Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

thoughts on his attitude?

I was put off by him the other year when he had that tweet aimed at jeremy peace. came across as petulant kid but perhaps he's changed.

Not seen much about him in the papers though (other than transfer rumours), so perhaps pulis has told him to keep a lid on it.

either way seems to be more risk than other options out there (I got no suggestions, just a feeling).

happy to accept a club move and new manager/freedom can bring out the best in players and folks can turn a corner.

still..

Hopefully he has grown up a bit since his spat but Morgan did the same to us and went on to have a fantastic season. Berahino was wanted by spurs and I expect he was going to earn a nice wage on top of that so was pretty miffed when it never happened. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he is clearly a talented player and fits our MO perfectly with being a young English talented player.

Would be an excellent addition imo.

Pelle replaced by Austin (supposedly)

Wanyama replaced by Romeu (supposedly), plus the Danish lad

Mané replaced an injured JRod (conjecture), who is no longer injured (possibly)

Replaced in quality.

Austin maybe for Pelle,

But the current Jay Rod does not replace Mane or a peak version of himself and Romeu is not Wanyama class.

Plus we are supposed to be improving the squad, overall quality of squad is worse than last year and we have more games to tackle.

We need two/imo, that are on the level if not better than our current best players, mainly in attacking positions.

That's another of the Evertonian demand list shut down to them... Funny isn't it !

i'm gonna save laughing or gloating until fonte has signed dotted line got a bad feeling about everton official account being cocky enough to openly talk about the rumour.

For me the worrying thing is, which of these players would get into a top 6 or 7 premier league team's starting line up? I'd say:

Forster

Bertrand

Fonte

Van Dyke

Austin (depending on fitness)

Potentials

Hojberg

Redmond

I'm not saying the others can't make it, for example we know Tadic can be class, but a little inconsistent. It's certainly not a squad to push on right now.

I would add:

Long

Davis

Tadic

so thats 10 using your list, plus Romeu, Clasie, and Soares are close too. Plus guys like JWP, Targett, and Bertrand would certainly be on the squad for anyone.

Look into the history of Southampton's transfer dealing over the last 7 years.... Those that work in football (the ones at the top of their game...the ones everyone is impatient with...) know that bringing in a player is a hugely complex procedure (scouting, boardroom meetings, finance meetings, lawyers, agents, players, media leaks, players' families, estate agents, logistics, then you have to deal with the selling clubs wanting replacements before signing off on the deal and finally the announcement. With many of the big money moves, the ones where there are more than one offer on the table etc....the players have a big decisions to make etc. Huge life choices. Those take time. Please just be patient. Surely you can accept this.

Yes. I prefer to complain loudly on the internet.

I'm not nearly as pessimistic as I sound tbf, sorry. :lol:

Edited by farawaysaint

Blimey, so he was also the GK, defender and midfield. Quite some player and should have gone for way more than 100 million if what you say is true.

Well Wanyama was protecting that defence and Pelle was getting on the end of his crosses/chesting balls down for him.

I wouldn't underestimate what we have lost.

I think Berahino is the player we're waiting to hear from. He would come to us over the other two I would have thought.

I think wants to stay living in Staffordshire....unfortunately.

Would like to be proved wrong.......I'm sure we could persuade him otherwise,presuming we are even interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Mane was pretty much the whole difference between finishing 8th and 6th. Take any other player away from the team for the last ten games and we might still have staggered over the line into 6th. Take Mane away and we wouldn't.

If he had turned up for the rest of the season we wwould have been top 4

I think if we all took such things into account most of us would never post :)

It was more about Rodriguez being counted as a viable option anyway.

I wasn't impatient about VVD last season because I thought it would happen late and would be worth the wait. I guess the lack of attacking options is more obvious right now and I was hoping we'd have a decent signing in time for Watford. But if it was the level of tello and boufal I'd settle for deadline day. Definitely think we need two. Attacking midfield and strikers are both extremely lacking for a potential 50 game season

No one's advocating that, obviously. See Whelk's post above though, you're developing a reputation ;)

In all seriousness though, I think you're going to have to come round to the idea that the club see Rodriguez as a striking option, and then base your expectations with that in mind.

Out of interest - what is the latest from the ITKs?

2 more signings before the end of the window, both attacking players which means they will be more expensive and take a little longer.

Haven't we signed VVD, Mane and Aldeweireld on transfer deadline day the last couple of seasons...?

2 more signings before the end of the window, both attacking players which means they will be more expensive and take a little longer.

Haven't we signed VVD, Mane and Aldeweireld on transfer deadline day the last couple of seasons...?

Don't think they said we would sign two expensive attacking players.

AR-10 said we want another two players.

Guan said expensive attacking players take time to sign.

So we want two new players at least one of whom will be an expensive attacker.

At least that is how I interpreted it.

