Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

then we simply cannot be as strong as we were last season, let alone strongER

at the mo

Again, I'm not suggesting we are. Few have, as far as I can tell.

Actually, if you want to be specific about it, it means we're not as good offensively. Cuco/Cedric will have improved with a season under their belts. The same can be said of Clasie/Romeu. Long, our best offensive player last year will almost certainly be starting from the off (surely *you* of all people recognise that will be an important change :p) And who's to say that our new fancy formation won't be conducive to bringing the best out of the all the players we have. A sum greater than our parts, so to speak.

In conclusion, just because Mane > Redmond, that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't have another great year, because Mane vs Redmond isn't the only factor in our success.

P.S Ultimately, and as you've qualified your statement, "at the mo".

In short, we play moneyball when signing or selling players. It makes sense for a club our size competing with bigger clubs and silly prices.

Even Madrid are considering getting sissoko rather than pogba on the view that the difference of the players is not great when they play at their best and that will pay 30million instead of 100 million. One is over rated the under rated or rated correctly on monetary terms vs end product.

When all said and done we are going to miss Mane, big time. His end-of-season form was the reason we finished in 6th. Just look at some of his goals. Exquisite, Klopp is no fool he has bought a game changer and we have lost one. Not criticising the Board here, they had no choice. I approve of the Redmond signing but not in a million years is he going to step into Mane's boots, more's the pity. As things stand, we will be mid-table next season, no more no less. You simply cannot lose players of the calibre of Mane and hope to improve.

If you honestly think that is the reason and not the one I outlined, then you are a bigger fool than I first thought.

The only fool round here is you pal, as you prove time and again. Think about it dumball, why would the player and agent want it dragging out? Certainly Mane and Van Dijk would have wanted the moves pushed through as they'd have got substantial pay rises. The agent would want it to happen as he'll get his cut. The only reason for it not to happen is so saints can keep the money in the bank longer saving a few quid along the way. Had we had Van Dijk involved in July we'd have progressed in Europe and got the four points we'd have needed to champions league qualification. Saving a few quid in wages has cost us Big time yet we never learn.

Here's how I see it. Several reasons have been spouted as to the reasons Koeman left us for a team with lower league status. Money is an obvious one, but I think we could have come close to Evertons offer if we wanted to, but I also wonder if the reason why we let him go is that he did not buy into the youth policy to the extent Reed and co wanted him to.

Koeman wanted to build upon last season exploits which necessitated the club spending some serious money especially with VW, Mane and Pelle probably leaving. Reed and co wanted to go back to the old ways of concentrating on the youth policy which has rewarded us with huge profits in the past but which might adversely affect top 6 aspirations.

We have obviously gone for a Koeman replacement who is happy to buy into the youth policy and dismissing the likes of Pelligrini who didn't fit their agenda. Lets face it, Puel has come close on a couple of occasions but he is not a winner.

So basically in a nutshell I think Reed and co are prepared to sacrifice our heady heights that have been achieved of late for that of vast profit.

Make some really good signings and I might change my tune but I cant see it happening, McCarthy as a backup goalkeeper is an example.

Koeman and the youths. Do you not think that his ignoring of them (I think that is a fair description) was him having his own self serving interests at heart rather than the clubs? If we can bring through a couple of players like Shaw/Chambers and sell for £20-30m then that is hugely important to us. You say that it is to bank the money, I say it is to further the aim to be self-sustaining and help reinvest in the squad. I look at the PL, and all I see are the clubs helping finance overseas clubs. Our balance of payments is hugely in deficit to overseas clubs, It does nothing for lower leagues nor grass roots.

As things are, we are still in credit with the academy. It is why I think Hojbjerg might have come to us, knowing that young players get a chance to improve. Of course there is a balance that needs striking and the club is more than aware of that and strikes it pretty well. There were many reports that parents did not want to enlist their kids with us knowing RK wasn't going to give them a crack at stepping up. That's a great shame. And that is why MP was the better manager, even if he finished 8th compared to RK's 7th and 6th.

Quite possibly.

