The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

The current regime have only signed one, and clearly did not get that one right either in terms of him signing up to the Southampton Way. Sadly our current board are being shown up now as a bit of a shambles, no evidence of the legendary succession planning when reality bites.

Not turning into a bed wetter are you vectis? Do you really expect us to get a manager in just like that? Succession planning or not. This is a very important point in the clubs history - get he wrong manager and it could set us back a few years(never mind how much the salary is) - get the right one and we march on.

I'm happy to wait for a while longer at least until I start questioning a board that has implemented and overseen the rise to where we find ourselves today.

The current regime have only signed one, and clearly did not get that one right either in terms of him signing up to the Southampton Way. Sadly our current board are being shown up now as a bit of a shambles, no evidence of the legendary succession planning when reality bites.

Always a reliable source of forum gold.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport 57s57 seconds ago

It's my understanding that neither Manuel Pellegrini nor Jurgen Klinsmann are being pursued by #saintsfc to be their new manager

I'm hoping for Claude Puel!

dacbd6f16cf38e4e96ec7a9edeb4a5ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sigh. Another one who would prefer a knee jerk appointment.

Just because I'm not excited or inspired by any of the candidates.....doesn't make it a 'knee jerk reaction' to be concerned.

I don't think I'm alone in the thought we are picking from the best of a mediocre lot.....barring a proven Pellegrini of course.

The fact that many names, on a daily basis are being linked, means we don't know who we want or how to get them. Atleast Everton did that.

They made it clear they wanted Koeman.....does the club or even us have a preferred candidate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puel would be the most uninspiring of choices, I can't see why he is even being considered as an option. His appointment would leave fans and probably also the players feeling flat. I would lose all faith in the club if puel gets the job

+1 Only managed in France - poor win ratio.

Bit knee jerk from me but disappointed we didnt get MPel as for me he is ideal.

Just because I'm not excited or inspired by any of the candidates.....doesn't make it a 'knee jerk reaction' to be concerned.

I don't think I'm alone in the thought we are picking from the best of a mediocre lot.....barring a proven Pellegrini of course.

Koeman had a pretty mediocre management record when he joined us - its just his image was boosted by his record as a player. Silva's track record would be an upgrade

The fact that many names, on a daily basis are being linked, means we don't know who we want or how to get them. Atleast Everton did that.

They made it clear they wanted Koeman.....does the club or even us have a preferred candidate?

The fact that we are being linked with many names on a daily basis means absolutely diddly squiddly. Everton shouted Koeman from the rooftops because they wanted to take him from us.

All we know is that we know nothing. I imagine the club want to keep it that way for now.

The fact that we are being linked with many names on a daily basis means absolutely diddly squiddly. Everton shouted Koeman from the rooftops because they wanted to take him from us.

All we know is that we know nothing. I imagine the club want to keep it that way for now.

Another first timer.... welcome to the forum Ralph :)

Pellegrini would have been a lazy choice. Not remotely suited to our club. Puel, Silva, De Boer are much more likely types and I'd be encouraged if we went for one of them that we would have done our homework on them.

Pochettino underwhelmed everyone and turned out to be one of the best PL appointments of the last decade. Les Reed has proven he knows what he's doing and deserves a bit of faith from the supporters

I'm afraid to say that the bit in bold is pure conjecture (and really not fact in the slightest) and thus likely to be complete and utter bollicks.

puel would be the most uninspiring of choices, I can't see why he is even being considered as an option. His appointment would leave fans and probably also the players feeling flat. I would lose all faith in the club if puel gets the job

Agreed. Smacks of desperation. We can do better.

Think we have nobody at the moment and we'll all have to be patient.

Ommmmmmm

In fact he would have the distinction of eventually being the first Saints manager that I've never heard of before.

You had heard of Pochettino then? The only reason I'd heard of him was when there was an article on him coming to us around November October time that said we were considering him and it turned out to be spot on. Otherwise I really hadn't heard of him at all having not really watched Spanish football much back then.

You had heard of Pochettino then? The only reason I'd heard of him was when there was an article on him coming to us around November October time that said we were considering him and it turned out to be spot on. Otherwise I really hadn't heard of him at all having not really watch Spanish football much back then.

Of course, Mauricio played for Paris St Germain at the time that I watched their every game.

Of course, Mauricio played for Paris St Germain at the time that I watched their every game.

Ah fair enough. If you read up on him people have got to admit his record is very impressive and he's shown he has implemented a style at 3 separate clubs, which is the reason FDB is so far down the list apparently. Likes playing and developing youth as well, Olympiakos purposely brought loads of young talent in when they chose to appoint him. Has a European record of most wins in a row from last season and beat Arsenal 3-2 in the CL. Started by getting a club from languishing in the 2nd Portuguese division for 7 years up as champions then got them record finishes in the top flight of 5th and 4th. Then won Sporting a cup

Edited by Saint IQ

Telegraph update: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/23/manuel-pellegrini-latest-potential-southampton-manager-to-drop-o/

- Saints seriously looked into Pellegrini

- Don't think he suits our player development orientated approach

- Not quite the right fit for us on the training ground

- Puel and Pereira are candidates

- Klinsmann was never even on any shortlist or under consideration

- Wanyama sale is imminent

- Redmond arrival is imminent

- Saints hope to have a new manager by the 28th still

Telegraph update: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/23/manuel-pellegrini-latest-potential-southampton-manager-to-drop-o/

- Saints seriously looked into Pellegrini

- Don't think he suits our player development orientated approach

- Not quite the right fit for us on the training ground

- Puel and Pereira are candidates

- Klinsmann was never even on any shortlist or under consideration

- Wanyama sale is imminent

- Redmond arrival is imminent

- Saints hope to have a new manager by the 28th still

ah, this is where saints do everything quietly.

good read BTW