Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I would entertain the idea of Berahino because I don't think he's a bad kid from what i've seen/heard, more badly advised and possibly not the brightest. Probably knows his 'big club' move ship has sailed and we'd be his next best option i'd imagine.

His advisor up until recently was Aidy Ward (Sterling's agent), so it's possibly you're right. I think he may have changed agent in the last year though.

Pretty sure Pulis said Berahino had been badly advised and had a bit of a rush of blood, which is probably the problem with twitter, to easy to vent without thinking it through.

He was pretty terrible last season though, 4 goals in 17 starts with 14 sub appearances. However West Brom are not really known for their attacking play and you have to wonder whether his heart has ever really been in it.

He kind of fits in the similar mould to Redmond, young, english, clearly got some talent but struggled to show it in a poor team.

Pretty sure Pulis said Berahino had been badly advised and had a bit of a rush of blood, which is probably the problem with twitter, to easy to vent without thinking it through.

He was pretty terrible last season though, 4 goals in 17 starts with 14 sub appearances. However West Brom are not really known for their attacking play and you have to wonder whether his heart has ever really been in it.

He kind of fits in the similar mould to Redmond, young, english, clearly got some talent but struggled to show it in a poor team.

A bit like when we got Bertrand.

A bit like when we got Bertrand.

Bertrand was a lot lower risk though because of it was a loan with a view to buy so if he had turned out to have continued his poor form then we would have just no bought him.

If those reports on Berahino are correct (still suspect we are being used to get others to hurry up their offers) then he'd be a record transfer for us, as we are supposedly out bidding Stoke's £16 million, so we are probably paying £17-18 million for him.

Get your point though that both were coming from fairly poor seasons probably due to be unsettled, probably shows how much the right set up and environment can have a massive impact on a player. Shame none of our players seem to realise that and just see £££.

Like Vardy, he seems to have worked out that for him as a person playing staying at Leicester, where he is idolised and they play to his strengths is better than risking upsetting it all by moving to Arsenal.

If we are trying to sign Sadio Berahino (11 caps 10 goals) it would seem that we're trying to sign young English current or recent under 21 international players as a priority this summer, throw in the Ox as well and we could have a midfield and attack of

------------Reed-JWP------------- (Romeu, Clasie, Wanyama replacement)

Redmond-Chamberlain-Berahino (Davis + one or two more signings)

-------------Austin----------------- (Long, Jay Rodriguez, Pelle or replacement)

Puel plays 2 up front.... 4-3-1-2

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

http://stmarysmusings.sbnation.com/2016/6/26/12033404/claude-puel-who-is-he

Puel typically plays in a 3-5-2 or a 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond) formation with his teams according to this.....I thought we had a policy of having the same formation throughout all age groups which was 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1......:?

A good coach will find a system to sit the players, the clubs philosophy is to play 4-3-3 and I expect that to carry on.

Probably why he played that system for Nice mainly due to Ben Arfa. I can't/can't be bother to find info on what he has played throughout his managerial career but would be surprised if it's just those systems he played for Nice last season

If we are trying to sign Sadio Berahino (11 caps 10 goals) it would seem that we're trying to sign young English current or recent under 21 international players as a priority this summer, throw in the Ox as well and we could have a midfield and attack of

------------Reed-JWP------------- (Romeu, Clasie, Wanyama replacement)

Redmond-Chamberlain-Berahino (Davis + one or two more signings)

-------------Austin----------------- (Long, Jay Rodriguez, Pelle or replacement)

We could have a nice amount of British players with some key signings like Ox, Chambers, Morgan back, Behrahino -

Forster

Chambers-Fonte-VVD-Bertrand

Morgan-JWP

Redmond-Chamberlain-Jay Rod

Austin

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/claude-puel/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/1240/verein_id/417/datum_zu/2012-05-23/datum_ab/2016-06-30

4 3 1 2 mainly in 15/16

4 2 3 1 mainly in 14/15

4 2 3 1 & 4 3 3 def. In 13/14

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looks like it was for Ben Arfa then, and it clearly worked, sign of a good manager playing a system to suit the players at his disposal

Must have been linked with Tello every transfer window since promotion !!

Really? I've never heard of him. The one I have heard us linked with every window since promotion is Redmond! Townsend too. You'll also get the old return rumours for AOC/Walcott as well. Once the media link a club with someone, they don't let go! I guess it just depends on the type of player Dario Gradi wants when he's appointed ;)

I wonder if any club has ever seen themselves in a link in the media to a player and then thought "Oh, that's a good idea, he'd be good for us!" and then actually gone and signed him? They wouldn't admit it, of course, but it has to have happened!

re: Christian Tello - Can't see us signing another right winger!

