Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Claude is being a good manager, and doing what he does best, generating an atmosphere of calm. If he had come out and said that "we have been conducting post match and training assessments, and concluded that we are lacking x, x and x in y area", then the press would have had a field day and our early opposition would have had a free game plan.

Instead, Puel and the club are reassuring the fans and avoiding sports pages devoted to bidding wars that fit the bill in one stroke.

He does exude an air of calm and it is indeed reassuring, well to me at least. The proof is obviously in the pudding, but feeling very positive

Claude is being a good manager, and doing what he does best, generating an atmosphere of calm. If he had come out and said that "we have been conducting post match and training assessments, and concluded that we are lacking x, x and x in y area", then the press would have had a field day and our early opposition would have had a free game plan.

Instead, Puel and the club are reassuring the fans and avoiding sports pages devoted to bidding wars that fit the bill in one stroke.

Thanks for the update Guan. All very encouraging.

No! Because we are saints. We are the club that don't need to throw money around to strengthen the team; every year we do it and make a profit!!!!

Well except for Gaston, Osvaldo, Juanmi, Forren, Wanyama.

I kind of think if the club thinks a player is worth spending £20 million on then they'll spend £20 million.

There is no sense in being prudent for prudents sake, there are no trophies for making a transfer profit.

We can certainly afford a player or two at that value just from our sales alone and wouldn't be surprised if we did spend around that amount before the end of the window.

I mean for example Jese is about the go to PSG for £21 million, I'm pretty sure if he was interested in joining us we would have spent that amount for a player of that calibre.

We can beat Watford with what we've got, if we play well of course. Doubt any signing would come straight in at this stage anyway. Quite looking forward to seeing Redmond playing up front, I can see him matching his last season's total after 1 game!

Thats very optimistic. I can also see Redmond dribbling around a lot and never scoring much. This would be a disaster for us as we need to find goals. I'm not sold on the position change, unless there is some hybrid role (or something I am missing).

Thats very optimistic. I can also see Redmond dribbling around a lot and never scoring much. This would be a disaster for us as we need to find goals. I'm not sold on the position change, unless there is some hybrid role (or something I am missing).

You just never know though, look at Morgan he went from one of the best defensive mids in the top 5 European leagues. For us he was commanding, covering the grass at pace, snapping at opponents heels, anticipating passes and looking the complete midfielder. Then he changes club and manager and suddenly looks a pit ponderous, less mobile, gets forward less, not as many tackles and interceptions.

Could be a masterstroke, maybe Redmond's qualities are better served further forward? I do note that for Norwich he seemed to do better as an AMR rather than an MR, suggesting maybe that when freed up from defensive duties and being closer to box (not easy to do in a struggling team shipping goals) he was a lot more of a threat. From what I've seen he's spent a lot of his career playing as more of a traditional winger, maybe this shift to being more of a forward will get the best out of him?

Would still like other options of course and more quality in the forward areas, but Puel does have a history of getting the best out of young players and finding their best positions.

Genuine question.

Do you feel the squad as it stands has any chance of improving our previous best ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

No. But it was always going to be a very tall order no matter what realistic monies we might have thrown at the team. The teams above us, or expected to pass us from below, have a lot of financial muscle. Only Leicester would appear to be in our league (financially speaking) and they have Champions League.

Tbh I've not felt Ive been reassured what so ever . In fact nothing in this off season has reassuring at all .

Only our new midfielder seems to have any sort of promise

No. But it was always going to be a very tall order no matter what realistic monies we might have thrown at the team. The teams above us, or expected to pass us from below, have a lot of financial muscle. Only Leicester would appear to be in our league (financially speaking) and they have Champions League.

But financial muscle isn't everything. If it's known there's money sloshing around, prices go up to match. And plenty of the names that keep cropping up are over-hyped by agents trying for a bidding war and a big payday.

Research and assessment of targets and shrewd buying of the players who will fit our needs and are off the radar of most clubs is at least as important.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I would agree with that although I don't feel the club would compete financially with anyone in the top half of the table .

I only ask the question as any time anyone questions the club the same ' constant improvement ' line gets rolled out . As if that statement means the club cannot be questioned at all .

Tbh I've not felt Ive been reassured what so ever . In fact nothing in this off season has reassuring at all .

Only our new midfielder seems to have any sort of promise

What about Redmond? Bagged a couple of goals and looks really good. We have more games this season so need strength in depth, we cannot be buying £15-£20m players up front all the time to keep people happy. A fell decent squad will help us do well and we haven't finished our business yet either. I'm fully confident in our squad at the moment and the extra players we will get in will improve us even more so.

What about Redmond? Bagged a couple of goals and looks really good. We have more games this season so need strength in depth, we cannot be buying £15-£20m players up front all the time to keep people happy. A fell decent squad will help us do well and we haven't finished our business yet either. I'm fully confident in our squad at the moment and the extra players we will get in will improve us even more so.

