Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

His ITK credentials (Andy D.) are his belief that JWP is the next big thing and should be starting every match this season.

Maybe, maybe not. I exchanged very pleasant PM with him this time last year. Maybe trying to be polite might elicit similar responses which might explain where he is coming from a bit and then you can make a judgement as to the veracity of what is posted. Now that is not to say that he is ITK, nor is it saying that he isn't. I sort of see it that it might happen, but then again, in football who the hell knows what is going to happen. People can be all set to move somewhere, and just as it is about to cross the line, things unexpectedly change. Therefore I just wait until things are announced by the club.

Maybe, maybe not. I exchanged very pleasant PM with him this time last year. Maybe trying to be polite might elicit similar responses which might explain where he is coming from a bit and then you can make a judgement as to the veracity of what is posted. Now that is not to say that he is ITK, nor is it saying that he isn't. I sort of see it that it might happen, but then again, in football who the hell knows what is going to happen. People can be all set to move somewhere, and just as it is about to cross the line, things unexpectedly change. Therefore I just wait until things are announced by the club.

Fair comments Angel. Look my comments about Andy are, to be fair, a bit too harsh and limiting. Andy often posts good information about Saints and he is obviously passionate about SFC. I've just found some of his comments and predictions about JWP way over the top. Most of all I hope he's right that we are about to sign a creative, attacking player because we certainly need one!

Glad to see the discussion has moved on from Sébastien Haller. The report about Koeman's interest may have been sparked by the player's Dutch connection but perhaps Ron knows that Haller is French. Fun to see the Liverpool Echo still boasting about Everton's fabled buying power as they report interest in a player for about £8m who seems to have been turned down by other English clubs. So far, Everton's, muscle in the transfer market doesn't seem to have got them very far. Wonder if their fans as still fired up as they were when they claimed half the Southampton team would be moving to Merseyside? Although, to be fair, if they want to see Mané play they can always go over to Anfield.

Kind of ridiculous half a page has to go to showing how much a nonsense statement -

we can't compete financially with other Premier League clubs even the likes of Crystal Palace and Stoke
is, but there you go.

Not heard of Haller, but only 22, 1 in 2 goal record (albeit in Holland) and decent scoring record for the French U21 team all for around £6-7 million would be a pretty low risk deal and give us a decent back up option.

With regards to Boufal, if he's having Surgery in September and will be injured until then, even without complications it's very unlikely he'd be fit until about mid-October with no pre-season and then he's likely off to the ACON in January.

Paying £25 million for a player that we may have for less than half the season and is currently injured seems a big risk to me. No doubt he's a talented player though, so if the fee is lower could be worth a gamble.

He's been saying that he's not adverse to staying at Lille if no advantageous transfer can be arranged for him. According to L'Equipe there aren't many suitors and he doesn't fancy Wolfsburg or Schalke... We'll see what happens but the knee injury is really affecting both his and Lille's plans seemingly..

As I said yesterday Guirassy is going to Cologne as planned but for 6 million euros instead of the foreseen 10 because of an old knee injury that Lille were less than honest about in negociations. That will ease the immediate financial pressure on them and they're not going to sell of Boufal on the cheap. I think he harbours some sort of idea that PSG will come in for him before too long.

Apologies if you've already given your views on it WC, but how do you rate Boufal? Please and thank yous.

Lots of links today on newsnow.

Who knows if they're more than newspaper fillers but some interesting names/positions nonetheless.

Strikers, Defensive midfield, Right back.

I still think there'll be some new saints come September that we didn't expect,

Can't see either of these, based on the number of players we've usually had in these positions in past seasons. Personally think it's GK, RB, and AM.

Glad to see the discussion has moved on from Sébastien Haller. The report about Koeman's interest may have been sparked by the player's Dutch connection but perhaps Ron knows that Haller is French. Fun to see the Liverpool Echo still boasting about Everton's fabled buying power as they report interest in a player for about £8m who seems to have been turned down by other English clubs. So far, Everton's, muscle in the transfer market doesn't seem to have got them very far. Wonder if their fans as still fired up as they were when they claimed half the Southampton team would be moving to Merseyside? Although, to be fair, if they want to see Mané play they can always go over to Anfield.

In the news today that Koeman wants to bring in Martina. I said from the start that it’s all well and good saying you are throwing the money around, a club might accept the offer but if a player doesn’t want to go then he won’t, they have been interested in a few players and they all want to go to a proper team

Apologies if you've already given your views on it WC, but how do you rate Boufal? Please and thank yous.

I know very little about him, I don't watch a great deal of French football nowadays really. He's highly rated but as I have no illusions that the French League is one of the weakest serious leagues in European football that's no great recommendation really. So many before him have gone for big prices and failed miserably when faced with the reality of real men's football. Like Cabella,Stambouli, Yanga Mbwia, that bloke from Toulose at Sunderland, what's his name Wasiri or something like that.

Then again you have your Hazards and Girouds. Has skill but the English game may be too tough for him.

Can't see either of these, based on the number of players we've usually had in these positions in past seasons. Personally think it's GK, RB, and AM.

I agree - which is why I was surprised to see us still linked with those positions.

Again, probably newspaper hot air.

Kind of ridiculous half a page has to go to showing how much a nonsense statement - is, but there you go.

Not heard of Haller, but only 22, 1 in 2 goal record (albeit in Holland) and decent scoring record for the French U21 team all for around £6-7 million would be a pretty low risk deal and give us a decent back up option.

With regards to Boufal, if he's having Surgery in September and will be injured until then, even without complications it's very unlikely he'd be fit until about mid-October with no pre-season and then he's likely off to the ACON in January.

