Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Sigurdsson.

or Wijnaldum. I think Wijnaldum is the closest we will get to a younger / improvement over Steven Davis. Can play AM, CM and even DM at a push. Very versatile and thinks and plays like a true no. 10.

Sigurdsson is a genius with the ball. More of a sit in the hole type of player which I'm not sure Koeman likes hence the continued use of Steven Davis. If Sigurdsson could develop his game to be a bit more versatile and "box-to-box", he'd be a terrific signing.

or Wijnaldum. I think Wijnaldum is the closest we will get to a younger / improvement over Steven Davis. Can play AM, CM and even DM at a push. Very versatile and thinks and plays like a true no. 10.

Sigurdsson is a genius with the ball. More of a sit in the hole type of player which I'm not sure Koeman likes hence the continued use of Steven Davis. If Sigurdsson could develop his game to be a bit more versatile and "box-to-box", he'd be a terrific signing.

Newcastle fans very unimpressed with Wijnaldum in the second half the season generally and away from home over the whole season.

Given they paid £15m or so, which would be a club record for us, is he all that?

Only scored two more PL goals than Tadic, none away from home and 4 in one game against a poor Norwich side. Hasn't scored since January so not really doing it when they need it the most either.

If we sold Pelle we might look to someone less senior to replace him. We'd have Long, Austin and Rodriguez after all.

I quite like looking to the Championship for signings sometimes. Only seen him in highlights but I'd be as confident, or maybe more actually of a striker stepping up from the championship than I would the dutch league.

If we replaced Pelle with Nakhi Wells it would bea step down in quality.

Worth remembering Pelle is our top scorer the last two seasons.

You don't replace your top scorer with an unproven player unless you can help it.

If we sold Pelle we might look to someone less senior to replace him. We'd have Long, Austin and Rodriguez after all.

I quite like looking to the Championship for signings sometimes. Only seen him in highlights but I'd be as confident, or maybe more actually of a striker stepping up from the championship than I would the dutch league.

Wells wouldn't be a Pelle replacement. He is 9 inches shorter and is a completely different type of player.

The top Dutch clubs are better than anything in the Championship and their players are tested at European & international level.

Why are people so eager to replace our top scorer? of the last 2 seasons?

Because most of us realise that there is a strong chance he will be off this summer, probably to Italy.

Note, it's not us wanting him to go or us being eager to replace; we just think we might have have to replace him.

The top Dutch clubs are better than anything in the Championship and their players are tested at European & international level.

True, but I have to admit there are no strikers at the moment in the Dutch League who could do a good job in the PL. Maybe Vincent Janssen from AZ in the future.

I'm also all for checking out the Championship scorers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Burnley, Hull and Brighton all hope to get promoted. That leaves Ross McCormack at Fulham. They paid £11M for him, wouldn't want to pay anything like that for him. Someone mentioned Nakhi Wells already. (Huddersfield). Maybe Chris Martin of Derby? When he's not on tour with Coldplay, he could be an option. :)

True, but I have to admit there are no strikers at the moment in the Dutch League who could do a good job in the PL. Maybe Vincent Janssen from AZ in the future.

Both Janssen and Milik could do a job in the PL. Just look at Janssens match at Wembley. He played up top alone but managed quite well against some of the best defenders in the PL. Milik has quite a bit of international experience and scored some important goals for Poland.

Both Janssen and Milik could do a job in the PL. Just look at Janssens match at Wembley. He played up top alone but managed quite well against some of the best defenders in the PL. Milik has quite a bit of international experience and scored some important goals for Poland.

Janssen had a nice friendly game at Wembley and he scores a lot of goals in the Dutch League against minor opponents but against PSV and Ajax or against Feyenoord in the Dutch FA Cup he was nowhere. He works hard and he has potential but he has to get more experience before he leaves Holland. Don't forget he played in the Dutch second division last season and he was sitting on the bench of AZ until last december. When he moves too soon to the PL there's a big chance he ends up like van Wolfswinkel.

Milik is getting better lately at scoring goals but that isn't too difficult when you play as a striker for Ajax in the Dutch League, you'll get plenty of chances against weak defenders. Against minor opponents in the Euro League he didn't deliver and I don't believe he's up for the PL at the moment. He's very static and can't do anything with his right foot, he's too limited in my opinion.

