Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Where is Alpine?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We've sold him to the Everton message board for £2. Couldn't refuse the offer.

It might be worth avoiding joking about him, tbh. I seem to recall that he had a particularly nasty health problem a couple of years back which may have been ongoing. He's been posting on here very rarely over the last few months.

What's the obsession with everyone being someone's replacement? What about just improving the team?

Because losing players weakens the team and it would be nice to restore that strength!

Sky reporting that Leicester have agreed a £7.5m fee for that Polish lad, Kaputska.

We clearly haven't progressed for 7 years by just restoring strength. We've improved, expanded the squad, given young players chances, changed the way we play, adapted to new tactics and formations.

Yet on here one player leaves and people seem to think we need a clone.

Also, if Wanyama, Mane and Pelle had all wanted to stay and our squad was much the same as last season, wouldn't we all be hoping we'd invest to improve it anyway?

When was it an either-or?

Pretty difficult for Saints to replace a £35m player.

Not difficult at all. We bought a £35m player for £11.8m and a £12m player for £8m (Mané and Pellé). When those two came here, we had sold other players for inflated fees but the replacements have taken the team further up the league table. When SFC buys low and sells high they are the same players regardless of the price another club is prepared to fork out. Price is no guarantee of quality, the failures of Ramirez and Osvaldo for example, but overall the policy has worked well to the club's advantage and there is still plenty of money in the transfers fund to allow for more strengthening if Reed and Puel think it is necessary. The manager has only been in post for a month and the players only started returning for pre-season 3 weeks ago so the new coaching staff have had only a short time to assess the squad and consider where new players might be useful. As fans, we are naturally impatient for news but realistically, there is still plenty of time with two weeks left before the start of the season and four weeks before the transfer window closes.

So with about a month of the window left, the Saints first team squad is... (based on preseason and likelihood of appearance etc)

Fraser Forster

Alex McCarthy

Harry Lewis

Cédric Soares

Cuco Martina

Jérémy Pied

José Fonte

Florin Gardos

Maya Yoshida

Virgil Van Dijk

Matt Targett

Ryan Bertrand

Oriol Romeu

Jordy Clasie

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Steven Davis

Harrison Reed

James Ward-Prowse

Dušan Tadić

Nathan Redmond

Charlie Austin

Shane Long

Jay Rodriguez

Sam Gallagher

Could've had McQueen/Hesketh etc but don't think we'll really see much of them, if at all. Loans or 23s matches.

So with about a month of the window left, the Saints first team squad is... (based on preseason and likelihood of appearance etc)

Fraser Forster

Alex McCarthy

Harry Lewis

Cédric Soares

Cuco Martina

Jérémy Pied

José Fonte

Florin Gardos

Maya Yoshida

Virgil Van Dijk

Matt Targett

Ryan Bertrand

Oriol Romeu

Jordy Clasie

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Steven Davis

Harrison Reed

James Ward-Prowse

Dušan Tadić

Nathan Redmond

Charlie Austin

Shane Long

Jay Rodriguez

Sam Gallagher

Could've had McQueen/Hesketh etc but don't think we'll really see much of them, if at all. Loans or 23s matches.

Been really impressed with McQueen, think he may get on the bench this season!

Waiting for my whelm to start being over but fear it may remain under

Consider me firmly in the underwhelmed camp so far as well.

We appear to be seeing a gearing back from the club to purchasing players with potential again with a focus on youth. I'm fine with that, I'm proud of our youth but I wish they'd sign a couple of wow players if we are going to be selling our stars.

Fraser Forster

Alex McCarthy

Harry Lewis

Cédric Soares

Cuco Martina

Jérémy Pied

José Fonte

Florin Gardos

Maya Yoshida

Virgil Van Dijk

Matt Targett

Ryan Bertrand

Oriol Romeu

Jordy Clasie

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Steven Davis

Harrison Reed

James Ward-Prowse

Dušan Tadić

Nathan Redmond

Charlie Austin

Shane Long

Jay Rodriguez

Sam Gallagher

For me the worrying thing is, which of these players would get into a top 6 or 7 premier league team's starting line up? I'd say:

Forster

Bertrand

Fonte

Van Dyke

Austin (depending on fitness)

Potentials

Hojberg

Redmond

I'm not saying the others can't make it, for example we know Tadic can be class, but a little inconsistent. It's certainly not a squad to push on right now.

