Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Chambers is a very good footballer. He can play full back, centre back & centre midfield equally well. His transfer probably disappointed me the most from summer 04. He could quite easily have been ahead of both Stones & Died in their respective positions. He has had limited chances at Arsenal and has not had to fight back from serious injury

If he is available I would take him back though only if the deal is permanent. No brainier in my opinion

Would take Chambers back on a permanent. Young, versatile, home grown and clearly talented. Would be a very nice purchase considering defense is a position where we maybe don't have the depth like in other areas (RB up in the air, CB cover not brilliant) Would be a smart piece of business imo

If we want to get more players in our team that are associated with the England national team then I say take Chambers and Townsend.

Just think in two years time we could have 50% of the starting World Cup team?

Why would we want that? Who is in the 50%? Even with those two added, I can only think of Berty to make it three in total.

Edited by Lighthouse

We don't know for certain that Chambers still has it. Two years of inactivity. Why not take him on loan now, with purchase price agreed, if we want to make it a perm deal. £1M loan fee for the season, another £9M if he makes the grade. If he doesn't prove himself or dislodge Cedric or Martina, we have only spent £1M. I'm not sure I want us to throw a huge fee at Arsenal now in the hope he is still the player he was.

We definitely won't loan him unless there is an option to buy him as well. Personally I thought he did a decent job when Clyne was out but there's no way i'd take him back now. He made it perfectly clear that he didn't see his future at the club even though he came through our academy.

Chambers is a very good footballer. He can play full back, centre back & centre midfield equally well. His transfer probably disappointed me the most from summer 04. He could quite easily have been ahead of both Stones & Died in their respective positions. He has had limited chances at Arsenal and has not had to fight back from serious injury

If he is available I would take him back though only if the deal is permanent. No brainier in my opinion

errr.. no he can't! May turn into a good centre half one day, but certainly can't play there at the moment given that in his first season at Arsenal he was deployed there on a number of occasions and was severely out of his depth to the point where it was sometimes painful to watch. Really liked him at full back when he was here, something different to the marauding full backs of today's premier league but very sturdy. As others have said though, only get him back if it's permanent, especially if we are seriously considering ourselves as competition for the big boys.

Why would we want that? Who is in the 50%? Even with those two added, I can only think of Berty to make it three in total.

Could be the new direction we are taking with the Kbilly comments.

Forster, Townsend, Bertrand, JWP, Taggart, Jayrod (if fit and scoring) and Chambers. If we reached the champions league then I guarantee you that most of these players would play for England if they featured well for Saints.

errr.. no he can't! May turn into a good centre half one day, but certainly can't play there at the moment given that in his first season at Arsenal he was deployed there on a number of occasions and was severely out of his depth to the point where it was sometimes painful to watch. Really liked him at full back when he was here, something different to the marauding full backs of today's premier league but very sturdy. As others have said though, only get him back if it's permanent, especially if we are seriously considering ourselves as competition for the big boys.

He's only just turned 21 and he has been superb at centre back for England U21s in winning the Toulon tournament. There can't be many better centre backs of his age out there right now.

Wasn't it Koeman who was happy to let Chambers go? I seem to remember at the time he wasn't to bothered so I cant see him being overly excited about him being re-signed.

yes i seem to recall he referred to it as a bonus fee coming into the club, probably because he knew he had Clyne so it was a lot of money for a reserve.

Would be a great signing for us, really like him as a player. Only issue would be that I can't see him getting much first team football unless we played him as a defensive midfielder or we started to play with 5 at the back again...

Don't rate Chambers now, didn't really rate him when he was here.

No thanks.

Another dissing of young Saints talent. How old was Chambers between his first team debut and his transfer away? Do you ever give youngsters time to develop their skills? You seem to expect everyone to be Le Tiss's from the moment they set foot on the pitch.

Don't rate Chambers now, didn't really rate him when he was here.

No thanks.

You didn't rate him when he was here? Wow I think that statement really shows up your lack of understanding of the game and players realistic abilities more than anything.