Look into the history of Southampton's transfer dealing over the last 7 years.... Those that work in football (the ones at the top of their game...the ones everyone is impatient with...) know that bringing in a player is a hugely complex procedure (scouting, boardroom meetings, finance meetings, lawyers, agents, players, media leaks, players' families, estate agents, logistics, then you have to deal with the selling clubs wanting replacements before signing off on the deal and finally the announcement. With many of the big money moves, the ones where there are more than one offer on the table etc....the players have a big decisions to make etc. Huge life choices. Those take time. Please just be patient. Surely you can accept this.

I think most people accept this but when we sell players this doesn't seem an issue? They go very quickly? I am unsuccessfully trying for that to not sound negative as this board have given us the strongest squad I have known and for that I am eternally grateful!

Don't think they said we would sign two expensive attacking players.

AR-10 said we want another two players.

Guan said expensive attacking players take time to sign.

So we want two new players at least one of whom will be an expensive attacker.

At least that is how I interpreted it.

Is AR-10 genuinely ITK? Great news if so

So with about a month of the window left, the Saints first team squad is... (based on preseason and likelihood of appearance etc)

Fraser Forster

Alex McCarthy

Harry Lewis

Cédric Soares

Cuco Martina

Jérémy Pied

José Fonte

Florin Gardos

Maya Yoshida

Virgil Van Dijk

Matt Targett

Ryan Bertrand

Oriol Romeu

Jordy Clasie

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Steven Davis

Harrison Reed

James Ward-Prowse

Dušan Tadić

Nathan Redmond

Charlie Austin

Shane Long

Jay Rodriguez

Sam Gallagher

Could've had McQueen/Hesketh etc but don't think we'll really see much of them, if at all. Loans or 23s matches.

Feeling positive about this squad & Puel- our two best signings are Long & Bertrand to new deals IMO. Hojberg will hopefully be a gem. Still like to think we'd bring in at least one more attacking player though- someone pacey & creative- don't think we've really replaced Mane yet. Someone like Promes at Spartak would be perfect.

Having said all that- if Fonte leaves all my dreams will fall into despair...

Feeling positive about this squad & Puel- our two best signings are Long & Bertrand to new deals IMO. Hojberg will hopefully be a gem. Still like to think we'd bring in at least one more attacking player though- someone pacey & creative- don't think we've really replaced Mane yet. Someone like Promes at Spartak would be perfect.

Having said all that- if Fonte leaves all my dreams will fall into despair...

One more joining the Promes bandwagon. That's two of us. Welcome. :o

So with about a month of the window left, the Saints first team squad is... (based on preseason and likelihood of appearance etc)

Fraser Forster

Alex McCarthy

Harry Lewis

Cédric Soares

Cuco Martina

Jérémy Pied

José Fonte

Florin Gardos

Maya Yoshida

Virgil Van Dijk

Matt Targett

Ryan Bertrand

Oriol Romeu

Jordy Clasie

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Steven Davis

Harrison Reed

James Ward-Prowse

Dušan Tadić

Nathan Redmond

Charlie Austin

Shane Long

Jay Rodriguez

Sam Gallagher

Could've had McQueen/Hesketh etc but don't think we'll really see much of them, if at all. Loans or 23s matches.

Looks a couple of pacy attackers short in my opinion.

Add an Oxlade-Chamberlain and a Berahino and we are there I reckon.

Do we really need another central midfielder?!

Claude is working on an innovative 2-7-1 formation utilising a midfield pentagon protected by an additional deep lying midfielder and feeding an additional attacking midfielder.

We don't have the money of other clubs? Well no, not the CL or Liverpool or Chelsea, but why would we be behind anyone else? Especially when we've made a huge profit in player sales this summer.

I'm assuming he's just keeping quiet on deals, because if he's truly happy with that attack he's in for a nasty shock this season.

Do you not read what Guan posted? You are becoming a total bore blathering on about attack. Don't tell us you don't count Rodriguez.

Only becoming a bore is one of the nicer compliments I've had on here.

On trend with eighty percent of this thread I'm going to say shut it you small eyed git you obviously know fk all about football. Fkn obvs ish is locked down, any other view should be dealt with as arrogantly and condescendingly as possible, gimp.

Easy, Mane basically hauled us there single-handedly over the last 2 months of the season.
Whilst Mane was clearly a menace for the last five games of the season with six goals and running (some) defences ragged, it was a TEAM effort. The entire Saints team (to the obvious bemusement of the then manager) pulled together and won the four of five they were asked to, (with Tadic supplying nine assists those games). The most unlikely win, and therefore the three points that really made the difference between 6th and 8th came at White Heart Lane; where Mane completed just over an hour, had the lowest pass completion of any player on the pitch and no shots.Therefore, if you really want to reduce a team effort over 38 games to one players achievement at the end of the season, it should be Steven Davis you give the plaudits to. La.Sh!t. Just realised this is the Summer Targets thread and I've been drawn in. Balls. Ah well, I've typed it now. Sorry!