The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

I find it amusing that we would be happy with any Carlos Kickaball we've never heard of because it worked with Poch.

Madness.

We're the only job going in the richest league in the world, and we've got a European place. We should be aiming higher than a lot of the no mark names that are being bandied around.

That said, Les Reed has a history of pulling rabbits from hats. Fingers crossed he gets this right. I'm very disappointed it's not going to be Pellegrini (as is my bank account).

Telegraph update: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/23/manuel-pellegrini-latest-potential-southampton-manager-to-drop-o/

- Saints seriously looked into Pellegrini

- Don't think he suits our player development orientated approach

- Not quite the right fit for us on the training ground

- Puel and Pereira are candidates

- Klinsmann was never even on any shortlist or under consideration

- Wanyama sale is imminent

- Redmond arrival is imminent

- Saints hope to have a new manager by the 28th still

So reading that Les basically wants a mopo clone. Might as well just go to spurs and offer poch four times his current salary and everything he wants Les....

So reading that Les basically wants a mopo clone. Might as well just go to spurs and offer poch four times his current salary and everything he wants Les....

But the problem with that is that we can't offer Champion's League football. That's what he wants, he came here to get it but Nico got sacked.

Baffling! If MP was interested why on earth aren't we snapping his arm off. He's a top manager coming off of a good season with City. Either he wasn't in the running at all or flat out rejected us, surely we didn't reject him.

If that was a good season for city , what would make a bad one ?

I'd have no problem with Pellegrini and it certainly looks as if he's been on the short list but if he was the chosen candidate there doesn't appear to be any reason not to announce it. The talk about his Man City contract lasting until 30 June is no obstacle to an announcement in the same way that City announced the forward appointment of Guardiola. The delay suggests that perhaps Pellegrini is second choice while details are thrashed out with the preferred candidate.

If that is Marco Silva few of us know enough about him, or anything at all, to take a view but we are beginning to hear positive noises. We should also have confidence in Les Reed and his team to recommend the best person to the Board.

Looking back on Koeman's failure to develop young players into the first team, it's been tempting to blame the quality available in the Academy but it could just be Koeman's stated position that you must have a side consisting of international players. Logically, that would never allow any young player to break through. That seems to contrast with Pochettino, who gave Premier League starts to a succession of Academy or uncapped players with the result that people like Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Clyne and Chambers went on to be selected for England. Pochettino has done the same at Tottenham by showing confidence in players such as Kane and Alli who had not had full caps until after he played them in the side. Nigel Adkins did the same when he took Saints into the Prem, giving 17-year old James Ward-Prowse a start in our first Premier League match away to Man City.

If Marco Silva is a return to that philosophy after Koeman's dead hand on young players, that could be a deciding factor nudging him ahead of Pellegrini who is probably more used to following a similar line to Koeman.

I'd have no problem with Pellegrini and it certainly looks as if he's been on the short list but if he was the chosen candidate there doesn't appear to be any reason not to announce it. The talk about his Man City contract lasting until 30 June is no obstacle to an announcement in the same way that City announced the forward appointment of Guardiola. The delay suggests that perhaps Pellegrini is second choice while details are thrashed out with the preferred candidate.

If that is Marco Silva few of us know enough about him, or anything at all, to take a view but we are beginning to hear positive noises. We should also have confidence in Les Reed and his team to recommend the best person to the Board.

Looking back on Koeman's failure to develop young players into the first team, it's been tempting to blame the quality available in the Academy but it could just be Koeman's stated position that you must have a side consisting of international players. Logically, that would never allow any young player to break through. That seems to contrast with Pochettino, who gave Premier League starts to a succession of Academy or uncapped players with the result that people like Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Clyne and Chambers went on to be selected for England. Pochettino has done the same at Tottenham by showing confidence in players such as Kane and Alli who had not had full caps until after he played them in the side. Nigel Adkins did the same when he took Saints into the Prem, giving 17-year old James Ward-Prowse a start in our first Premier League match away to Man City.

If Marco Silva is a return to that philosophy after Koeman's dead hand on young players, that could be a deciding factor nudging him ahead of Pellegrini who is probably more used to following a similar line to Koeman.

Pochettino carried on that Philosophy at Spurs introducing that kid Josh Onomah many times in a title race no less.

The criteria from the Telegraph piece:

Southampton want a manager who encourages a high-pressing and passing style, as well as a willingness to promote young players and, ideally, experience of European football.

I think we'd all agree with that. But ONLY if the kids are good enough. Ronald gets some sh*t for not playing enough kids, but if Chambers & Shaw were still around, I bet he would have played them.

I'm going to try a new sport . Press baiting . Put a story on the forum an someone will run with it

Here goes the real reason we have not appointed anyone is that the club are in complex negotiations with a multi billionaire to sell the club . Once this is concluded the new owners will then announce a household name as our new owner .

Do you expect it the next day?

They said they always have a list of people to target. So that happens. It's been a few weeks FFS, it's like listening to a bunch of five year olds. Chelsea's manager isn't even taking charge of them for a while yet.

