Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Utd are a mess at the moment and have a huge amount of work to do if they want to seriously consider a title challenge. By my count they need a new RB, CB, CDM, LW, RW, ST and possibly a new goalkeeper if De Gea goes. That's likely to be around 150mil worth of players, possibly more. I can see Mane going there in the summer for big money...

I'm saying Marc Batra to us to replace Jose based purely on this photo he posted today and he has been told he can leave apparently

CiHySOpXEAEOHmG.jpg:large

Yes please. West Ham are also interested. Along with every other player who has ever kicked a ball.

Too many West Ham fans involved in the media.

Utd are a mess at the moment and have a huge amount of work to do if they want to seriously consider a title challenge. By my count they need a new RB, CB, CDM, LW, RW, ST and possibly a new goalkeeper if De Gea goes. That's likely to be around 150mil worth of players, possibly more. I can see Mane going there in the summer for big money...

What they need is a manger who can get something out of an already expensive and talented squad.

Hasn't Barta also played RB?

We do need to replace Fonte at some stage, but not convinced we should be breaking up the VVD/Fonte partnership next season. With a better right back that back 4 and keeper would be excellent.

He has played at right back under Pep, but it's not his chosen position. He's fed up of not getting game time so will be looking for regular football, so can't imagine him happy sitting on the bench waiting for Fonte to relinquish his spot. Would we consider him for RB? At least Rom will have good things to say about us, I enjoy the little videos that he posts. Seems like a really nice, grounded, intelligent bloke.

I'm saying Marc Batra to us to replace Jose based purely on this photo he posted today and he has been told he can leave apparently

CiHySOpXEAEOHmG.jpg:large

I work 10 meters away from where this was taken... Need to keep more of an eye out!

Batra would be an outstanding signing for us. I still reckon Jose has got another season (maybe even 2) in him though.

Not convinced one trick pony much rather have Wijnaldum to give us another AM option (10 goals and 4 assists is pretty decent)

Four of those goals in one game (Norwich), no away goals and many Newcastle fans scathing of his attitude and performances (especially away from home).

He needs us more than we need him IMO.

Four of those goals in one game (Norwich), no away goals and many Newcastle fans scathing of his attitude and performances (especially away from home).

Last year's Eredivisie player of the year who has had Steve Mclaren manage him for most of the season in e terrible team, no wonder his confidence is shot.

Buy him for 7m (half price) and depay for 15m

So what he scored the same number of goals in one game from midfield than Steve Davis managed all season. 10 league goals in a **** Newcastle side is the same as Mane has managed in a decent saints side all season. Also his bad performances towards the end of the season coincided with him being tried as a DM rather than an AM.

He's an excellent player well suited to the Saints style of play.

You'd love him if he was at one of our rivals.

He's an excellent player well suited to the Saints style of play.

You'd love him if he was at one of our rivals.

Wouldn't be a terrible signing, of course not. But in the Townsend "meh" bucket for me going by the attitude and application comments of fans who have watched him every week.

Not convinced one trick pony much rather have Wijnaldum to give us another AM option (10 goals and 4 assists is pretty decent)

He has shown that when he is valued he can deliver. He has scored some spectacular goals for Newcastle and scored for England. What the hell more do you want for the quoted £8m

Bet Townsend central would do better than that. 4 assists is poor from his position and as you say, 4 goals in one game. Townsend would suit us better, good competition in the forward line. No one else I'd take from them.

You have to remember the black box rated him highely and being available at 8m he will be a bargain for Saints.

From the Mail on players most culpable for Newcastles relegation:

Georginio Wijnaldum: A £14.5million arrival who looked like the signing of the season during the early weeks of the campaign, scoring four in one match against Norwich.

But good players do it every week and Wijnaldum has barely lifted a leg since January.

He still has not scored away from St James’ Park and suspicions remain that the team coach stops at Durham Services and Wijnaldum swaps places with a body double.

Bet Townsend central would do better than that. 4 assists is poor from his position and as you say, 4 goals in one game. Townsend would suit us better, good competition in the forward line. No one else I'd take from them.

Steve Davis has three this season from that position playing in a much better team than newcastle

From the Mail on players most culpable for Newcastles relegation:

Georginio Wijnaldum: A £14.5million arrival who looked like the signing of the season during the early weeks of the campaign, scoring four in one match against Norwich.

