Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

2 from Ziyech, Boufal and Tello and we'd have a brilliant squad. Fck it, sign all three.

Pray tell, how are you fitting Tadic/Redmond/Austin/JRod/Long/Ziyech/Boufal/Tello into the match day squad?

And I'll extend that Q to anyone who's suggesting we should have 8+ forward thinking players, given we seem to be playing a formation which utilises 3.

Edit: Removed Davis, because I'm happy to accept that he's may become one of the three CMs :scared: :p

Edited by Donatello

Nope, I'm supporting the right club. The club has done very well in the Liebherr era but I'd like to see more ambition.

What is our ambition though ? I think the board are happy just to finish above the bottom three. Anything above 17th is a bonus.

If we don't sign a few more quality players I think we will be relegated this season.

What is our ambition though ? I think the board are happy just to finish above the bottom three. Anything above 17th is a bonus.

If we don't sign a few more quality players I think we will be relegated this season.

0.00001/10

Nope, I'm supporting the right club. The club has done very well in the Liebherr era but I'd like to see more ambition.

What is ambition to you though? It doesn't always equal $$$$$$$. I agree with the post above, we've shown long-term ambition - a lot of it. New training ground, massive emphasis on the backroom setup at the club, finances spent on bespoke ways of doing things, investment in young players and the academy.

To me, that is huge long-term ambition. Short-term ambition, i.e WHU and Everton and their £30m striker hunts may get you 1 or 2 exciting seasons, but it can all come crashing down as quickly as it was put up. Showing ambition by being sustainable and planning for the long-term is a much bigger recipe for success.

The last two seasons have gone to prove that the club has it spot on behind the scenes, the investment in that area is showing on the playing field. I think I support a very ambitious club and one which lives within it's means.

Redmond might well be in a year or so yes. Until then, he clearly isn't.

Personally I would rather have Redmond. Mane was inconsistent and probably knew we were a stepping stone. Excellent when he wanted to be. Average mostly.

in Redmond we have a young, hungry, lighting fast, twinkle toed winger who is looking to flourish. I think he is going to be a good egg. #moreeffectivethanMane #destinedforliverpool

Personally I would rather have Redmond. Mane was inconsistent and probably knew we were a stepping stone. Excellent when he wanted to be. Average mostly.

in Redmond we have a young, hungry, lighting fast, twinkle toed winger who is looking to flourish. I think he is going to be a good egg. #moreeffectivethanMane #destinedforliverpool

do you not think Redmond will use us as a stepping stone?

no chance of him going to liverpool or one of the other glory clubs and double his wages at least in say, 2 years?

What is ambition to you though? It doesn't always equal $$$$$$$. I agree with the post above, we've shown long-term ambition - a lot of it. New training ground, massive emphasis on the backroom setup at the club, finances spent on bespoke ways of doing things, investment in young players and the academy.

To me, that is huge long-term ambition. Short-term ambition, i.e WHU and Everton and their £30m striker hunts may get you 1 or 2 exciting seasons, but it can all come crashing down as quickly as it was put up. Showing ambition by being sustainable and planning for the long-term is a much bigger recipe for success.

The last two seasons have gone to prove that the club has it spot on behind the scenes, the investment in that area is showing on the playing field. I think I support a very ambitious club and one which lives within it's means.

Can't argue with that, but I would pose this question: do we have a squad capable of finishing in the top 6 of the Prem, the last 4 of the Europa, FA and League Cups during the 2016-17 season? That is the level of ambition that I feel the Club should be showing right now. That is assuming that no further player purchases will be made. And if the answer is no, then I don't think the club is being ambitious enough. In My Humble Opinion

do you not think Redmond will use us as a stepping stone?

no chance of him going to liverpool or one of the other glory clubs and double his wages at least in say, 2 years?

Point taken. If there was a spectrum for of 'steppingstonability', i feel Mane in his tansition from Salzburg to the PL would be higher and would have taken anyone in order to showcase himself to big clubs, whereas I feel Redmond might actually be keen to develop with a club known for being good at that. I think Redmond is more motivated and a better fit and will likely play better more often.

Maybe I'm being hippy.

We are looking to make 2 more (non youth team) signings by the 9th of august. Relax people!