What does success look like for saints in a season where city, Arsenal and spurs are all as strong as ever and Chelseautd and Liverpool are focuses purely on the league

I suggest a midtable position and some runs in cups flirting with a final/silverware would a be seen as success. Especially if we blood plenty of youth amongst our established players and turn a profit for future investment.

This is I think our basic business model.be we'll run and try and punch above our weight.

When all said and done we are going to miss Mane, big time. His end-of-season form was the reason we finished in 6th. Just look at some of his goals. Exquisite, Klopp is no fool he has bought a game changer and we have lost one. Not criticising the Board here, they had no choice. I approve of the Redmond signing but not in a million years is he going to step into Mane's boots, more's the pity. As things stand, we will be mid-table next season, no more no less. You simply cannot lose players of the calibre of Mane and hope to improve.

You seem very confident with that. Do you not recall how Mané played when he first came? The reaction from the supporters? I see Redmond ahead of him in that respect already. But then I see that people are more familiar with Redmond than they were with Mané, so are far too quick to write him off.

If you honestly think that is the reason and not the one I outlined, then you are a bigger fool than I first thought.

Oh dear......do you not do irony MLG? I think you will find that Turkish was taking the p**s out of the hysterical tarts on here that always seem to think the sky is falling in.

Back to an excellent previous comment - if the clubs aim is to have 2 quality players in every position - then for my money we are a right, left and centre attacking midfielder short ! (And arguably a Gk, CB and LB). I think the clubs own viewpoint is surely to have at least one quality player and either a decent back up or a flawed kid who they believe will become quality. i guess people's fear is with c 48 games if we don't get in a fair few players we need those back ups and flawed kids to produce when asked or we will have a disappointing season (which for me would be early cup exit and bottom 8).

Back to an excellent previous comment - if the clubs aim is to have 2 quality players in every position - then for my money we are a right, left and centre attacking midfielder short ! (And arguably a Gk, CB and LB). I think the clubs own viewpoint is surely to have at least one quality player and either a decent back up or a flawed kid who they believe will become quality. i guess people's fear is with c 48 games if we don't get in a fair few players we need those back ups and flawed kids to produce when asked or we will have a disappointing season (which for me would be early cup exit and bottom 8).

You won't find defenders better than Targett, Yoshida and Gardos willing to sit on the bench at Southampton. We probably won't find much better than Martina either.

You won't find defenders better than Targett, Yoshida and Gardos willing to sit on the bench at Southampton. We probably won't find much better than Martina either.

Absolute garbage. We finished 6th in the PL, are in Europe and can pay bigger wages than many other teams in Europe.

We have had better players than Gardos and Targett on the bench over the last few seasons and could definitely buy other good players to add to the squad if we wanted to.

I think you are seriously underestimating Redmond and you're also assuming he's directly replaced Mane....If there's one thing I've learnt in football...its don't ever use the words 'not in a million years' because you just can't predict it.

Do you think we will look to replace Mane, Le Goddard?

Mike Anstead ‏@mike_anstead

Januzaj, B-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Pereira, McNair, Blackett, Wilson, Keane all told to find new clubs #mufc

^ No idea if this is true, but any takers for any of these?

I still reckon there's a player in Januzaj.

Bit harsh on Targett. Is the LB situation the ideal? Top quality experienced no1 and an understudy of decent quality improving and needing the odd game?

Targett is fine as back up, although his better performances came at LWB when he didn't have to defend as much.

Point is, its such a cop out to say we wouldn't find good players who will be happy to sit on the bench.

This season someone out of JWP, Hojbjerg, Davis, Clasie and Romeu will start more games on the bench than in the starting team.

If you sign good players they have the belief they can get into the starting lineup when they get their chance. Players like Long, Martina and Romeu being good examples.

Targett is fine as back up, although his better performances came at LWB when he didn't have to defend as much.

Point is, its such a cop out to say we wouldn't find good players who will be happy to sit on the bench.

This season someone out of JWP, Hojbjerg, Davis, Clasie and Romeu will start more games on the bench than in the starting team.

If you sign good players they have the belief they can get into the starting lineup when they get their chance. Players like Long, Martina and Romeu being good examples.

