Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

VVD one of several centre backs Arsenal could buy, says Mirror, although would take'sizeable bid.' Stones, De vrij, Winston Reid also among those mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VVD one of several centre backs Arsenal could buy, says Mirror, although would take'sizeable bid.' Stones, De vrij, Winston Reid also among those mentioned

As he has just signed a new contract, it would be a very expensive buy for them.

Would you swap VvD for Chambers and Oxlade-Chamberlain? (I know its highly unlikely, but Chambers could play RB or CB, AOC would be a great attacking option and we could splash out on a new CB). VvD would be are second largest lost, after Fonte.

As he has just signed a new contract, it would be a very expensive buy for them.

Would you swap VvD for Chambers and Oxlade-Chamberlain? (I know its highly unlikely, but Chambers could play RB or CB, AOC would be a great attacking option and we could splash out on a new CB). VvD would be are second largest lost, after Fonte.

Losing VvD would be more devastating than losing Fonte in my opinion, he's the future, he's young and a much better player. If Fonte leaves I'd give VvD the captaincy.

I would suggest the VVD would be a greater loss, as he will improve as a player and his value increase greatly. Fonte would be a massive loss but this time next year his value will drop dramatically.

Pinch of salt stuff with the Gabbiadini link I guess given the media source, but compared to some links, he does seem to fit the bill.

Don't know much about him, but right age for us and a quick read up suggests he can play any role across the front three and his preference is to cut in from the right, similar to the way Mane was often deployed.

Could have legs, although the fact that he has been named immediately makes me think it won't happen!

Pinch of salt stuff with the Gabbiadini link I guess given the media source, but compared to some links, he does seem to fit the bill.

Don't know much about him, but right age for us and a quick read up suggests he can play any role across the front three and his preference is to cut in from the right, similar to the way Mane was often deployed.

Could have legs, although the fact that he has been named immediately makes me think it won't happen!

He's hardly been prolific and doesn't seem better than the other players we have up front. Not sure about this one.

Hasn't always played as a striker and often sub. His goal record is good considering that. If it were better he'd be out of reach for us. I think he'd be an excellent signing.

I think we should avoid Serie A, Gaston nor Osvaldo has worked out for us. He'll be a Giaccherini No. 2 IMO.

You could add Cuadrado, and probs more I can't be bothered to think of.

I believe Christian Tello favours a move to Fiorentina too, so may have to rule him out too.

I think we should avoid Serie A, Gaston nor Osvaldo has worked out for us. He'll be a Giaccherini No. 2 IMO.

I believe Christian Tello favours a move to Fiorentina too, so may have to rule him out too.

Why are you making sweeping generalisations based on one of the leagues they have played in? Players should be judged on their own merits.

Losing VvD would be more devastating than losing Fonte in my opinion, he's the future, he's young and a much better player. If Fonte leaves I'd give VvD the captaincy.

Couldn't agree more - VVD is the remaining world class player we have, with improvement still to come.

The Gabbadiani link has even less credibility when you see that HITC Sport have also linked VVD to Everton despite listing all the reasons why that will never happen. These cheap websites aren't interested in truth or evidence but just want to get misguided footie fans to log onto their site. I was misguided enough to use it briefly but won't any more.

Jese Rodriguez is reportedly available for 15 million Euros. Just saying.

Wasn't the rumour that Real Madrid wanted a €16.5m buy back clause? Not great business for us if true imo. Although I do think Jese would be a great signing without the clause

If I'm not mistaken, the decisions to purchase Osvaldo and Ramirez came more from our chairman than our scouting dept.

In any case it's a little silly to make any comparisons with the fact a 5' 5 diminutive attacker hasn't yet found success playing in the premier league

If I'm not mistaken, the decisions to purchase Osvaldo and Ramirez came more from our chairman than our scouting dept.

In any case it's a little silly to make any comparisons with the fact a 5' 5 diminutive attacker hasn't yet found success playing in the premier league

I think MP was the one pushing for Osvaldo. It is amazing how NC gets all the greif but people forget the Liebherrs never knew of us until he put the investment opportunity under ML's nose

I think MP was the one pushing for Osvaldo. It is amazing how NC gets all the greif but people forget the Liebherrs never knew of us until he put the investment opportunity under ML's nose

He only gets the grief in hindsight, at least from what I've seen. The longer that the post-Cortese era has gone on the more sour I've become about his tenure. It's strange. I was pretty positive 4 years ago.

I recall one of our ITK friends reported that Osvaldo was a 'gift' for Poch & that funds for a centre-back went into that deal (hence us having to get Vegard Forren instead).

It's arguable that didn't work out so well on either front :)

Cedric and Fonte were part of the Portugal team that beat the best players in Europe. So I think we have three world class players.