Ooh interesting.

Willing to give any information if you have any? The positions, or the league the potential player could come from?

May as well give some names too :lol:

Thanks Guan :)

We are looking to make 2 more (non youth team) signings by the 9th of august. Relax people!

One of those will be backup GK, most likely McCarthy I guess.

Interesting to see if we still pursue a RB. Would say Martina is better backup on the right than Targett is on the left so perhaps Puel thinks he doesn't need one.

Edited by Slugger

Does the two include a GK? And assuming the Bastien rumour counts as youth?!

Hopefully a AM/Striker and CB!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First time in the group stages, if you want to be pedantic.

So you're not interested in the Europa then, too dull for you? Don't you fancy the odd trip to somewhere interesting or a famous ground like the San Siro? Am I dull in looking forward to that? Perhaps you've got the attention span of a goldfish and need constant stimulation, but do tell us what the club should be doing. We'd welcome some positive thoughts, not just an early teens moan of 'I'm bored'...

Where on earth did I say I am not interested in the Europa!!

On the contrary I want us to win every game we play be it in the Europa cup, the Premiership, the domestic cups, even a friendly, everything!!, my concern is that due to an apparent change of priorities we are not putting a team together that will compete well in any of these.

Btw, to answer your playschool style putdowns, I am a few months off of 60 and was going to games at The DEll from the age of six, I am surprised at you suewhistle, I normally look forward to your posts, you obviously consumed too much vino collapse in those mountains of yours.

Where on earth did I say I am not interested in the Europa!!

On the contrary I want us to win every game we play be it in the Europa cup, the Premiership, the domestic cups, even a friendly, everything!!, my concern is that due to an apparent change of priorities we are not putting a team together that will compete well in any of these.

Btw, to answer your playschool style putdowns, I am a few months off of 60 and was going to games at The DEll from the age of six, I am surprised at you suewhistle, I normally look forward to your posts, you obviously consumed too much vino collapse in those mountains of yours.

I agree with you that I want to win EVERY game. But your "change of priorities" that is apparent to you, isn't quite so apparent to me. As with my previous reply to you, can I ask you whether you could explain rather than just write up these throw away lines. How have our priorities changed? From what to what? Nothing personal, but it is far too common and somewhat frustrating that on forums, people make these grand statements without actually putting any meat on the bones.

It can't be that. That would be two reserve signings after selling mane, pelle and wanyama. I think people would be really fcked off with that.

I'm sure they wouldn't leave the attack like this anyway. Plus, two in by the 9th doesn't mean we can't get another one or two by deadline day

I think you should be prepared to be ****ed off then...

The club have already replaced Mane, Pelle and Vic despite what some fans keep telling themselves personally I'm cool with the replacements even if they are not direct clones of those that left.

Not if it's just 2 signings by august 9th, one or two more after then. Our 'bigger' signings tend to be done late on in the window.

I think generally fans are pretty pleased with whats happening and its not a case that we need stacks of players. Aside from a GK I would happily only see one more signing: a very good attacking player.

Otherwise its hard to argue our attack will be lesser in quality and options than in May and thats not a situation you would be thrilled with.

Otherwise in the squad it is fine IMO.

Even if we avoid the obvious argument about the replacement not being good enough, would we not have wanted to have improved anyway? Why have standards dropped so much?

Surely if mane and wanyama had stayed we'd have looked to improve our team and move forward? Others will improve, last year was a poor league so it seems unlikely we'd be top 6 again even having kept them. So now we're fine with cheap replacements and no additional players to improve the team?

Are they cheap replacements? Redmond and PEH both cost about the same as Mane and Victor did for us to buy originally (around the 12 million bracket) were you expecting the club to buy replacement players for the same money we sold them for? because that hasn't happened in previous windows. Austin cost less than Pelle but had 6 months on his contract.

Had Mane and Victor signed new contacts I'm pretty sure we would have bought in very little this summer other than a GK and possibly a RB upgrade for Martina especially when you consider the clubs stated aim is to bring through youth. The club clearly stated through the Echo they believe they have two quality players in every position I'm damn sure lots of fans will disagree but that doesn't change the clubs point of view.

