Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

It'll be a shame to have to replace 3-4 starters, of course. I was hoping we could get away with 2 this year - Wanyama and Pelle (that is unless we received a silly/mental offer for Mane). Who knows, maybe/hopefully we'll dig our heels in a tad.

It'll be a shame to have to replace 3-4 starters, of course. I was hoping we could get away with 2 this year - Wanyama and Pelle - that is unless we received a silly/mental offer for Mane.

Wonder if Jose will want Mane @ Utd this summer?

Of the 5 names mentioned- 4 of them were almost expected anyways. Tadic is the surprise one but if he thinks he can go somewhere better than screw him, he was in and out of our first team this season anyways, as was Pelle.

Pelle £7m, Wanyama £14m, Mane £33m, Tadic £14m and Juanmi £3m. That itself is £70m. Tadic could go for more, I'd just like to see which of the big clubs around the world want him :lol:

If we can spend say, around £90m this summer then that should be more than enough to replace them.

Yes, Koeman would like a settled squad, but I don't blame our board if the players don't sign. I will be unhappy if the scouting goes wrong. Also, I can see why the board want Koeman to commit, I don't think they'd want to spend £90m on someone who will only be here for one more year.

Those five are hardly a meltdown.

Pelle is at an optimal time to sell, would be good business to ship him off to Italy.

Tadic is going to go where, exactly?

Juanmi, give a sh it.

Mane, still not convinced someone is nuts enough to give us thirty old mil for him.

Victor, fine. Not entirely sure where he's going though.

The challege for this year's meltdowners will be the fact that we will probably end up selling players to Everton or West Ham because the players angling for a move are hardly Champions League shoo-ins.

If it's not, it must be VERY close to melting point.

Three of them have been expected for a long time - Austin is basically the Pelle replacement already in place - and one of them is bloody Juanmi.

Tadic is the only surprise but cannot see where he would go that would be a genuine step up.

Juanmi - no loss. Bye.

Pelle expected and can go with club's blessing.

Vic - no surprise at all. Would be great to convince him to stay but he's off.

Tadic. He might want out but no sale..... unless club think they can get a better replacement and a nice pile off cash.

Mane. No sale. If anyone has to be kept it's him.

Those five are hardly a meltdown.

Losing your best three offensive players and your best defensive minded player not named VvD is certainly a meltdown.

Goal leaders last season: Mane (11), Pelle (11), Long (10), Tadic (7)

Assist leaders last season: Tadic (12), Pelle (6), Mane (6), Long (4)

Losing your best three offensive players and your best defensive minded player not named VvD is certainly a meltdown.

Goal leaders last season: Mane (11), Pelle (11), Long (10), Tadic (7)

Assist leaders last season: Tadic (12), Pelle (6), Mane (6), Long (4)

Not when the management of the club would be expecting and planning for this eventuality.

In other news, we finished sixth and are in the Europa League group stage.

But fill your boots and meltdown away.

Any 2 from Praet, Ziyech and Silva to replace Tadic and Juanmi

Sebastian Haller and/ or Vincent Janssen to replace Pelle

Redmond and Townsend to replace Mane

Wanyama will be the hardest to replace - Schneiderlin would be perfect, Cork even - but I expect t someone from Europe - Oscar Hiljdemark maybe - or Marco Benassi

Simples!

Wanyama will be the hardest to replace - Schneiderlin would be perfect, Cork even - but I expect t someone from Europe - Oscar Hiljdemark maybe - or Marco Benassi

Simples!

:lol:

Simples!

Neither are a patch on Mane. He's going to be the hardest to replace. Absolute steal he was. On his day he can roast the best of defenders. Good to have a player like that in the side.

Townsend and Redmond aren't a patch on the bloke.

Players want out so let the rebuilding begin. Your gonna love this summers meltdown. I think i will just unplug the internet and enjoy hopefully some nice sunshine and the Euro's.

What's this new direction we are taking? I assume it will shed some light on who we intend to replace these guys with...

on the Southampton Bible there was a post showing a league of spending for the last 2 seasons (money in and out) We were bottom of the league with a profit of 22m. Leicester were halfway up with a spend of 49m,Spurs were a place above us on -9m. Will we will bring in 60M ish and reinvest a lesser % of that.