Perhaps the board would rather get it right than rush to please a bunch of internet kids?

It's light hearted you boring goon. You're one of the main culprits for 5 year old-esq trantrums around here.

I think we'd all agree with that. But ONLY if the kids are good enough. Ronald gets some sh*t for not playing enough kids, but if Chambers & Shaw were still around, I bet he would have played them.

Tend to agree with this, if tottenham sold all their best youngsters leaving the 'not so good' ones they could hardly go on to moan that the manager never plays youngsters.

I'm going to try a new sport . Press baiting . Put a story on the forum an someone will run with it

Here goes the real reason we have not appointed anyone is that the club are in complex negotiations with a multi billionaire to sell the club . Once this is concluded the new owners will then announce a household name as our new owner .

Would work better if you left out the first paragraph surely?

Just announced on SSN that Blanc has left PSG so I guess that's Unai Emery off the list.

I wouldn't say I have got to melt down stage but I am concerned. We've been told that the black box has next managerial targets identified all the time but it seems (I could be wrong) that we haven't got a clue.

I'm concerned we are trying to find the next MoPo but we'll end up with the next Remi Garde. With EL group stage we should be looking at a manager who could can attract players otherwise our continued growth could start going backwards.

I hope Les is looking at what is best for Saints and not enhancing his own reputation for finding a diamond in the rough because eventually he's going to end up with a duff.

Just announced on SSN that Blanc has left PSG so I guess that's Unai Emery off the list.

I wouldn't say I have got to melt down stage but I am concerned. We've been told that the black box has next managerial targets identified all the time but it seems (I could be wrong) that we haven't got a clue.

I'm concerned we are trying to find the next MoPo but we'll end up with the next Remi Garde. With EL group stage we should be looking at a manager who could can attract players otherwise our continued growth could start going backwards.

I hope Les is looking at what is best for Saints and not enhancing his own reputation for finding a diamond in the rough because eventually he's going to end up with a duff.

Think that covers my thoughts too but then I am still ****ed off we didn't go for Pellegrini who I thought was ideal for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puel sounds very mediocre looking at his record. Maybe the club are trying to look a bit more long term by appointing a slightly lesser manager that won't be good enough for other clubs to steal off us. May aswell splint Remi Garde as this guy. Seriously who the hell , especially a club our size, turns down Pellegrini

That's Puel or Silva.

Puel sounds very mediocre looking at his record. Maybe the club are trying to look a bit more long term by appointing a slightly lesser manager that won't be good enough for other clubs to steal off us. May aswell splint Remi Garde as this guy. Seriously who the hell , especially a club our size, turns down Pellegrini

A club that realises just because a manager has had success in the past doesn't mean he will be a success at ours. A club that maybe realises getting a manager who is on the same wavelength as them is more important than getting a big name necessarily.

The board went a bit off piste with Koeman as they knew we would be selling a lot of players and we therefore needed a big name manager to steady the ship and be able to attract players instantly. We aren't in that situation anymore.

Pellegrini did a very average job at City (had everything handed to him on a plate and still failed), came across as unbelievably dull, uninspiring, old and didn't really bring through any youngsters despite having some of the best young talent in Europe at his disposal.

I'm looking forward to us having a manager who will trust and develop our youngsters and won't be constantly undermining the board in the press as regularly as Koeman did

Silva appears to be far more preferable than Puel, looking at their respective records and who they've managed

Exactly he has only managed in France a poor win ratio and as you say a Remi Garde potentially.

How will he cope with Premiership prima donnas?

Am concerned although club has deserved some slack but doesn't stop me being worried we have turned down a top top manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silva appears to be far more preferable than Puel, looking at their respective records and who they've managed

Has just been linked with Forest by the local paper there as they are set for a Greek-backed takeover. If so, let's hope the club have some better and more exciting options than Puel in the bag!

Perfectly sums up my thoughts.

Whats the difference between Silva and Perreira that makes the former appealing but not the latter? Both only managed and suceeded in Mickey Mouse leagues.

Whats so bad about Puel? Does he have lots of relegations and no European experience?

Whats the difference between Silva and Perreira that makes the former appealing but not the latter? Both only managed and suceeded in Mickey Mouse leagues.

Whats so bad about Puel? Does he have lots of relegations and no European experience?

Pereira's never managed more than one season at every club, and has always had the biggest club or the club with the most resources.

Silva is younger, worked miracles with Estoril and then did very well with Sporting before going to Olympiakos and bettering Pereira's record by some distance.

Pereira's never managed more than one season at every club, and has always had the biggest club or the club with the most resources.

Silva is younger, worked miracles with Estoril and then did very well with Sporting before going to Olympiakos and bettering Pereira's record by some distance.

What is Silva's playing style? Had a brief look at work earlier but couldn't find anything specific.

I assume the targets are nothing more than a starting point that identifies managers who might fit what the clubs wants rather than a list of phone numbers they just call up and offer a job to. I doubt the likes of Pellegrini or Klinsmen were ever on the black box list in the first place.