Janssen had a nice friendly game at Wembley and he scores a lot of goals in the Dutch League against minor opponents but against PSV and Ajax or against Feyenoord in the Dutch FA Cup he was nowhere. He works hard and he has potential but he has to get more experience before he leaves Holland. Don't forget he played in the Dutch second division last season and he was sitting on the bench of AZ until last december. When he moves too soon to the PL there's a big chance he ends up like van Wolfswinkel.

Milik is getting better lately at scoring goals but that isn't too difficult when you play as a striker for Ajax in the Dutch League, you'll get plenty of chances against weak defenders. Against minor opponents in the Euro League he didn't deliver and I don't believe he's up for the PL at the moment. He's very static and can't do anything with his right foot, he's too limited in my opinion.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think both have shown enough to be considered ready for the PL even if both have the potential to be a lot better then they are today.

This is the weakest windup for ages.

In case you haven't noticed...

We DON'T have a midfield player who can score a single solitary goal.

This time last year he was still banging them in for Man City and despite the fact he's started less than 10 games for NY

he's still scored 3 goals.

He can cut it in the prem, he's still a class act at 37 and we'd probably have him for free.

And the U18's would learn gobs and gobs from him.

But you know....

I'm OBVIOUSLY talking sh*t.

In case you haven't noticed...

We DON'T have a midfield player who can score a single solitary goal.

This time last year he was still banging them in for Man City and despite the fact he's started less than 10 games for NY

he's still scored 3 goals.

He can cut it in the prem, he's still a class act at 37 and we'd probably have him for free.

And the U18's would learn gobs and gobs from him.

But you know....

I'm OBVIOUSLY talking sh*t.

I'll bite, even though this is obviously fishing.

Steven Davis: 2 goals

Oriel Romeu: 2 goals

Dusan Tadic: 8 goals

Victor Wanyama: 1 goal

James Ward Prowse: 2 goals

so we do have midfielders who can score 'solitary goals', and on multiple occasions. Even if we take you literally to mean you want midfielders who score 1, and only 1 goal, then we still have Wanyama.

If you want midfielders who only score a single goal in their career, you may be right, I don't know if we have any of those.

I'll bite, even though this is obviously fishing.

Steven Davis: 2 goals

Oriel Romeu: 2 goals

Dusan Tadic: 8 goals

Victor Wanyama: 1 goal

James Ward Prowse: 2 goals

so we do have midfielders who can score 'solitary goals', and on multiple occasions. Even if we take you literally to mean you want midfielders who score 1, and only 1 goal, then we still have Wanyama.

If you want midfielders who only score a single goal in their career, you may be right, I don't know if we have any of those.

Steven Davis: 2 goals - in 35 games?

Oriel Romeu: 2 goals - first season and he's not had gobs of games

Dusan Tadic: 8 goals - fair enough

Victor Wanyama: 1 goal - Got to say even I thought he scored more than that tbh.

James Ward Prowse: 2 goals - One was a penalty in the same match.

So really the only player capable of more than 3 goals in an entire season is Dusan Tadic.

That's a pretty damning indictment.

But carry on....

Although people do seem hellbent on proving that a season in, season out PROLIFIC box to box midfielder like Lampard is a BAD idea.

Ok he's 37....but he was still doing for city last year.

$0.02

Frank Lampard is absolutely not the player we need but we could do with more goals from midfield. RK has said that midfielders need to contribute goals in decent numbers so you can imagine someone like that is on his wish list for Les and the rest of the board etc. to go and get in the summer. Not that there are many obvious players around of course. But then Alli wasn't obvious before this season so hopefully the black box will come up trumps.

Yes, what a fantastic buy Kirchhoff has been for Sunderland, and he's still only 25. He's definitely one of the best defensive midfielders I've seen at St Mary's this season, and would be the obvious replacement for Wanyama if he left. But, if Sunderland stay up, they won't need to sell him.

I was thinking the same thing. How much did Sunderland pay for him? Very good player. Keeps it simple, good in the air and always seems to be where the ball is. I like their left back too, not that I think we would have the budget for a player like to compete with Bartrand. But if you want to seriously challenge having strength at fullback is critical.

I was thinking the same thing. How much did Sunderland pay for him? Very good player. Keeps it simple, good in the air and always seems to be where the ball is. I like their left back too, not that I think we would have the budget for a player like to compete with Bartrand. But if you want to seriously challenge having strength at fullback is critical.

Around 750k, I believe.

