Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Where please? Seen him say not at West ham, that was all over the papers.

With our obvious Nigeria link (2 players in the new scholars) there surely may still be a slim chance it's us over Leicester.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19573

The font of all knowledge that is allnigeriasoccer.com...! Seriously though, I think Leicester have got this. I think our name's just been used.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/agency-working-close-southampton-transfer-deal-club-can-meet-asking-price/

Yet another Dennis Praet story. This time, the player prefers Sevilla, but Saints have the money to meet Anderlecht's asking price and Sevilla believe his representatives are working to try and close a deal with Southampton. Also, Praet recently said in an interview that he is in no rush to leave Anderlecht and may just run down his contract rather than make any move this summer.

Maybe they want Cedric for that team then in the hope that he develops . We really could benefit from a higher quality RB

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I can't make sense of that. On one hand you accept that Barca could be looking at him as a first team prospect (which by definition must mean he is pretty good now); but then you say we could benefit from a higher quality RB. What, higher quality that the one you theoretically think Barca could want?

I can't make sense of that. On one hand you accept that Barca could be looking at him as a first team prospect (which by definition must mean he is pretty good now); but then you say we could benefit from a higher quality RB. What, higher quality that the one you theoretically think Barca could want?

No no , I mean maybe they want him for the B team in the hope he develops into a player who can play in their first team . I would be very surprised if they wanted him for the 1st team unless he was a back up player .

I wouldn't think knowing how to defend is a big requirement for a Barca fullback. More important how well they cross and bomb forward. Can see Cedric fitting that mould.

He doesn't exactly bomb on, though. Seldom beats a man and likes to check back to a supporting player.

Edited by shurlock

No no , I mean maybe they want him for the B team in the hope he develops into a player who can play in their first team . I would be very surprised if they wanted him for the 1st team unless he was a back up player .

That's what I said... [emoji848]

That's what I said... [emoji848]

Well basically I think we need a better quality RB for now rather than a prospect . More than happy for Cedric to be a bench player and get rid of Martina .

Just would prefer a better RB to take the pressure off the CB's

Sorry if I'm not making my point very well . Medication isn't helping my brain function

He doesn't exactly bomb on, though. Seldom beats a man and likes to check back to a supporting player.

Isn't that pretty much like 99% of players now.

I think he has looked good for Portugal and on some occasions for us, but I recon Koeman not giving him a decent run of games affected his confidence.

How dare he turn down Everton.

The ever reliable John Percy @ The Telegraph reports Musa was LCFC's No.1 target this summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/04/leicester-city-poised-to-complete-signing-of-ahmed-musa-for-club/

Doesn't mention any other interest.

Looks a good player though - Leicester doing a good job, recruitment-wise. (As you'd expect)

:mcinnes:

You think a 24 year old current Portuguese international right back is going to play in the Spanish 3rd tier? Really?

I don't think he is good enough for us at this stage . Hopefully he can improve but the fact Martina gets picked ahead of him speaks volumes .

Would rather replace Cedric or drop him to being a back up player .

For the first time in years our main transfer targets this year should be the players who are already here. They are going to give us our best ever Premier League finish and possibly come within 2 points of a Champions League place. Without the injuries to Forster and Bertrand, we'd probably be 3rd now. We are not going to get players much better than that so let's spend the transfer budget on keeping them here.

Posted less than a month ago, that hasn't turned out too well. I think we'd be pretty excited if we heard right now that we were signing players of the calibre of Mane, Wanyama and Pelle from Premier League rivals. On the plus side, I see Redmond as an upgrade on Juanmi if that's who he's been bought to replace and I'm glad we've got rid of Steckelenburg, especially to Everton

Sounds like someone has responded to the (more realistic) Bellerin link and thought 'are there any other short, Southern-European right backs playing in the premier league?'

The ever reliable John Percy @ The Telegraph reports Musa was LCFC's No.1 target this summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/04/leicester-city-poised-to-complete-signing-of-ahmed-musa-for-club/

Doesn't mention any other interest.

Looks a good player though - Leicester doing a good job, recruitment-wise. (As you'd expect)

that is disappointing. £16 million will likely turn out to be a bargain.

He has major pace, although looking at his YouTube highlights that is his only one move - kick the ball out in front of himself and outrun the defender to it. I think savy PL defenders will get wise to that pretty quickly.

Will be interesting to see how he turns out. He could have been our Mane replacement with £18 million left over to spend on a quality AM

that is disappointing. £16 million will likely turn out to be a bargain.

He has major pace, although looking at his YouTube highlights that is his only one move - kick the ball out in front of himself and outrun the defender to it. I think savy PL defenders will get wise to that pretty quickly.

Will be interesting to see how he turns out. He could have been our Mane replacement with £18 million left over to spend on a quality AM

Not much we can do if he wants Champions League football.