The difference being we could have up to 5 midfielders midfielders on the pitch at any given time, depending on the formation we're playing. There will always be a chance for any of them to play any given game.

How many times does the number 2 LB get called upon. When would we ever send on an inferior LB late in the game, just for the sake of it? Only if Bertrand was injured or fatigued.

Mike Anstead ‏@mike_anstead

Januzaj, B-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Pereira, McNair, Blackett, Wilson, Keane all told to find new clubs #mufc

^ No idea if this is true, but any takers for any of these?

I still reckon there's a player in Januzaj.

Schweinsteiger has also got the chop (supposedly).

Funny how Januzaj was being courted and people saying that he should be signed up for England. He started off pretty well and then went Pete Tong.

Yes, more ambition. I see West Ham, Everton and even Palace trying to get to the next level, why aren't we?

I assume this is a wind up. If not, have you not noticed that we've got to the 'next level' every year since we ended up in league 1. The 'next level' for the clubs you mention is to get above us. Who would have imagined we'd be saying goes that 5 years ago?

Schweinsteiger has also got the chop (supposedly).

Funny how Januzaj was being courted and people saying that he should be signed up for England. He started off pretty well and then went Pete Tong.

My money is probably on a reunion with Moyes, although I'm sure he will have a ton of offers from abroad.

honestly??

with a man of your vast experience PLEASE tell me one season when we have wrapped up all out transfers by the end of July?:mcinnes:

Why do we have to leave transfers to the last minute, when there are several months to sort them out? It might save a bit on the summer wage bill, but it's like saying the pre-season training programme is irrelevant as any player can just walk in at the last minute and play as well as the ones who had the club's pre-season preparation. The club has got lots of money from the sales of Wanyama, Mane and Pelle, not to mention the 100 miillion plus PL money and our first Premier League game is in 2 weeks' time and if you believe the club's hype, 'the Black Box' is supposed to have our targets lined up months, if not years, in advance.

Why do we have to leave transfers to the last minute, when there are several months to sort them out? It might save a bit on the summer wage bill, but it's like saying the pre-season training programme is irrelevant as any player can just walk in at the last minute and play as well as the ones who had the club's pre-season preparation. The club has got lots of money from the sales of Wanyama, Mane and Pelle, not to mention the 100 miillion plus PL money and our first Premier League game is in 2 weeks' time and if you believe the club's hype, 'the Black Box' is supposed to have our targets lined up months, if not years, in advance.

Saints contact team X and put in bid for player A and its excepted.

Team X needs replacement for player A.

They agree a deal with team Y who also need to replace a player.

And so on, just like house buying in a chain.

Look at Arsenal?

Being linked with many players but they are over priced.

Once they finally get someone they will sell us OXY (example)

Don't be daft. You probably said the same when we sold Lallana. Yet, with that money, we bought Tadic and Mane - who we've just sold for £35m. You absolutely can afford to sell these players; it is lazy and naive to think there aren't better players elsewhere. Who had heard of Mane when we signed him?

Don't be daft. You probably said the same when we sold Lallana. Yet, with that money, we bought Tadic and Mane - who we've just sold for £35m. You absolutely can afford to sell these players; it is lazy and naive to think there aren't better players elsewhere. Who had heard of Mane when we signed him?

Liverpool. They decided he wasn't worth the £11m he was offered to them at... :lol:

The only fool round here is you pal, as you prove time and again. Think about it dumball, why would the player and agent want it dragging out? Certainly Mane and Van Dijk would have wanted the moves pushed through as they'd have got substantial pay rises. The agent would want it to happen as he'll get his cut. The only reason for it not to happen is so saints can keep the money in the bank longer saving a few quid along the way. Had we had Van Dijk involved in July we'd have progressed in Europe and got the four points we'd have needed to champions league qualification. Saving a few quid in wages has cost us Big time yet we never learn.

Can't think of a single reason why VVD wouldn't have left Champions League qualifiers playing Celtic to come to our Europa League qualifying Campaign in July. Must have been our penny pinching board I guess.