Sign Chamberlain, Redmond and Morgan, and there's a good chance I'll wet myself.

Redmond is so average which is why half the time he doesn't even start for Norwich and when he does his end product is modelled on Aaron Lennon.

Not good enough for us.

as always, Prem. clubs will be looking to see which players they can " cherry-pick " from the soon-to-be relegated sides...

Of course all relegated sides will say that they want to keep their best players and return to the Prem. next season, but it hardly ever happens.

The truth of the matter is that when clubs take a long look at their salary commitments and the potential loss of income (when in the Championship) even the parachute payments don't cover that much, and all ambitious players (there, we've said that word again)....won't want to stay in the lower level for too long.

QPR were stubbornly insistant that they wanted £15 million for Charlie Austin - and (reportedly) even refused a £12 million bid (from someone).

Finally they were glad to take our money with only months left on Charlie's contract.

Not sure who " the Black Box " may have highlighted from the doomed sides, but we might find ourselves picking up yet another bargain from somewhere.

Steven Davis: 2 goals - in 35 games?

Oriel Romeu: 2 goals - first season and he's not had gobs of games

Dusan Tadic: 8 goals - fair enough

Victor Wanyama: 1 goal - Got to say even I thought he scored more than that tbh.

James Ward Prowse: 2 goals - One was a penalty in the same match.

So really the only player capable of more than 3 goals in an entire season is Dusan Tadic.

That's a pretty damning indictment.

But carry on....

Although people do seem hellbent on proving that a season in, season out PROLIFIC box to box midfielder like Lampard is a BAD idea.

Ok he's 37....but he was still doing for city last year.

$0.02

He's not doing it for NY this year though is he? Hasn't played a single minute this season yet am I right? Not denying what a great player he has been but it's an incredibly short term signing and one with loads of risk baring in mind his fitness and cost. Not to mention I doubt he'll be interested.

I'm all for signing a goal scoring midfielder though. Just one at a good age that might do it for longer than a season at most.

Think for our budget and stature in epl Sigurrdson would be perfect, we wont get much better due to fees and the fact every quality am thinks they belong at madrid/barca/man u, unless we can pluck out a talent like what payet and kante is Gylfi would be ideal. It would be nice also to go for Zitech or bas dost if pele goes, flame suit on but agree with another poster about going for Matt Richie

I like their left back too, not that I think we would have the budget for a player like to compete with Bartrand. But if you want to seriously challenge having strength at fullback is critical.

Do you mean Patrick van Aanholt? He cost Sunderland around a £2M transfer fee and around £50k a month. We'd have to better that, but he wouldn't be the most expensive player, even for a back-up. If they go down, worth a shot, but probably mainly as a back-up for left back or midfield.

Redmond is so average which is why half the time he doesn't even start for Norwich and when he does his end product is modelled on Aaron Lennon.

Not good enough for us.

I reckon he's going to be a great player.

The Morgan I was referring to was Schneiderlin not Wes.

Hmmm. Bentley is more... I don't know. Trustworthy? Bit harsh on Gazzaniga but you feel his concentration isn't there. Not much between then apart from the fact Gazza has had a couple of season in and around the first team at a Prem club. Nothing to say Bentley couldn't be better with the same chance.

I agree Bentley is a good shot stopper but so is Gazzaniga. Distribution of Gazzaniga is far superior though. Coming for high balls about the same. Been to Root Hall a lot too.

Hope we can get a decent replacement for Davis in the summer. He is too wasteful in the final third for my liking and for an attacking midfielder doesn't score or assist enough. Been a good servant, but there has to be a younger model out there somewhere.

Right..

Just **supposing** Liverpool came in for Mane. It's been rumoured.

Now..

I would rather he didn't go there BUT if it was to be considered..who would be adverse to taking Jordan Ibe in P/x?...

I mean..£25M cash + Ibe.

I'm valuing Ibe at somewhere between £10 and £15M

Ibe's wages wouldn't be too drastic either....

Edited by Ice2Eskimos

Hope we can get a decent replacement for Davis in the summer. He is too wasteful in the final third for my liking and for an attacking midfielder doesn't score or assist enough. Been a good servant, but there has to be a younger model out there somewhere.

Defends from the front brilliantly and keeps the ball tremendously well though. What we perhaps need is a complimentary player that offers a little more flair and can help unlock defences - what Juanmi was bought to do.