It seems there are potentially 3/4 places that need improving/hiring into:

Back up Goal Keeper - Michael McGovern on a free?

DM - Loan with option for Tottenham to buy for that Atletico player.

AMC - Boufal / Ben Arfa

Striker - If Pelle goes.

Can't imagine there would be much more than that - especially as 3 of them, aside from wages, are basically free!

re: Christian Tello - Can't see us signing another right winger!

It seems there are potentially 3/4 places that need improving/hiring into:

Back up Goal Keeper - Michael McGovern on a free?

DM - Loan with option for Tottenham to buy for that Atletico player.

AMC - Boufal / Ben Arfa

Striker - If Pelle goes.

Can't imagine there would be much more than that - especially as 3 of them, aside from wages, are basically free!

Needs 1 other at least IMO. No replacement for Sadio in that list. (It's not Redmond, we needed a right-winger anyway)

Needs another forward to cover the combined loss of Gaston/Juanmi.

Needs 1 other at least IMO. No replacement for Sadio in that list. (It's not Redmond, we needed a right-winger anyway)

Needs another forward to cover the combined loss of Gaston/Juanmi.

If we sign Boufal I'd see that as the Mane replacement. Doubt we'll get him though.

Really doubt we would be after Ben Arfa with his attitude problems in the past, can't see him ticking the required boxes.

Same with Berahino really think thats also his agent stirring it up trying to get Stoke to commit.

Cant see us getting rid of 2 that caused issues to be replaced by 1 known one

Random link to Villa's Jordan Amavi.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/06/29/nice-drop-out-of-aston-villa-star-race-as-claude-puel-eyes-southampton-involvement/292819/?

*Please don't be linked to Bertrand departure*

Not a position we need players with Bertrand and Targett, (so definitely fingers crossed not linked to Bertrand out) but he did look very promising at the start of last season before a nasty injury ruled him out for most of it...

Not a position we need players with Bertrand and Targett, (so definitely fingers crossed not linked to Bertrand out) but he did look very promising at the start of last season before a nasty injury ruled him out for most of it...

I think he is still not fit.

This story's in today's "Nice Matin", would give the link but there's a paywall. Says Claude Puel dreams of bringing him to Saints - so much for the black box...Amavi is said to be very appreciative of Claude and would be delighted to continue his career under him - maybe not hard if his other choice is staying at Villa. But the paper also says his return to Nice - previously anticipated - is no longer happening.

Michiel Jongsma ‏@JongsmaJongsma

Hakim Ziyech playing a friendly with Twente today while Championship players & fringe players in PL are subject to 10+ million pounds bids.

Isn't that because interested clubs are waiting to see if Twente go down the toilet so they can get him on a free?

Isn't that because interested clubs are waiting to see if Twente go down the toilet so they can get him on a free?

Well yeah kinda I guess, De Graafschap is going to court the 5e of July so it's going to take a week or two, maybe longer, before that's all done.

And apparently there's a lot of people that will be involved when Ziyech would make a transfer. I think I read somewhere that Twente only gets like 40% when they sell him.

Complicated one really.

Puel's Nice played with the full backs as their main source of width, so links to more fullbacks is understandable.

Though with Bertrand and Targett you'd think left side we are stronger than the Cedric/Martina.

Still think Morgan, Chambers, Ox. plus back up keeper, maybe Ben Arfa on a free. Reckon we could get that lot for about £55 million (£20 mill for Morgan and Ox, £15 million for Chambers) which is only around £8 million spend on our sales amount (£34 million Mane + £11 million Wanyama + £2 mill Juanmi)

Puel's Nice played with the full backs as their main source of width, so links to more fullbacks is understandable.

Though with Bertrand and Targett you'd think left side we are stronger than the Cedric/Martina.

Still think Morgan, Chambers, Ox. plus back up keeper, maybe Ben Arfa on a free. Reckon we could get that lot for about £55 million (£20 mill for Morgan and Ox, £15 million for Chambers) which is only around £8 million spend on our sales amount (£34 million Mane + £11 million Wanyama + £2 mill Juanmi)

Ben Arfa off to PSG, Morgan won't come back here, Chambers and Ox would do me though. Cant see it but can dream.

Ben Arfa off to PSG, Morgan won't come back here, Chambers and Ox would do me though. Cant see it but can dream.

If he's surplus to requirements at Utd as being reported and Everton want him I don't really see why not and would be disappointing if we at least didn't try.

We need a first team DM and he's one of the best around and could be available.