Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

You must have missed the 'should' in there and there was also a large slice of hyperbole. I know that Matty (48/49 98%) was exceptional but his record was not as good as Ricky's (for us 31/31 100%). If they can be so consistent then why can't others?

Very good point. If MLT and Lambert can out away 99% of penalties between them, why can't every other player?

Also, is Messi, Neymar and Saurez can score 100 goals between last season, why can't every other front 3?

And keepers, eh. If a keeper can keep a clean sheet in 1 match, why can't the lazy useless **** do it in every game.

I want every striker to score every chance, ever keeper to keep out every strike. Every defender to win every ball, every midfielder to make every pass and every tackle and every dribble.

Why would a European Champion be second-string to a kid from Spurs who played 6 times last season ???

I wouldn't think Cedric will be a second string, but I do wonder whether they might consider playing him further forward given he is fairly creative, and has an excellent first touch..

Trippier is a very decent right back - I was impressed by him the last time Burnley played at SMS (The game that Fraser knackered his knee) and he was their one player who caused us problems.. Fast, fit and a good delivery of a cross - Defends pretty well too..

I was just speculating that they might be looking at a different way of strengthening rather than lashing out loads of money on a right sided forward player, the quality of which might not be there.. Certainly I am not particularly convinced by all this Boufal talk !

Suppose the bad side of Leicester winning the league is that they seem to have a similar transfer philosophy and i'd expect them to win these sort of transfer battles against us this season as they can offer champions league football.

Suppose the bad side of Leicester winning the league is that they seem to have a similar transfer philosophy and i'd expect them to win these sort of transfer battles against us this season as they can offer champions league football.

I dunno. That would be a pretty short-termist reason for a player to join Leicester. They aren't going to be qualifying again any time soon. It's not like joining a European heavyweight where you will get the chance to test yourself in CL year on year.

It will probably come down to wages, largely, not the chance of a couple of group games against a Spanish/German team.

Funnily enough I was listening to some Scottish football on the radio on Saturday, and they happened to mention that Raith Rovers are just waiting for international clearance, then they can sign Rudi Skacel.

I like Trippier - Fine player with an excellent cross (better than Cedric's in my opinion).

I wondered whether the management feel Cedric can player further forward on the right hand side, he is a very accomplished player who could play in most positions and by doing this, could free up the right back slot for another acquisition, like Trippier.

Might be a better acquisition doing things this way than searching for another wide right (and much more expensive ) player...

By the way - Please let us sign Kaputska ;0)

I think Paul Black Box Mitchell had Trippier lined up for a move to Saints before he went to Spurs. It's a bit strange that Spurs should already consider him surplus to requirements. But, I still think he'd be a good signing for us. I guess Van Dijk was Mitchell's last signing for us and we were lucky to get him as Spurs decided to take Alderweireld instead. Perhaps Trippier and Dele Alli would have come here around the same time if Mitchell hadn't left. Mitchell's usccess rate is not 100% but he seems to be getting some very good players for Spurs. Janssen and Wanyama are excellent additions.

I dunno. That would be a pretty short-termist reason for a player to join Leicester. They aren't going to be qualifying again any time soon. It's not like joining a European heavyweight where you will get the chance to test yourself in CL year on year.

It will probably come down to wages, largely, not the chance of a couple of group games against a Spanish/German team.

It may be short termist to join Leicester over Man Utd for that reason but to join Leicester who have champions league football this year and could make an argument for competing for europe going forward over a similar sized club like Saints who are in europa league and will be battling for same europa league places may make that short term bonus more appealing.

I wouldn't think Cedric will be a second string, but I do wonder whether they might consider playing him further forward given he is fairly creative, and has an excellent first touch..

Trippier is a very decent right back - I was impressed by him the last time Burnley played at SMS (The game that Fraser knackered his knee) and he was their one player who caused us problems.. Fast, fit and a good delivery of a cross - Defends pretty well too..

I was just speculating that they might be looking at a different way of strengthening rather than lashing out loads of money on a right sided forward player, the quality of which might not be there.. Certainly I am not particularly convinced by all this Boufal talk !

Good point about playing Cedric farther forward. He could benefit from that the same way Bale did. Cedric has great pace and, although he is an excellent tackler, is a bit short for a defensive role, especially when dealing with high crossfield balls. Cedric in front of Trippier would give us a strong right flank.

That seems crazy. He was immense just a year ago. If they're letting him go he could do a job for 90% of the teams around. Must be on 150k a week plus though so guess that's the problem.

Barcelona signed him for €34 million, plus €7 million in add-ons, just 1 year ago, and his wages would certainly be more than we're prepared to pay. If he comes to the Premier League, it's more likely to be to another club which spends that sort of money. This speculation reminds me of the Ibramovich rumour.

Arda Turan? Barca are open to him leaving, and the only reported solid interest is a loan deal to Besitkas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'd be walking the well trodden Barcelona > Southampton player transfer route.

Seems about as likely as Koeman actually putting on the boots again and covering for the loss of Stones at centre half until they sign a replacement.

Seems about as likely as Koeman actually putting on the boots again and covering for the loss of Stones at centre half until they sign a replacement.

Absolutely, FCB are our feeder club... :)

Never, ever forget the Dane from Spain.

ronnie+ekelund.jpg

:D

Good point about playing Cedric farther forward. He could benefit from that the same way Bale did. Cedric has great pace and, although he is an excellent tackler, is a bit short for a defensive role, especially when dealing with high crossfield balls. Cedric in front of Trippier would give us a strong right flank.