One bad night and they could be out - too much emphasis is placed on the Champions league - its just a euphemism for wanting more cash

Exactly. Given that our league usually has 6 teams battling for 4 spots, saying you are moving for CL is a little hollow. This is exacerbated by LCFC's appearance, which I imagine will be fleeting (ie not next season), so joining LCFC or even Spurs (most likely) for CL, is a little nonsensical. Other leagues around Europe are far more certain to appear in CL (or is taht an ill founded impression that I have?).

One bad night and they could be out - too much emphasis is placed on the Champions league - its just a euphemism for wanting more cash

True but it's also a decent stage to advertise your wares if get a few games under your belt.

http://sport.le360.ma/marocains-du-monde/transfert-southampton-propose-30-millions-deuros-lille-pour-boufal-12611?utm_content=bufferc4663&utm_medium=Le360fr&utm_source=Twitter.com&utm_campaign=Publipostage

A dodgy translation...

"The path of the Premier League seems to specify daily for Sofiane Boufal. Another English club adds to the list of clubs interested in Moroccan international services. This is Southampton who have made an offer of 30 million euros.

Sofiane Boufal has not yet decided about his future. But according to several sources, the middle LOSC would be very close to the English league. Several Premier League clubs have also expressed her interest for his services, such as Chelsea and Arsenal.

Apart from the great English training, Southampton also entered the race to recruit the Lion of the Atlas. Club officials have indeed made an offer of 30 million euros to the direction of Lille.

If we follow the logic, Sofiane Boufal should sign in Southampton that seeks to overcome the departure of the Senegalese international, Sadio Mané, sold to Liverpool there are only a few days, against 36 million euros. Recruitment that had also ruled out the Boufal track to join the Reds."

I don't think he is good enough for us at this stage . Hopefully he can improve but the fact Martina gets picked ahead of him speaks volumes .

Would rather replace Cedric or drop him to being a back up player .

What exactly did Martina do wrong for the last few months of the season? I thought he was really good in the games I watched live.

At least they avoid all the big league winners in their group for being champions. Wouldn't be surprised if they get out of the group as runners up.

What exactly did Martina do wrong for the last few months of the season? I thought he was really good in the games I watched live.

He is ok but very limited . Everything he does ( other than the goal ) is ok'ish .

His positioning is poor and is prone to mistakes .

I don't feel that he can really deliver anything but ' OK ' performances .

If we are to push on we need better than OK .

Good back up player and has an excellent attitude though .

I thought he did well. More robust a defender than Cedric, but Cedric was quicker and crossed better. Both were preferable than having Yoshi at RB. What ever happens to Martina, in my book, he is welcome back to SMS at any time just for that goal.

http://sport.le360.ma/marocains-du-monde/transfert-southampton-propose-30-millions-deuros-lille-pour-boufal-12611?utm_content=bufferc4663&utm_medium=Le360fr&utm_source=Twitter.com&utm_campaign=Publipostage

A dodgy translation...

"The path of the Premier League seems to specify daily for Sofiane Boufal. Another English club adds to the list of clubs interested in Moroccan international services. This is Southampton who have made an offer of 30 million euros.

Sofiane Boufal has not yet decided about his future. But according to several sources, the middle LOSC would be very close to the English league. Several Premier League clubs have also expressed her interest for his services, such as Chelsea and Arsenal.

Apart from the great English training, Southampton also entered the race to recruit the Lion of the Atlas. Club officials have indeed made an offer of 30 million euros to the direction of Lille.

If we follow the logic, Sofiane Boufal should sign in Southampton that seeks to overcome the departure of the Senegalese international, Sadio Mané, sold to Liverpool there are only a few days, against 36 million euros. Recruitment that had also ruled out the Boufal track to join the Reds."

Looks decent! Like a more direct Tadic.

He is ok but very limited . Everything he does ( other than the goal ) is ok'ish .

His positioning is poor and is prone to mistakes .

I don't feel that he can really deliver anything but ' OK ' performances .

If we are to push on we need better than OK .

Good back up player and has an excellent attitude though .

Well I noticed his positioning was generally really good in the games I watched,

Can you name multiple times where he's made big mistakes? Bearing in mind every player probably makes at least 1 or 2 a season.

Made an awesome pass for Tadic to set up the opening Mane goal against Man City that certainly showed he wasn't "very limited"

Full back is a position you can afford to be slightly limited, Gary Neville got to play at United his whole career putting in 'ok' performances. They still won everything.

Edited by Saint IQ

Boufal and Praet both believable targets, both look like they CDAJFU. Boufal I would guess is first choice, but Praet is begging Sevilla to come in/leaking that story to Saints in hopes we will make efforts for him first. If Sevilla were interested in Praet then why would his agents be working him to go to Saints...

Well I noticed his positioning was generally really good in the games I watched,

Can you name multiple times where he's made big mistakes? Bearing in mind every player probably makes at least 1 or 2 a season.

Made an awesome pass for Tadic to set up the opening Mane goal against Man City that certainty showed he wasn't "very limited"

Full back is a position you can afford to be slightly limited, Gary Neville got to play at United his whole career putting in 'ok' performances. They still won everything.

I feel we should be looking for someone similar to Clyne in ability .