Are they cheap replacements? Redmond and PEH both cost about the same as Mane and Victor did for us to buy originally (around the 12 million bracket) were you expecting the club to buy replacement players for the same money we sold them for? because that hasn't happened in previous windows. Austin cost less than Pelle but had 6 months on his contract.

Had Mane and Victor signed new contacts I'm pretty sure we would have bought in very little this summer other than a GK and possibly a RB upgrade for Martina especially when you consider the clubs stated aim is to bring through youth. The club clearly stated through the Echo they believe they have two quality players in every position I'm damn sure lots of fans will disagree but that doesn't change the clubs point of view.

I see your point.

but we have replaced our best player with one who struggled to get in the Norwich side for parts of last season.

that is anything but champions league stuff.

We would laugh at other sides if they did that.

Redmond is a decent signing though

Edited by Batman

Based on the money available and the current market, yes they are quite cheap options. Hopefully they'll turn out to be inspired signings.

Yes, they are. I don't care what we paid for mane. I care about improving on the squad we ended the season with.

That's all most clubs want to do and what I'll judge us on.

Redmond is a good signing as an extra signing and a very disappointing one if that's it to replace our best attacker. Said it when linked, before mane went and again now. The lad can be good and has more chance with a bit of help around him and less expectation.

Still, despite a few fans suddenly being content with goi backwards, I don't think the club will be and I imagine we will get a couple of big signings by the end of August.

Well I'm glad that's sorted then. 'I'll scream and I'll scream until I make myself sick' - why are there so many bedwetting hysterical tarts on here? Substantially weaker squad my arse.......we have a very good squad and just how many players per position is anyone expecting? How do you keep players happy when they are not playing?

We have a very strong midfield and anyone who has forgotten that Mane went MIA for 6 months last season is deluded. If you cannot get excited by what you have seen of Redmond so far it's probably because a) hes not foreign b) he didn't cost 20 million.

Were you one of the hysterical tarts over the last 2 seasons as well whining about going backwards?

In case anyone has forgotten we have signed 6-7 of our key players to very long term contracts which is progression in its own right.

Austin long and tello strikers. Tadic, boufal, Redmond wingers or no10, ziyech no10. Tello also winger.

I'd just call that having decent options. Rodriguez I won't count until I see him not look like he's running through treacle.

Again, you've not really defined how you're fitting 8+ players into a match day 18 (three starting spots). And JRod has to count by virtue of the fact he exists :p /we're paying him a reasonable salary, I bet (although I understand your meaning). I just can't see how you can have five attack minded players on the bench, so two (assuming three on the bench) players would be spending the season in the reserves by default. Decent options is fine and all that, but it has to fit.

Yes, they are. I don't care what we paid for mane. I care about improving on the squad we ended the season with.

That's all most clubs want to do and what I'll judge us on.

Redmond is a good signing as an extra signing and a very disappointing one if that's it to replace our best attacker. Said it when linked, before mane went and again now. The lad can be good and has more chance with a bit of help around him and less expectation.

Still, despite a few fans suddenly being content with goi backwards, I don't think the club will be and I imagine we will get a couple of big signings by the end of August.

I don't think anyone is content with what we have right now but most are confident in the assumption that at least one more attacker and probably a keeper will be in before the end of the window. I'd also be massively underwhelmed if Redmond was replacing Mané but if he was infact replacing Juanmi/Gaston suddenly he looks pretty decent.

I think generally fans are pretty pleased with whats happening and its not a case that we need stacks of players. Aside from a GK I would happily only see one more signing: a very good attacking player.

Otherwise its hard to argue our attack will be lesser in quality and options than in May and thats not a situation you would be thrilled with.

Otherwise in the squad it is fine IMO.

Agree :thumbup:

Well I'm glad that's sorted then. 'I'll scream and I'll scream until I make myself sick' - why are there so many bedwetting hysterical tarts on here? Substantially weaker squad my arse.......we have a very good squad and just how many players per position is anyone expecting? How do you keep players happy when they are not playing?

We have a very strong midfield and anyone who has forgotten that Mane went MIA for 6 months last season is deluded. If you cannot get excited by what you have seen of Redmond so far it's probably because a) hes not foreign b) he didn't cost 20 million.

