Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Read an article a few days ago that Southend's GK, Daniel Bentley is out of contract at the end of the season.

Have read some good reports about him and think he might be a good back up for FF next season (with a view to taking over when FF f's off to a mega deal in a season or so).

Read an article a few days ago that Southend's GK, Daniel Bentley is out of contract at the end of the season.

Have read some good reports about him and think he might be a good back up for FF next season (with a view to taking over when FF f's off to a mega deal in a season or so).

He is vey good but a tad under the level at the moment we would need. Great shot stopper and quick on his feet with good distribution too, but sometimes his decision making is suspect and has lead to a few of the goals against the shrimper this season. He could be a good bet for the future, a season on loan at a champ club would ben needed though IMHO.

Source: being at Roots Hall a lot this season.

There is a whisper going around that Saints have an pre-agreement to sign Bradley Dack from Gillingham in the Summer. Not exactly the most exciting news (if it is true), but he is well regarded in League 1 and still fairly young.

Voted L1 Player of the Year at tonights FLAs.

Walcott on £140k a week, he won't be stepping down.

unbelievable really he gets paid that when he plays 10 games a season and plays well in about 4 of them. Given Arsenal still cant win the EPL when City, Utd and Chelsea have had the worst seasons for 5 years say it all about them really. If i was Ox or Theo or Gibbs id want out of there PDQ if i cared nore about playing than getting paid

He is vey good but a tad under the level at the moment we would need. Great shot stopper and quick on his feet with good distribution too, but sometimes his decision making is suspect and has lead to a few of the goals against the shrimper this season. He could be a good bet for the future, a season on loan at a champ club would ben needed though IMHO.

Pancake - what about Jack Payne? Seen him 2-3 times this season and not ready for PL yet but he reminded me of a certain number 20 we had in League when we were there - a bit of acceleration to get past a player without being express, quick feet, can make or score goals.

Bradley Dack is an interesting rumour - Bristol City tried to buy him in January but he stayed put, could be that PL clubs interested as well. Might be one for the longer-term to develop but has had a fantastic season at Gillingham and could be a good late developer.

Better back up option than Gazzaniga though from what yo've seen of him ?

For £8M YES. Don't want to have to pay the full £14M they paid, but if we could get him at £8M I would do it. He has looked very good last few games.

He was awful against us aside from the goal. I wouldn't pay £8 for him.

Have I? Seems to be a couple of sources and he's linked with one of the biggest clubs in the world so not surprising his future is uncertain.

Indeed whenever two papers put the story out on the same night they have obviously been prepped by someone.

Either Forster's Agent trying to get him a better new contract, Chelsea trying to force the hand of whoever they are interested in, or there is some truth to it.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Indees whenever two papers put the story out on the same night they have obviously been prepped by someone.

Either Forster's Agent trying to get him a better new contract, Chelsea trying to force the hand of whoever they are interested in, or there is some truth to it.

I wasn't talking about Forster to be fair, but I can't be bothered to keep it going, despite how hilarious it could have been.

That Mirror story is a very "early window" thing and relies on quite a lot of other dominos to fall first anyway, so nothing to worry about yet.

Indeed whenever two papers put the story out on the same night they have obviously been prepped by someone.

Nothing like a good bit of conspiracy to start the day...

Are you a bit of a worry head in life?;)

I wasn't talking about Forster to be fair, but I can't be bothered to keep it going, despite how hilarious it could have been.

That Mirror story is a very "early window" thing and relies on quite a lot of other dominos to fall first anyway, so nothing to worry about yet.

Plus the Mirror go through transfer targets in rapid fashion.

Wanyama was Arsenal's nailed on summer signing a few weeks ago, two articles a week on it. Now he doesn't get a mention.

I'm sure a few clubs would be keen on Forster but as you say lots would need to fall into place first.

Nothing like a good bit of conspiracy to start the day...

Are you a bit of a worry head in life?;)

What is conspiracy about that post?

Its just how stories get into the media isn't it, someone needs a message out there for whatever reason. If nobody fed it to them, then two Journos wouldnt end up with the same story on the same day. Doesn't mean its true, just that someone wants that in the public domain.

Do you disagree ALWAYS_SFC?

I don't think Forster will go anywhere this summer anyway.

Edited by Saint Charlie

What is conspiracy about that post?

Its just how stories get into the media isn't it, someone needs a message out there for whatever reason. If nobody fed it to them, then two Journos wouldnt end up with the same story on the same day. Doesn't mean its true, just that someone wants that in the public domain.

Do you disagree ALWAYS_SFC?

I don't think Forster will go anywhere this summer anyway.

