Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

There was an article in the Times over the weekend which alluded to how agents expect that most deals in any transfer window, especially in the PL, happen towards the end of the transfer window. Add to that, disruption caused by the Euros. Then factor in that we have a new Manager who needs to assess his squad when players involved in the Euros are returning late, before he presses the button on any further transfers, then a hiatus in signings is entirely understandable.

I agree entirely with your post and entirely with the way in which the club are proceeding. Some fans on here are pathetic.

Seems that way when we sell sometimes

What's wrong with that. If we know they're going why not get rid at the earliest convenience?

Why should the club waste its money paying a player for an extra few weeks, paying a team of people to support and train that player for that time, and paying to move that player from place to place for pre-season activities.

Let their new employers pay that.

How much was saved by offloading Mane, Wanyama, Pelle et al early in the window? I'd say a million at least.

Yes it's a pittance in the overall scheme of football finances, but a penny saved is a penny earned.

The transfer market has gone stupid with some pathetic overpriced players.

I expect the situation with us is either:

(1) We've agreed loan or permanent deals but they need to replace them first.

(2) We are now looking at our option number 5,6,7 as we won't pay over the odds.

(3) We agreed a deal with one player but his agent is a greedy bastard.

(4) A player was due to sign but got abducted by aliens

According to the paper this morning we have agreed a fee for a Belgian attacking midfielder and his agent is already in the country sorting out the deal.

The player is flying in today.

Could quite possibly be Dennis Praet?

I would personally prefer Ziyech, but Praet would be an excellent addidtion

He doesn't say he's an attacking midfielder, just 'all action', which would describe box-to-box type player?

Yeah, sounds more like Your Tielemans or a player of similar style. Then again we have been linked with Praet for two summers running, so it would not be a shock if it is Praet.

Which paper?

Yeah, sounds more like Your Tielemans or a player of similar style. Then again we have been linked with Praet for two summers running, so it would not be a shock if it is Praet.

From a positional sense, Praet makes the most sense. I think Tielemans is deeper lying.

Praet fits the profile as I believe his contract has a year to run so we might be able to get him for less ££'s. His YouTube clips aren't quite as rock & roll as Ziyech, but he looks a fine player.

I'd expect the Belgian media to be all over this if it is true.

Tielemans sounds like an incredible player and fits the description Nixon gave. Not only would he be a statement of intent on his own. The fact he normally plays deeper in the midfield (an area I think we are already strong in) would blow all these "they are only looking for a backup keeper and a RB" story's out of the water.

Tielemans sounds like an incredible player and fits the description Nixon gave. Not only would he be a statement of intent on his own. The fact he normally plays deeper in the midfield (an area I think we are already strong in) would blow all these "they are only looking for a backup keeper and a RB" story's out of the water.

Would be happy with either or both!

Alex McCarthy coming in from Crystal Palace... £2m - i'll take that.

If thats true then hopefully its a signal that Gazza will be loaned out.

He has a lot of potential but won't fulfil it sat on our bench. He is 24 and only has 40 pro games under his belt.

70%? Crikey what do you think the average age of our fan was back then?
I was 16 and everybody looked old aged to me in those days. I expect they were only in their 20's lol, even so it was 40 years ago and and even the ones in their late 20's will be in their late 60's

That's a good choice as Back-Up keeper... Worth landing this one.

As for Bastian - I would be happier with Tielemans who seems to have greater potential

Rough values on Transfermarkt.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/youri-tielemans/profil/spieler/249565 - £11.9m

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dennis-praet/profil/spieler/129588 - £7.65m

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/samuel-bastien/profil/spieler/289510 - £680k

I think I'll have less faith in McCarthy than Gazzaniga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you don't think McCarthy working under Watson will improve? If you think McCarthy is worse than Gazza you havent watched many u21 games this year.

Gazza needs game time away from here.

Still hoping we are going to sign a proper CAM/playmaker able to score goals. Needed one for a long time and would really be the difference. Agree with most everyone else that we need to replace at least some of the goals we let walk out the door. The black box seems stuck on the setting for hardworking box to box midfielders with low goal scoring ability.

Still hoping we are going to sign a proper CAM/playmaker able to score goals. Needed one for a long time and would really be the difference. Agree with most everyone else that we need to replace at least some of the goals we let walk out the door. The black box seems stuck on the setting for hardworking box to box midfielders with low goal scoring ability.

Let walk out the door?

Let walk out the door?

Not the best way to phrase it admittedly but for whatever reason we didn't put up much of a fight for Pelle and Mane when both had time left on their contract. (I don't doubt that's for good reason, maybe just for money or maybe both were arseholes?) Either way we had some power to stop them leaving this season if we wanted to hold onto them but we didn't.

Did any of you see McCarthy play for Palace?

I'd rather stick with Gazza, who was decent when called upon last season.

Alex McCarthy was considered one of the brightest GK prospects on a par with Butland , Lost his way a bit yes......but considering who our goalkeeping coach is I would expect him to have had an influence on this .

Did any of you see McCarthy play for Palace?

I'd rather stick with Gazza, who was decent when called upon last season.

The club clearly don't agree with you if they're willing to spend 2 million to make sure he gets nowhere near the first team.

Could have kept Steck for £1m, he was happy to stay, but we didn't want to pay that much, so odd that we are now paying £2m for a keeper who is not as good.

One's a 26-year-old homegrown player and the other one is 34 in September, not homegrown and would take a higher wage - at an estimate.

Could have kept Steck for £1m, he was happy to stay, but we didn't want to pay that much, so odd that we are now paying £2m for a keeper who is not as good.

Oh behave, Stekelenburg was quite poor for us and has been for years, and he's never going to improve at his age. McCarthy is still young and was great for Reading. If we are buying him then Dave Watson will be behind this and he'll get him back on track. I'll be much happier with our back-up keeper than in any recent years with this transfer.