Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Slightly different profile of player there. Unfair to compare.

Also wonder how you are judging Bastien's potential?

Both Tielemans and Bastian are aged 19 - The former is a mainstay in the Anderlecht midfield and already called up at senior level for Belguim. Bastien sent on loan to Serie B Avellino.

I think Tielemans is already fulfilling his potential when a similar aged Bastian seems well behind him currently.

Could have kept Steck for £1m, he was happy to stay, but we didn't want to pay that much, so odd that we are now paying £2m for a keeper who is not as good.

McCarthy is capable of saving shots, Stek isn't.

Good old irrelevant Pompey comparison. Maybe we should spend absolutely nothing just to be sure?

I know its trousers being laughable with over the top and irrelevant comparisons again. In addition, a better comparison for some on here is where the pompey massive's blind trusting of the board got them. On the one hand you have people that want the club to always be improving... on the other hand you fans that like to remind us of our level, the glass ceiling and will be delighting in the "i told you so" moments when we don't achieve what most of us know we are capable of.

I know its trousers being laughable with over the top and irrelevant comparisons again. In addition, a better comparison for some on here is where the pompey massive's blind trusting of the board got them. On the one hand you have people that want the club to always be improving... on the other hand you fans that like to remind us of our level, the glass ceiling and will be delighting in the "i told you so" moments when we don't achieve what most of us know we are capable of.

'Given that the club have improved their position for seven seasons in a row now I assume that these people will be giving a big thumbs up to the board based on their excellent proven record of continuous improvement.

False dichotomy.

Not the best way to phrase it admittedly but for whatever reason we didn't put up much of a fight for Pelle and Mane when both had time left on their contract. (I don't doubt that's for good reason, maybe just for money or maybe both were arseholes?) Either way we had some power to stop them leaving this season if we wanted to hold onto them but we didn't.

You think we could have kept Pelle and stop him earning 260k a week??.....don't think I agree with you on that.

Mane will be missed as he was so unpredictable but 5 months without scoring and 12 goals last season 8 in last 8 games, we need to replace that same as nearly everyone else thinks really.

Alex McCarthy for £2m agreed according to Sky sports

Big step up for him. 4th choice at Palace to 2nd choice for us.

IMO, not as good as any of the other 'keepers we were linked with. Probably our 3rd or 4th choice I would imagine. Heyho.

'Given that the club have improved their position for seven seasons in a row now I assume that these people will be giving a big thumbs up to the board based on their excellent proven record of continuous improvement.

We improved 4 seasons in a row with the previous board, and 2 (that's 6 not 7) with the current board. Will give a massive thumbs up when the current board match their predecessors :smug:

IMO, not as good as any of the other 'keepers we were linked with. Probably our 3rd or 4th choice I would imagine. Heyho.

Agree that it doesn't fill me with excitement, but at the same time it's hard to get excited about reserve goalies! Dave Watson would have seen McCarthy briefly when he was called up to the England squad in the summer of 2013, perhaps he saw something then & feels he can unlock his potential?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We improved 4 seasons in a row with the previous board, and 2 (that's 6 not 7) with the current board. Will give a massive thumbs up when the current board match their predecessors :smug:

OK the first season of improvement was in a lower division and I agree you could argue that we finished lower (7th in L1) than the season before (23rd in the Champ) so technically we didn't improve our position. But we went from a horrible "gettingspankedwithPoortvliet&Wotteincharge" type 23rd to a exciting 7th, loadsa goals and a cup win. So I'm giving the old board 5 seasons and calling it 7 :-)

SAINTS IN McCARTHY TALKS

Southampton are in talks with Crystal Palace over a deal for goalkeeper Alex McCarthy, Sky sources understand.

No deal has been agreed but we understand the player would be keen on the move to St. Mary's.

Southampton are looking for a keeper to replace Martin Stekelenburg, who joined Everton this summer.

Palace, meanwhile, have already signed Steve Mandanda this summer to compete with Wayne Hennessey and Julian Speroni.

Scouts watching Rueben Samedo from Sporting.

I remember the name from earlier this summer. 6'2" tall. 22 year old centre-back.

The football season may not have officially started yet, but the scouts are already back working. Southampton have reportedly sent some of their emissaries to watch Ruben Semedo of Sporting.

This is not the first time that the Saints’ interest in the defender is reported, and now A Bola says the club are just keeping an eye on him.

At the time the first speculation was published, it was said that Southampton would pay around €15m for the 22-year-old.

Semedo has a contract until 2022, with a €45m release clause. He’s not an essential player for the Sporting squad, especially after the former Sunderland defender Sebastian Coates joined the club last winter.

If joining Southampton, Semedo would play alongside two other Portuguese players in the back four: Cedric Soares and José Fonte.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-officials-portugal-possible-transfer-reported-portuguese-press/?

Scouts watching Rueben Samedo from Sporting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A quite delicious €45m release clause in his contract. Good old Portuguese football.

Wikipedia tells me he gets sent off a lot. And doesn't seem to have played much, for anyone.

I have completed my research and have concluded that he is sh it.

FC Twente Latest ‏@FCTwenteLatest

Five clubs from around Europe concretely interested in Ziyech. Offers have been made. #FCTwente

^ These guys re-tweeted a Dutch video (that won't play in this country) with somebody from Twente confirming it.

#ZiyechWatch

Disagree, he was decent at Reading and has potential. Would be a good signing.

A quite delicious €45m release clause in his contract. Good old Portuguese football.

Wikipedia tells me he gets sent off a lot. And doesn't seem to have played much, for anyone.

I'm sold. If we spend that much on a player I will get an inflated sense of self worth, I will be able to feel like saints are a big club, I can laugh at Everton and use words like "statement of intent". Weather he is actually any good or not is less important...