The suggestion that someone is up to something......hth

Pancake - what about Jack Payne? Seen him 2-3 times this season and not ready for PL yet but he reminded me of a certain number 20 we had in League when we were there - a bit of acceleration to get past a player without being express, quick feet, can make or score goals.

Bradley Dack is an interesting rumour - Bristol City tried to buy him in January but he stayed put, could be that PL clubs interested as well. Might be one for the longer-term to develop but has had a fantastic season at Gillingham and could be a good late developer.

Payne is class, really like him as a player. Never gives up and has skill to back it up. Bit short though and would need to work on his power to be in the Prem. Would love to have a punt on him. My son would be livid (I'm losing him to Southend slowly, dammit)

Better back up option than Gazzaniga though from what yo've seen of him ?

Hmmm. Bentley is more... I don't know. Trustworthy? Bit harsh on Gazzaniga but you feel his concentration isn't there. Not much between then apart from the fact Gazza has had a couple of season in and around the first team at a Prem club. Nothing to say Bentley couldn't be better with the same chance.

Who will we get to replace Koeman when he leaves this summer for Barcelona? Need another big name, Jose?

Gary Rowett.. Koeman's already stated many times he's a man of his word though and will at the very least see out the remainder of his contract.

Gary Rowett.. Koeman's already stated many times he's a man of his word though and will at the very least see out the remainder of his contract.

If Barcelona come in for him, he will be gone like a shot. Ralph already said the club would not stand in his way.

Probably out of our price range but as Liverpool clearly don't want Benteke would people want him at saints? I don't think he's a bad player in a team that plays to his strengths the sort of team that have, for example, the highest crossing stats in the division,....

Edited by doddisalegend

I'd like to see Chris Martin replace Graziano Pelle. A definite upgrade. Strong & a good finisher.

He's not in the same class as Pelle and certainly no upgrade on him. He's scored just 1 goal in 8 games for Scotland. There are lots of strikers younger and better than Martin we could buy, like Borja Baston and Vincent Janssen.

Having Jay Rod back is like a new....

I'd pinch Borini off Sunderland.

Kirkoff would be my choice if we can prise anyone away from there in the event they go down. Unfortunately though I'm expecting Fat Slob Sam will keep them up.

Kirkoff would be my choice if we can prise anyone away from there in the event they go down. Unfortunately though I'm expecting Fat Slob Sam will keep them up.

Yes, what a fantastic buy Kirchhoff has been for Sunderland, and he's still only 25. He's definitely one of the best defensive midfielders I've seen at St Mary's this season, and would be the obvious replacement for Wanyama if he left. But, if Sunderland stay up, they won't need to sell him.

How do you think football transfer stories, both speculative, made up and truthful get into the paper/on Sky etc without someone, somewhere, in some role, being up to something?

I treat them all as made up until they become reality, discussing hearsay is pointless

I treat them all as made up until they become reality, discussing hearsay is pointless

It's not pointless as it provokes discussion around perceived team needs, ambition and means. It affects public perception of a club and can influence supporter opinions. You can of course dismiss that it has any semblance of truth until it is proven as fact because there is so much nonsense published in the media but it's worth discussion in my opinion.

I am open minded after laughing off the initial article that Caulker was wanted by Liverpool

:|

I'd completely forgotten about that deal.

(Likewise, I was looking at our signings from a couple of summers ago and also had forgotten about Taider).

Edited by SuperSAINT

Because there's no limit of space now. No need to narrow it down to better sources for print, can just throw endless rumours around all day every day and then whatever transfers happen be able to say look we called it.

Reckon two Journalists just make up rumours then and happen to print the same rumour on the same day?

Without anyone feeding the info to them (regardless of the validity of the source)?

Reckon two Journalists just make up rumours then and happen to print the same rumour on the same day?

Without anyone feeding the info to them (regardless of the validity of the source)?

Newspaper print speculation to try to drum up interest in their respective papers and some actully fall for it

You don't like discussing heresay, you don't like discussing rumours, you don't like anyone that has an opinion. Are you sure soccerball mongboards are the place for you sir?

You don't like discussing heresay, you don't like discussing rumours, you don't like anyone that has an opinion. Are you sure soccerball mongboards are the place for you sir?

I love opinion just like to disagree with others if I think it's bollo ox and there is s fair bit of that on here, in think you will agree.

The speculative crap about us linked to xyz player or our xyz player linked with a move here or wherever is just a total waste of time.

We get a few on here who work themselves in to such a state that they froth at the mouth at the garbage in print or on ****ter

and post it as fact and I can't resist calling it out