2014/15 turnover:

Man Utd £395

Man City £352

Arsenal £345

Chelsea £319

Liverpool £298

Spurs £196

Newcastle £129

Everton £126

West Ham £121

Aston Villa £116

Saints £114

This talk that we don't have to let our players go and can match wages with bigger clubs is naive. We can't. We earn about a third of the money Liverpool do. With so little we need to spread it evenly around the squad. If we put too many eggs in 1 basket the rest of the squad suffers. The method we use of buying in that £10-15m bracket to have a balanced squad is the only one likely to work. We'll continue trying to buy low sell high and hopefully grow closer to the big clubs.

2014/15 turnover:

Man Utd £395

Man City £352

Arsenal £345

Chelsea £319

Liverpool £298

Spurs £196

Newcastle £129

Everton £126

West Ham £121

Aston Villa £116

Saints £114

This talk that we don't have to let our players go and can match wages with bigger clubs is naive. We can't. We earn about a third of the money Liverpool do. With so little we need to spread it evenly around the squad. If we put too many eggs in 1 basket the rest of the squad suffers. The method we use of buying in that £10-15m bracket to have a balanced squad is the only one likely to work. We'll continue trying to buy low sell high and hopefully grow closer to the big clubs.

Thanks for that. Certainly shows the gap we are working with. We maybe able to catch a couple of the ones above but its doubtful given that villa have had a couple of poor seasons and West Ham have a new stadium that has cost them next to nothing.

Here's how I see it. Several reasons have been spouted as to the reasons Koeman left us for a team with lower league status. Money is an obvious one, but I think we could have come close to Evertons offer if we wanted to, but I also wonder if the reason why we let him go is that he did not buy into the youth policy to the extent Reed and co wanted him to.

Koeman wanted to build upon last season exploits which necessitated the club spending some serious money especially with VW, Mane and Pelle probably leaving. Reed and co wanted to go back to the old ways of concentrating on the youth policy which has rewarded us with huge profits in the past but which might adversely affect top 6 aspirations.

We have obviously gone for a Koeman replacement who is happy to buy into the youth policy and dismissing the likes of Pelligrini who didn't fit their agenda. Lets face it, Puel has come close on a couple of occasions but he is not a winner.

So basically in a nutshell I think Reed and co are prepared to sacrifice our heady heights that have been achieved of late for that of vast profit.

Make some really good signings and I might change my tune but I cant see it happening, McCarthy as a backup goalkeeper is an example.[/quote)

It's not Reeds policy it's Katarina following the wishes of her dad!

Who would you sign as a backup keeper?

Why are you ignoring the fact we offered Koeman a new contract....sort of blows your theory out of the water doesn't it.

FWIW I wanted Pellegrini too but will see what happens with CP before writing him off as a loser like you have above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We like to leave our big signings right to the end of the window as these tend to be on the highest wages so the penny pinching board can save paying the big money out over the summer when they're seeing no ROI. Its a risking strategy and we've got lucky the last 3 years but we've also missed out on some top targets due to the sake of 5-6 weeks wages. We will pay for this strategy sooner rather than later, our luck will run out.

That was especially the case with VVD, his wages were so high we forced him to sign a 6 year contract on lower wages just 8 months after he signed...

2014/15 turnover:

Man Utd £395

Man City £352

Arsenal £345

Chelsea £319

Liverpool £298

Spurs £196

Newcastle £129

Everton £126

West Ham £121

Aston Villa £116

Saints £114

I don't think many think we can match the clubs at the top of that list for wages.

But the figures for 16/17 should show much better comparable figures.

I don't think many think we can match the clubs at the top of that list for wages.

But the figures for 16/17 should show much better comparable figures.

True, we would've been closer 15/16 and closer again 16/17 but still a massive gap. Using Liverpool since they're the main ones taking our players, in 14/15 their matchday and commercial incomes were £59m & £116m respectively, compared to ours of £18m & £10m. So ignoring the TV deal (which they also get more TV games) they still earned an extra £147m. We earn a pittance from match tickets and sponsors. Our biggest income is the TV deal followed by selling players for profit.

Make some really good signings and I might change my tune but I cant see it happening, McCarthy as a backup goalkeeper is an example.[/quote)

It's not Reeds policy it's Katarina following the wishes of her dad!