For me the worrying thing is, which of these players would get into a top 6 or 7 premier league team's starting line up? I'd say:

Forster

Bertrand

Fonte

Van Dyke

Austin (depending on fitness)

Potentials

Hojberg

Redmond

I'm not saying the others can't make it, for example we know Tadic can be class, but a little inconsistent. It's certainly not a squad to push on right now.

Quite few of them were in a top 6 starting line up last season.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I quite often read that we are signing players with less quality of what we sell. Well, isn´t that the plan? In our current position we are great to develop players in their early twenties to great players ready for the big clubs. So when comparing player to player we get weaker. But, when you look at the team we have planty of players who will develop over the next season. We will have a better Soares than last year, a better van Dijk, a better Clasie and so on. People here are though probably right that we probably need a new attacking player who we can develop to our next Mane.

What I think is exciting is that the club are signing up player for the long run. I have some hopes that the club feels ready for the next step and keep the stars we develop. The club has also highlighted the problem with our raise in the premiership. We now are too good to get players straight from the academy to the first team and try to build a bridge from the academy through partner clubs.

The club has also highlighted the lack of commercial income. If we are to make a step up towards the Champions League, we need to increase our income level. I think we are making the right moves by looking outside the UK. I think that the Afrian deal with Sport Pesa and and the American moves by starting Saints Academies and the partnership with Under Armour are steps in the right direction.

I would say that the task of making Southampton to a Champions League team is a massive one but I think we are giving a good try. Looking forward to the future!

I quite often read that we are signing players with less quality of what we sell. Well, isn´t that the plan? In our current position we are great to develop players in their early twenties to great players ready for the big clubs. So when comparing player to player we get weaker. But, when you look at the team we have planty of players who will develop over the next season. We will have a better Soares than last year, a better van Dijk, a better Clasie and so on. People here are though probably right that we probably need a new attacking player who we can develop to our next Mane.

What I think is exciting is that the club are signing up player for the long run. I have some hopes that the club feels ready for the next step and keep the stars we develop. The club has also highlighted the problem with our raise in the premiership. We now are too good to get players straight from the academy to the first team and try to build a bridge from the academy through partner clubs.

The club has also highlighted the lack of commercial income. If we are to make a step up towards the Champions League, we need to increase our income level. I think we are making the right moves by looking outside the UK. I think that the Afrian deal with Sport Pesa and and the American moves by starting Saints Academies and the partnership with Under Armour are steps in the right direction.

I would say that the task of making Southampton to a Champions League team is a massive one but I think we are giving a good try. Looking forward to the future!

This is what I disagree with. If we want to maintain or improve then we can't keep losing so many stars at the same time, selling a star and investing in youth I have no problem with. Large squad rebuilds every year are annoying.

Edited by farawaysaint

This is what I disagree with. If we want to maintain or improve then we can't keep losing so many stars at the same time selling a star and investing in youth I have no problem with. Large squad rebuilds every year are annoying.

As is oft repeated, you (and others) seem to be saying that we lose these stars out of choice.

We have not been in a position to keep players from the big clubs. Therefore the plan have been to develop players and make a profit and using that profit to improve the structure of the club. What we can see this summer is that the clubs are making moves to keep our current crop which will be needed to make the step up. So, selling players has been both nescassary fot the club to improve and unavoidable.

This is what I disagree with. If we want to maintain or improve then we can't keep losing so many stars at the same time selling a star and investing in youth I have no problem with. Large squad rebuilds every year are annoying.

Reality check required, unfortunately.

And as is also oft repeated, why does this only happen to us? What is wrong in our setup?

Do you not realise that we are a medium sized provincial club? Do you think a player is going to come here, with no connections to the club/area, and be content to spend the rest of his career with us, when other somewhat larger clubs want his services? Some may have families etc to take into account and like the settled life down here, but players like Pelle, Wanyama and Mané had no ties to the area and went on to bigger and better things.

Give me one good reason why any of those 3 should have stayed with us rather than choosing the clubs they went to.

