens up a big risk of lack of goals, I am fast becoming convinced that there is no plan to add to the striker/attack element of the team also or at least certainly not a senior known player.

The model remains the same. With two new additions and the likes of Romeu and Clasie showing improved form in the latter part of last season, the team appears settled. It could be argued that the biggest doubt hangs over the management/coaching team - we've yet to see exactly what a difference Puel & Co will make - negative or positive - especially under pressure when things start getting tough and plan B/C/D is needed.

I don't think we will sign another RB - we have Cedric and Martina who do a perfectly capable job and indeed are getting better for their time with Saints. The defence is sorted with reasonable players eager to play in reserve. There'll be no new signings here.

In midfield we have a glut of players waiting for their chance including the likes of Reed for example on the fringes - either he needs to get game time or leave for pastures new and if that was in the plan for him, surely it would have happened by now? We have signed Hojbjerg - a very good player who will actually be more capable of replacing Morgan rather than Wanyama...he just needs a little time to adapt, but has the advantage of a pre-season. We've got Davis, JWP, Romeu and Clasie. So who do you not play? There'll be no new signings here.

In attack we have J-Rod and Austin both expecting more game time this season now they've had a chance to rest and mend. We have Tadic and Redmond both expecting more game time. Then we have Long who in signing a new deal tends to suggest he has been told he is 'the main man' in attack. Perhaps optimistic from the clubs point of view, but then there are U-21's looking for an opportunity to break through also. Who do you not play in a front line of 3? While my view is that this opens up a big risk of lack of goals, I am fast becoming convinced that there is no plan to add to the striker/attack element of the team also or at least certainly not a senior known player.

The model remains the same. With two new additions and the likes of Romeu and Clasie showing improved form in the latter part of last season, the team appears settled. It could be argued that the biggest doubt hangs over the management/coaching team - we've yet to see exactly what a difference Puel & Co will make - negative or positive - especially under pressure when things start getting tough and plan B/C/D is needed.

I've been thinking the same.

5 players all wanting to start in the front 3 - Long Austin JRod Tadic Redmond

5 players all wanting to start in mid - Davis Romeu Clasie JWP Hojbjerg (+Reed)

Defence is sorted with depth unless the club wants to sell someone and upgrade them.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a GK and that's it. It's a solid squad with options. We're not going to challenge for CL but we can have a decent go at EL and aim for top 7 in the league while knocking off a lot of that £60m club debt.

Four strikers?

Yes feel we need 4 seniors in total.

Last year we had 5 but not sure they were all available at the same time. Long, Pelle, Mane, Austin, Jrod

Also had Juanmi on the books.

Now down to 3 and tbh little worried about jrod and Austin's fitness.

Gallagher has potential but not had the best 2 seasons (feel for him), would love to see him come good on loan.

I think we shouldn't forget that Toby, Mane and VVD were all signed on the last day. They have been some of our best players the last 2 seasons

Great point and why I am not massively concerned, but reports we are nearly done a little worrying imo

I just want to know the club are willing to spend big, rather than profiting from sales every year. I don't want signings for the sake of it, or overspending but a huge net income in a transfer window is pretty unique these days. We've lost our best attacker, and one of our best strikers. We get some posters saying it's fine Austin was the Pelle replacement and so on, but it's pretty obvious we're in a weaker position that last season and with more games. Someone like Boufal could replace Mane hopefully, it needs to be a vaguely exciting attacker as we're lacking flair and creativity. A big signing there also makes Redmond an extra player, rather than a cheap replacement. I think he'll be a good signing, he just doesn't need the pressure of replacing someone far better than him.

We don't want to see Saints slipping down the league, but it's fair to imagine Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool and potentially even a side like Stoke will be stronger this season. Even if happy with our team, I don't think anyone can say we're stronger, surely?

We have more than £40m of debt in the last financial statements. And the owners haven't taken any dividends, so every penny we have received has stayed in the club.

It's disappointing not to get all your players in for a complete pre-season, but when you consider that 2 of our existing players haven't even returned to training yet, I don't think there's any need to get despondent/angry that our transfer business hasn't concluded yet. The transfer window is always played out right up until the last minutes and I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least a couple more incoming (plus 1 or 2 more going out, either for a fee or on loan). I know it's frustrating not hearing what's going on, but if that is the way we have to do things to beat other clubs and tie up some tasty transfers then so be it :)

So far I think we've done good business

"Saints do remain on the lookout for another right back but it is understood that they have no interest in Tottenham’s Kieran Trippier, despite reports to contrary yesterday.

Also, rumours that they are set to swoop for Monaco striker Valere Germain are understood to be wide of the mark."

I usually look forward to the transfer window - this year though bas been so boring being a Saints fan - no rumours - hardly anyway and I feel the squad is way to small and at least 3-4 more players i needed - youth is not always the answer. I´m not complaining but the lack of news is not making me any happier.

It is purely impatience, but it's understandable. We will only wait until the right players are available at the right price. I think we will sign a couple more, but it might be late in the window. We've not done a lot wrong in the last few windows, so we shouldn't be doubting Les just yet.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Still think we are going to end up with Bentekesaurus.