Who would you sign as a backup keeper?

Why are you ignoring the fact we offered Koeman a new contract....sort of blows your theory out of the water doesn't it.

FWIW I wanted Pellegrini too but will see what happens with CP before writing him off as a loser like you have above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the Board wanted rid of Koeman, deep down his methods were not liked but they were duty bound to try and get him to sign a new extension because of his record. When Koeman then tried to play Everton and Saints off against each other we pulled the plug without a backward glance. A very similar position we were in with Alan Ball, who was popular with the fans, had kept us up, but the Board (concerned at the company he was keeping) wanted rid. Man City's interest was perfect timing for them. You can say the same about George Burley too, Scotland did us all a huge favour.

All our income will have gone up from those figures, TV money, match day money, sponsorship and remember we'll have some extra games this year as well, guranteed 3 home games, plus the Europa money isn;t vast but all helps bump our turnover by probably another £6-8 million.

Not to mention it's bit one sided to just show turnover without expenditure, Liverpool have a massively bloated squad of in a lot of cases over paid players. They have an old stadium to renew and upgrade, the first instalment of which is £50 million and that's the first instalment.

They have the likes of Henderson, Sturridge, Countinho, Firminho, Milner are all on £100 - 120k a week, Benteke barely playing on £140k a week, Ings, Markovic, Leiva are on like £60k a week. Thank to their terrible transfer policy they have players that play 7-8 games a season are getting £60k a week.

They have wasted a huge amount of their turnover advantage compared to us, huge amounts, they only made their first profit in like 7 years in 2015 because they sold Suarez for £75 million.

We have basically got rid of most of our bloat in wages (likes of Gaston and Osvaldo etc. off the books is probably £130k a week wages alone).

I'd like to think we'd never give the likes of a Milner or a Henderson £100k a week, but we can give that to select players who are worth it and key players with the new income. We just can't afford to throw away £60k a week to squad players.

I also do think people are putting way too much stock in Redmond, will be happy to be proved wrong but at the end of the day he is an inconsistent young player who struggled to hold down a place in relegated team last year. That is not a replacement for arguably are best player.

2 signings by 9th August fine, though disappointing if it's a right back and back up GK, two signings full stop for the whole window?

Very underwhelming and would mean a squad poorer than last year, when we should be improving the squad.

I think the Board wanted rid of Koeman, deep down his methods were not liked but they were duty bound to try and get him to sign a new extension because of his record. When Koeman then tried to play Everton and Saints off against each other we pulled the plug without a backward glance. A very similar position we were in with Alan Ball, who was popular with the fans, had kept us up, but the Board (concerned at the company he was keeping) wanted rid. Man City's interest was perfect timing for them. You can say the same about George Burley too, Scotland did us all a huge favour.

Out of interest FF, when you say the board did not like his methods, is that relating to his treatment of some of the player's?. Also, it was widely rumoured that Koeman said that as a club we lack ambition, is there any truth in this?.

2 signings by 9th August fine, though disappointing if it's a right back and back up GK, two signings full stop for the whole window?

Very underwhelming and would mean a squad poorer than last year, when we should be improving the squad.

Who says its those positions? I am sure one is a keeper but where does the right back only come from?

I also do think people are putting way too much stock in Redmond, will be happy to be proved wrong but at the end of the day he is an inconsistent young player who struggled to hold down a place in relegated team last year. That is not a replacement for arguably are best player..

The one thing Mané was not, was consistent. So we have at the very least replaced like for like on that count if Redmond does indeed turn out to be inconsistent.

Out of interest FF, when you say the board did not like his methods, is that relating to his treatment of some of the player's?. Also, it was widely rumoured that Koeman said that as a club we lack ambition, is there any truth in this?.

I can tell they did not like his public statement about the academy! Thats what the club is all about and to ignore the youth and stop from trainining with firsts etc

then can see why we may have been happy to let go.

Whether or not the academy are currently good enough is irrelevant the owner wants to use academy and use that to be self sufficient - hence us recruiting better palyers and allow next good crop to come through.