I always thought that the label "world class" should be reserved for players who would make a "world XI" (- or a world squad if you want to include subs.) Not sure either Fonte or Cedric would make it into that.

Just spent the evening with a couple where the husband works for a sports management agency. A couple of bits of info:

Contract offers are progressing, Cedrics the most positive so far.

Hopeful of a signing being completed this week, likely by Wednesday. Would be our most expensive in terms of transfer fee of the summer. Attacking player, who if they do as well for us as they have done for their current team then we will have another gem. I didn't know much about them (but had heard of them) but seems to fit our "signing type"

It's not Borja Baston is it? He's had a great season with Eibar on loan from Athletico and I can see him securing a permanent move elsewhere. Only 23, fits our MO. Swansea are looking at him but could we steal him from under their noses?

Edited by Saint_Ash

It's not Borja Baston is it? He's had a great season with Eibar on loan from Athletico and I can see him securing a permanent move elsewhere. Only 23, fits our MO. Swansea are looking at him but could we steal him from under their noses?

About to sign for Swansea according tot the media.

I always thought that the label "world class" should be reserved for players who would make a "world XI" (- or a world squad if you want to include subs.) Not sure either Fonte or Cedric would make it into that.

I agree.

Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero, Suarez etc are World class.

Fonts, Cedric are good international players, but not worldies!

Going to Swansea. Good player.

He scores a lot of goals. However I read Athletico want to include one of those buy back clauses in case he's a hit at Swansea.

I must admit I had Swansea as relegated a week ago but I'm rethinking that after seeing their recent transfer business. This is why predictions should never be made until the end of the transfer window!!!

well if we are in for anyone at the moment i must say the club are absolute masters of keeping it quiet......there is not so much of a sniff to anyone realistically being linked to us.

And there generally never is. Look at when we signed Pied. Nothing, then boom at 22:50 a tweet comes out and announced at 23:00.

It's how it should be done. And makes these threads almost redundant and akin to Championship Manager 2 :)

And there generally never is. Look at when we signed Pied. Nothing, then boom at 22:50 a tweet comes out and announced at 23:00.

It's how it should be done. And makes these threads almost redundant and akin to Championship Manager 2 :)

there were some reports in France in early July, repeated on a West Ham forum..then reports saying the move had broken down later in July etc

http://www.sports.fr/football/transferts/scans/southampton-pied-bientot-avec-puel-1554143/

Edited by Saint-Fred

Another example being Hojbjerg. Broke on Sunday on some German sites, and was done by Monday evening. No reports, links or rumors before hand. He wasn't even mentioned as a possible signing anywhere.

Bertrand was a legendary one too.

There was NOTHING anywhere about it.

If José Fonte is staying it'll be because he's been told we'll be bringing in additional good signings

There's no way he'll stay with the squad as it is. It doesn't show the ambition everyone is expecting.

If José Fonte is staying it'll be because he's been told we'll be bringing in additional good signings

There's no way he'll stay with the squad as it is. It doesn't show the ambition everyone is expecting.

'It doesn't show the ambition everyone is expecting'........ I'm not expecting any at the moment unfortunately.

Sam Gallagher (vaunted by the club friendly press earlier in pre-season to be one of those to be given a chance by Puel) is on the brink of a loan to Blackburn according to Alan Nixon. A sign that Puel has changed his mind with regards to replacing Pelle perhaps?

Sam Gallagher (vaunted by the club friendly press earlier in pre-season to be one of those to be given a chance by Puel) is on the brink of a loan to Blackburn according to Alan Nixon. A sign that Puel has changed his mind with regards to replacing Pelle perhaps?

Let's hope so

Probably a sign he considers Redmond a striker and therefore we have four for a system which plays two.

Why would there only be 11 world class players? Or 1 in each position?!

For me if you're in the top 10 or so for your position globally then you're a world class footballer. But even that is limiting. Clearly being a consistent top league and international footballer would do it. Fonte is missing champions league though. VVD is certainly up there for complete defenders anywhere and IMO will become world class. Probably not with us though!

Because in my view "world class" should be reserved for only the very best. The A+ players.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that (unless I have missed it) no-one has mentioned that West Brom continue to seek a replacement for Berahino. Having abandoned their plans to sign Sakho, newspaper reports now suggest they are after Watford's Ighalo. This seems to suggest that they will definitely be selling Berahino. While Stoke have seemed to be the front-runners to sign him, might the previous rumours that we had sneaked in and gazumped their bid be true? Personally I think Berahino would be a great addition.

On another point and as an aside, if world class players are only those selected in Wortld Cup XI that would rule out Gareth Bale as a world class player and would rule out a number of other players who many would describe as world class.