Redmond hasn't shown me anything in our games so far . A few goals against poor opposition in friendlies don't count for much .

Personally I wish we were buying him to loan him out . He shouldn't make the first team until he improves on a major scale .

If we don't start paying a little more in line with the teams in our direct competition we will really get left behind .

We seem to have this assumption that Redmond will naturally improve now he is with us even though other coaches couldn't . With a new coaching set up I prefer to wait and see .

Redmond hasn't shown me anything in our games so far . A few goals against poor opposition in friendlies don't count for much .

Personally I wish we were buying him to loan him out . He shouldn't make the first team until he improves on a major scale .

If we don't start paying a little more in line with the teams in our direct competition we will really get left behind .

We seem to have this assumption that Redmond will naturally improve now he is with us even though other coaches couldn't . With a new coaching set up I prefer to wait and see .

Who are our direct competition, who has so far done better business than us in that bracket? I'm sorry but your comment about Redmond is pretty laughable, what else is he supposed to do apart from play well in preseason friendlies. You will never be impressed by anyone in preseason friendlies because they play poor teams?

Who are our direct competition, who has so far done better business than us in that bracket? I'm sorry but your comment about Redmond is pretty laughable, what else is he supposed to do apart from play well in preseason friendlies. You will never be impressed by anyone in preseason friendlies because they play poor teams?

Correct he is never impressd with anything Saints....an absolute melt

Perfect.

Although I remain hopeful that an addition of some attacking flair will be incoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine question.

Do you feel the squad as it stands has any chance of improving our previous best ?

It will be very diffucult to improve again by that is without doubt but i would have been the same had we not sold anyone

so instead of writing everything off, lets give it a chance

Not long ago only the winners of the Premier League were worth a mention and the other 21 & then 19 clubs were also rans. Now in these days of foreign billionaire owners and millionaire players it is perfectly respectable as an ambition to aim for a Top Ten finish. Times change.

We are not immune from this new reality as fans, many on here seem to have accepted as fact that we cannot hope to be top six again simply on the basis of our wealth or lack of it as a club. Maybe that's the thinking upstairs as well so they are planning accordingly. Who knows maybe they believe the top ten will get European places before too long as FIFA and UEFA seek ever greater expansion of their competitions?

The person you have replied to, is what I believe is called a "troll". I have a long list of other terms, but would suggest a quick check of its posting history and note the absence of any praise or posts after any victory.

The person you have replied to, is what I believe is called a "troll". I have a long list of other terms, but would suggest a quick check of its posting history and note the absence of any praise or posts after any victory.

Think what you like . I have players I like , some that I'm unimpressed by . Your opinion is yours and you're welcome to it ☺

**** you and your opinions

if you are half as pessimistic in real life as you are on the forum it's a miracle that fans sitting nearby on matchday don't clout you with a right hander

if you are half as pessimistic in real life as you are on the forum it's a miracle that fans sitting nearby on matchday don't clout you with a right hander

How is that so pessimistic?

A LOT of people seeming to be expecting a lot from Redmond based on very little.

Fact is two of our key attacking players over the last two seasons are not in the squad anymore and we have question marks around several of those we currently have to replace them, both in their quality and fitness.

To be honest I don't feel particularly reassured by a message that we are happy with what is, on paper at least, a weaker first team than last year.

Whilst Mane was clearly a menace for the last five games of the season with six goals and running (some) defences ragged, it was a TEAM effort. The entire Saints team (to the obvious bemusement of the then manager) pulled together and won the four of five they were asked to, (with Tadic supplying nine assists those games). The most unlikely win, and therefore the three points that really made the difference between 6th and 8th came at White Heart Lane; where Mane completed just over an hour, had the lowest pass completion of any player on the pitch and no shots.Therefore, if you really want to reduce a team effort over 38 games to one players achievement at the end of the season, it should be Steven Davis you give the plaudits to. La.Sh!t. Just realised this is the Summer Targets thread and I've been drawn in. Balls. Ah well, I've typed it now. Sorry!

I'll just cut and paste what I wrote when someone else made the same facile point earlier: "Mane was pretty much the whole difference between finishing 8th and 6th. Take any other player away from the team for the last ten games and we might still have staggered over the line into 6th. Take Mane away and we wouldn't."

I can't even be bothered to address the preposterous claim that Davis was our most influential player last year. Some people just love a trier, especially when his face fits.

That worked wonders on Gaston and Osvaldo didn't it....we have strengthened weak positions in the squad - now I would like us to get a good striker/creative player to strengthen the first 11 - problem is so does everyone else.

Worth mentioning that both of those players were signed in the Cortese era.

Worst signing since then (from memory), with Les Reed as 'top dog' in terms of transfers, was probably Juanmi and at £5m it didn't exactly contain a lot of risk.

