Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Stones to Man City for £50m. Brace yourselves for Koeman triggering VVD buyout clause

But Everton are a massive club who invented the dugout, how can they lose one of their best young players? Does he not understand the history of the place?

Looooooool. I bloody hope so. He's awful at CB. :lol:

Agree. Koeman wants that Dutch NT job too much. Too fixated on paying massive overs for Dutch players. £30m for Witsel? lol. £25m for Wijnaldum? lol. Would laugh if they paid £20m+ for Blind.

Agree. Koeman wants that Dutch NT job too much. Too fixated on paying massive overs for Dutch players. £30m for Witsel? lol. £25m for Wijnaldum? lol. Would laugh if they paid £20m+ for Blind.

Witsel is Belgian. High fees but all decent players and they obviously have money to spend otherwise he wouldn't have moved there.

Witsel joined Zenit for €40m a few years back, they're unlikely to want much less than what they paid for him and he is a good player, so in todays market £30m is probably about right... Plus he's Belgian...

Newcastle have no need to sell any players and have set a very high price tag on Wijnaldum in a bid to keep him there, as they want him in their team next season unless they can get silly money for him, and Everton would have to pay up if they really wanted him.

So where are we still short?

Definitely need a new striker with Pelle gone. I reckon we also need a central attacking midfielder, goalkeeper, and possibly another wide attacking player. Judging by our business over the last few windows we'll be spending approx 10-12mil on a player, so using the money we've made from sales so far this window to buy the noted positions we should break even.

Surely we must be the only club in league to be able to say that?!

I for one would be very happy with this but would love to see the club spend some additional money on developing the area around St. Mary's.

Looooooool. I bloody hope so. He's awful at CB. :lol:

People might have said that about Koeman as a player at centre back.

Like Blind, he wasn't the tallest and wasn't blessed with pace. But like Koeman, Blind is an intelligent player who reads the game well, and also uses the ball well from the back.

That was a huge element of Koeman's game and what made him the player he was.

You might not be able to argue that Blind is as good as Koeman was, but I don't think Blind is an awful CB.

Besides, it might keep daddy Danny Blind happy and sweet for when he gets the bullet as head coach of the Dutch national team, although Bert van Oostveen has got to go as well before Koeman will consider taking that.

Only if we were mug enough to insert one!

if he has one and it is 45m then no problem if it is 15m then problem, given the clubs record what do we think is likely? I would suggest there is no release cause but we may have an agreement with him that if in a couple of years a champs leage club comes in with a big money offer he can go.

Can't believe poster thinks Blind is on par with koeman as a player, he was superb, tough tackling, fantastic free kick taker (has he still record for most goals for defender) and read the brilliantly, except when platt went past him and got dragged down, which effectively got Taylor the sack lol

I think Koeman would be aware that if they get 50 million for Stones and then he comes to us for VvD then the price will be very similar. Stones is young with potential but Virgil is mid twenties and approaching his prime. He's also just signed a new long term contract so Saints would be able to play VERY hard ball.

In todays stupid market, if Stones is worth 50 mill then so is Virgil.

I think Koeman would be aware that if they get 50 million for Stones and then he comes to us for VvD then the price will be very similar. Stones is young with potential but Virgil is mid twenties and approaching his prime. He's also just signed a new long term contract so Saints would be able to play VERY hard ball.

In todays stupid market, if Stones is worth 50 mill then so is Virgil.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if they offered to pay that.

If Stones is worth £50m the VvD is worth £100m!!

IF we were to sell him this summer for anything less than something north of £75/80m then I would be very disappointed and although the length of contract will drive up any price the negative message this sale in particular would send would be devastating. I am very confident that it won't happen but its obvious why the scenario is mooted!!!

If Stones is worth £50m the VvD is worth £100m!!

IF we were to sell him this summer for anything less than something north of £75/80m then I would be very disappointed and although the length of contract will drive up any price the negative message this sale in particular would send would be devastating. I am very confident that it won't happen but its obvious why the scenario is mooted!!!

This, i think there have been enough sales for one summer and with the length of VVD's contract we shouldnt be selling for less than 60-70m everton and kooman can do one

Southampton, Stoke and Everton have shown interest in Feyenoord defender Terence Kongolo.

The 22-year-old Holland international will be allowed to leave this summer with Feyenoord keen to bring in funds to strengthen elsewhere.