Were you one of the hysterical tarts over the last 2 seasons as well whining about going backwards?

In case anyone has forgotten we have signed 6-7 of our key players to very long term contracts which is progression in its own right.

what a weird post. Which 6 months did Mane go missing from?

did mane go missing the same time Redmond was sat on the bench at Norwich?

Adrian spent most of last season proclaiming that we needed Gaston Ramirez, that we wouldn't hit any kind of prolonged form, and that it'd be a nothing season, if memory serves ;)

Just a goal keeper and a right back though?

be a bit crap if so

Why? Guan said "by 9th August". He doesn't rule out further signings after that.

In the last 2 seasons we signed some very important players in the final days of the window.

1st September 2014 - Toby Alderweireld

1st September 2014 - Sadio Mane

1st September 2015 - Virgil van Dijk

Of course it would be great to have all signings done in early July. The club would obviously prefer that, but transfers are a three-way negotiation and the selling club and the player (and his agent) often want things to drag late into the window to get the best possible deal.

Why? Guan said "by 9th August". He doesn't rule out further signings after that.

In the last 2 seasons we signed some very important players in the final days of the window.

Of course it would be great to have all signings done in early July. The club would obviously prefer that, but transfers are a three-way negotiation and the selling club and the player (and his agent) often want things to drag late into the window to get the best possible deal.

We like to leave our big signings right to the end of the window as these tend to be on the highest wages so the penny pinching board can save paying the big money out over the summer when they're seeing no ROI. Its a risking strategy and we've got lucky the last 3 years but we've also missed out on some top targets due to the sake of 5-6 weeks wages. We will pay for this strategy sooner rather than later, our luck will run out.

did mane go missing the same time Redmond was sat on the bench at Norwich?

To be fair, Redmond did start 24 games last year, it's not like he went AWOL. Out of interest, does anyone know who was supplanting Redmond in the game he didn't start?

To be fair, Redmond did start 24 games last year, it's not like he went AWOL. Out of interest, does anyone know who was supplanting Redmond in the game he didn't start?

not even a nano second would we have suggested Redmond was in the same league as Mane last season.

now all of a sudden, he is.

I like the redmond signing, think he has potential but he was largely average in a very poor team last season

We like to leave our big signings right to the end of the window as these tend to be on the highest wages so the penny pinching board can save paying the big money out over the summer when they're seeing no ROI. Its a risking strategy and we've got lucky the last 3 years but we've also missed out on some top targets due to the sake of 5-6 weeks wages. We will pay for this strategy sooner rather than later, our luck will run out.

If you honestly think that is the reason and not the one I outlined, then you are a bigger fool than I first thought.

I agree with you that I want to win EVERY game. But your "change of priorities" that is apparent to you, isn't quite so apparent to me. As with my previous reply to you, can I ask you whether you could explain rather than just write up these throw away lines. How have our priorities changed? From what to what? Nothing personal, but it is far too common and somewhat frustrating that on forums, people make these grand statements without actually putting any meat on the bones.

Here's how I see it. Several reasons have been spouted as to the reasons Koeman left us for a team with lower league status. Money is an obvious one, but I think we could have come close to Evertons offer if we wanted to, but I also wonder if the reason why we let him go is that he did not buy into the youth policy to the extent Reed and co wanted him to.

Koeman wanted to build upon last season exploits which necessitated the club spending some serious money especially with VW, Mane and Pelle probably leaving. Reed and co wanted to go back to the old ways of concentrating on the youth policy which has rewarded us with huge profits in the past but which might adversely affect top 6 aspirations.

We have obviously gone for a Koeman replacement who is happy to buy into the youth policy and dismissing the likes of Pelligrini who didn't fit their agenda. Lets face it, Puel has come close on a couple of occasions but he is not a winner.

So basically in a nutshell I think Reed and co are prepared to sacrifice our heady heights that have been achieved of late for that of vast profit.

Make some really good signings and I might change my tune but I cant see it happening, McCarthy as a backup goalkeeper is an example.

not even a nano second would we have suggested Redmond was in the same league as Mane last season.

now all of a sudden, he is.

I like the redmond signing, think he has potential but he was largely average in a very poor team last season

I'm not suggesting he is. Few have, as far as I can see.