Of course you could of meant that you didn't rate him as the finished article of international standard then in that case I take it back and whole heartedly apologise.

Another dissing of young Saints talent. How old was Chambers between his first team debut and his transfer away? Do you ever give youngsters time to develop their skills? You seem to expect everyone to be Le Tiss's from the moment they set foot on the pitch.

He was a terrific prospect while he covered for clyne, in fact in some ways I thought he was a slight improvement when getting forward. I was surprised we let him go, although it was silly money and ron didn't seem bothered.

are people really saying we 'dont want him back'? I hope it isn't because we've not been hot on returnees in the last few years. Seen a few threads about ex-players being driven by money, left the club in difficult circumstances, made some comments about 'wanting to win things', etc etc.

Chambers seemed to be an alright lad, young and with promise. He moved to arsenal for a tidy sum of money - bear in mind we bought mane for less than we sold chambers - and now there's a rumour he'd return for a few seasons, do a job for us, with an option to buy we hope. How on earth is that a bad thing?

In effect we have cashed in early. Instead of receiving the funds at the end of his time playing with us, he continues for a couple more years. Imagine if we got 30m for Mane this summer but he stayed and played with us for two more seasons while we use the money to find a replacement. Who would complain?

Chambers isn't a game changer admittedly, and the situation isn't the same, but he's not as bad as some of our other replacements along the back line . Get him on board...he can't be on too high wages.

He was a terrific prospect while he covered for clyne, in fact in some ways I thought he was a slight improvement when getting forward. I was surprised we let him go, although it was silly money and ron didn't seem bothered.

I suspect Ron was keen to have the money to spend on players like Mane. It was a difficult time. He was coming to Saints knowing that he would have to rebuild the squad suffering the shock of Poch and key players leaving.

Now RK is demanding commitment and ambition from his players. How might that sit with Chambers returning to the club?

I would happily take both Chambers and Blind. They would be excellent additions to our squad. However, I wouldn't want either just as a loan; loan with agreed purchase price guaranteed, should we choose to do so, also acceptable. If we were only to get one of them then I would opt for Blind.

You didn't rate him when he was here? Wow I think that statement really shows up your lack of understanding of the game and players realistic abilities more than anything.

Of course you could of meant that you didn't rate him as the finished article of international standard then in that case I take it back and whole heartedly apologise.

I think you guys are confusing talent and form. I personally don't rate Jamie Vardy - he's had a good season, but I don't think he's that talented.

When Chambers was here I thought he was in good form, but didn't really see that he had that much talent. He didn't do anything particularly well. Since he's been to Arsenal he has lost that form, and now looks awful (or did until he was completely dropped from their squad).

What would be the point getting him in now? We just finished 6th, we need someone better than he is at the moment.

Signing Chambers and Chamberlain would be a terrific statement and show our academy players perhaps it isn't best to move and waste your potential.

Two home grown players in positions we need to strengthen. I'd take those signings and nothing else if we didn't lose anyone. We'd have a terrific squad then.

arguably still light in midfield though. We've struggled with knowing what is our first choice - wanyama/clasie apparently. Even with the club coming out with statements/quotes after a victory without wanyama like "even with injuries/suspensions this win shows us we have squad depth" I'm not convinced. I'd rather have extra cover in midfield now, even if VW stays for 1 more year, so that the newbie has a season to bed in. Unless it's some kick ass central midfielder, which we aren't likely to change our transfer policy and splash out on.

He wasn't just covering for Clyne. At the end of Chambers' time here, they were viewed as equals and Clyne was dropped for him on a couple of occasions. That was why it was felt we should sell one of them as it seemed unlikely we could keep them both happy here. As it turned out, we probably sold the wrong one, as Clyne wanted to go to Liverpool in the end anyway.

Chambers already has 3 full England caps as well as A Toulon U21 tournament winner's medal, A Charity Shield winner's medal and an FA Cup winner's medal and 83 1st team appearances for Saints & Arsenal, including 10 Champions' League games. Not bad for a player who's only just 21.