Do you not realise that we are a medium sized provincial club? Do you think a player is going to come here, with no connections to the club/area, and be content to spend the rest of his career with us, when other somewhat larger clubs want his services? Some may have families etc to take into account and like the settled life down here, but players like Pelle, Wanyama and Mané had no ties to the area and went on to bigger and better things.

Give me one good reason why any of those 3 should have stayed with us rather than choosing the clubs they went to.

Perhaps added to that... The so called Grand Old Club of Everton are not recruiting very well at all - Despite a supposed money tree to spend...Even the current champions Leicester could not hold onto Kante, and Mahrez is,nt assured of starting next season for them yet by many a long chalk.

Nothing wrong with our set up at all - It's just for now, the so called Glory names will prevail.

If you have, say, 30 players on short term contracts, average 4 years, then surely you lot can work out that, on average every year, seven or eight of them will either need to be renegotiated or they will leave. It will happen again next year, and every year after that.

If you want to know when, for each player, then knock 2 years off his current contract and you won't go far wrong. If you have a problem with that, you're following the wrong sport.

So the two more signings were a back up keeper and a back up right back as predicted.

3 key payers out, and none really replaced despite four signings.

Work to do, attack needs strengthening, especially considering how pedestrian Jay Rod looks.

So the two more signings were a back up keeper and a back up right back as predicted.

3 key payers out, and none really replaced despite four signings.

Work to do, attack needs strengthening, especially considering how pedestrian Jay Rod looks.

Pelle replaced by Austin (supposedly)

Wanyama replaced by Romeu (supposedly), plus the Danish lad

Mané replaced an injured JRod (conjecture), who is no longer injured (possibly)

Pelle replaced by Austin (supposedly)

Wanyama replaced by Romeu (supposedly), plus the Danish lad

Mané replaced an injured JRod (conjecture), who is no longer injured (possibly)

What I find intriguing is that certain posters seem to be of the opinion that all outgoing players should've already been replaced, I.e. that replacements should be signed before or soon after departures, and then fail to acknowledge when the club has done this (signed in advance), I.e. Austin, or when the club has replaced with a different kind of player (I.e. Hojbjerg).

I'm all for giving injured players time and Austin looks like he might come back strong, but Rodriguez cannot be relied on yet. If he can come back and be good enough to get games, stay fit and look dangerous for a solid month or so then great. But right now he just looks like someone low on confidence, in the very early stages of yet another comeback and with absolutely zero pace. Keep hoping yes, but plan for life without him.

We have four attacking players in a fairly large and very decent squad in other areas. Tadic, Redmond, Austin and Long. Four players. If Tadic gets injured I can't see us creating anything.

Which is exactly why the club will bring in at least one more attacking player. Don't know why people doubt this

I'm all for giving injured players time and Austin looks like he might come back strong, but Rodriguez cannot be relied on yet. If he can come back and be good enough to get games, stay fit and look dangerous for a solid month or so then great. But right now he just looks like someone low on confidence, in the very early stages of yet another comeback and with absolutely zero pace. Keep hoping yes, but plan for life without him.

We have four attacking players in a fairly large and very decent squad in other areas. Tadic, Redmond, Austin and Long. Four players. If Tadic gets injured I can't see us creating anything.

By your own admission, you're impatient, so why not take that into account when posting? ;)

Agreed....wish this was from a reliable source.

Despite him appearing to have some 'issues' I think he fits the bill perfectly for us.

I think he would get his head down and fulfil the obvious potential he has.

I still believe we have atleast one signing of note to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed....wish this was from a reliable source.

Despite him appearing to have some 'issues' I think he fits the bill perfectly for us.

I think he would get his head down and fulfil the obvious potential he has.

I still believe we have atleast one signing of note to make.

He would fit this formation very nicely. Shame, as he's good mates with Redmond too.

I think Berahino is the player we're waiting to hear from. He would come to us over the other two I would have thought.

thoughts on his attitude?

I was put off by him the other year when he had that tweet aimed at jeremy peace. came across as petulant kid but perhaps he's changed.

Not seen much about him in the papers though (other than transfer rumours), so perhaps pulis has told him to keep a lid on it.

either way seems to be more risk than other options out there (I got no suggestions, just a feeling).

happy to accept a club move and new manager/freedom can bring out the best in players and folks can turn a corner.

still..