0% chance we spend £30m on Benteke - probably going to West Ham after they fail with all their other striker options.

We are probably 3-4 years away, if we keep progressing, from being able to spend £30m on a player.

FOXES BID FOR KAPUSTKA

Leicester have made a £5.25m bid for Poland’s 19-year old winger Bartosz Kapustka, according to Sky sources.

The midfielder was one of Poland’s most talked about players during Euro 2016 after starring in their win over Northern Ireland.

SSN HQ understands Leicester made an enquiry to his club side Cracovia during the Euros and have now submitted a bid.

Leicester face competition for Kapustka’s signature with clubs in the Premier League, Germany, Spain and the Netherlands all registering an interest.

:(

0% chance we spend £30m on Benteke - probably going to West Ham after they fail with all their other striker options.

We are probably 3-4 years away, if we keep progressing, from being able to spend £30m on a player.

And everyone else will be paying £50 million for a player. We just don't spend big.

Final day deal...20m plus add on's as they want to get rid ;)

Can't see WHU having Carroll and Benteke.

And everyone else will be paying £50 million for a player. We just don't spend big.

Agreed, but i wasn't saying its a negative thing we don't spend big. It really doesn't equal success, it just shows your not particularly well organised and don't know what you want - in recent years united have obviously been the best at doing this (Fellaini, Rojo, Depay, ADM, Schweni etc.). Part of me is looking forward to seeing Everton and West Ham dump money on dross after they lose their top tier targets and feel the need to prove that they'll spend the money (Aranautovic and Moussa Sissoko for £50m Bargin!).

I reckon we're waiting for another club to complete some business before we can make our big signing from them.

I am not in the least ITK and I'm talking about Ox. There is a more than 50% chance that this is total bullsh*t.

Or 50% true.

I honestly think the club are pretty happy with the squad. Like it or not Redmond is clearly Mane's replacement and PEH is clearly taking Victor's spot ( different types of player but similar position). Pelle's replacement was always Austin (same position different style of play).

I'm pretty sure the club want to use the under 21s as the back up much more than Koeman was prepared to.

The club also seem to be spending this summer tying current players and staff down to long contracts rather than bringing in loads of new faces.

So we could well be done this summer. I could see is bringing in another one ( maybe two) if the club think there is a good deal to be done but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't do any more business

I honestly think the club are pretty happy with the squad. Like it or not Redmond is clearly Mane's replacement and PEH is clearly taking Victor's spot ( different types of player but similar position). Pelle's replacement was always Austin (same position different style of play).

I'm pretty sure the club want to use the under 21s as the back up much more than Koeman was prepared to.

The club also seem to be spending this summer tying current players and staff down to long contracts rather than bringing in loads of new faces.

So we could well be done this summer. I could see is bringing in another one ( maybe two) if the club think there is a good deal to be done but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't do any more business

I don't know why people keep saying this, when Le Goddard posted that Redmond was Juanmi's replacement.

There is literally more than a whole month for transfer business to continue. CP only came in a few weeks ago...

A very creative #10

GK

Pretty much echoes my sentiments.

The contract for players is great, the two signings are decent, if unproven.

But that does not get away from the fact we are 3 quality players down from last years squad and we have not replaced those players, let alone improved the squad and we need to be improving the squad if we want to keep improving. You can't sit still with your squad.

Look at the clubs directly around us last year, Liverpool, Stoke, West Ham, Man Utd, Everton, 3 of those already have recruited well.

We also sitting on around £35 - 38 million of transfer sales, we have probably cleared several of highest wage earners in Osvaldo, Gaston, Wanyama, Pelle etc. so that should free up wages for the new deals, there is the new TV deal and we have a new main sponsor.

The money coming into the club this year has probably never been higher and the club is in probably it's best position for 30 years.

I don't want spend for spends sake, but the rumours of them being fairly happy with the squad are worrying considering the position we are in.

Excellent post, sums it all up very well.

Pretty much echoes my sentiments.

The contract for players is great, the two signings are decent, if unproven.

But that does not get away from the fact we are 3 quality players down from last years squad and we have not replaced those players, let alone improved the squad and we need to be improving the squad if we want to keep improving. You can't sit still with your squad.

Look at the clubs directly around us last year, Liverpool, Stoke, West Ham, Man Utd, Everton, 3 of those already have recruited well.

We also sitting on around £35 - 38 million of transfer sales, we have probably cleared several of highest wage earners in Osvaldo, Gaston, Wanyama, Pelle etc. so that should free up wages for the new deals, there is the new TV deal and we have a new main sponsor.

The money coming into the club this year has probably never been higher and the club is in probably it's best position for 30 years.

I don't want spend for spends sake, but the rumours of them being fairly happy with the squad are worrying considering the position we are in.

I'd agree with that. Pretty fair and reasonable summary.

Currently a poor window. Another golden season and failure to build upon it in the close period. How much dosh do we want to pocket year on year between transfer take and TV monies?

As poor as City's, Everton's, Utds etc then.

We will wait out for the players we really want, as we have done with VVD and Toby in recent years.

I do get irritated by people who just want us to spend someone elses money. Just like a load of impatient spoiled brats.