People have mentioned Wanyama in terms of 'profit' too but you could hardly say it was a bad transfer (both in or out). Considering he missed a fair chunk of last season for being a liability to the team and getting sent off/yellow cards too much, selling him for break even (or just below) with a year left on his contract is good business. We've now gone and signed Hojbjerg for not much more money who is only 20 and is clearly a talent.

How is that so pessimistic?

A LOT of people seeming to be expecting a lot from Redmond based on very little.

Fact is two of our key attacking players over the last two seasons are not in the squad anymore and we have question marks around several of those we currently have to replace them, both in their quality and fitness.

For one, keep shut until the transfer window is closed. Until then this conversation is unbelievably pointless. You can't even imagine how pointless it is to voice complaints against your own hypothesis (that the club has no more transfers to make).

If Puel thinks Redmond is more suited to go in the middle upfront, let him try it for Petes sake. If we have another transfer coming in (likely) and Redmond is the second choice, jolly good. If Redmond is actually first choice and on the training pitch impresses to be first choice, get behind him and don't sit there with your arms folded when the board goes up that he's coming off the bench.

Sorry if I'm being rude, actually not intended, just ridiculous to get het up about your own assumption of what is going on, against the grain of ITK snippets and with a whole flipping month to go until the window shuts.

I'll just cut and paste what I wrote when someone else made the same facile point earlier: "Mane was pretty much the whole difference between finishing 8th and 6th. Take any other player away from the team for the last ten games and we might still have staggered over the line into 6th. Take Mane away and we wouldn't."

I can't even be bothered to address the preposterous claim that Davis was our most influential player last year. Some people just love a trier, especially when his face fits.

hehe.

My point was (quite clearly) that claiming ANY ONE PLAYER 'hauled us over the line' is preposterous. I am glad you got that point: So much so that you fell into my 'cunning trap' and pointed out how preposterous it was when I swapped DAVIS for MANE! ;) You have decided, based on your appreciation of the entire season, but focusing on the last ten games, that Mane's performance in those last ten games warrants special attention and praise - and that's cool; we all have our favourite players. I merely pointed out AN Other-Players performance in a vital game near the end of the season was EQUALLY important.

Of course, I don't think Davis was our most influential player last year, I don't even think he was the most influential player in that game against Spuds (Wanyama was - I wonder why?). Truth is, I realised it was a good case in point to show that one man does not a team make; that's all we are really disagreeing about here, I happen to think we got to 6th as a team, you seem to want to praise one individual above all others.

Would we have beaten Man City without Mane? THAT'S a decent question and supports your argument. Would we have won the other games without him? Yes, probably. But it's all conjecture, really and depends on your perspective when viewing our performances through the season. I, personally, think we fluked, no that's wrong, fudged sixth place when 8th looked much more likely with a few games to go. But was Mane the SOLE reason? No, not from my point of view, sorry if you find that an easy point to make, but often the obvious things are.

hehe.

My point was (quite clearly) that claiming ANY ONE PLAYER 'hauled us over the line' is preposterous. I am glad you got that point: So much so that you fell into my 'cunning trap' and pointed out how preposterous it was when I swapped DAVIS for MANE! ;) You have decided, based on your appreciation of the entire season, but focusing on the last ten games, that Mane's performance in those last ten games warrants special attention and praise - and that's cool; we all have our favourite players. I merely pointed out AN Other-Players performance in a vital game near the end of the season was EQUALLY important.

Of course, I don't think Davis was our most influential player last year, I don't even think he was the most influential player in that game against Spuds (Wanyama was - I wonder why?). Truth is, I realised it was a good case in point to show that one man does not a team make; that's all we are really disagreeing about here, I happen to think we got to 6th as a team, you seem to want to praise one individual above all others.

Would we have beaten Man City without Mane? THAT'S a decent question and supports your argument. Would we have won the other games without him? Yes, probably. But it's all conjecture, really and depends on your perspective when viewing our performances through the season. I, personally, think we fluked, no that's wrong, fudged sixth place when 8th looked much more likely with a few games to go. But was Mane the SOLE reason? No, not from my point of view, sorry if you find that an easy point to make, but often the obvious things are.

Blah blah, tedious bromide about teamwork, yadda yadda. Very illuminating.

Haha thats gold !

Welcome to Saintslist, abuse won't be tolerated . Our motto is ' **** you and **** your opinion ' !!

Its actually impressive how bad a job the mods do on here ?

Any Saints?

Injection of T.v. Funds, major new sponsors with record deals, the sale of three of our starting line up for serious coin and we are buying ****ing journeyman players that would struggle to get a game for last year's Aston Villa.

What a time to be alive.

Injection of T.v. Funds, major new sponsors with record deals, the sale of three of our starting line up for serious coin and we are buying ****ing journeyman players that would struggle to get a game for last year's Aston Villa.

What a time to be alive.

:mcinnes:

What a time to be alive.

0.003/10