^ These guys re-tweeted a Dutch video (that won't play in this country) with somebody from Twente confirming it.

#ZiyechWatch

Didn't realize quite how much better Ziyech's stats are compared to Wijnaldum, who looked decent in the premier league after some doubt over the quality of the Dutch league.

A far bigger deal is made of release clauses than it should, they are mandatory according to Spanish & Portuguese law.

All it means is that they have to accept a bid of that amount, not that they won't accept less.

The absence of release clauses like with our players is effectively the same as having a release clause set at infinity.

The player is a bit raw and makes a few mistakes at times but has everything to be a top centre back. If we want somebody who will initially be an understudy and will eventually take over from Fonte, he fits the bill and is about as good as we can get.

Played a lot this year too, Sporting brought him back from his loan in January and immediately became first choice over Paulo Oliveira who has already been called up to the national team.

Besides, we no longer have a player who will get sent off three times in the same season.;)

OK the first season of improvement was in a lower division and I agree you could argue that we finished lower (7th in L1) than the season before (23rd in the Champ) so technically we didn't improve our position. But we went from a horrible "gettingspankedwithPoortvliet&Wotteincharge" type 23rd to a exciting 7th, loadsa goals and a cup win. So I'm giving the old board 5 seasons and calling it 7 :-)

OK, I'll go with that, and save my massive thumbs up until the current board have improved 5 seasons on the trot :)

I was happy to acknowledge their achievements after 4 though (even 3 would be remarkable, were it to happen).

Disagree, he was decent at Reading and has potential. Would be a good signing.

You disagree that he is 4th choice at Palace behind Mandanda, Speroni and Hennessey, or that he would be 2nd choice at Saints, or that he isn't as good as the two Irish 'keepers (RoI and NI number 1's)?

You disagree that he is 4th choice at Palace behind Mandanda, Speroni and Hennessey, or that he would be 2nd choice at Saints, or that he isn't as good as the two Irish 'keepers (RoI and NI number 1's)?
Is he 4th choice? Seems to be playing a fair bit of their pre-season.

Played 7 games for Palace last season which isn't huge but wouldn't make him fourth choice. Got a Palace fan at work and he really rated McCarthy and thought he was best of the bunch for them.

Lol don't you get the release causes yet? These numbers in Spain and Portugal don't really mean you have to pay that..look it up on wiki!

Big fan of yours though!

Lol don't you get the release causes yet? These numbers in Spain and Portugal don't really mean you have to pay that..look it up on wiki!

Big fan of yours though!

It's very sweet you replying to everything I post and even sweeter you feel the need to explain things I already know.

Hint: Portuguese release clause fees have been discussed a million times on this forum, we don't need to go into the obvious technicalities every single time now.

But yeah, there's definitely someone here who doesn't "get it". "Lol".

OK, I'll go with that, and save my massive thumbs up until the current board have improved 5 seasons on the trot :)

I was happy to acknowledge their achievements after 4 though (even 3 would be remarkable, were it to happen).

Overlooking that improving in the Prem is a significantly greater challenge, naturally.

God this summers transfer window is dull, I'm not even excited by the names rumoured which are normally wide of the mark anyway.

Dull manager, dull signings, dull ambition, dull kit, dull season ahead and I will no doubt get the normal reaction from the dull 'Saints can do no wrong brigade' on here. Bring it on chaps, you have every right to brown nose your club and I have every right to say how I see it.

God this summers transfer window is dull, I'm not even excited by the names rumoured which are normally wide of the mark anyway.

Dull manager, dull signings, dull ambition, dull kit, dull season ahead and I will no doubt get the normal reaction from the dull 'Saints can do no wrong brigade' on here. Bring it on chaps, you have every right to brown nose your club and I have every right to say how I see it.

(Some) dull supporters.

Seriously, if some so called supporters are so discontent with the club and the way they do things, why carry on supporting?

Sorry but what's dull about a manager who's known for improving yound players, has won one of the top divisions in Europe and took a team to a Champions League final?

What's dull about signing young players with massive potential including one from the Bundesliga champions?

How can you say we have dull ambition when it's clear that our ambition is to constantly improve?

What's dull about a red and white kit... were you expecting a glow in the dark number with flashing lights and fireworks?

And finally what the hell is dull about our first season in the Europa?

:mcinnes:

Did you send back your season ticket over the car park charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go support the hammers then

I'll even buy you a tube of bubbles so you fit in, while you have a whale of a time in the olympic park with other fans supporting a massive world class club, chatting about all those transfer rumours and tasty expensive signings

You're entitled to your opinion but bloody hell if I felt like that I'd just give up on football and do something else with my weekends.

Edited by doddisalegend

Our ambition is obviously to go back to buying kids and then selling them for huge profits, thats fine if your sole ambition is to make money but it is not going to improve our league aspirations and is more likely to be detrimental, and is one of the reasons why our one of our best managers for decades probably moved on.

But thanks for the replies chaps, the content was expected and you did'nt fail to disappointment.

Our ambition is obviously to go back to buying kids and then selling them for huge profits, thats fine if your sole ambition is to make money but it is not going to improve our league aspirations and is more likely to be detrimental, and is one of the reasons why our one of our best managers for decades probably moved on.

But thanks for the replies chaps, the content was expected and you did'nt fail to disappointment.

Nothing to do with ambition, it's reality...players want to move to bigger clubs. You either buy into the model or you are going to be disappointed and as another poster said, may as well find something else to do. This isn't Football Manager.

We've been doing that and improving so moot point. Also lots of our experienced decent players have signed contracts keeping them here for years to come so they see something good within the club. Maybe they should listen to you as you're better positioned than them and know best.

Yep all about opinions but i suggest that you

go away and have a good cry....might make you feel better ;)