We're lucky we're run as we are run, bloody lucky. Check out Hull, Newcastle, Cardiff, Leeds (the list goes on). We could have so easily ended up in the hands of nutters, but we should be grateful with the position we're in.

Not sure why stating the obvious is so worthy on scorn on this forum just because it has a mildly negative context. Also wtf are you mad. Everton are yet to sell any star players (we've sold Pelle, Wanyama and Mane) and united have spent some serious dosh on quality players. Likewise city are having a productive summer.

So in comparison to the three teams you picked we have sold 3 key first team players and replaced them with young, unproven and still developing players.

The simple fact remains, year on year we improve... then instead of really seizing that moment to build a special team, we instead gut the team to make a bit of profit and buy cheap again. Yeah generally it works... but we could have had a fantastic team over the years and quite possibly be better than we are now and have won a lot more!! Regardless, there is nothing wrong with highlighting the fact that saints are not spending the dosh, we had the 14th highest wage bill last season (ugly inside) and currently our first team is a lot weaker than last years; in fact the squad is weaker full stop at the moment. Personally I think it would be remiss of saints fans to not be concerned at the current squad relative to last years. It would in my honest opinion be completely unacceptable to sell 3 first team players for significant money, pocket record TV monies, and then end the summer weaker. Hence flagging it at a concern and using the word "currently" at the start of my post.

This place is infested with people that get on their high horses the second anyone posts anything that even hints at questioning the club. Insane. Have to keep them on their toes.... and a fan base that just toes the line every summer ends up like Arsenal's... Laps it up but actually goes nowhere whilst continuing to pay the board's pockets some rather nice dosh.

Not sure why stating the obvious is so worthy on scorn on this forum just because it has a mildly negative context. Also wtf are you mad. Everton are yet to sell any star players (we've sold Pelle, Wanyama and Mane) and united have spent some serious dosh on quality players. Likewise city are having a productive summer.

So in comparison to the three teams you picked we have sold 3 key first team players and replaced them with young, unproven and still developing players.

The simple fact remains, year on year we improve... then instead of really seizing that moment to build a special team, we instead gut the team to make a bit of profit and buy cheap again. Yeah generally it works... but we could have had a fantastic team over the years and quite possibly be better than we are now and have won a lot more!! Regardless, there is nothing wrong with highlighting the fact that saints are not spending the dosh, we had the 14th highest wage bill last season (ugly inside) and currently our first team is a lot weaker than last years; in fact the squad is weaker full stop at the moment. Personally I think it would be remiss of saints fans to not be concerned at the current squad relative to last years. It would in my honest opinion be completely unacceptable to sell 3 first team players for significant money, pocket record TV monies, and then end the summer weaker. Hence flagging it at a concern and using the word "currently" at the start of my post.

This place is infested with people that get on their high horses the second anyone posts anything that even hints at questioning the club. Insane. Have to keep them on their toes.... and a fan base that just toes the line every summer ends up like Arsenal's... Laps it up but actually goes nowhere whilst continuing to pay the board's pockets some rather nice dosh.

Chill, dude. You'd think we were fighting relegation each season with that kind of attitude and analysis.

I don't know why people keep saying this, when Le Goddard posted that Redmond was Juanmi's replacement.

There is literally more than a whole month for transfer business to continue. CP only came in a few weeks ago...

Don't see it Juanmi hardly needs replacing given his contribution to the squad and if someone is needed one of the under 21s can probably contribute more than Juanmi ever did.

Personally I have no problem with Redmond as Mane's replacement I think he is a good player with the right attributes to replace Mane with a bit of coaching. if people are holding out for a big money Mane clone coming in I think they will be very disappointed.

Totally agree with this analysis. If waving the chequebook about to accelerate success was good enough for Pompey when they were in the Premier League then its blinkin' well good enough for us too....

Edited by trousers

So in comparison to the three teams you picked we have sold 3 key first team players and replaced them with young, unproven and still developing players..

I know you didn't highlight them initially, but City and United are not teams we should be using as barometers to measure our business (in terms of spending) :lol:

Edited by Donatello

Totally agree with this analysis. If waving the chequebook about to accelerate success was good enough for Pompey when they were in the Premier League then its blinkin' well good enough for us too....

Really don't get the mentality on this, all I am advocating is that the summer so far has led to a "currently" (!!!) weaker team... and that I would expect the club to spend the money we clearly have to strengthen year on year to the best of our ability. Currently we have lost 3 players in Mane, Wanyama and Pelle, and not adequately replaced 2 of them (mane/pelle). We are weaker this summer so far, and all around us teams are strengthening. So not unreasonable to expect saints to do the same.

Really don't get the mentality on this, all I am advocating is that the summer so far has led to a "currently" (!!!) weaker team... and that I would expect the club to spend the money we clearly have to strengthen year on year to the best of our ability. Currently we have lost 3 players in Mane, Wanyama and Pelle, and not adequately replaced 2 of them (mane/pelle). We are weaker this summer so far, and all around us teams are strengthening. So not unreasonable to expect saints to do the same.

Why don't you think we've replaced Pelle? Simply because the replacement arrived before the departure?