What a good investment we are.

Over the past few season i think we have lost more important players than these 5 and have always come back stronger. If it is just those 5 i am sure we can improve on Pelle, Juamni and Tadic. Mane and Wanyama will be more difficult but i don't think it is that far fetched that we could find players to at least match their levels. Keep it to five and i am very excited for this summer and next season

I've always had the opinion that the club invested in Austin with the view to replace Pelle. Is Juanmi a surprise? We'll get a cut price deal on that and he'll be off, in fact it's probably already done. A bit of a non-player.

Wanyama is off, he'd have signed a contract by now if he wasn't. I've accepted that one. Not entirely sure why he wants out though or where he thinks he's going, he's not really a top 4 player. As a top 6 club, we're about his level. He'll move and find that out the hard way though.

We all know Mane wanted off last year, he probably wants off again this year - but it would take a mental deal and I don't see any club paying it, so it's not going to be up to him really.

As a club, we're in the strongest position we ever have been. Finances coming in from TV, sponsorship, kit deals. The ambition is clearly there given the contracts for VVD, Fraser etc and If we do lose players then we've never been in a better position to replace them. This is really not the pre-season for a meltdown. I'm excited about the future.

I can only think club have given likes of VVD and Forster reassurances over clubs ambition. The players talk about the ambition being high but on same note they would know what players likely to leave so can only assume high quality replacements have been lined up. Wouldn't make sense for them to sign extensions otherwise really in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I think Tadic wouldn't be a case of "I'm good enough for a top 4 club" but more "I want to play every week" - I could see him making a sideways step to an Everton or West Ham type, but can't really blame him if it's on the grounds of wanting to play more often. It'd be a shame, because I think when he has a good game we seem to be unstoppable. As for the others, expected but still disappointing to hear it. I love our approach to replacing with cheaper but capable (and sometimes better) replacements, but I think after a couple of years of this it'd be a nice lift to everybody for us to make a bit of a statement...

GET OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN

I've always had the opinion that the club invested in Austin with the view to replace Pelle. Is Juanmi a surprise? We'll get a cut price deal on that and he'll be off, in fact it's probably already done. A bit of a non-player.

Wanyama is off, he'd have signed a contract by now if he wasn't. I've accepted that one. Not entirely sure why he wants out though or where he thinks he's going, he's not really a top 4 player. As a top 6 club, we're about his level. He'll move and find that out the hard way though.

We all know Mane wanted off last year, he probably wants off again this year - but it would take a mental deal and I don't see any club paying it, so it's not going to be up to him really.

As a club, we're in the strongest position we ever have been. Finances coming in from TV, sponsorship, kit deals. The ambition is clearly there given the contracts for VVD, Fraser etc and If we do lose players then we've never been in a better position to replace them. This is really not the pre-season for a meltdown. I'm excited about the future.

Austin has shown very little so far. Not saying he won't. But it suggests a bit of caution is warranted until he does show a bit more.

Austin has shown very little so far. Not saying he won't. But it suggests a bit of caution is warranted until he does show a bit more.

Yeah, well he's not been fit a great deal. Hard to judge him on the pitch at the moment, but with a good pre-season behind him I think we'll see what he's all about. The bloke lives and breathes goals.

Yeah, well he's not been fit a great deal. Hard to judge him on the pitch at the moment, but with a good pre-season behind him I think we'll see what he's all about. The bloke lives and breathes goals.

I know plenty will disagree with me, but I think Pellè offers plenty of link up and hold up play that Austin doesn't.

You can't separate his fitness from his evaluation as a player - it's the reason clubs have stayed clear of him (Never mind his play outside the box is quite different from Pelle's). Hopefully a good preason will make a difference; but until he shows more, talk about him being Pelle or anyone else's replacement seems a tad premature.

more money for us, apart from The Bargain price that Vic will have to go for due to his contract... but if they want to potentially follow Schneiderlin's bench sitting / absent from international squad example, then good for them.

