Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

He's best back up we have had for as long as I can remember. Far from his best but would still be happy to sign him for another year. Miles better than SKD and Gazza

And most importantly, he wants to sign, he is happy in the area. If that article is correct there is not much difference in the positions of the two clubs, I would be surprised if a deal is not agreed.

Surprised some think that that Townsend isn't in the same class as Mane. There's not much in it. Witness the goals he scored at the end of the season against us and Palace for example. He certainly can strike a ball and that's not something you can say about Mane. That wasn't a flash in the pan, he's done it in the past for both club and country. I'm not sure why he was sidelined at spurs but the Newcastle fans certainly took to him.

Mane is quicker and makes good bursts in and around the box, I'm not saying he's not as good, just that they both have their strengths. I woudn't just dismiss Townsend cos his career stalled a little bit.

Surprised some think that that Townsend isn't in the same class as Mane. There's not much in it. Witness the goals he scored at the end of the season against us and Palace for example. He certainly can strike a ball and that's not something you can say about Mane. That wasn't a flash in the pan, he's done it in the past for both club and country. I'm not sure why he was sidelined at spurs but the Newcastle fans certainly took to him.

Mane is quicker and makes good bursts in and around the box, I'm not saying he's not as good, just that they both have their strengths. I woudn't just dismiss Townsend cos his career stalled a little bit.

Mane is way, way better than Townsend. Townsend is a one trick pony and gets figured out by managers, if you stop him cutting in from the right and shooting what else can he do? He is okay for a club like Newcastle (who went down) but I think we should be setting our sights much much higher IMO. Whereas Mane is so unpredictable he has terrorised nearly every defence in the league at some point in these last two seasons.

Think he'd be an okay squad player but a replacement for Mane? No f-king chance!

Are you trolling? :?

Is he any better than Pelle?

"Zaza wants assurances over playing time and appears unwilling to spend another season with Juventus kicking his heels on the bench."

That's that then. RK would never give assurances over playing time, he surely did that with Pelle

I don't think its unreasonable to think he is the best backup keeper the club has ever had. The current squad is also the best we've ever had, a huge number of current or recent internationals and more depth than ever before.

Have you never heard of Neil Moss?

I don't think its unreasonable to think he is the best backup keeper the club has ever had. The current squad is also the best we've ever had, a huge number of current or recent internationals and more depth than ever before.

Flowers was Budgie's understudy.

I don't think its unreasonable to think he is the best backup keeper the club has ever had.

Not his biggest fan, but there might be a case for Paul Jones. Stek has been ok, steady, but he doesn't make top class saves.

What! I give you ....Kasey Keller. (Free) emergency loan signing, and was better than anyone on our books!

John Burridge was such a good back up to Tim Flowers when he first signed' date=' he even ended up stealing Flowers' place for a couple of seasons![/quote']

And don't forget Paul Jones was understudy to Antti Niemi for a while too before moving on. I would say he was a better goalie that Stek any day.

And don't forget Paul Jones was understudy to Antti Niemi for a while too before moving on. I would say he was a better goalie that Stek any day.

Jones was good for us at the time for the size of our club but was prone to some real shockers!

Quite surprised Stekelenberg would come back to sign as a permanent back up keeper. He isn't quite as good as Forster, but could be a reasonable number 1 for a lower half PL team or back abroad. Plus at the end of a 3-year contract (just assuming that's what we would give him), he would be right at the tail end of his career.

Would be a decent permanent signing mind.

Link to Jordon Ibe buried in this article on Liverpool's signing of their new keeper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/24/liverpool-sign-475m-goalkeeper-loris-karius-from-mainz/

Liverpool will look to offload Adam Bogdan who has endured a torrid season after joining from Bolton a year ago. One player who could be on his way out at Liverpool is Jordon Ibe with the club prepared to listen to offers for the winger who has attracted interest from Watford and Southampton.

I've always quite liked him, so I'd be quite happy with this. LOTS of potential.

Surprised they'd let Ibe go, would suit us very well. Again, WITH Mane.

I guess if we lost Mane I'd settle for Ibe AND Townsend to replace him. So long as we keep Tadic.

Yeah, with Mane. Ibe strikes me as being an out & out winger.

Ibe looks decent, fell out with Klopp apparently, so attitude perhaps questionable but then again a 20 year old from London having to live in Liverpool without being on top money or playing regularly would probably turn me into a bit of a ***** as well. Sheyi Ojo however looks brilliant in his cameo's this season but I'd imagine he'll be a regular feature before long so probably not for sale. Although perhaps his life long ambition is to play European football and therefore just couldn't turn down a move to Southampton...

Fulham fans will be very happy he's not coming back to them. I'll be disappointed if we're stuck with him for another year. His long-term shoulder injuries mean he's nowhere near the player he once was. His kicking and positioning are still good but he can't make diving saves. He survives on his past reputation. I can't recall him making one good diving save for us, which is pretty poor for a Premier League goalkeeper. His spell in goal probably cost us a top 4 place last season.

His spell cost us f-all, Forster made mistakes this season (against Spurs for one), can't recall any howlers from him whatsoever

I'd say the loss to united when we dominated for large parts but a poor back pass from Maya Yoshida cost us 1 or 3 points

Then we lost a 2-0 lead to the league champions where questionable kicking from our GK (not Stek) led to one or 2 of their goals cost us 2 points

Then probably one of our poorest games of the season where we couldn't beat one of the poorest teams in premier League history at home (Villa) and lost 2 points.

Then we battered West Ham away for 45 minutes, ended up being only 1-0 up absolutely bottled the second half. lost 1 or 3 points

Then we played a drab game against Norwich but were the better side, Wanyama decides to be an idiot. Lost 1 or 3 points

Then we batter Everton away should score 3-4 goals go 1-0 down, get one back. Lost 2 points.

Those are the games that cost us top 4 it was nothing to do with Stek IMO

Minimum points lost -9 cost us 2nd :lol:

Maximum points lost -15 Would still be 2nd by two points but Leicester would of been under more pressure to win and would of lost to us or someone else therefore those games cost us the title :smug:

Edited by Saint IQ

The Sun were speculating on who Mourinho would sell at United. I think they're wrong, but they reckon Antonio Valencia could be on his way. He would be a superb signing for us.

Not sure what the chances on him coming here would be though, probably slim.

The Sun were speculating on who Mourinho would sell at United. I think they're wrong, but they reckon Antonio Valencia could be on his way. He would be a superb signing for us.

I'd have thought Antonio is right up Jose's street.

Over the hill and on high wages

On a separate note... It's hard sometimes isn't it!? I have practically raised my nephew (and now that I'm getting old, my daughter) be a Saints fan despite all the pressure to conform with school friends by following trophy winners etc... Now Zlatan is (supposedly) heading to UTD, Gooners sign Xhaka and glamour transfers like this will continue for the big clubs over the summer.... you can understand why kids in the South are attracted to the 'big clubs'!

On a separate note... It's hard sometimes isn't it!? I have practically raised my nephew (and now that I'm getting old, my daughter) be a Saints fan despite all the pressure to conform with school friends by following trophy winners etc... Now Zlatan is (supposedly) heading to UTD, Gooners sign Xhaka and glamour transfers like this will continue for the big clubs over the summer.... you can understand why kids in the South are attracted to the 'big clubs'!

Never head a problem with my two. Rickie Lambert (not a glamour signing;)) pretty much turned my two into life long saints fans single handed....

Re: Nathan Redmond

No, no, no... please don't make an offer on a player who is out of contract next summer...plllleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeee don't

Re: Charlie Austin

I couldn't give 2 sh1ts what he's on. Welcome Charlie.