But good players do it every week and Wijnaldum has barely lifted a leg since January.

He still has not scored away from St James’ Park and suspicions remain that the team coach stops at Durham Services and Wijnaldum swaps places with a body double.

How consistent were Tadic and Pelle for us in the first season, the only difference is newcastle don't have a squad strentgh that they can rest wijnaldum if he isnt performing.

For the first time in years our main transfer targets this year should be the players who are already here. They are going to give us our best ever Premier League finish and possibly come within 2 points of a Champions League place. Without the injuries to Forster and Bertrand, we'd probably be 3rd now. We are not going to get players much better than that so let's spend the transfer budget on keeping them here.

For the first time in years our main transfer targets this year should be the players who are already here. They are going to give us our best ever Premier League finish and possibly come within 2 points of a Champions League place. Without the injuries to Forster and Bertrand, we'd probably be 3rd now. We are not going to get players much better than that so let's spend the transfer budget on keeping them here.

Well said, and given the VVD contract, it may already be happening...

Just listen to the true Geordie talk about Wijnaldum. It'll soon put you off.

There will be plenty of competition for Townsend but we should go for it. People call him a one trick pony, but when that one trick is running from deep and scoring from distance (something we are notoriously poor at) then I really don't see the problem. Can't understand the negativity around him to be honest.

Wouldn't be a terrible signing, of course not. But in the Townsend "meh" bucket for me going by the attitude and application comments of fans who have watched him every week.

Echo this sentiment.

P.S That isn't discounting either player of course, merely that unless cheap(ish), I'd hope we went elsewhere. And personally, I'd be looking at Sissoko (could bring some real athleticism back to our central midfield) above either of them. I'd also like to see a bit more of Lascelles, who has popped up in a few games i've watched. That being said, I haven't watched nearly enough of him to form a considered opinion (I.e. could be poor in reality).

Edited by Donatello

Sigurdsson, Trippier and an up and coming youngish cb (Lascelles?) to replace one of Yoshida/Gardos. Then just replace anyone that leaves.

Lascelles looks a decent prospect, although he wasn't great against us. Will be a few clubs after him I think.

This. The guy detests him. Also can't believe (well actually i can) that some would rather have him over Davis because he scored more goals. Seriously?

Also wonder how well it would go down on here if a 15M signing didn't perform for half a season when the team was up against it. The mouth breathers would be all over it.

They seem to have rather a high opinion of themselves. Fast replacing Liverpool as the most arrogant lot around. Would be very funny if Payet legged it somewhere.

It's just a good opportunity for them to push on. Act like a massive club, have got a big stadium, get out in the media a lot, have a good end to the season, and the bigger players might just be persuaded to be part of the "dream". It's just marketing....!

Vilhena seemed a good prospect, shame he's probably headed to inter, but I think that's a safer option than coming to us or the pl in general. May struggle for game time though. I just hope whoever we go for, that we make sure they are physically suitable to the pl, we dont need another juanmi or gaston or to some extent clasie.

Vilhena seemed a good prospect, shame he's probably headed to inter, but I think that's a safer option than coming to us or the pl in general. May struggle for game time though. I just hope whoever we go for, that we make sure they are physically suitable to the pl, we dont need another juanmi or gaston or to some extent clasie.

Clasie will be a big player (not a tall one, admittedly) for us next season IMO - I remember the slating Morgan used to get on here circa 2010/2011.

This. The guy detests him. Also can't believe (well actually i can) that some would rather have him over Davis because he scored more goals. Seriously?

What? yeah we wouldn't want a midfielder who has scored as many goals as Mane ( assuming Mane's 3 goals in one game count as apparently they don't for some) in one season ?

Also it's not replacing Steve Davis we need more options at AM at the moment we have Steve Davis, a good player the wrong side of 30, or JWP (shudder) yet people don't wont a 10 goal a season AM because some fat geordie bloke doesn't rate him ??

Clasie will be a big player (not a tall one, admittedly) for us next season IMO - I remember the slating Morgan used to get on here circa 2010/2011.

JWP has been labelled every summer as someone that will "kick on" or have a great next season and he never has because his physical limitations hold him back.

Replacement for Wanyama = Chieck Tiote (Newcastle).

That aside...another signing...Frank Lampard could still do a job even if it is only bit part, but he'd be quality for the kids.

We've never produced or had a Lampard sort of player..in THAT class bracket.