Tbf Vic could play for Accrington Stanley and still Captain the Kenyan team - hell, if I was Kenyan I'd probably have a shot...

You can't separate his fitness from his evaluation as a player - it's the reason clubs have stayed clear of him (Never mind his play outside the box is quite different from Pelle's). Hopefully a good preason will make a difference; but until he shows more, talk about him being Pelle or anyone else's replacement seems a tad premature.

Totally agree with this, so far Austin looks a terrible piece of business he might eat sleep and live goals but he needs two working knees to be any use, jury is still very much out for me. Similarly with Jrod he looks gone from what I've seen so far so realistically getting pelle to sign a minimum 1 year extension should be top priority or we could be starting next season with only one forward!

I'll be gutted if Tadic leaves unless it is for silly season money when he plays we are a better team he has been a revelation and I'm surprised it has taken this long for the wolves to circle!

Simples!

Some of these names are constantly linked, Ziyech for example, and other were mooted last summer, Praet and Hiljdemark.

Janssen from the little I've seen and read looks more of a goalscorer - in the Austin mould - than a replacement for Pelle who has become more of a target man. Of the names mentioned Dost appears the closest to a direct Pelle replacement.

I'd give Redmond (two relegations is that now in three years?) a miss, and never convinced by Townsend. Neiether up to Manes standard.

Wanyama ? MS won't come back. So no idea who that leaves, someone we';ve never heard of perhaps (although the link to the Denis Zakaria bloke looked as if his 'job description' matched up, although only 19 and unproven).

Praet linked in a few places now, anyone any knowledge of him ? (Youtube clips aside).

Personally, I'd like to bring in a couple of young up and coming players from the Championship, Hughes at Derby,Cook at Leeds.

And bring AOC back.

Almost pointless discussing it though as our recruitment phase will probably change direction again once Zlatan signs and we've raised our profile in the market. VW et al will be begiing to stay.:rolleyes:

Personally I'd go back to Arsenal for AOC and Chambers, maybe in a swap for Mane if we have to sell him (i.e. he makes a proper fuss about going). But go for them anyway, £25 - 30 million the pair.

I'd also see if Morgan is Mourinho's plans, we know he loved it here and he's probably not had the best time at Man Utd. If Mourinho comes in and buys a few new centre-mids he could be looking at a season on the bench all year.

Like the Will Hughes shout above, he's always looked a very classy player to me at such a young age, though he's just had a year out pretty much.

There is a big question mark around Austin getting fit and Jay Rod getting back to his old form. So far neither of those have looked that likely, but a full pre-season injury free may change that.

I'd also take Townsend, because £8 million is a decent amount and aside Spurs, he's looked good for both QPR and Newcastle. He' not Mane quality but if he was to go then someone with that pace and directness would be a valuable squad player.

Sounds like we are looking into a couple of different options with Fulham, re: re-signing Stek.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-deal-southampton-maarten-stekelenburg-11378039?

Fulham fans will be very happy he's not coming back to them. I'll be disappointed if we're stuck with him for another year. His long-term shoulder injuries mean he's nowhere near the player he once was. His kicking and positioning are still good but he can't make diving saves. He survives on his past reputation. I can't recall him making one good diving save for us, which is pretty poor for a Premier League goalkeeper. His spell in goal probably cost us a top 4 place last season.

Fulham fans will be very happy he's not coming back to them. I'll be disappointed if we're stuck with him for another year. His long-term shoulder injuries mean he's nowhere near the player he once was. His kicking and positioning are still good but he can't make diving saves. He survives on his past reputation. I can't recall him making one good diving save for us, which is pretty poor for a Premier League goalkeeper. His spell in goal probably cost us a top 4 place last season.

What goals can you list where he was at fault? Its not going to be a big list. He did little wrong and I'd be happy with him as backup to Forster again next season.

He's best back up we have had for as long as I can remember. Far from his best but would still be happy to sign him for another year. Miles better than SKD and Gazza

I don't think its unreasonable to think he is the best backup keeper the club has ever had. The current squad is also the best we've ever had, a huge number of current or recent internationals and more depth than ever before.