Kongolo, whose younger brother Rodney is at Manchester City, made his debut under Ronald Koeman at Feyenoord in 2012 and was part of Louis Van Gaal's World Cup squad in Brazil two years ago.

He is a left-sided centre-back who can also play at left-back and Feyenoord want around £10million.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3690128/Chelsea-vow-hold-star-Nemanja-Matic-despite-midfielder-Manchester-United-

Cant see him wanting to go to Everton, we all know Koeman was lightly pushed towards their way and VVD is way better than that middling club, personally I think he's destined for a Madrid or Barcelona.

Naah he'll spend 6 years with us ;)

Naah he'll spend 6 years with us ;)

He might go this summer but I seriously doubt it will be to Everton, more likely a year maybe two and then to a big champions league club.

But yeh if they sell Stones for £50 million then I'd expect £70 million for VVD.

He might go this summer but I seriously doubt it will be to Everton, more likely a year maybe two and then to a big champions league club.

But yeh if they sell Stones for £50 million then I'd expect £70 million for VVD.

He will not go this summer.

Would anyone take Ricky Lambert for a season?
Not even if we didn't pay him a salary. His legs went ages ago. He'll do someone a job back in League One, maybe the Championship if he's lucky.

One we were linked with;

Adam Nagy to Bologna for 1.25m. Seems a bargain for an international midfielder and just 21

A bargain, even if he doesn't have much experience. Well done Bologna.

He will not go this summer.
Agree, while contracts aren't worth much these days, the six year contract he signed at least shows he's happy here at the moment. That said, there's so much silly money being flashed about, if an insane amount got offered to Saints, and then an insane amount got offered to VVD, he'd probably go. After all I bet Saints didn't think they'd get £13 million for Pelle, and I bet Pelle didn't think he'd be the 6th highest paid footballer in the world! It could happen to anyone.

That might actually be the most deluded statement I've read on here for months. Van Dijk was our top player and a solid centre back, for Southampton, for one year. Before he played in the SPL. I think he could be worth 40m in a years time if he performs at the same level. Stones is young, English and with arguably more potential

That might actually be the most deluded statement I've read on here for months. Van Dijk was our top player and a solid centre back, for Southampton, for one year. Before he played in the SPL. I think he could be worth 40m in a years time if he performs at the same level. Stones is young, English and with arguably more potential

Van Dijk is only 25, he has a 5 year contract, has already shown hes much better than Stones has been and will get better as well. He's pretty much the complete centre-back.

If it takes £50 million to take Stones from Everton (who wants to move as well) then we should be expecting even more, a better player with a longer contract, doesn't want to move, then it should be silly money.

Stones is massively over rated anyway, but this is a league where Man City paid over £30 million for Mangala, £35 million for Otamendi, Man Utd have just paid £30 million for Bailly, who just one year ago cost £4.8 million and is unproven in the Premiership. Koulibally is about to move for over £50 million apparently.

Players are going for silly money and players with premiership experience are going for even sillier money. Why would we accept less than silly money for one of the best defenders in the league last year who has just signed a 5 year contract, in the current market?

Edited by tajjuk

Van Dijk is only 25, he has a 5 year contract, has already shown hes much better than Stones has been and will get better as well. He's pretty much the complete centre-back.

If it takes £50 million to take Stones from Everton (who wants to move as well) then we should be expecting even more, a better player with a longer contract, doesn't want to move, then it should be silly money.

Stones is massively over rated anyway, but this is a league where Man City paid over £30 million for Mangala, £35 million for Otamendi, Man Utd have just paid £30 million for Bailly, who just one year ago cost £4.8 million and is unproven in the Premiership. Koulibally is about to move for over £50 million apparently.

Players are going for silly money and players with premiership experience are going for even sillier money. Why would we accept less than silly money for one of the best defenders in the league last year who has just signed a 5 year contract, in the current market?

It is better than that, he signed a 6 year deal this summer.

I don't know much about Ziyech, but it sounds like he could be a great purchase, for a reasonable amount of money too. Given how many people on here have touted his name, I can't believe that the club radar would have missed him, so have to have faith that there is a good reason if we don't go for him!

Agree that Sigurdsson would be a brilliant signing. Would also seem a good fit for him, but for some reason I just can't see it happening.

In Ziyech 100 appearances in the Eredivisie he got 39 goals and 37 assist. Known for his free kick ability as well as his longshots. Plays a #10 role

And is available for £8m so he can be a bargain