Paying £25 million for a player that we may have for less than half the season and is currently injured seems a big risk to me. No doubt he's a talented player though, so if the fee is lower could be worth a gamble.

Boufal has already had the surgery on his knee, he speaks of being back into competitive condition in "September" but says he has no fixed date as of yet.

Kind of ridiculous half a page has to go to showing how much a nonsense statement - is, but there you go.

He says he will be fit by September so will miss 3 league games maximum.

His fee is reported to be less than 20m euros now, probably due to the injury or due to getting less money for a different player and perhaps partly due to some interested party's dropping out?

This from the BBC site:

10:04

Transfer news coming from Portuguese newspaper A Bola. Their front page concerns two Benfica players, who could be coming to a Premier League club.

The paper reports that Talisca, a 22-year-old Brazilian attacking midfielder, and Eduardo Salvio, 26, an Argentina international winger, could both be moving in a joint deal worth £50m (£41.9m).

Where are they going? The paper doesn't say, but does add that club president Luis Felipe Vieira is negotiating a deal in London.

Benfica are in England at the moment as they play Sheffield Wednesday in a friendly tonight.

Any faint hope it could be us?

Fair comments Angel. Look my comments about Andy are, to be fair, a bit too harsh and limiting. Andy often posts good information about Saints and he is obviously passionate about SFC. I've just found some of his comments and predictions about JWP way over the top. Most of all I hope he's right that we are about to sign a creative, attacking player because we certainly need one!

I believe JWP will be the leagues top scoring mid fielder next season.

This from the BBC site:

Any faint hope it could be us?

42 million for 2 players we probably don't need...not very likely. These are West Ham and Watford type signings at best and just pure agent bolloaks as often as not. Both work permit candidates anyway.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Looks like Puel doesen't play with wingers. So I doubt it's us.

I am a bit worried. We REALLY need Boufal. If we are going with the narrow 4-1-2-1-2 we are heavily relying on Tadic to create chances for us. I am one of his biggest supporters here but another creative force is needed. Unless Højbjerg proves to be class right away and shows something of a offensive threat, or Clasie steps us his game massively, it's going to be tough to create.

Also, this formation suits Cedric, since there is going to be a lot of space on the wings to exploit. At the other hand, it will need a lot of tactical work to be cohesioned though, it could leave the team exposed to counter-attacks if it's not done right. It is a good idea to bring another right-back to have competition and let Cuco go.

Boufal has already had the surgery on his knee, he speaks of being back into competitive condition in "September" but says he has no fixed date as of yet.

The article suggest he's due further surgery in September, although it's 'minor'. Minor surgery seemed to set Jay Rod back quite awhile

Doubt it's any more than wild speculation, but as I haven't seen his name appear on here - a few mentions of us being linked with Ogenyi Onazi of Lazio.

Were linked to him a couple of seasons ago too. I assume there's nothing in it as he's a defensive midfielder.

Probably drivel but a friend said we had been linked to Moussa Konate.

No idea where he came across the rumour and can't find it myself but ... Senegal int. striker, can play up top or wide left/right, decent enough goal record and one year left on his contract so he may not be big bucks. Also happens to have same agent as our new manager.

I'd feel a lot better with a couple of attacking signings. Goals look very limited right now. Guess Chamberlain and Berahino would be too much to ask for, but christ it would make the options look healthier.

I guess Tadic/Davis/Redmond behind Long is ok, solid enough but it doesn't exactly excite and promise great things does it.

Austin? JRod?

I'd feel a lot better with a couple of attacking signings. Goals look very limited right now. Guess Chamberlain and Berahino would be too much to ask for, but christ it would make the options look healthier.

I guess Tadic/Davis/Redmond behind Long is ok, solid enough but it doesn't exactly excite and promise great things does it.

Why AOC? He has neither a good goal nor assist record and a poor injury record.

Not writing him off at all. Just not writing him on. He will hopefully come back strong, but who knows how strong or when. Relying on that would be ridiculous when we proved last season anything can go wrong. As for Austin, hopefully he's not injury prone, but none the less he barely played for us and scored 1 goal. We've lost our best 2 goalscorers. Why is anyone remotely ok with not replacing them?

Austin and Rodriguez would be great as competition, we have a lot of games. But clearly neither are first choice right now, neither are right wingers or no10s. So right now we have Davis as the only no10, Redmond as the only right winger. That isn't good enough.

I'm not. In addition to Long Austin and JRod we need another striker, hopefully a speed merchant plus an attacking midfielder of the Wyneldum sort. Add in Redmond and Tadic and that is a decent front line squad.

We potentially have at least 10-15 more games (plus the travelling) compared to last season and so we need more options.

Austin having an injury "problem" is an utter myth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Austin

And as much as you think writing off JRod is the sensible and safe option, I think you (and many others) are writing him off far too soon.

I anticipate a hugely successful season for them both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a myth pal.

Redmond was the extra option when we had Mane and Pelle. Still think we needed a no10 then. Now we need a striker, no10 and winger. And not signing competition, but actual first team investment. I'm sure we'll get them, but I doubt it'll be done before the season starts. Which is fair enough, most clubs hold on to players as long as possible.

Adrian is bang on. Still need a No.10 & a multi-functional attacker.

Why AOC? He has neither a good goal nor assist record and a poor injury record.

As a youngster, he was outstanding for us. Quick, good passer and crosser with both feet. His career under Wenger hasn't been great, but I reckon playing for a club that actually values him will do wonders for his confidence.

He's got the ability, no doubt.