It would be great of we could get him back here, even for just one season, as next season is potentially the most crucial in our modern history, with Europa League group stage matches and a real chance to break into the top 4 and win a cup.

I would happily take both Chambers and Blind. They would be excellent additions to our squad. However, I wouldn't want either just as a loan; loan with agreed purchase price guaranteed, should we choose to do so, also acceptable. If we were only to get one of them then I would opt for Blind.

With an agreed purchase price like Toby's?

He wasn't just covering for Clyne. At the end of Chambers' time here, they were viewed as equals and Clyne was dropped for him on a couple of occasions. That was why it was felt we should sell one of them as it seemed unlikely we could keep them both happy here. As it turned out, we probably sold the wrong one, as Clyne wanted to go to Liverpool in the end anyway.

Chambers already has 3 full England caps as well as A Toulon U21 tournament winner's medal, A Charity Shield winner's medal and an FA Cup winner's medal and 83 1st team appearances for Saints & Arsenal, including 10 Champions' League games. Not bad for a player who's only just 21.

It would be great of we could get him back here, even for just one season, as next season is potentially the most crucial in our modern history, with Europa League group stage matches and a real chance to break into the top 4 and win a cup.

Chambers wanted to go to Arsenal, how is that any different or better?

All those achievements were attained simply by the fact that he is at Arsenal, rather than displaying outstanding talent. Medals and trophies don't make you a good player. Eric Djemba Djemba and Francis Jeffers have won the Premier League, whilst Callum McManaman has an FA Cup medal.

10 Champions League games... Kind of sounds alright until you realise that actual means coming on in the 88th minute against teams like Zagreb and Olympiakos.

Signing Chambers and Chamberlain would be a terrific statement and show our academy players perhaps it isn't best to move and waste your potential.

Two home grown players in positions we need to strengthen. I'd take those signings and nothing else if we didn't lose anyone. We'd have a terrific squad then.

Oxlade-chamberlain is too injury prone to consider and Chambers, who I really rated when here, has gone backwards. Given Koeman let him go tells me he won't be coming either.

I'd happily have Chambers back, to me he there was very little chose from between him and Clyne. You also can't blame a player going to Arsenal, it's not like he made a fuss about a move or anything the club got a good offer for a player that wasn't considered essential as we had another good right back and we sold him.

Chambers and Oxlaide-Chamberlain back would be excellent signings IMO, would like Chambers on a permanent though.

VW will probably go but I wouldn't say we're light if he stays. Romeu has been good, Clasie improving and surely JWP will play a part given his new contract? Davis can fill in and Reed is still around.

If/when VW goes I imagine the only signing would be his replacement.

Agreed about romeu, clasie gives us reason to hope. Davis can be the best player in front of the back 5 on occasion, some days the game seems to pass him by. Reed I mean sure, two or three seasons ago he looked as if he could hold his own in the midfield. I honestly have no idea if he's improved or gone downhill since then. Let's hope!! JWP I just cannot place his best position. He's looked both excellent and also awful in various positions, #10, right wing, defensive midfield.

I think that's about enough to give both rotation, a bit of variation and to some extent allows Reed/JWP to get game time - without relying on them too heavily - and improve.

Although it was very unclear....what I was trying to say was more that Wanyama's replacement could go one of two ways:

- we assume that by the time he leaves (this summer?!) players like Romeu, Clasie, assorted others are of a level that they can start for saints and help them push to top 6 in what we expect to be a competitive coming football season. Wanyama's replacement can be at a similar level to what Romeu was last season; not world class, takes time to get to speed but undeliably solid and learning fast

- If they aren't at that level yet, I'd probably say they aren't, then we assume that his replacement is of good enough quality that he can step straight into Wanyama's shoes as being the man to lead our midfield.

This might be hot air at the end of the day, if VW ends up going this summer, we'll have to be quick to either do our business early, have a good pre-season and hope that we're good to start, or else we could be left in a situation where we wished we had 1 more season for our current centre mids to mature.