Statistically Cedric's defensive contribution last season (tackles, blocks, interceptions etc.) was a lot more than his offensive contribution (assists, goals, key passes, pass success, dribbles, crosses etc.)

Same in the Euros, did a lot more defending than he did attacking.

Not sure he'd be suited to playing further forward as defending seems to be more of his strong point and he was whoscored.com's highest rated right back in the Premier League last season.

Statistically Cedric's defensive contribution last season (tackles, blocks, interceptions etc.) was a lot more than his offensive contribution (assists, goals, key passes, pass success, dribbles, crosses etc.)

Same in the Euros, did a lot more defending than he did attacking.

Not sure he'd be suited to playing further forward as defending seems to be more of his strong point and he was whoscored.com's highest rated right back in the Premier League last season.

Cedric gets high up the pitch pretty well, certainly did for Portugal.

Its just that when he gets there he doesn't seem to trust himself to beat anyone on the outside like Clyne did. I find it odd because he has plenty of pace, but tends to just pass the ball inside.

His attacking strength is the underlap run where he gets straight into a crossing position without having to beat anyone.

Think his caution has helped him. Plenty come into the premier league and look better going forward than defensively. He's been the opposite. I'd say the attacking side is easier to work on and no reason he can't have an excellent season. Really not worried about any of the defensive positions or competition there, just the creativity and goals in the team.

Wouldn't say he has looked overly secure defensively though, certainly not against the more physical wide players.

With an attacking fullback you forgive the odd error if they contribute going forward (like Kyle Walker) but sometimes Cedric was doing neither well.

He will benefit massively from the first season and confidence from the Euros but he can improve both aspects from what we saw last year, hence he lost his place to Martina.

He's normally a bit all over the place defensively, hopefully he will have learnt a lot from last season and can make the RB spot his this season. Martina is poor and was chosen (rightly) ahead of him last season.

Is Martina actually that poor? He is more solid than flashy but I wouldn't say he ever really looked poor.

Is Martina actually that poor? He is more solid than flashy but I wouldn't say he ever really looked poor.

I think many consider him poor because (a) Twente fans laughed and told us he was crap when he signed and (b) he cost us a fraction of a $chlong. His actual performances for us are irrelevant.

Stoke and us have been looking at Moussa Marega.....yep never heard of him either.

Striker from Porto......played in France.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he signed for Vitória on loan earlier in the year and with his poor club and goal record I would want him at saints.

When are we going to put some real lolly down and sign some quality.

Ziyech, Bas Dost, Trippier

How much profit have we made? Stop poncing around and get the chequebook out! Lookng at the squad our attack is weaker than a granny doing deadlifts.

When are we going to put some real lolly down and sign some quality.

Ziyech, Bas Dost, Trippier

How much profit have we made? Stop poncing around and get the chequebook out! Lookng at the squad our attack is weaker than a granny doing deadlifts.

d91e5fb1d14d2a0c9a178a53514bafc4.jpg

That weak?

If we are going to play 2 strikers and one behind (Tadic, Redmond) then I would suggest we need a striker rather than a creative midfielder as originally thought.

Still a Mane replacement as think he would have suited playing up front in this new system but not a Ziyech or Boufal type player as Tadic/Redmond will be earmarked for that role surely?

Currently a poor window. Another golden season and failure to build upon it in the close period. How much dosh do we want to pocket year on year between transfer take and TV monies?

As poor as City's, Everton's, Utds etc then.

We will wait out for the players we really want, as we have done with VVD and Toby in recent years.

I do get irritated by people who just want us to spend someone elses money. Just like a load of impatient spoiled brats.

We're lucky we're run as we are run, bloody lucky. Check out Hull, Newcastle, Cardiff, Leeds (the list goes on). We could have so easily ended up in the hands of nutters, but we should be grateful with the position we're in.

As poor as City's, Everton's, Utds etc then.

We will wait out for the players we really want, as we have done with VVD and Toby in recent years.

Don't think either of those sides have sold their star attacker.

Yet anyway in the case of Everton

@DanishFooty: Pione Sisto agreed personal terms to join Celta de Vigo.

Last season was already close to fruition, but Sisto decided to acquire more experience in Denmark before taking a leap to a more competitive league. However, after starting the season with his club and scoring 6 points, this nifty end of 21 years have decided to put an end to the Midtjylland , his current team.

Reports La Voz de Galicia, the operation could be around 6 million euros, while Celtic have offered 4.5. Negotiations will continue, without losing sight of other options and possible other suitors player, among which is Ajax or Porto . It is an offensive player profile, with great physical power that allows you to dribble the contrary. You can play the entire area of the attack, but likes the left flank, to penetrate and break down the middle with a pass or a shot from outside the area.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/celta-vigo/20160725/403461506838/celta-de-vigo-pione-sisto.html

Most recent translated article I can find related to him, if it's 6 million Euros that's a bargain surely? We would be able to blow them out of the water if we're interested.

Which we were according to this article back in March. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-join-transfer-chase-midtjylland-7519237

Currently a poor window. Another golden season and failure to build upon it in the close period. How much dosh do we want to pocket year on year between transfer take and TV monies?

Don't think either of those sides have sold their star attacker.

Yet anyway in the case of Everton

Mane will be replaced. And not many other clubs have signed up 6 first team players (7 including JWP) to long term contracts. I don't think that can be ignored