I can't name specific moments in games , I usually struggle to remember to wear trousers before leaving for work .

He just doesn't give off the dangerous vibe like a full back should . He is solid'ish but unspectacular.

Boufal and Praet both believable targets, both look like they CDAJFU. Boufal I would guess is first choice, but Praet is begging Sevilla to come in/leaking that story to Saints in hopes we will make efforts for him first. If Sevilla were interested in Praet then why would his agents be working him to go to Saints...

Praet more likely at around £10m. Not sure we'd spend £25m on somebody, but Boufal looks a hell of a player. Bit sulky, but we could get if we want a sulky AMC who scores & assists, we could get Ziyech for less ££'s :)

Praet more likely at around £10m. Not sure we'd spend £25m on somebody, but Boufal looks a hell of a player. Bit sulky, but we could get if we want a sulky AMC who scores & assists, we could get Ziyech for less ££'s :)

Saints spending 30 million on a player - who would have thought it. i assumed we would have around the 10-15m level for a long time.

Oh my..... Could it be the club getting serious about champions league football?

More likely that the £10-15m players have increased to £20m+ for English clubs due to the increase in the TV deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the last few years we have sold 3-4 players for between 20 & 35odd million pounds. So far we have been very successful in recruiting within the 8-15m bracket. Unfortunately this bracket needs to shift up for two reasons; firstly we are aiming get higher each year and so the pool of players we need are going to be more expensive. Secondly everyone on the Premier League has vastly more money and so there are people clubs willing to chuck money around - albeit with a far less robust long term business model than ours may I suggest - and so we need to spend more for those 2-3 really good players we need to improve our team, not our squad.

If Boufal is acquired for £25m then it's obviously a big leap for our record transfer and although the actual number seems huge for us, these numbers are all relative. We as fans should forget the actual number and compare ins v outs window to window. I would also hope we spend 15-20m on a defensive midfielder. I would imagine then we would also get another striker for fairly decent money. Any other additions like perhaps a RB (although I don't think we need one) and a young CB and of course a back up keeper will likely be purchases in the 5-10m bracket.

I can see us spending 80-90m on new players but of course that's likely to be a net spend of 30-40. Sounds big but not in real terms.

Over the last few years we have sold 3-4 players for between 20 & 35odd million pounds. So far we have been very successful in recruiting within the 8-15m bracket. Unfortunately this bracket needs to shift up for two reasons; firstly we are aiming get higher each year and so the pool of players we need are going to be more expensive. Secondly everyone on the Premier League has vastly more money and so there are people clubs willing to chuck money around - albeit with a far less robust long term business model than ours may I suggest - and so we need to spend more for those 2-3 really good players we need to improve our team, not our squad.

If Boufal is acquired for £25m then it's obviously a big leap for our record transfer and although the actual number seems huge for us, these numbers are all relative. We as fans should forget the actual number and compare ins v outs window to window. I would also hope we spend 15-20m on a defensive midfielder. I would imagine then we would also get another striker for fairly decent money. Any other additions like perhaps a RB (although I don't think we need one) and a young CB and of course a back up keeper will likely be purchases in the 5-10m bracket.

I can see us spending 80-90m on new players but of course that's likely to be a net spend of 30-40. Sounds big but not in real terms.

You are right but it is so crazy when the rest of the world would still take the lower values if it wasn't for badly run clubs like Liverpool immediately spunking what appears to be as much money as they can on average players. Throws the whole thing out of whack.

k

I don't think it would be a shock to anyone if we spent that amount, I mean really you are talking about the equivalent of us having sold no one and then spending about £30 million to improve last years squad, with the TV deal + our previous years of being transfer neutral that would not be unexpected.

Spending £80 - 90 million looks massive for us, until you realise we have already brought in £36 million for Mane + £2 million for Juanmi + £11 million for Wanyama.

If we sell Pelle as well for £16 million, that could easily be £64 million in sales alone, plus we will have have lost the wages of Mane, Wanyama, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Juanmi and Pelle from the wage bill, that is probably £200 - 250k a week wages.

Even if the likes of VVD, Forster and JWP have had increases (+ Redmond) we still probably have £150k a week on wages compared to what we had last season.

Spending £11 million so far, buying a couple of £20 - 25 million players is certainly doable, even if itsn't are way.

The cynic in me though suspects the club might make noises about these sort of targets to placate the fans and those targets then go to Chelsea or Liverpool etc. and the club says they tried.

I don't think it would be a shock to anyone if we spent that amount, I mean really you are talking about the equivalent of us having sold no one and then spending about £30 million to improve last years squad, with the TV deal + our previous years of being transfer neutral that would not be unexpected.

Spending £80 - 90 million looks massive for us, until you realise we have already brought in £36 million for Mane + £2 million for Juanmi + £11 million for Wanyama.

If we sell Pelle as well for £16 million, that could easily be £64 million in sales alone, plus we will have have lost the wages of Mane, Wanyama, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Juanmi and Pelle from the wage bill, that is probably £200 - 250k a week wages.

+ £5m compensation for Koeman & staff